Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Heath's digging himself a hole early...

Started by Marshfieldhog, November 08, 2006, 09:37:46 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Marshfieldhog

...by only signing one guard that was not highly recruited. Heath put all his eggs in one basket with James Anderson and poof, Anderson will sign with OSU or Kansas. Heath is only talking about maybe signing one more player in the spring and usually most of the great players sign in the fall. The problem for Heath is this, if the struggles continue this year or even if he just has a so-so season then he's done. He can't say "help is one the way" because with no seniors we will have the same bunch next year and that's providing Townes or Hill doesn't go Darnell and go pro. Heath better plan on over 20 wins and some success in the postseason. Losing Anderson was crucial for Heath.

HogFan82

I graduated from the hill in 04 and since then have been out of state. From reading this message board it seems like everybody is getting on heath's back. why? Every year he has coached here he has won more games than the previous year.

davis01

Wait and see if you can say that this year.

HogISH™

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 09:50:06 am
I graduated from the hill in 04 and since then have been out of state. From reading this message board it seems like everybody is getting on heath's back. why? Every year he has coached here he has won more games than the previous year.

because they have nothing better to do... sad sad sad

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

Razorback_Z71

I dont understand why there are so many people upset at SH.  Stan has done nothing, but improve every single year in both wins and recruiting rankings. 

The real Hogules

November 08, 2006, 09:53:00 am #5 Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 09:55:21 am by The real Hogules
Jesus, what did you want the guy to do?
He did everything he could legally to make the kid feel wanted and the kid chose another school, big deal!
Also never think that Stan Heath puts all his eggs into one basket either.
He still has a SF that Louisville and UK are both wanting to visit, (the kid is from Kentucky) and he's told both UL & UK to FO.
It'll either be Arkansas or Penn St. in the early signing period, or he may wait until spring to sign.
This team "MAY" struggle a little early while players learn their teammates tendencies, but they're a better defensive team and have the potential to be and even better shooting team than last years team was too.
Another point, if we do have a good year I can see a lot of advantages to returning the entire team the following season, can't you????
And on a final note, James Anderson not choosing Arkansas will have MUCH longer lasting ramifications for J.A. than it will for either Stan Heath or the University of Arkansas.
A perfect example would be last years recruitment of the kid from Memphis-Young, I believe.
He ended up choosing Georgia Tech over us and hometown (not home "state") Memphis, and yet the next day the sun came up here in Arkansas and in Memphis as well,  and it has continued to do so every day since he made his choice.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Kevin n Hog Heaven

I've never understood the double standard that exists between Nutt and Heath. Heath has done nothing but improve every single year and it's not good enough. He didnt even get the benefit of taking over a program that had great players in motion. He started from scratch with a bare cupboard. I won't even start with the Nuttster everyone should know where I stand with him.

Razorback_Z71

you beat me to it.. lol

Melhog

Quote from: Razorback_Z71 on November 08, 2006, 09:54:35 am
you beat me to it.. lol

Me too. And lets add "contrary to his counterpart in football".  That's the part I don't understand. When he got here, he had absolutely nothing.  When Dale got here, he had some pretty decent talent Ford left for him.

Hog Fan from Camden

you beat me to it.. lol

Amazing ain't it!

Marshfieldhog

Three problems....

# 1- This is year five and ZERO NCAA wins under Heath.

# 2-  Heath turned down 2 players that were rated high waiting on Anderson..not a good idea.

# 3- And  most important to JFB...Ticket sales have declined the last 5 years under Heath. Wins are going up and ticket sales are going down which means fans are not excited about Heath.

I hope Heath does well, goes to the sweet 16, and returns a Final Four type club next year but reality paints a different picture...we will see during the next few months.

HogFan82

Quote from: HogISH™ on November 08, 2006, 09:52:07 am

because they have nothing better to do... sad sad sad

HogISH

I see. :)

Carolinas Hog

November 08, 2006, 10:06:17 am #12 Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 10:08:10 am by Carolinas Hog
Quote from: Kevin n Hog Heaven on November 08, 2006, 09:54:05 am
I've never understood the double standard that exists between Nutt and Heath. Heath has done nothing but improve every single year and it's not good enough. He didnt even get the benefit of taking over a program that had great players in motion. He started from scratch with a bare cupboard. I won't even start with the Nuttster everyone should know where I stand with him.

