Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Eddie Sutton found unconscious in his car

Started by JusPiggin, November 03, 2006, 11:54:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

JusPiggin

what happen to eddie sutton this morning  just catching  bits  of something terrible that happened

TheMediocreEra

rayzorbacks

wow thats crazy i wonder if alcohol had anythng to do with it

Albert Einswine

"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

PigPusher

For some folks alcohol is a demon that can't be resisted.  Just like smoking is for some people. I feel very sorry for Eddie.  A great sports mind.
A loyal and proud Hogville Hog since 07-01-2003 "pushing" our hogs: And a loyal Razorback fan since 1954.

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 12:01:01 pm
Quote from: TheMitchMustainEra on November 03, 2006, 11:58:49 am
I wonder if it is alcohol related..

9-3-06
Quote from: rayzorbacks on November 03, 2006, 11:59:39 am

Nawww!  Surely not.

Wasn't he also taking pain pills when he got arrested for the DUI last year?  I remember something about him having a back issue, and that the pain pills weren't working and that's why he bought a bottle. 

There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

TheMediocreEra

Quote from: dubyacee on November 03, 2006, 12:03:13 pm
Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 12:01:01 pm
Quote from: TheMitchMustainEra on November 03, 2006, 11:58:49 am
I wonder if it is alcohol related..

9-3-06
Quote from: rayzorbacks on November 03, 2006, 11:59:39 am

Nawww!  Surely not.

Wasn't he also taking pain pills when he got arrested for the DUI last year?  I remember something about him having a back issue, and that the pain pills weren't working and that's why he bought a bottle

or two... and yes you are right

9-3-06

kitshicker

Man, I feel for the man. I hope everything is ok.

Albert Einswine

You know why Eddie would have crawled to Kentucky?

Because as drunk as he stayed in those days it was near impossible for him to stand and walk.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

hogsanity

Could be anything.  Drinking, drugs, heart, stroke, brain anurysim, but to assume alcohol is only natural given Eddie's history. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hogeye_Pierce

The KEY word I saw in that piece was UNRESPONSIVE. From a medical standpoint that could mean pulseless and without respiration. I hope that is not the case, but this could be even more serious than before.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

Queen-Tusk

Here's some more of the article.  Scary...

"Sutton was found at a convenience store located at 19th and Sangre in Stillwater. A clerk called Stillwater Police.

According to a source, Sutton was undergoing tests at the hospital. A heart attack has been ruled out.

A formal statement is expected to be made sometime Friday afternoon.

Sutton, 70, retired last year as Oklahoma State's men's basketball coach. He took a leave of absence during the season following a car accident and DUI charge.

Sutton coached the Cowboys to two Final Fours.

Sutton's son Sean is now the Cowboys head coach."

kitshicker

Just heard on the radio where he is alert and conscious at this time.

hogman64

Quote from: Rison Tradition on November 03, 2006, 12:30:07 pm
Quote from: MikeThrel on November 03, 2006, 12:14:52 pm
Quote from: Rison Tradition on November 03, 2006, 12:12:56 pm

..remember DMAC was a thug who went bar hopping and was starting fights too.....

He was?  I didn't know that.  Did anyone else on here know that?

That was what alot of people were throwing out the morning of his incident..then found out later the true story..

So you know the true story?     I really doubt it....

Tusks

A lot of brilliant minds have substance demons.  I think that was the case with Eddie.  I liked him except for his demons and they were wider than just alcohol.

I wish him the best and hope he recovers.  At 70 I hope he can finally overcome those demons and find some peace and enjoy the twilight years of his life.  He's earned it.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hawgon

At this point, I just feel sorry for Eddy.  I hope someday he can get things straightened out.  But I will say this, Eddie, you have plenty of money.  Hire a driver!  Don't get out on the streets again or they are going to have to give you time eventually and/or you are going to hurt someone!

