Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why I hate Tennessee the most

Started by oldbooniehog, November 07, 2006, 07:40:27 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

I hate Tennessee more than any other SEC team.

Let me list the reasons why.

I was in the Marching Razorback Band during the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

When we marched into the Cotton Bowl, the very first section of stands we passed were filled with beefy Appalachian banjo-pickers clad in prison-jumpsuit orange.

They announced their presence in the Cotton Bowl by liberally spitting on the band as we marched through. That's right, the very first group of Tennessee Volunteer fans I encountered spit on me and the Razorback Band. It was like a Skoal-scented rain coming out of the stands of the Cotton Bowl that day.

That's reason number one why I hate Tennessee.

Other reasons....at the 1990 Cotton Bowl, the bowl officials told the Razorback band to cut its halftime show basically in half. So we had to ditch half the show we had been working so hard on.

Only at halftime did we come to understand why we were asked to do that.

The Tennessee band marched out, stood in formation, and served as the background du-wop music so Lee Greenwood himself could come out and sing "Proud to Be An American" as the Tennessee flag line waved big cheesy shield-shaped flags that were red, white and blue with big stars on them.

Of course, all the Vol fans actually spit out their dips and chews so they could sing along (off-key, of course), and waggle their drop-biscuit bellies in time with the tune.

I have absolutely hated that song ever since.

Tennessee fans typically have every bit of the arrogance, swagger, and attitude of Texass fans, only Volunteer fans typically lack "the polish" of urbanized Austinites, and oftentimes also lack the teeth of OU Sooner fans.

I think another reason I can't stand Tennessee has to do with the fact that they are orange (although not quite burnt) and they do stick a big, fat orange "T" on everything, which already turns my stomach for historical reasons.

They are, in my opinion, a lot more annoying than even Bammer fans, who are in some ways almost charming in the manner that they hold so fast to the long-cold corpse of Bear Bryant, no matter how bad their record is.

LSU fans can get almost as annoying, but the more they drink, the more friendly they become in person sometimes.

And Auburn fans simply don't have enough of a legacy of winning championships to be really annoying just yet. I mean their biggest claims to fame are a pair of undeated seaons, neither one of which resulted in anything at all......one while on probation, one with BCS snub.

But Tennessee has always been, in my opinion, the worst of the SEC when it comes to annoying, abrasive, classless fans.

And I hope the Hogs hang half-a-hundred on the Vols in RRS come Saturday night.

oldbooniehog

hogpowr

Mine started when Fat phil was arrogant after the 98 game, acting like the vols deserved to win that game, with no credit to the Hogs.
Welcome Coach Bielema!

hogchic2001

Go HOGS Go!

LRCentralTiger

Man the band is mad.  We got this one in the bag.

HOGS ROLL!

DeltaBoy

Phat PHIL and the 1998 game ! What is sad I used to pull for Tinnier when we were in the SWC and rarely played them.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

bigdaddyhawg

1.  The arrogant, classless, clueless fans you talked about.

2.  Phat Phil -- that lying, cheating hypocrite who backstabbed a classy great coach into a job.

3.  That horrible, obnoxious, irritating rocky top that is played 600 times each game.  When a Tenn back makes a one yard gain, they play it.

4.  The Liberty Bowl fiasco in the 70's when Tenn and their refs actually stole the game from Ark. -- the single worst thievery of an athletic contest this side of the USA vs. Russia Olympic bbgame in Munich.

5.  The joke of an investigation the NCAA did into the academic fraud scandal that was widespread among the UT football players.

6.  The ugliest orange color ever for a football jersey.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

longtimeHogfan

Disgusting = Phat Phil Phulmer
Repulsive = Purina-dog-chow-colored end Zones
Abhorrent = classless, toothless, tobacco-juice-spitting fans
Vile =  (yuck, spit) Tennisissy Vile program
Repugnant  = The all-time nauseatingly, unbelievably sickening 'Rocky-top'.

Just a few of the things I dislike about the Viles.

Phat Phil....you're next. 

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

utvol137

I am glad I was never a band geek so i wouldn't have to be bitter the rest of my life due to the ridicule I received while growing up.