First, the wins thing does not really hold much water.  Last year was a solid step but the other years with "more wins" did not really show me much.  This arguement is much like the we're 19 - 1 in Little Rock arguement.

Personally, I try not to compare Nutt and Heath.  Building programs in the two sports is too different to effective compare the coaches.  I can point out the differences.

My expectations for Stan are higher than he has reached to date.  My definition of a good basketball program is one that makes the NCAA's every year, and 2/3 of the time reaching the Sweet 16 or better.  This is actually a little below the type of program we had in the late 80's and most of the 90's.

Building this caliber of basketball program, is easier than builing a similar caliber football program.  1 superstar player makes up 20% of your starting team in basketball, thus, the impact of one or two successful recruiting classes can take a team from single digit wins to NCAA tourney team or better.  Also, 18 year olds are more physically equipped to compete with upperclassmen in basketball, as opposed to football (in most cases).

Finally, for Arkansas specifically, our recent basketball history (last 20 years) should give most any Arkansas coach a leg up.  Stan came in with a bare cupboard, but he had some great benefits to use.

To me, he does not have the basketball program where it should be coming into year 5.
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

HogFan82

Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 08, 2006, 10:03:38 am
Three problems....

# 2-  Heath turned down 2 players that were rated high waiting on Anderson..not a good idea.

# 3- And  most important to JFB...Ticket sales have declined the last 5 years under Heath. Wins are going up and ticket sales are going down which means fans are not excited about Heath.

I hope Heath does well, goes to the sweet 16, and returns a Final Four type club next year but reality paints a different picture...we will see during the next few months.

Yes it is year 5, but look at the team he had to start with in year 1. You look at it pretty negative, but I think this is just the beginning of SH. C'mon he has won more games every year than the previous, how can you argue with that. Especially considering what he started with here.

hogfankb

We haven't even played a real game yet. The jury is still out.

Swino

I will wait and pass my judgement in January on this team.  The past has already proven that SH isn't a very good coach, now we have to see if these people will gel into a team. 

yocdaddy

They get on Heath's back because they are negative Nellies.  You know the type, the ones who must constantly stir the pot. To do that, they tear down everything they can around them.  

Heath has done a good job.  When he got the job here, we had the worst team in the conference.  The cupboard was completely bare, and we have steadily improved each season.  
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:07:51 am
Quote from: Marshfieldhog on November 08, 2006, 10:03:38 am
Three problems....

Yes it is year 5, but look at the team he had to start with in year 1. You look at it pretty negative, but I think this is just the beginning of SH. C'mon he has won more games every year than the previous, how can you argue with that. Especially considering what he started with here.

Come on...stop using this strawman to support Heath.  Should we be playing all of our games in LR, where we are 19-1 under Nutt?  You can't argue with 19-1, right?
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

Buff

Answer these questions, and then see if you can figure out the discontent:

How many times have his teams here reached the NCAA tourney? 
What was the final result last season?

HogFan82

How about he went from 9 wins in his first year to a record of 22-9 last year. 10-6 in conference. 3rd best conference record. I would say that is a pretty good improvement in his time here. did you expect arkansas to go from a piss poor bball team a legitamate contender already? I didnt, but I definately think we are on the right track.

Buff

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:11:50 am
did you expect arkansas to go from a piss poor bball team a legitamate contender already?

in 5 years - yes

HogFan82

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on November 08, 2006, 10:11:11 am
Answer these questions, and then see if you can figure out the discontent:

How many times have his teams here reached the NCAA tourney? 
What was the final result last season?

He started with an ABSOLUTELY TERRIBLE team. In four years he made the tourny and lost a VERY close first round game. Lets see what happens this year.

cubsfan5150

Just give him a couple more years and he'll have a GREAT team.  He is a great recruiter and college basketball is one sport that you don't have to be a great coach to win at.
QuoteWest Side Rooter wrote:

Always best to talk [expletive] about a team when you don't have to face them again.

