Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

National Title Game

Started by hogwired77, November 06, 2006, 07:41:42 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

If Arkansas wins out do we have a shot at the title game?

YES
140 (53.2%)
No
123 (46.8%)

Total Members Voted: 5

Voting closed: November 09, 2006, 07:41:42 pm

hogwired77

I was looking at all the one lost teams and there and there schedules. Flordia is #4 Texas #5. If we win out we would have beat all the power houses in the SEC. That should be enough to take us to #2, right? If you look at strength of schedule of all 1 lost teams. We have a harder sos  than USC.Mich,ND,Texas,and Louisville. And would have beaten #2 Auburn at that time. And Flordia who could be ranked as high as #2 depending on the outcome of Louisville/Rutgers and Michigan/Ohio State. Who would be more deserving than us?

sickemsmokey10

of course you have a chance, but you'll need help. Louisville and Texas both have to loose

Rooka

big word here is do they have a SHOT.  If they win out they definatly will have a shot, but only if Louisville loses.

pork-e-pine

If fla wins out they have a shot but a slim one.  Because of polls and recent history AR will be 3 or 4 in the country if they win out.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

PIGskin Pride

You have to take into account where we started from.  Realistically, we will be seen as cinderella's and most likely the BCS will award a traditional powerhouse.  However, we should get an incredible bowl if we win out. 

Keep your expectations high for the hogs but keep them low for the NC bid.  We have no control over that except to keep on winning and supporting our program... 

Peace,
PIGskin

Rooka

if we win out we at least know that we are guaranteed the Sugar Bowl.

Albert Einswine

It would require the perfect storm with others losing games,  but it's a possibility,  so yes,  we do have a shot.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hong Kong Sooey

50-14 says we have no shot.  They would put Rutgers in before they let a team that lost by 36 at home play in the NC game...

BigArkyintheRock

The Louisville at Rutgers game will be one to watch this week; they play Thursday night.

Then for this coming weekend, any team ranked in the Top 8 or 9 of the BCS Rankings will have a shot at the BCS National Championship. We will be one of those teams with a good solid win against Tennessee. Style points matter from here on out.

WPS! :razorback:
And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

If you want to eliminate the mental mistake - FIRE HDN! WPS!

Rooka

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on November 06, 2006, 07:49:32 pm
The Louisville at Rutgers game will be one to watch this week; they play Thursday night.

Then for this coming weekend, any team ranked in the Top 8 or 9 of the BCS Rankings will have a shot at the BCS National Championship. We will be one of those teams with a good solid win against Tennessee. Style points matter from here on out.

Go Rutgers!

BigArkyintheRock

Quote from: Hong Kong Sooey on November 06, 2006, 07:49:14 pm
50-14 says we have no shot.  They would put Rutgers in before they let a team that lost by 36 at home play in the NC game...
No way Buttgers gets the nod over a 12-1 SEC Champion or Big 12 Champion team. JMO, but even if Rutgers was 15-0 tonight, they would still be ranked outside the Top 10. Funny thing is, I think they will upset Louisville thursday night. I hope they do!

And in the 10th year, the Razorback faithful finally fired Houston Dale Nutt! Preach this, brotha!

razorbackfan4life

razorhog29

can we beat Ohio St? Do we want to go to the NC game and lose or Sugar bowl and win?

Rooka

Quote from: razorhog29 on November 06, 2006, 07:52:56 pm
can we beat Ohio St? Do we want to go to the NC game and lose or Sugar bowl and win?
NC and WIN.

pork-e-pine

This arkansas team can beat anybody in the nation. IT is just a matter of playing up to their potential.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

Joe

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Rutgers will beat Louisville this Thursday and we will win out(as long as Nutt stays away from the offense), but the polls do not like us as much as Auburn or a one loss Michigan/Ohio State. Auburn would go with one loss before we did. That is twisted, but it appears to be the way it is going to be, at least as of now.
You can put a cat in the oven, but that don't make it a biscuit!    
:razorback: Welcome to the future of Razorback football :razorback:

razorhog29

It would be nice if the whole Cinderella thing actually helped us with the pollsters. It makes for great ratings.

rzrbk4life

i believe we would definitely have a legit argument if we win out. wouldn't our sos probably be the best of the one loss teams? i do agree that the 50-14 whoopin we got at home doesnt help, but that was our first game so do you think people might understand? b/c we are not the team that started the season. boy it sure is fun to even think about this. I BELIEVE!! GO HOGS!!!
Let's call those hogs!!!!