I'm glad you all hate us so much but I think you have a few things backward.  Arkansas is the state know for having toothless rednecks.  Every team has something they do over and over during the game.  It's called a fight song and if your team had any history with it what so ever you would have known that.

Oh yeah, get over the past.  You say Alabama still holds on to the bear and then you all start talking about games in the 70's and 90's.  Get over it and join us in 2006.

Go Vols!

razorson

Ever since we got screwed when we played them in the Liberty Bowl.

Franchise_Hog

Quote from: hogpowr on November 07, 2006, 07:47:55 am
Mine started when Fat phil was arrogant after the 98 game, acting like the vols deserved to win that game, with no credit to the Hogs.

I have felt the same way ever since.  He never ever gives credit to the other team.

HogHeathen

Quote from: hogpowr on November 07, 2006, 07:47:55 am

yup, me to...

psikic

I've never seen so many cocky idiots in my life, Wanna see? Go here
http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols/

And i quote "CSpindizzy" from there
"high school football stadium.....step it up with the real stadiums of the SEC. This ain't Springdale HS boys..."

peckerwood#3

Mine comes while walking back to the car after the 6OT game, i was a scrawny highschool kid decked out in razorback gear, being brutally verbally harrassed! (litterally people were asking me if i liked that a$$ whipping)

Albert Einswine

Quote from: utvol137 on November 07, 2006, 08:33:43 am

I'm glad you all hate us so much but I think you have a few things backward.  Arkansas is the state know for having toothless rednecks. 

You're in the same boat with this image, hillbilly.  Don't try coming off like you're some kind of cosmopolitan elite. 

The image of a Tennessean is one of a barefoot hayseed laid up under a shade tree with the dogs while a still simmers the mash.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

peckerwood#3

Also might it add, having beer thrown on me! just thought id throw that one in there as well...

oldbooniehog

November 07, 2006, 08:52:58 am #15 Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 08:54:47 am by oldbooniehog
I am glad I was never a band geek so i wouldn't have to be bitter the rest of my life due to the ridicule I received while growing up.

I'm glad you all hate us so much but I think you have a few things backward.  Arkansas is the state know for having toothless rednecks.  Every team has something they do over and over during the game.  It's called a fight song and if your team had any history with it what so ever you would have known that.

Oh yeah, get over the past.  You say Alabama still holds on to the bear and then you all start talking about games in the 70's and 90's.  Get over it and join us in 2006.

Go Vols!

Ladies and gentlemen of the jury, I rest my case on Exhibit B, the post of a typical Tennessee Volunteer fan.

P.S. you Vol fan...."Rocky Top" ain't your fight song....."Down the Field" is your fight song.....of course, if you were able to read the words of either song you'd would have known that.

oldbooniehog

311Hog

T-hawg

Quote from: mrszimme2001 on November 07, 2006, 07:50:43 am
I can't stand Fat Phil PERIOD! 

Don't worry boys and girls. Heart Disease called and he has Fat Phil's home address. He will be stopping by soon.
I'ts Diamond Hog time YALL!

Time for some crawfish and tailgating!

oldbooniehog

One more thing, you Vol fan.....you want us to let go of the past and join you in 2006.

Why, oh why, would we want to be 3-2 in the SEC and out of the running for the SEC Championship game?

oldbooniehog

jwaldhog

Thanks Boonie et al.  You just got me a little more pumped for the game.  :razorback:

utvol137

I know what my fight song is.  I was simply stating that most teams play their fight songs over and over.  Some play fight songs some play other songs.  I am sorry that you are having such a bad day and have to resort to playing tough guy behind a computer.  It's pretty easy to be tough when your not face to face.  I hope your day gets better.

That's also real good to hope death upon someone.  Real classy.

I'm glad you all finally have a good team and have something to cheer about as opposed to getting rid of the coach that pledged his loyalty to you when Nebraska came calling.  I hope you all can learn what it's like to be successful year in and year out.

Glad to see you are already counting on winning out.  Not real sure where the confidence comes from though.

Good Luck Saturday.

psikic

Quote from: utvol137 on November 07, 2006, 09:04:07 am
I know what my fight song is.  I was simply stating that most teams play their fight songs over and over.  Some play fight songs some play other songs.  I am sorry that you are having such a bad day and have to resort to playing tough guy behind a computer.  It's pretty easy to be tough when your not face to face.  I hope your day gets better.