I'd do the same. LaRussa's a nutjob and would probably throw at his head.
ETA: A bottle of wine, not a baseball.
ETA: Empty bottle, obviously.

HogFan82

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on November 08, 2006, 10:12:38 am
did you expect arkansas to go from a piss poor bball team a legitamate contender already?

in 5 years - yes

You realize this is Arkansas right? Not UCONN. I'm sure there were all kinds of top recruits just waiting to sign with arkansas, especially considering how bad they sucked for the last how many years. (sarcasm)

South_Ark_Pig

Quote from: Melhog on November 08, 2006, 09:59:29 am
you beat me to it.. lol

Me too. And lets add "contrary to his counterpart in football".  That's the part I don't understand. When he got here, he had absolutely nothing.  When Dale got here, he had some pretty decent talent Ford left for him.

if ford had talent why did he only win 4 games? ford sucked. nutt is way better than ford

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:17:01 am

in 5 years - yes

You realize this is Arkansas right? Not UCONN. I'm sure there were all kinds of top recruits just waiting to sign with arkansas, especially considering how bad they sucked for the last how many years. (sarcasm)

Yes, this is Arkansas.  10 years ago we had the same caliber program UConn has today.  Nolan tore it down.  However, when you're program was as good at ours, that recently, it doesn't take a good college basketball coach to get the program back to one who wins in the NCAA.  

hogfankb

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:12:09 am
Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:07:51 am
C'mon he has won more games every year than the previous, how can you argue with that. Especially considering what he started with here.

The most meaningless stat in the history of message boards. 

Whoa whoa Fresh. I think you are getting a little ahead of yourself. Do you not remember any of the debates from last year. I can think of atleast one stat that came up in almost every basketball thread last year that is worse than how many games a team has won. Points Per Shot.

Buff

in 5 years - yes

My bad.  I forgot that we were lowly Arkansas.  1994 NCAA champs.  Don't ever tell me that we can't recruit to Arkansas.  I will call BS on that every time.

Kevin n Hog Heaven

Quote from: South_Ark_Pig on November 08, 2006, 10:17:02 am
Quote from: Melhog on November 08, 2006, 09:59:29 am
you beat me to it.. lol

if ford had talent why did he only win 4 games? ford sucked. nutt is way better than ford
That's funny. Ford has a ring pretty sure.

HogFan82

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:15:29 am
Quote from: cubsfan5150 on November 08, 2006, 10:14:42 am
Just give him a couple more years and he'll have a GREAT team.  He is a great recruiter and college basketball is one sport that you don't have to be a great coach to win at.

Baloney!  You don't need 7 years to build a basketball program!

So every team should be great then. I mean they have only had countless years to build a program.

HogFan82

Quote from: Buffinator:  Reloaded on November 08, 2006, 10:26:35 am

in 5 years - yes

My bad.  I forgot that we were lowly Arkansas.  1994 NCAA champs.  Don't ever tell me that we can't recruit to Arkansas.  I will call BS on that every time.

Yes, during Nolans last few years and SH's first 2, we were lowly Arkansas. Everybody but people from Arkansas see that.  SH is getting us back on the right page.

HogFan82

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:30:08 am

in 5 years - yes

You're right.  We're not UConn.  We're ARKANSAS.  A Top 10 historical program.  3 Final Fours in the 90's and an NCAA Title. 

Nice try.  It's work in football thanks to an unnamed reporter who follows recruiting for the ADG but I'm not buying this one in basketball.

Yes TWELVE years ago we were an awesome program.  But nolan lead us to the cellar of the SEC afterwards. I am sure alot of todays recruits are thinking "Arkansas, yeah I think I will go there, afterall they were good when I was SIX."  I think instead they see Arkansas as good up and coming program under SH.

LZH

I read yesterday about how he wants his team to play up-tempo, etc.  I think that's what fans want to see (referring to the decline of butts in seats at BWA).  Winning is one thing (should be the only thing), but 40 minutes of hell built BWA and kept it full for the most part.  People just don't want to win anymore, they want excitement...they want to stomp the piss out of someone while running 100mph in the process.  Maybe he has figured that out or maybe that has been pointed out to him.  Not saying I agree, just pointing that out.

