Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why the Tennessee Game just got a lot harder

Started by NeuroHogg, November 04, 2006, 10:14:16 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NeuroHogg

Feel Free to add yours.
1. Nothing like a quarterback controversy right before your biggest game of the year.  I just don't see benching your quarterback after the first series.
2. Our secondary was exposed.  Maybe that is a good thing.  Maybe it will allow for some extra focus during this week's practice.
3. If I am Tennessee, my recipe to win is: Pass the ball.  Stack the line.
4. It appears that Nutt has taken over play calling.  For the 2nd half of the game, we looked poor.
Daniel Kueter

Porkatarian

Michael Grant's knee injury.  He was by far our best pass defender from the safety position.

How is McFadden's ankle after that horsecollar tackle?

Porkatarian out...
"I came here to win the SEC and that is exactly what we are going to do."

EastMemphisHog

Injuries will hurt us. But losing an emotional game at home, that really hurts.

excoach

Quote from: NeuroHogg on November 04, 2006, 10:14:16 pm
Feel Free to add yours.
1. Nothing like a quarterback controversy right before your biggest game of the year.  I just don't see benching your quarterback after the first series.
2. Our secondary was exposed.  Maybe that is a good thing.  Maybe it will allow for some extra focus during this week's practice.
4. It appears that Nutt has taken over play calling.  For the 2nd half of the game, we looked poor.

It was pretty obvious it was Nutts old offense tonight and I dont care what anyone say's, he was telling Gus what plays to call. Your post is very accurate, our secondary is the weakness of our defense. Tenn will be much better in the passing game.

WILL CLINTON

We will have to play a lot better next week, if we expect to win.  Ainge is twice the QB that MItchell and Newton are, and Meachem is almost as good as Syndey Rice.  Brett Smith is better than McKinley, and Tennessee will be looking for revenge. 

Our defense better learn to defend against the pass and not let a QB like Ainge do what a QB who hadn't played a snap in 3 weeks did tonight.  200 yds in a qtr and a half. 

Someone better get a Pit Bull mentality into whoever was calling the offensive plays in the 2nd half.  We need to go for the throat when we have the other team down by 20, not sit back and expect them to roll over. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

The Hog

Number 1 - No QB problems at Arkansas
#2 - Ainge will still be doubtful and if he does will he be 100%
#3 - We are the better team
#4 - CB Houston was taught all the Tennessee receiver tricks tonight.
Automatic RUN!

vol_in_ar

If Ainge doesn't play, we know Crompton can.

It will come down to if our defense shows up or not

101st Hogborne

Feel Free to add yours.

The only thing that was exposed about our D was our coach. Herring insisted on Manning up despite Mitchell picking it apart. Hopefully, we learned something tonight and will improve defensively by next week.

pimpndistress

Yes I thank HDN took over the play calling WE looked like we pulled out last years play book
:razorback:  FIRE JEFF LONG :razorback:
SMITE ME IF YOU LOVE  JEFF LONG [move]

vol_in_ar

We'll stop the run and force you to throw the ball.

But who starts Mustain, or Dick?

And Meachem will have a huge day.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: pimpndistress on November 04, 2006, 10:26:50 pm
Yes I thank HDN took over the play calling WE looked like we pulled out last years play book

I wouldn't have coached that game any other way offensively. Defensively maybe.

BigDawgHawg

Any time you play not to lose, you almost always lose.  I guess some coaches cant get that through their head.

beachhawg

Hold up.  You cannot have a more sucessful QB against any defense than we saw tonight.  Call it what yu want, but not.  We will not have the same problem out of Tennessee.  Ainge is probably gonna be about 75%, so no mobility.  We now get to practice a week not worrying about mobile QBs.  Yu saw one of the best receivers i the nation in Rice.  Brett Smith is not that good, Tenn does not have a receiver as good as Rice.

sevohog

well if we had last year play calls, its a little bit different we are 8-1 and 5-0 in conference, so its a little bit differnet than last year. with out a doubt this is the most negative board and people there is.