That's also real good to hope death upon someone.  Real classy.

I'm glad you all finally have a good team and have something to cheer about as opposed to getting rid of the coach that pledged his loyalty to you when Nebraska came calling.  I hope you all can learn what it's like to be successful year in and year out.

Glad to see you are already counting on winning out.  Not real sure where the confidence comes from though.

Good Luck Saturday.

I want to punch you in the face, but I also want to shake your hand.

LoHog

I went to a game there when I lived in Nashville during the end of the Danny Ford era and was impressed about how many people there. I also loved the fact that people took their boats to the game. We had tickets in the Arkansas section and when Arkansas scored first my girlfriend and I cheered along with the rest of the Hog section. Then the beating began. We just happened to be on the back of the section. Suddenly I got a tap on my shoulder and these guys were like "Now thats what we came to see another a** whipping!" they kept on and on. Thats when the Vols made the list. I despise them now.

oldbooniehog

Quote from: utvol137 on November 07, 2006, 09:04:07 am
I know what my fight song is.  I was simply stating that most teams play their fight songs over and over.  Some play fight songs some play other songs.  I am sorry that you are having such a bad day and have to resort to playing tough guy behind a computer.  It's pretty easy to be tough when your not face to face.  I hope your day gets better.

That's also real good to hope death upon someone.  Real classy.

I'm glad you all finally have a good team and have something to cheer about as opposed to getting rid of the coach that pledged his loyalty to you when Nebraska came calling.  I hope you all can learn what it's like to be successful year in and year out.

Good Luck Saturday.

You know what the really funny part is?

utvol137, you're the one who came on an Arkansas board talking smack.

And only two posts in on that board, you're the one having to play the "I'm a bigger person" card.

Now that is funny.

And my day just did get a whole lot better.

Thanks,

oldbooniehog

utvol137

hogchic2001

South Carolina fans sure have more class than the VOL fans that have visited this board.
Go HOGS Go!

peckerwood#3

Quote from: mrszimme2001 on November 07, 2006, 09:24:54 am
South Carolina fans sure have more class than the VOL fans that have visited this board.

That's for sure!

utvol137

I usually frequent the teams board that we play that week and this has the least class.  Seems to be a lot of bashing and not much football talk.  I met some great people with good knowledge of the game on LSU's board last week.  I even invited some to my tailgate party at the game.  The last thing they wanted to do is fight or argue over a computer because that is just worthless.  I am done with this thread.  Look for me on another talking football.  Have a nice day.

peckerwood#3

Go Vols!

This was your first post! WOW!

duckhunter

don't let the door hit you in the arse onthe way out

elksnort

Rocky Top is not that old of a song. I think it came out in the late 1960s? Does anyone know?

jabohog

I hate Tennessee the most because of:
Burnt Orange
If it were'nt for Tennessee, there would not even be a Texas
Phil TOO Fulmer

ballhog88

I was there at the 90 cotton bowl and it was just a heart wrenching game. Your right about most of there fans being classless. A few years ago they came to rrs and a group of 20 where walking up the stadium shouting in unison Arkansas sucks Arkansas sucks all the way up to the stadium.

vol_in_ar

Quote from: oldbooniehog on November 07, 2006, 07:40:27 am
I hate Tennessee more than any other SEC team.

Let me list the reasons why.

I was in the Marching Razorback Band during the 1990 Cotton Bowl.

When we marched into the Cotton Bowl, the very first section of stands we passed were filled with beefy Appalachian banjo-pickers clad in prison-jumpsuit orange.

They announced their presence in the Cotton Bowl by liberally spitting on the band as we marched through. That's right, the very first group of Tennessee Volunteer fans I encountered spit on me and the Razorback Band. It was like a Skoal-scented rain coming out of the stands of the Cotton Bowl that day.

That's reason number one why I hate Tennessee.

Other reasons....at the 1990 Cotton Bowl, the bowl officials told the Razorback band to cut its halftime show basically in half. So we had to ditch half the show we had been working so hard on.

Only at halftime did we come to understand why we were asked to do that.