Junkyard Hog

I don't agree with this at all.  While I say the chances for Arkansas to play in the NC game are slim, the chances of Rutgers playing in it are none.

Idahog

Quote from: FireHoustonNutt on November 06, 2006, 07:56:22 pm
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: Rutgers will beat Louisville this Thursday and we will win out(as long as Nutt stays away from the offense), but the polls do not like us as much as Auburn or a one loss Michigan/Ohio State. Auburn would go with one loss before we did. That is twisted, but it appears to be the way it is going to be, at least as of now.

Nutt has taken over the offense for the last month.  He has confidence in Gus and without him he knows he would have lost games, but Nutt has been looking so much better the few times he took over the playcalling this season plus he has been great in playcalling during practice.  So he's taken it upon himself to throw it to Hillis in the flats on 3rd down from here on out.
Quote from: Pork Twain on February 11, 2015, 07:11:54 am
Let me explain how this works...  If I have four really good meals in a row, I am thankful for that and I do not withhold my thanks for fear that the next meal might suck.

Hollywood_HOGan

probably not since we started out so low.

Thats why preseason polls suck.

But an SEC championship would be AWSOME!

pi

Quote from: pork-e-pine on November 06, 2006, 07:53:51 pm
This arkansas team can beat anybody in the nation. IT is just a matter of playing up to their potential.

That's what I like to hear.  I said last week we were the best team in the SEC, and I think that if we win out that makes us, by SEC default, able to beat any team in the country.  It is just a matter of playing up to our potential.

pi

November 06, 2006, 08:09:47 pm #22 Last Edit: November 06, 2006, 08:12:07 pm by pi
Quote from: FireHoustonNutt on November 06, 2006, 07:56:22 pm
That is only true because of Auburn's strength of schedule.  We have only played Auburn (which we won), but after playing Tennessee, LSU and Florida we will have played all 4 powerhouses of the SEC, making our strength of schedule stronger than Auburn's.  The BCS Commish said Sunday that a 1-loss SEC team (especially one who ran the SEC table) would all but be assured an NC birth.  I'll take his word for it.  For now...

WPS

NuttinItUp

If we hadn't lost by so much at home to USC, I would say we had a shot. There would have to be a whole lot of upsets to teams above us to make it happen. 99% it won't happen even if we win out, but there is always that 1% shot that gives you hope.

BigArkyintheRock

Here's the deal. I believe Ohio State will win and win BIG against Michigan. Michigan will fall more than 1 spot in the polls.

I believe there will only be 2 undefeated teams come December. Ohio State and Boise State.

Current 1 loss teams that will lose 1 more:
Cal...and even if Cal goes 11-1, I think we move past them
Notre Dame
Southern Cal

Texass and Arkansas both at 12-1 and champions of their conference...who would get the nod??
I think the voters would put us ahead of Texass. I don't think the voters want to have a rematch of Ohio State-Texass or Ohio State Michigan in the BCS NCG.

If the Hogs win out, I believe we'll be playing Ohio State. Same goes for Florida or Auburn. I think a 12-1 SEC Champion team will make it to the big dance. We'll surely jump Auburn when we beat LSU to finish the regular season at 11-1.

WestMemphisHogFan

I believe that we have a great shot if we are 12-1 at being in the NC game.

pi

Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on November 06, 2006, 08:11:35 pm

Cal...and even if Cal goes 11-1, I think we move past them

Cal beats the team we lost to big the first game.  We beat the team Cal lost to big the first game.  Our SOS is higher and we move ahead.

threeNout

Yes, we'd have a shot.

I'm not sold on the fact that we'd need both Louisville and Texas to lose.

What we need more than anything though is to start making some substantial moves up the polls. Missing out on a blowout over SC-east hurt us, we need a big win Saturday, and need to start getting some more makeup votes in the AP and coaches poll. We'd need to be in the top 5 before the SECCG.