HogFan82

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:32:22 am
Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:31:24 am

in 5 years - yes

Yes, during Nolans last few years and SH's first 2, we were lowly Arkansas. Everybody but people from Arkansas see that.  SH is getting us back on the right page.

Is the right page a line or two below Bucknell ???

Yeah, I hate seeing the program get better every year. Booooo. Stop improving every year. Boooo.

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:29:52 am
So every team should be great then. I mean they have only had countless years to build a program.

No, some teams do not have good coach's.  There is more to building a basketball program than time...

12under

in 5 years - yes

do "great fans" show up to bball games no matter what, or do they show up in numbers of about 6000 for the first two preseason games?  i dont care if its preseason or not, 6000 in a 20000 seat arena is awful.  we are great fans when we are winning and thats about it.  no different than any other fans

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HogFan82 on November 08, 2006, 10:36:10 am

in 5 years - yes

Yeah, I hate seeing the program get better every year. Booooo. Stop improving every year. Boooo.

19 - 1 in the Rock...play all our games there!

hogfankb

Ok. I have kinda become a fence sitter on this situation(after being a Heath supporter last year) because I still haven't seen great shooting from the new recruits. We will never be a real contender if we don't find some shooters. If these kids turn out to be good shooters(which i think they can) then we will be fine. My questions are:

For the huggers: If we don't continue to improve this year, whether it be total wins or advancing a couple of round into the tourny, will you still support Heath?

For the darksiders: If we win 23 games(which probably means we were in a race for the West/Sec Title) and a game or 2 in the NCCA tourny this year will you continue to want heath gone or will that still be under achieving?

hogmary

Call me a Negative Nellie if you want, but Heath started with an empty cupboard only because he made no effort to salvage Nolan's last recruiting class. His only goal was to get Ronnie Brewer. Once he got him, he didn't know how to use him. Then, he ran off several players and yanked scholarships (some of those players, he had signed himself). When Bobby Knight did the same thing at Texas Tech, people were outraged. Heath had no clear idea of exactly what style he wanted to play, and in my opinion, still doesn't.  He's gotten some good players, but if you don't give them direction, how on earth are they going to know what to do?   Making deals with the devil to get players (ala Olu Famitimi...his "handlers" were promised he would start in order to get him here and he did, while all-SEC Jonathan Modica sat) doesn't help the program.  Can't he get them to shoot free-throws?  Anyone here remember what an abysmal FT shooter Corliss was when he first came here?  Nolan remedied that with a smaller hoop that the ball would barely fit through for Corliss to use in FT practice.  He reasoned that Corliss was going to get hacked all the time playing inside unless he could shoot free throws.  (Too bad no one ever tried that with cry baby, Shaq).  Maybe that hoop is still around somewhere.  For someone who was going to be sure that our team had good fundamentals, don't you think that 4 years is enough to teach them?  I have seen not very much progress.  How long are we going to pay Heath to learn to coach?  I love college basketball and during the season, I watch just about anyone playing on tv.  It's entertaining in a way that the NBA is not.  Hog basketball has been a part of my life for over 30 years, but I am sorry, it is so boring, that I only go to games out of habit.  Until the last five years, I could count on one hand the games I missed at Barnhill or BWA, and those were missed only because of illness.  I've gone to games when snow was knee deep, in the pouring rain and when I should have been elsewhere.  Now I look for excuses not to go.  Habits are hard to break, however, and I keep hoping that something will change for the better.

hogfankb

How many people here want heath gone because of his style of play? Not that he can't choose which is "his style" but because he plays "big ten basketball"?