DeltaBoy

Once a DRUNK always a DRUNK   What a shame such a great Basketball Coach laid low by the Bottle.  :razorback:
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

WILL CLINTON

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 03, 2006, 12:34:35 pm
Once a DRUNK always a DRUNK   What a shame such a great Basketball Coach laid low by the Bottle.  :razorback:

I happen to know one who hasn't had a drink in 17 years.
[CENSORED]!

snortyann

Quote from: Hogeye_Pierce on November 03, 2006, 12:15:40 pm
The KEY word I saw in that piece was UNRESPONSIVE. From a medical standpoint that could mean pulseless and without respiration. I hope that is not the case, but this could be even more serious than before.

If one is unresponsive it leads a first responder- a person trained to perform CPR- to check for signs of breathing and if not breathing to give breaths then check for a pulse if no pulse begin chest compressions.

Just being unresponsive doesn't automatically confirm one is not breathing and has no pulse.

One can be unresponsive and at the same time breathe adequately and have adequate circulation by the heart and vessels.

Just a little clarification.

GWINGATE

It amazing how perfect and how quick people are to critize some one else

bigyellowdog

I hope Eddie can make a full recovery from his illness.  He is a great basketball mind and possibly the best coach to never win a national championship.

hogmary

Read the article...it says that the incident was not alcohol related.  It has something to do with a new medication his doctor prescribed for him.

Tusks

Quote from: dubyacee on November 03, 2006, 12:36:08 pm
Quote from: nutted on November 03, 2006, 12:32:34 pm
and they were wider than just alcohol.

You can say that again. 

You know what I mean.  If you were around Fayetteville the last 2-3 years he coached there......Eddie had a lot of issues.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Nashville Fan

Eddie is Hog. Once a Hog always a Hogs. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family.
Pittman or Bust!

DoubleJ

Quote from: hogmary on November 03, 2006, 12:57:16 pm
Read the article...it says that the incident was not alcohol related.  It has something to do with a new medication his doctor prescribed for him.

Yeah, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.  Everyone on here is so quick to judge, but the article says that it wasn't alcohol related.

Hogeye_Pierce

Quote from: stupig on November 03, 2006, 12:48:24 pm

If one is unresponsive it leads a first responder- a person trained to perform CPR- to check for signs of breathing and if not breathing to give breaths then check for a pulse if no pulse begin chest compressions.

Just being unresponsive doesn't automatically confirm one is not breathing and has no pulse.

One can be unresponsive and at the same time breathe adequately and have adequate circulation by the heart and vessels.

Just a little clarification.

That's why I said COULD. My only point there was that those casting stones at him had better hold off until the whole story is known. The way it was worded originally left a lot of room for interpretation.
Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

tbhogfan

Most of us have had the "great" experience of waking up the next day after consuming too many adult beverages.   For people with an alcohol problem, that is every morning.  That does not take into account the emotional toll it takes on one's loved ones, physical toll it takes on your body, and psychological toll of being dependent on a substance, and not knowing what kind of spectacle you might have made the previous night.

I truly pity anyone affected with alcoholism.  My prayers are with Coach Sutton.
Go Hogs!

JJHog

news9 reports no alcohol involved, just an odd reaction to some medication.
" Think Right, Do Right"

razorpimp

Quote from: Nashville Fan on November 03, 2006, 01:10:30 pm
Eddie is Hog. Once a Hog always a Hogs. My thoughts and prayers go to him and his family.

Yep, he helped build the Arkansas basketball team from nothing to something special.  He deserves everyone's thoughts and prayers, not their ridicule!

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: DoubleJ on November 03, 2006, 01:13:06 pm

Yeah, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.  Everyone on here is so quick to judge, but the article says that it wasn't alcohol related.

They updated the article to reflect that it wasn't alcohol related.  When some of us read it when it was first posted, it didn't say that it wasn't alcohol related. 