HogbyBirth

Quote from: excoach on November 04, 2006, 10:19:21 pm
Feel Free to add yours.

It was pretty obvious it was Nutts old offense tonight and I dont care what anyone say's, he was telling Gus what plays to call. Your post is very accurate, our secondary is the weakness of our defense. Tenn will be much better in the passing game.

I don't know how you can get much better than 14 for 18 in the second half?  We do have a very weak secondary but you have to admit Blake Mitchell was on fire until the pick.

Ouachihog

Quote from: cshivley1 on November 04, 2006, 10:31:08 pm

Completely agree.  We actually gained 253 yards in the 2nd half alonoe (more than the 1st half).  In the first half we just got POINTS out of the drives.  2nd half we drove it down their throats 3 times.....1st time we kick a field goal from the 2, 2nd time we throw a pick at the 1/2 yard-line, 3rd time we miss a field goal by 6 inches.  Then on the final drive we drove it at will too.  Every 2nd half drive moved at least 50 yards if i am not mistaken.  The offense is fine.  The playcalling is fine.  Our pass coverage is what needs work, not our offense.  We had almost 500 yards!
"If I lived back in the wild west days, instead of carrying a six-gun in my holster, I'd carry a soldering iron. That way, if some smart-aleck cowboy said something like "Hey, look. He's carrying a soldering iron!" and started laughing, and everybody else started laughing, I could just say, "That's right, it's a soldering iron. The soldering iron of justice." Then everybody would get real quiet and ashamed, because they had made fun of the soldering iron of justice, and I could probably hit them up for a free drink."

"I hope if dogs ever take over the world, and they chose a king, they don't just go by size, because I bet there are some Chihuahuas with some good ideas."

hawgfan80

Quote from: therockdj on November 04, 2006, 10:31:50 pm
Hold up.  You cannot have a more sucessful QB against any defense than we saw tonight.  Call it what yu want, but not.  We will not have the same problem out of Tennessee.  Ainge is probably gonna be about 75%, so no mobility.  We now get to practice a week not worrying about mobile QBs.  Yu saw one of the best receivers i the nation in Rice.  Brett Smith is not that good, Tenn does not have a receiver as good as Rice.

Agreed. Rice is unbelievable. I know Meacham at Tennessee is good but he's not Sidney Rice. Our secondary got exposed a little bit but they kept fighting. And, as for the QBs, Casey Dick is better at this point. If it was any other position, everyone would be wanting the coaches to play the best one. I love Mustain and he will be great as a Hog, but Casey Dick is better at this point.

ScotchHog

Nutt's moods tend to last longer than just one game.  I seriously doubt Gus will have any input in next week's offensive game plan.  It will be - Run for 2, Run for 1, Pass for incomplete - for most of the game.
And yes, we are negative on this board.  Eight years of witnessing the same things over and over gives us that right.
Always waiting

hawgfan80

Quote from: Ouachihog on November 04, 2006, 10:35:11 pm

Completely agree.  We actually gained 253 yards in the 2nd half alonoe (more than the 1st half).  In the first half we just got POINTS out of the drives.  2nd half we drove it down their throats 3 times.....1st time we kick a field goal from the 2, 2nd time we throw a pick at the 1/2 yard-line, 3rd time we miss a field goal by 6 inches.  Then on the final drive we drove it at will too.  Every 2nd half drive moved at least 50 yards if i am not mistaken.  The offense is fine.  The playcalling is fine.  Our pass coverage is what needs work, not our offense.  We had almost 500 yards!

Good point. We moved the ball all night. Just didn't get points out of drives in the 2nd half. If we score a TD either one of the drives in the 3rd quarter....its a blowout.

BentonvilleJeff

Quote from: BigDawgHawg on November 04, 2006, 10:31:26 pm
Any time you play not to lose, you almost always lose.  I guess some coaches cant get that through their head.
No way did we play not to lose. We are a running team. We pound our running backs down people's throats. If we had not passed on third down like we were doing and settling for punts then that is playing not to lose. We won the game the old fashioned way, we ran the ball.