LZH

Quote from: hogmary on November 08, 2006, 10:48:24 am
Call me a Negative Nellie if you want, but Heath started with an empty cupboard only because he made no effort to salvage Nolan's last recruiting class. His only goal was to get Ronnie Brewer. Once he got him, he didn't know how to use him. Then, he ran off several players and yanked scholarships (some of those players, he had signed himself). When Bobby Knight did the same thing at Texas Tech, people were outraged. Heath had no clear idea of exactly what style he wanted to play, and in my opinion, still doesn't.  He's gotten some good players, but if you don't give them direction, how on earth are they going to know what to do?   Making deals with the devil to get players (ala Olu Famitimi...his "handlers" were promised he would start in order to get him here and he did, while all-SEC Jonathan Modica sat) doesn't help the program.  Can't he get them to shoot free-throws?  Anyone here remember what an abysmal FT shooter Corliss was when he first came here?  Nolan remedied that with a smaller hoop that the ball would barely fit through for Corliss to use in FT practice.  He reasoned that Corliss was going to get hacked all the time playing inside unless he could shoot free throws.  (Too bad no one ever tried that with cry baby, Shaq).  Maybe that hoop is still around somewhere.  For someone who was going to be sure that our team had good fundamentals, don't you think that 4 years is enough to teach them?  I have seen not very much progress.  How long are we going to pay Heath to learn to coach?  I love college basketball and during the season, I watch just about anyone playing on tv.  It's entertaining in a way that the NBA is not.  Hog basketball has been a part of my life for over 30 years, but I am sorry, it is so boring, that I only go to games out of habit.  Until the last five years, I could count on one hand the games I missed at Barnhill or BWA, and those were missed only because of illness.  I've gone to games when snow was knee deep, in the pouring rain and when I should have been elsewhere.  Now I look for excuses not to go.  Habits are hard to break, however, and I keep hoping that something will change for the better.

Yikes!  Go baby go...

Seriously, good points all around.

hogfankb

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:53:50 am
Quote from: hogfankb on November 08, 2006, 10:51:16 am
How many people here want heath gone because of his style of play? Not that he can't choose which is "his style" but because he plays "big ten basketball"?

My reasons are well documented. 

This is a secondary issue to me-I'd say he plays Big 10 ball but at the same time I'm not sure he's defined his style.  I've seen more of the Big 10 ball than I have an aggressive style though, or it certainly appears that way.

But if we could win with "big ten ball" would you still want him gone? And i completely agree about him not sticking with a style. All we have heard is how much of an uptemo game we will have this year (which we could be great at) but I still feel like he is hesitant to go all out with it.

3kgthog

There is a lot to be said for a basketball coach that gets the fans fired up about the season. Stan simply doesn't do that. His teams are boring to watch and they usually don't look good even when they win. People just don't look forward to basketball anymore. We used to freak out at the start of basketball season and we haven't done that since the 90s.

And what is improvement? Is it the number of wins? Is it playing a schedule littered with bad name teams like Mizzou and Texas Tech? Stan never beat Illinois, he didn't beat UCONN last season, he didn't beat Maryland. He hasn't beaten Kentucky. He's lost to LSU several more times than he's won. So what if his team got hot and beat UT and Florida last year? The Vols choked in the Big Dance and Florida won the national title while we lost to Bucknell in a virtual home game at Dallas. That Florida win meant nothing in the end.

If you've watched this year's team in the exhibitions so far then you probably aren't very excited about this season either. They don't look good, but I guess if we can manage another first round NCAAT defeat then everything will be peachy right?

UADrummer

Quote from: cubsfan5150 on November 08, 2006, 10:14:42 am

I think you've forgot one major point here, and that is that Heath has recruited all of these players, he is not relying on anything from Nolan anymore, this is his team, and it is not great.  I believe that he is bringing in some great talent, but you have to develop that talent, or else all you have is a HS all-star game.  I'd like to see more development on this team, and that takes a good HC. 

I was under the impression that this would be a good season, but I got a little concerned Monday night.  I'll be at the game on Friday and then I'll make up a better opinion as we play a meaningful game.  I've been to midnight madness (excuse me, 10:00 madness or Hoopin' something or other, but that is a different point), the red white game and the first scrimmage, and I've seen some good things, and some concerning things, I think these guys have alot of ability but that ability needs to be developed, and that is the coach's job.

djgaffer

This is going to be the telling year for Heath and company.  Truthfully, a lot of things haven't worked out to get us to this point.  Olu was the most highly regarded recruit to come to the hill since Corliss.  That didn't work out.  Stan has taken a couple of chances on guys that might or might not make it to campus and none have panned out for him.  In an effort to upgrade at point guard, he went the JUCO route, and for whatever reason, the light never went on for Dontell.  Still, with this, the team is vastly improved. 