Root Hog

WILL CLINTON

Quote from: razorpimp on November 03, 2006, 01:22:01 pm

Yep, he helped build the Arkansas basketball team from nothing to something special.  He deserves everyone's thoughts and prayers, not their ridicule!

So he deserves this because of what he did on a basketball court, or because he is an alcoholic??  Because if it is what he did on the basketball court, then we should have a statue of Nolan in front of Bud Walton, or rename it, the house that Nolan built.  If it is because of him being an alcoholic, you have to say the same thing about every crackhead or methhead around.  If alcoholism is a disease, then so is someone who is addicted to crack, meth, cocaine, or any other drug. 

I am just of the opinion that no drug addiction is a disease, it is a choice.  And before you try to crucify me, I have had alcoholics, and people die from it, and drug addiction, and people die from it, in my family, and very close friends.  And I told them the same thing I will say now.  They are weak, and use drugs/alcohol as crutches. 

roothog

Well said Nashville Fan.

Sometimes things just get a hold of people and don't let go. People that have not experienced addiction or depression or anything of this kind have no idea what it's like on the people who suffer from these issues, and quite frankly need to keep their mouths shut.
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

Pork Twain

November 03, 2006, 01:34:05 pm #34 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:54:33 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: dubyacee on November 03, 2006, 01:28:21 pm

So he deserves this because of what he did on a basketball court, or because he is an alcoholic??  Because if it is what he did on the basketball court, then we should have a statue of Nolan in front of Bud Walton, or rename it, the house that Nolan built.  If it is because of him being an alcoholic, you have to say the same thing about every crackhead or methhead around.  If alcoholism is a disease, then so is someone who is addicted to crack, meth, cocaine, or any other drug. 

I am just of the opinion that no drug addiction is a disease, it is a choice.  And before you try to crucify me, I have had alcoholics, and people die from it, and drug addiction, and people die from it, in my family, and very close friends.  And I told them the same thing I will say now.  They are weak, and use drugs/alcohol as crutches. 
Very well said.  I hope this is not alcohol related

Best wishes to Eddie
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

razorpimp

I just say, why kick a man when he is down...try and help him up.  You obviously would kick them and then proceed to spit in their face.

DoubleJ

Quote from: dubyacee on November 03, 2006, 01:23:36 pm
Quote from: DoubleJ on November 03, 2006, 01:13:06 pm

Yeah, I feel like I'm taking crazy pills or something.  Everyone on here is so quick to judge, but the article says that it wasn't alcohol related.

They updated the article to reflect that it wasn't alcohol related.  When some of us read it when it was first posted, it didn't say that it wasn't alcohol related. 

That explains quite a bit.

WindyCityHog

"Unresponsive" does NOT mean "pulseless" or "without respiration".....It means they won't respond verbally to any questions or demands.

I'm sorry to hear About Eddie Sutton...He has a problem.

Pork Twain

November 03, 2006, 01:42:05 pm #38 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:51:30 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: razorpimp on November 03, 2006, 01:34:57 pm

I just say, why kick a man when he is down...try and help him up.  You obviously would kick them and then proceed to spit in their face.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Nashville Fan

Since when does someone have to do something to deserve thoughs and prayers? You guys are sad. And yes if Nolan was having problems I would pray for him. Both gave a lot to the school that I attended and I will not ignore that because I do not approve of what they did after they left. Face it guys AR was not innocent in the NR debacle. He just didn't help his case by going a waco.
Pittman or Bust!

HawgPilot

Quote from: BeoPig on November 03, 2006, 01:34:05 pm

Very well said.  I hope this is not alcohol related, but if it is Eddie will get no sympathy from me. 

You make your bed and you get to sleep in it.  When using the term disease with alcohol it is just an excuse.  It is not a disease, it is a bad choice.   I wish I could say every bad choice I ever made in my life was a disease.  Alcoholics are pathetic, weak people just like drug addicts.