But like someone else said, we can't worry about it too much, winning out would be incredibly sweet in itself.

Hawgrox

To reference a Basketball analogy......Right now we are in the Sweet Sixteen...Beat UT and we are in the Elite Eight.....Beating Missy St. gets us nowhere....beat LSU and we are in the Final Four....then beat Florida and we are in the NC game. The one team I am worried about is Auburn. That's funny to say since we handed them their arses on the plains but they are the thorn in our side. I will be holding a roll of Charmin and a box of Tide during the Iron Bowl. We need Bama to win that game.

But first and foremost....BEAT THE FREAKIN' VOLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO HOGS!!!!!!!!!!!

hawgwash

I don't know about the Rutgers part, but I think the part about losing by 36 at home making us a real longshot is accurate.  But isn't it ironic that us losing by 36 at home to the #2 (I think) team in the country at that time means we have no shot, but Auburn losing by 17 at home to a totally unranked team (at the time) doesn't put that big of a dent in their chances?

threeNout

50-14 I feel would be greatly offset by a 12 game winning streak, in which 5 ranked teams would have fallen to us.

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: Hollywood_HOGan on November 06, 2006, 08:03:12 pm
probably not since we started out so low.

Thats why preseason polls suck.

I agree: "probably not"...But: even if we'd been ranked in the preseason, the USC loss would likely have resulted in our being about where we are in the polls right now. If we'd played them closer, we would likely be a few points higher in the polls.

Brand X Hog Fan

November 07, 2006, 12:24:04 am #32 Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 12:51:24 am by Seahawk4ever
Quote from: BigArkyintheRock on November 06, 2006, 07:49:32 pm

Its been said HDN has too much honor to run the score up on an opponent so forget the style points. :puke:
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

MM-gohogs

to be in the title game you have to finish the season undefeated. people say we need a college football playoff but the thing is:

WE ALREADY HAVE A PLAYOFF SYSTEM--IT'S CALLED THE REGULAR SEASON

there should be a little bit about quality of opponent and how good your team is and in the first part we don't do real well in. and also style points is a key and we don't get to blow out an SEC opponent too often even when we should... holla!
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 07, 2006, 12:31:40 am
to be in the title game you have to finish the season undefeated. people say we need a college football playoff but the thing is:

WE ALREADY HAVE A PLAYOFF SYSTEM--IT'S CALLED THE REGULAR SEASON

there should be a little bit about quality of opponent and how good your team is and in the first part we don't do real well in. and also style points is a key and we don't get to blow out an SEC opponent too often even when we should... holla!
Football is the only major sport that rules out a significant proportion of its members based on one or two early season losses--even if 1-2 loss teams are clearly playing best at the end of the season. Some head to head competition removes much of the strength of schedule argument. The preseason poll stacks the deck against many teams, and for others (and even if the preseason poll was discontinued, there would be preseason biases amongst pollsters that would carry over several weeks into the season). How often does the preseason #1 in basketball or baseball win the National Championship?

MM-gohogs

Quote from: Mr. Prozac on November 07, 2006, 12:39:00 am
Football is the only major sport that rules out a significant proportion of its members based on one or two early season losses--even if 1-2 loss teams are clearly playing best at the end of the season. Some head to head competition removes much of the strength of schedule argument. The preseason poll stacks the deck against many teams, and for others (and even if the preseason poll was discontinued, there would be preseason biases amongst pollsters that would carry over several weeks into the season). How often does the preseason #1 in basketball or baseball win the National Championship?

it's about the whole season. 9/2/06 - 11/23/06
on 9/2/06 we weren't the best team

"...Some head to head competition removes much of the strength of schedule argument..."

aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: MM-gohogs on November 07, 2006, 12:47:36 am
Quote from: Mr. Prozac on November 07, 2006, 12:39:00 am

it's about the whole season. 9/2/06 - 11/23/06
on 9/2/06 we weren't the best team

"...Some head to head competition removes much of the strength of schedule argument..."

You're definitely right about the USC game, but I'm not just talking about us. A playoff would take care of much of the debate about whether a "one-loss SEC team" is better than an "undefeated" Big East team, for example.

deucea729

Easy, Killers... One at a time.