We have developed from a team that had no chance 4 years ago, to a team that was competitive at home but had no chance on the road, to a team last year that competed every time on the floor.  We beat the national champion and got a bid in the NCAA tourney.  Yes, we lost to Bucknell, much worse in name than in ability.  And the team that got there was essentially band aided with Sophomore post players, a revolving door at the point, and talent at the 2/3 spot which is where you got your points.

A year later, we are a veteran team in the post.  We have a pure point guard in Gary Ervin.  McCurdy has looked good thus far, which makes sense after a year under his belt.  Keep in mind he didn't play his senior year in high school.   You will need production from the group of Weems, Beverly, Welsh.  If you get that, you will likely be stronger than you were in '05.  The coaches have been working with a bunch of combinations over the first two games to try to find the ones that play well together.

Regarding style, I sit close enough to know that the coaching staff wants to run a lot more than we have in past years.  We have been limited by a playmaker at the point and some liabilities defensively at a couple of positions over the past years.  You have to be able to guard and rebound in order to get out and run.  In the past, the lineup we had to have on the floor to create offense, left some holes on the defensive end. 

All that to say, I think we're going to have a good 06'07.  What that means as far as tournament wins, I don't know yet.  But the "improvement stat" that some hate is legitimate.  The program was left extremely dry by the previous regime (Blake eddins was the only guard on campus).  This is the first year that Stan will have his true recruits as veterans on the floor.  But we should be much more in a wait and see mode than in fire and ask questions later mode.  We're going to learn a lot in the next 5 months.

hog caller

we all know you can't take God's name in vain and get away with it.

i never knew stan had a shovel but i guess that's rthe way some folks were born and can't help themselves. they just have to throw a few hissy fits most of the time.

Heath has was more games each year he has been here.

one recruit does not a make a team or break it.

they don't look poised right now but need tweaking and tuning and that's what all the games berfore the conference starts is set up to do.

i say give him another extension on hois contract.

SC Hogman

The question?  Do we have Fresh Legs this year?  Do you think that coaching doesn't matter?  What do you think UNC & Duke fans think about Roy & Coach K.  Living in ACC country for the past 25 years you see what BB programs can be.  I have said Next Year for too many years now!  I.m running out of years!
Go Hogs!

The real Hogules

Quote from: Fresh Legs™ on November 08, 2006, 10:07:10 am

That's not a big accomplishment when your first team won 9 games.  I'm not griping at him for winning 9 that first year.  He was left with NOTHING.  However, I still find it a meaningless stat.  What did you think he was going to do...decrease in wins for the first few years ???

What feather would you put in the hat of Heath in four years?  I say throw out the first two years to be fair.

Year 3-underachieved, didn't make the NCAA (I don't give a rip about the NIT)

Year 4-lost to Bucknell in the NCAA

Someone point to some MEANINGFUL accomplishment and I'll tell you why he can stay at Arkansas. 

How about beating both Florida (NCAA Champions) and UT (another quality team) in about a one week stretch, then playing well in the SECT, before stumbling in the first round of the NCAAT.
He's also recruited quite well EVERY year since he's been at Arkansas.
Would those be considered meaningful acomplishments????
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

werehog

Ask Ben Howland out at UCLA how long it takes to build a program. Steve Lavin left Howland a train wreck to deal with. Howland toll the media and the booster he could do it in three years and to hold him to that timeline. Well, he took the Bruins to the NCAA finals last year -- his third year at the helm. No one is asking Stan Heath to be John Wooden, but Holy Mother of God he has about 10 or more sure wins built in when one looks at our cream-puff non-conference schedule.

However, it is other things that bother me. He seem unable to build any team chemistry. Beyond that, his players seem to be baffled, particularly on defense, what they are supposed to be doing on the court. I think most people will admit that this season's Hogs did not look very good against D2 California of Pa. Finally, Stan's version of the motion offense would put a hard-core insomniac to sleep.

We deserve more than Stan is giving us.