That's your opinion but I disagree.  I have over a decade worth of research to back up my opinion too.

WindyCityHog

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 03, 2006, 12:39:59 pm
Quote from: DeltaBoy on November 03, 2006, 12:34:35 pm
Once a DRUNK always a DRUNK   What a shame such a great Basketball Coach laid low by the Bottle.  :razorback:

I happen to know one who hasn't had a drink in 17 years.

If you ask the Tempatation is still there; as strong as The three Sirens Pisinoe, Aglaope and Thelxiepi were to Odysseus.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Juboar

Some of you need to read what you post.  I knew the Sutton boys when they were growing up and they seemed to have turned out just fine.   Alcoholism is a disease.......period.   I relate it to cancer.  Some people get it and some people don't- many times it is not related to life's choices. 
You rock chunkers in glass houses whining about ruined childhoods might ought to get the facts before you start making assumptions.  Or is a crappy childhood your crutch?

chillinhoggie

Quote from: Juboar on November 03, 2006, 02:00:50 pm
Some of you need to read what you post.  I knew the Sutton boys when they were growing up and they seemed to have turned out just fine.   Alcoholism is a disease.......period.   I relate it to cancer.  Some people get it and some people don't- many times it is not related to life's choices. 
You rock chunkers in glass houses whining about ruined childhoods might ought to get the facts before you start making assumptions.  Or is a crappy childhood your crutch?

nicely put juboar

HogDodging

Quote from: nutted on November 03, 2006, 12:57:43 pm
Quote from: dubyacee on November 03, 2006, 12:36:08 pm
Quote from: nutted on November 03, 2006, 12:32:34 pm
and they were wider than just alcohol.

You can say that again. 

You know what I mean.  If you were around Fayetteville the last 2-3 years he coached there......Eddie had a lot of issues.

Tell me about it.  The day of his last game in Fayetteville, against Baylor, he almost ran into my car at a liquor store.  He had gotten into his car and started backing up without looking first.  Fortuntately for me, I saw him getting into his car, so I started watching him.  If I hadn't stopped when I did, he would have nailed me.

flhog1

You make your bed and you get to sleep in it.  When using the term disease with alcohol it is just an excuse.  It is not a disease, it is a bad choice.  I wish I could say every bad choice I ever made in my life was a disease.  Alcoholics are pathetic, weak people just like drug addicts

I'm sorry that you grew up in such a difficult situation, however, don't try to stereotype all alcoholics into that category.  There have been several people who have overcome their addiction and have served their communities very well......

Except "W"....... 8)

Pork Twain

November 03, 2006, 02:43:56 pm #47 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:51:10 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: HawgPilot on November 03, 2006, 01:47:38 pm
Quote from: BeoPig on November 03, 2006, 01:34:05 pm

Very well said.  I hope this is not alcohol related, but if it is Eddie will get no sympathy from me. 

You make your bed and you get to sleep in it.  When using the term disease with alcohol it is just an excuse.  It is not a disease, it is a bad choice.   I wish I could say every bad choice I ever made in my life was a disease.  Alcoholics are pathetic, weak people just like drug addicts.

That's your opinion but I disagree.  I have over a decade worth of research to back up my opinion too.

football17

You ought to be embarrassed for posting this...God bless you!

Pork Twain

November 03, 2006, 02:46:45 pm #49 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 02:49:49 pm by BeoPig
Quote from: Juboar on November 03, 2006, 02:00:50 pm
Some of you need to read what you post.  I knew the Sutton boys when they were growing up and they seemed to have turned out just fine.   Alcoholism is a disease.......period.   I relate it to cancer.  Some people get it and some people don't- many times it is not related to life's choices. 

I turned out just fine but alcoholism is not a disease.  There is no scientific proof that it is a disease.  I guess you can call it a disease you need to be prepared to include an assload of other things in there.  Since when did an addiction become a disease???  That is what America is all about.  Making excuses for people's bad choices.