EastMemphisHog

I was at the UT-LSU game. Here's why I think we will win.

1) Their Defense CANNOT stop the run.....period
2) Ainge is hurt, and I doubt he starts next week. LSU nailed him on one play leaving him wimpering on the sideline
3) UT's O-line is terrible. They cannot block. Pass or Run. Crompton evaded tackles that would've been sacks if Ainge was in.
4) They are down on themselves. I was at the Florida game too, but Neyland Stadium was nothing but crying and cussing tonight.

dirthog

houstons has taken over the paly calling that will lose it every time, today we were lucky to win, in the first half though it looked like he were gonna score 50
"This is no dress rehearsal, we are professionals and this is the big time"- Waylon Jennings

Hawgz4Life

The difference is being able to step up and make something happen...the interception is what sealed the game for us. We were on the ropes, and would have possibly lost the game, but our secondary made that ONE crucial play when we needed it. But I agree, we looked waaay to soft in the secondary coverage for me to feel good about next weeks game, whether Ainge is hurt or not.

EastMemphisHog

Quote from: dirthog on November 04, 2006, 10:39:41 pm
houstons has taken over the paly calling that will lose it every time, today we were lucky to win, in the first half though it looked like he were gonna score 50

Are you stupid?

hogwild84

Quote from: Ouachihog on November 04, 2006, 10:35:11 pm

I completely agree. We moved the ball in the second half and left at least 6 (possibly 10) points in the second half. If monk caught that ball that ended up as an INT, the game is over. You just have to question why it took so long for Herring to make adjustments when Mitchell came in.

WestMemphisHogFan

I was thinking the same thing.  You wanted to run the ball and take time off of the clock.  We couldn't stop Mitchell.  I feel like offensively we played very solid.  We missed some GREAT opportunities to score.  Monk missed a couple that would have been TD's, even though he had a GREAT game.  We missed a Field Goal.  Defensive played great the first half, but got schooled in the second half.  They will make adjustments and be a better Defensive team because of the second half.

Bottom line...8-1, 5-0 SEC.  WPS

SquirrelMasterFunk

Feel Free to add yours.

Finally intelligent post.

excoach and NeuroHogg you two reinstilled my faith in this board.

The Hogs will have a tough time pulling off a win next week.
This win is more costly than anyone realises.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

PigManLives

Attention IDIOTS!  Monk dropping two TD PASSES is not playing to lose.  Get a feakin clue you nutt haters.  He catches those and the game is not close.  Great game by Monk but he's got to pull those two balls in.

Hoot72

The play calling did get conservative in the secod half, playing not to do anything that would hurt us.  But, although Marcus Monk had a great game, did he miss two in the second half that he had his hands on in the end zone.  He catches those two, and we are talking about how badly we bear Tennessee.  I am concerned about the defense, I was afraid that Herring would be stubborn to change to zone -- but he did when he had to.  The worst thing about next week, is having Michael Grant injured.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: dirthog on November 04, 2006, 10:39:41 pm

that's one of the problems, we should have scored 50.

I actually said at halftime, we should win 47-10, or at least 37-10. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

Puerco Diablo

Feel Free to add yours.

1.  There is no QB controversy.  Casey is the logical choice.
2.  Our secondary did a fine job.  They are alone in man to man coverage every time.  The defensive line didn't get the same pressure in the second half.  Defense got the stop when they needed it... interestingly, by dropping into a zone coverage.
3. Tennessee has some problems of their own. 
4. We racked up 500 yards of offense.  Half of those yards came in the second half.  What game were you watching? 

sanfordhog

From Tennesse site:

Fulmer on quarterback Erik Ainge: "He got tackled, and he not only reinjured that ankle a bit, but I think he hurt the other one a bit as well. In pregame, he looked like he could (play)."

Will Crompton start next week at Arkansas? Whoever starts, it's a must win game. UT can still finish this regular season 10-2.

enwhog

Feel Free to add yours.