The Tennessee band marched out, stood in formation, and served as the background du-wop music so Lee Greenwood himself could come out and sing "Proud to Be An American" as the Tennessee flag line waved big cheesy shield-shaped flags that were red, white and blue with big stars on them.

Of course, all the Vol fans actually spit out their dips and chews so they could sing along (off-key, of course), and waggle their drop-biscuit bellies in time with the tune.

I have absolutely hated that song ever since.

Tennessee fans typically have every bit of the arrogance, swagger, and attitude of Texass fans, only Volunteer fans typically lack "the polish" of urbanized Austinites, and oftentimes also lack the teeth of OU Sooner fans.

I think another reason I can't stand Tennessee has to do with the fact that they are orange (although not quite burnt) and they do stick a big, fat orange "T" on everything, which already turns my stomach for historical reasons.

They are, in my opinion, a lot more annoying than even Bammer fans, who are in some ways almost charming in the manner that they hold so fast to the long-cold corpse of Bear Bryant, no matter how bad their record is.

LSU fans can get almost as annoying, but the more they drink, the more friendly they become in person sometimes.

And Auburn fans simply don't have enough of a legacy of winning championships to be really annoying just yet. I mean their biggest claims to fame are a pair of undeated seaons, neither one of which resulted in anything at all......one while on probation, one with BCS snub.

But Tennessee has always been, in my opinion, the worst of the SEC when it comes to annoying, abrasive, classless fans.

And I hope the Hogs hang half-a-hundred on the Vols in RRS come Saturday night.

oldbooniehog

From a Tennessee fan, your experience at the Cotton Bowl, is unaccepatable..

Sorry it happened.

elksnort

Every school has their share of "rude" fans. Some schools just have more of them than others.

RazorDrummer

I was with oldbooniehog at the 90 Cotton Bowl.  It was embarrassing.  The drumline went over to the Tennessee band to offer a customary Arkansas drumline t-shirt to their drumline.  It was never delivered if I recall.  One of our guys said they wouldn't accept "any of that crap" or something.  I was not spat on, but I know someone that was.  Losing that game was tough...

On the contrary, the 89 Cotton Bowl vs UCLA was fun despite losing.  The UCLA fans were pretty cool.  Their drumline was very hip.  Traded line shirts and stories.  The Volunteer band guys were complete pricks...

Oh...and by the way, oldbooniehog is a great big huge mf...I would not call him out on anything. 
www.oreoblue.com (My Band)
www.theuncrownedkings.com (My other band)
www.honeyjackband.com (the new band 2016)
www.nwamsbl.com (Play Baseball in NWArkansas)
www.nwasox.com (My Team)

LSUFan

Go Vols!

Still sore about the ass kicking last Saturday I see?

Get the lube out, you're about to get another one.

But seriously 137, have you ever spoken to a woman without first having to give her your credit card number?

What is the most common phrase uttered by a Vol when she loses her virginity?

Ow daddy, get off, you're crushing my cigarettes.

PORKED

Oh my deer god, I hate Tennessee and their fans.  I have lived in East TN for about 10 years.  It is all ever hear around here ( ROCKY TOP)  god i hate that song!  The most rude, obnoxious, ignorant, stupid, ugly, fat, smelly, gross, and just plain hard to be around fans I have ever had to be around.  You would think that being in the SEC, that you would pull for other teams in your conference that would help your team and make you look good.  Not Vol fans!  They hate any team that has beat them in the past, especially Florida and Alabama.  They completely have no respect for our program.  I know this from the last two games that I attended up there in knoxville.  the first in 98 and the last in 03 of 6 ots.  during this game is when the fans around me were booing there own team because they were going into overtime with us.  They simply said in that "high mountain, almost unable to tranlate language" " we shouldnt even be sittun here at this game in overtime, "ARKANSAS SUCKS"!  not to mention on the way back to the care a drunk freshman decided to impress his buddys and pick on my little brother by telling him about the ass whipping we just got.  Um I guess if you want to call winning on the last play in overtime an ass whipping?  Anyways, This game is huge, and I am going to be fired up on Saturday night in Fayetteville!
Are you tryin to say Jesus Christ can't hit a curve ball??

hogchic2001

Vol-In-Ar...thanks for your class...you going to the game?
Go HOGS Go!

vol_in_ar

I'll be there in section 504 and tailgating behind the softball filed, before the game..