But it is definitely nice to be talking about BCS title game scenarios including Arkansas in November, for crying out loud!!

:razorback:

A.K.A.

We have a good shot if we win out, especially if we win out big.

However, we need Louisville and USC to lose one more for sure.
And I believe they will.

Losing to USC by the margin we lost to them will not be figured in the BCS computers. Doesn't count margin of victory anymore (correct me if I am mistaken).

Also the voters have short memories, it actually helps that it was first game of season, as opposed to another 1 lost team losing a lot more recently.

Once we get near that chance of a NC, the writers, announcers etc will all be talking about how we lost that first game, they will mention turnovers, injuries, who started at QB etc. We will hopefully be forgiven.

But Louisville and USC has to lose 1.

If that happens then imagine the suspense at the end of the season when it comes down to who will play the winner of the Ohio St. / Michigan game.

The headlines before the results will be Who will play Ohio St. for the National Championship??
Arkansas?
Texas?
Notre Dame?
California?

Home town of Texarkana Arkansas

PHill94

November 07, 2006, 01:52:15 am #39 Last Edit: November 07, 2006, 01:57:22 am by PHill94
If Louisville, Texass, Michigan losses big, Cal, ND, USC all lose and Arkansas wins out and defeats a 1 loss Florida in the SEC CG then we will play for the National Championship. Why Not?

A.K.A.

I think we pass Cal easy if we win out, I think voters put us in front of ND based on SOS (plus they probably lose to USC).

If Louisville and USC loses (a 1 loss USC would be picked over a 1 loss Arkansas easy) then I think its going to be decided between Texas and Arkansas. (lets hope USC loses to Oregon).

Its possible a really close game between Michigan and Ohio St. might mean a repeat game for the National Championship.
Home town of Texarkana Arkansas

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: A.K.A. on November 07, 2006, 02:03:11 am

Its possible a really close game between Michigan and Ohio St. might mean a repeat game for the National Championship.
Hoping for a blowout, although I think it's unlikely.

The Hog

If Cal wins out watch them rise in the polls.  How do we jump Louisville?  If Auburn wins out, noway.  It has been determined by others we will not jump them because everybody says they will be in the SEC championship game.  We are not being considered as a serious contender.  Beating Tennessee and LSU will help but it will probably not be enough.
Automatic RUN!

Grande Puerco

We need to win out and have the following happen:

Michigan lose to Ohio St
USC lose (Oregon or California)
Notre Dame lose @ USC
Texas lose to A&M or Nebraska in the B12CG
Louisville lose @ Rutgers
Rutgers lose @ West Virginia

Rutgers hosts Louisville this Thursday night. Go Scarlet Knights!! And USC hosts Oregon on Saturday. Go Ducks!!

PAHog

Root for Rutgers Thursday night, a Ohio St rout of Michigan, Nebraska in the Big 12 Championship, USC over ND, Arizona over Cal, and Cal over USC.  That just might get us there.
Darksider Since October 2003...We are victorious!

razorbacker80

Would we be deserving.... most definitely.
Would we get the shot...  extremely doubtful. 
Too much ground to makeup in such a short time. 

jbakr428

Think about this.  What if we win out and Auburn wins out.

rayzorbacks

dbaileyway7

Quote from: BigDave95 on November 07, 2006, 07:58:58 am
We need to win out and have the following happen:

Michigan lose to Ohio St
USC lose (Oregon or California)
Notre Dame lose @ USC
Texas lose to A&M or Nebraska in the B12CG
Louisville lose @ Rutgers
Rutgers lose @ West Virginia

Rutgers hosts Louisville this Thursday night. Go Scarlet Knights!! And USC hosts Oregon on Saturday. Go Ducks!!

Those are all very good possibilities. We "need to win out". It would be great if the pieces were to all fall together for a change.

werehog

There is certainly no way we move ahead of USC if they win out, which is a good deal more likely than Arkansas winning out. In answer to the strength of schedule question, the Trojans non-conference games are Arkansas, Nebraska and Notre Dame. That's a bit different that Louisiana and Missouri directional schools and Utah State. It's great to be enthusiastic, but we need to remain somewhat in touch wixth reality.