I don't buy the fact Gus wasn't responsible for much of this.  Neither of our coord's called great games.

Puerco Diablo

Quote from: PigManLives on November 04, 2006, 10:42:09 pm
Attention IDIOTS!  Monk dropping two TD PASSES is not playing to lose.  Get a feakin clue you nutt haters.  He catches those and the game is not close.  Great game by Monk but he's got to pull those two balls in.

I agree with you.  Monk had a good game but at times he looks lacsidasical, including the dropped passes in (or near) the end zone.

threeNout

I don't understand how Monk dropping two passes (one that richocted for the INT, and another at the 1) means we had conservative play-calling.

our playcalling was no different from the 1st half, we had a ton of yards in the 2nd half.

Our first drive of the 2nd half netted 3 points, I thought we should have ran twice at 3rd and goal from the 3, but we threw incomplete, and got 3.

Then we drove 70 yards, and Monk dropped the pass that was intercepted.

then we drove 50 yards and missed a FG.

We threw for a first down to run out the clock on that last 3rd down

Our 2nd half play calling was not conservative.

BlackKnightHogFan

Tennessee cannot run the football...that will be their downfall and the reason we beat them...period.
Upon the fields of friendly strife are sown the seeds that upon other fields; on other days, will bear the fruits of victory.  -Douglas MacArthur

Member #:  9524

Puerco Diablo

Quote from: enwhog on November 04, 2006, 10:43:38 pm
Feel Free to add yours.

I don't buy the fact Gus wasn't responsible for much of this.  Neither of our coord's called great games.

We looked predictable at times... but it was plays from Gus's book that we kept going to.  I hope he was saving something for the Vols.

GAMECOCKBOY

i think the hogs will beat the vols....ya'll have a running and passing team...vols don't have a running game and they have trouble stopping the run at times...
MESS WITH THE FEATHERS U SHALL GET SPURED!!!

GOOO GAMECOCKS!!!

SquirrelMasterFunk

Quote from: BlackKnightHogFan on November 04, 2006, 10:46:20 pm
Tennessee cannot run the football...that will be their downfall and the reason we beat them...period.

So that means they will throw it right?

Quick question, How was the pass D tonight?

Angie will light the Hogs up, especially with Grant gone.
user #9084 (the poster formerly known as cbad)

The meaning of life:  Eat less salt, be nice to people, and it is too short for cheap beer! - Stan Bond

Intelligent insults are too often wasted on the uncommonly stupid.

If you can't dazzle them with your intelligence, baffle them with your bull****.

edinburghawg

Some of yall are some of the most negative SOB's on the earth.  WE WON!! Hey Sir Pigs, SUCK IT!

gsad

Quote from: BigDawgHawg on November 04, 2006, 10:31:26 pm

We actually played aggressive I thought. We went after them and we won. Why stop running when they can't stop it or anyone else for that matter?

Shoatly

Quote from: enwhog on November 04, 2006, 10:43:38 pm
Feel Free to add yours.

I don't buy the fact Gus wasn't responsible for much of this.  Neither of our coord's called great games.

Watch the game again.  Whenever Dick came off the field, he ran straight to Nutt.  Nutt was leading the offensive huddles on the sideline before the team took the field.  The second half play calling was vintage Nutt. 

Atl_Hog

We dropped sure touchdowns in the second half. Atleast 2 to Monk and one pass that had Damian Williams open but we couldn't get the ball to him. I don't think this was playing to lose. Also, our biggest concern for next week is whether or not Mcfadden is hurt or not. I love Felix but we need DMac as well to beat Tennesee next weekend.
Wooo Pig Sooie!!!