Thanks

UhOhioHog

They wear orange and start with a "T".

Sound familiar?

UAbandalum

They actually ENJOY dressing like citrus . . . . . .

Hawg_Heaven

Reasons why I Tennessee will always be my most hated team in the SEC.

1. They have the worse fanbase ever. I didn't hate Tennessee until my first supervisor in the military was a fan of them. By that, you can probably tell that I didn't like him too well.

2. Their color! I hate the color orange. I grew up hating that color because of Texas and Tennessee made me hate it worse.

3. Phil Fulmer. I am sorry. I truly believe that this man is evil. He may put on his little show in front of the camera, but I have seen glimpses of evil through him.

PORKED

Quote from: LoHog on November 07, 2006, 09:08:27 am
I went to a game there when I lived in Nashville during the end of the Danny Ford era and was impressed about how many people there. I also loved the fact that people took their boats to the game. We had tickets in the Arkansas section and when Arkansas scored first my girlfriend and I cheered along with the rest of the Hog section. Then the beating began. We just happened to be on the back of the section. Suddenly I got a tap on my shoulder and these guys were like "Now thats what we came to see another a** whipping!" they kept on and on. Thats when the Vols made the list. I despise them now.

That sound exactly like what I have to live around day in and day out!  "just discusting"

lokopig

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 07, 2006, 12:41:56 pm
I'll be there in section 504 and tailgating behind the softball filed, before the game..

Thanks

Yes.....I concur......you are classy.....my late Uncle was a huge Vol fan......he was a great guy to me and a huge fan of your team....When we play you guys, I guess I have a better feeling inside than others have experienced.
I will be in section 501.....I'll be looking to my left for a sad Vol fan during the game.

PORKED

Quote from: peckerwood#3 on November 07, 2006, 08:45:56 am
Mine comes while walking back to the car after the 6OT game, i was a scrawny highschool kid decked out in razorback gear, being brutally verbally harrassed! (litterally people were asking me if i liked that a$$ whipping)

I think that I was standing right beside you when that happend!!  Damn Vol fans!!

razorbackfan4life

Well I know a few idiotic fans dont stand for all of them, but I have had my fair share of obnoxious Tennessee fans in my day.  Including one of my good friends.

vol_in_ar

November 07, 2006, 01:46:37 pm #47 Last Edit: November 08, 2006, 05:39:23 am by vol_in_ar
Besides from the obvious reason given by the band members, and their treatment at the Cotton Bowl, I never understood that there was this much dislike for Tennessee.

While I was at Tennessee, it was all Tennessee and Alabama, then Florida and now Georgia.

Still from a Tennessee perspective we don't hate the HOGs, your a team we rotate schedules with from the Western Division.

I know your history with Texas in the SWC, but I would think that being in the SEC western divison, there would be more dislike for LSU, Auburn etc...  

Maybe it could be we are one of only 3 teams to hang 50+ on the Hogs

1996- 55-14
2000- 63-20

The other 2 teams are:
Texas and  Tulsa

vol_in_ar

Quote from: vol_in_ar on November 07, 2006, 01:46:37 pm
Besides from the obvious reason given by the band members, and their treatment at the Cotton Bowl, I never understood that there was this much dislike for Tennessee.

While I was at Tennessee, it was all Tennessee and Alabama, then Florida and now Georgia.

Still from a Tennessee perspective we don't hate the HOGs, your a team we rotate schedules with from the Western Division.

I know your history with Texas in the SWC, but I would think that being in the SEC western divison, there would be more dislike for LSU, Auburn etc...  

Maybe it could be we are one of only 3 teams to hang 50+ on the Hogs

1996- 55-14
2000- 63-20

The other 2 teams are:
Texas and  Tulsa

Hog6

Prior to 1976 I'd always thought that Ark and Tenn folks were pretty similar... heritage and all that.  But in 76 I had a mechanical engineering prof at the UofA for a 3hr course who was from Tenn.  That Mooder Fokker hated Ark guys from farming backgrounds (me) and never ever gave me a fair shot at tests, etc.  I finished with a D for his course and to this freaking day anyone from Tenn (other than some beloved cousins who live there) I cannot stand.