Nashville Joe

Olajubutu was definitely not himself tonight.  Sure hope he recovers.  It didn't seem like our linebackers were mentioned at all.  And I believe that the announcers were right about the slant being open all night.  Blake was unbelievably accurate when he came in.  It seemed like we had good (decent) coverage on all of the big completions except when Grant or Kelly didn't help on the touchdown to the middle late in thegame.  I am positive that Ainge is not as accurate as Mitchell.
Both of our lines appeared to get tired mid-way through the third quarter.  
However, I think we'll mix in a little more zone D against TN.  We'll have to pick and choose a bit more when and where we safety blitz.
I believe we'll need to pull out a gadget play next week against TN, just to screw with them.  
Now Miss State decides they want to start playing ball.  
Why didn't Mitch Petrus play (or did he)?

HatfieldHog

Feel Free to add yours.

Tennessee losing a game right before they play you, just gives them more incentive to play well.

Our injuries, plus Tennessee's desperation, will probably make next weeks game a toss up.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

HatfieldHog

Quote from: Nashville Joe on November 04, 2006, 10:52:06 pm
Olajubutu was definitely not himself tonight.  Sure hope he recovers.  It didn't seem like our linebackers were mentioned at all.  And I believe that the announcers were right about the slant being open all night.  Blake was unbelievably accurate when he came in.  It seemed like we had good (decent) coverage on all of the big completions except when Grant or Kelly didn't help on the touchdown to the middle late in thegame.  I am positive that Ainge is not as accurate as Mitchell.
Both of our lines appeared to get tired mid-way through the third quarter.  
However, I think we'll mix in a little more zone D against TN.  We'll have to pick and choose a bit more when and where we safety blitz.
I believe we'll need to pull out a gadget play next week against TN, just to screw with them.  
Now Miss State decides they want to start playing ball.  
Why didn't Mitch Petrus play (or did he)?

When Herring finally switched to Zone, and disguised it, with a "Man" formation, we got the pic.  Before that, Man coverage for a pocket passer, is like Christmas in November. 

One thing is for sure, Spurrier put a spark into his offensive line at half-time.

See ya
Give a man a fish, he will eat for a day, teach a man to fish and he will spend all of his money on fishing tackle.....!

artyhog

I agree.  Should have been 2 more touchdowns.  Those are catches he makes and did make tonight.  Wish that he could have caught them.

You can not blame that on Nutt.

By the way, the hogs had one of their best passing games for the year.

razorback903

There was nothing wrong with the play calling in the second half.  We had two great drives that were only stopped by a bobble interception and a third and long pass that was dropped.  If it wasn't for that we would have won by 20.  Casey Dick had a wonderful night he was very prepared to lead the Hogs to victory and that is exactly what he did.  When you are playing a team like SC you can't afford to have many mistakes.  After MM's first mistake THE COACHING STAFF apparently decided that they can't risk this so they put in Dick.  If Dick started making mistakes they probably would have put MM back in.  But Dick didn't make mistakes all together he did a wonderful job.

Our major weakness was exposed tonight, but then again we all know that.  Pass defense needs some major work before Tenn.

Overall it was a good game.  There is not a QB controversy.  It is plain and simple, the QB who makes the least mistakes and can put a W on the books will play.

GO HOGS GO!!!    11-1 BABY....I BELIEVE!!!!
:razorback: :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.

ballhog88

Quote from: ScotchHog on November 04, 2006, 10:37:26 pm
Nutt's moods tend to last longer than just one game.  I seriously doubt Gus will have any input in next week's offensive game plan.  It will be - Run for 2, Run for 1, Pass for incomplete - for most of the game.
And yes, we are negative on this board.  Eight years of witnessing the same things over and over gives us that right.

500 yards tonight of offense and 8-1.. I'm sorry but I love WITNESSING THIS. GO HOGS

razorback903

Quote from: artyhog on November 04, 2006, 10:55:15 pm

I agree.  Should have been 2 more touchdowns.  Those are catches he makes and did make tonight.  Wish that he could have caught them.

You can not blame that on Nutt.

By the way, the hogs had one of their best passing games for the year.

Yeah what these guys said!!!
John McCain likes to say that he'll follow bin Laden to the Gates of Hell, but he won't even follow him to the cave where he lives.