Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve Spurrier is one arrogant a$$

Started by Hogwill, November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pioneer Fan

I can't believe he gets any hype at all while at USC and that South Carolina fans give a crap if he won the Heisman or kicked 50 field goals while at Florida. That was Florida, not South Carolina. South Carolina is where good coaches go to shrivel up and fade away. USC fans applauding his college heroics would be like me bragging that Holtz won at Notre Dame. What blue-blooded, die hard fan cares in the least what their coach accomplished SOMEWHERE ELSE?

The argument that Nutt hasn't beaten Spurrier is silly. Half the yahoos on this board could coach his Florida teams to a .750 winning percentage. You Cock fans should be ashamed to even mention Spurrier's record against the Hogs. Have a little self-respect for goodness sakes. FYI, USC fans need to be thankful that Nutt had a brain fart last year or you couldn't even lay claim to beating a really downtrodden Hog team last year.
I have an inferiority complex, but not a good one.

artyhog

razorpimp

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:11:19 am
I can't believe he gets any hype at all while at USC and that South Carolina fans give a crap if he won the Heisman or kicked 50 field goals while at Florida. That was Florida, not South Carolina. South Carolina is where good coaches go to shrivel up and fade away. USC fans applauding his college heroics would be like me bragging that Holtz won at Notre Dame. What blue-blooded, die hard fan cares in the least what their coach accomplished SOMEWHERE ELSE?

The argument that Nutt hasn't beaten Spurrier is silly. Half the yahoos on this board could coach his Florida teams to a .750 winning percentage. You Cock fans should be ashamed to even mention Spurrier's record against the Hogs. Have a little self-respect for goodness sakes. FYI, USC fans need to be thankful that Nutt had a brain fart last year or you couldn't even lay claim to beating a really downtrodden Hog team last year.

They still won and went bowling last year......plus I am afraid that he is improving the USC team.  He has gotten some pretty big recruits to come there and it seems like he is getting rid of many of the thugs left over from Lou's time.  I think he is building a good team over there.....

sidneyforheisman4

I'm telling you guys, when he loses, Spurrier is the first one to place ALL the blame on himself.  He doesnt blame it on the other team, or the players or other coaches.  And when he wins, he puts all the credit on the players and other coaches.  Just because he is an excellent coach and has that killer instinct a lot of people invent stories like "He's an arrogant ass" from every little thing he says...for Christ's sake, yall were saying his body language was arrogant.  A lot of people did not like Spurrier after he beat us in 2001 b/c we had a blackout on, and when asked to comment on it he said that he should thank us because we gave Grossman an excellent backdrop to pass against...to which he laughed at.  Anyone with a lick of football sense knows that this is not why UF clobbered us, he was just joking around.  Thats just the kind of person he is.

Fatty McGee

Quote from: roothogornotatall on November 02, 2006, 11:42:58 pm
lawdog, he was just rude, arrogant.  with his smirk, he could probably be saying the blessing and look arrogant.  anyway, he just wasn't very friendly with our guy, our reporter.  the first thing he said was "you're from arkansas aren't you?" as if he should be ashamed of being from arkansas.  after that he basically declined to answer any question.  then he looked at our reporter, bo mattingly, and said "you realize that these teams played each other lat year, right?" or something like that.  it was just rude.  i cant imagine people being like that BEFORE a loss.  he didn't say anything mean, but he was just pretty rude, arrogant- like i said.

Maybe you're just one of those guys who prefers bland coachspeak in an interview. 
Bandit: Hey wait a minute, wait a minute. Why do you want that beer so bad?
Little Enos: Cause he's thirsty, dummy!

Hogvious

Quote from: sidneyforheisman4 on November 03, 2006, 09:16:53 am
I'm telling you guys, when he loses, Spurrier is the first one to place ALL the blame on himself.  He doesnt blame it on the other team, or the players or other coaches.  And when he wins, he puts all the credit on the players and other coaches.

Another reason I would take him as our head coach in a heartbeat.
  Nolan was right.

Albert Einswine

What blue-blooded, die hard fan cares in the least what their coach accomplished SOMEWHERE ELSE?

What!?  You mean you're not proud of what Houston and the Mafia accomplished at Murray State? :P
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

EastexHawg

Quote from: hogsNbeer on November 03, 2006, 09:00:44 am
I swear....... When you are good at what you do, people will come up with ways to try to slam you down....... Buncha whiners out there........   Call 1-800-waaaaaaaaaaaaaa......    Bottom line is, foes hate him because he beats the crap outta you....... I would trade any and all coaches up there on the hill right now to get him to coach us...........   Who cares how he acts to reporters.....What's that got to do with anything he does on the field......  Spurrier is a FRIGGIN WINNER!!!!!!         

Exactly.  He may not be politically correct, and he may have a constant smirk on his face...but the guy has been a WINNER his entire life.

Heisman Trophy winner.  Won the ACC title at Duke.  Yeah, at DUKE.  Six outright SEC titles, a national title, and another appearance in the national title game.  Comes to South Carolina and almost wins the SEC East in his first year there with a team that had no business contending.

On top of that, didn't he beat up on the other college coaches in the coaches' golf tournament, too?

Two words come to mind when I look at Spurrier's life...EXCELLENCE and WINNER.  The guy is not afraid of a challenge.  He is not afraid to put his reputation and neck on the line.  He's not afraid of losing...but he's also damn sure not afraid of winning, either.

Would I like Spurrier if I was a reporter, or if I dealt with him personally on a regular basis?  I don't know.  Maybe not.  But, when it comes to competing I wouldn't bet against him, no matter what the game.  Football, IQ scores, golf, tennis, bowling, tiddlywinks...if Spurrier is doing it, you can bet that he is going to excel at it.

Pioneer Fan

I understand he is building a better team. What direction was there but up?

Please don't try to convince me that South Carolina is going to become a national power like Spurrier's Florida teams just because he is there, I just can't buy that.

BPPig

It would be hard for Steve not to be a little over the top. He is a great athlete and a Heisman Trophy winner. Fl was not a big time football program before he reinvigorated it. He won the NC and had consistent top ten finishes while at FL. He didn't have success as a player of a coach in the NFL but I assume that he can rationalize that like most of us could.

The fact that Bo was allowed to view practice and then do an interview speaks volumes. I love to beat him and watch all those facial expressions but I sure don't hate him and I am glad he is back in the conference. I hope we play so well we get to see a lot of visor throwing.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:21:26 am

Please don't try to convince me that South Carolina is going to become a national power like Spurrier's Florida teams just because he is there, I just can't buy that.

Florida was nothing before Spurrier.
"Funny thing, I become a hell of a good fisherman when the trout decide to commit suicide." ~ John D. Voelker

Hogvious

Half the yahoos on this board could coach his Florida teams to a .750 winning percentage.

Tell that to Ron Zook.  The fact of the matter is one that you point out.  They were HIS teams.  Half the yahoos on this board wouldn't be able to assemble them.

I believe he has SC headed in the right direction.
  Nolan was right.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 09:22:48 am

Numbers don't lie boys. The big time talent that lives in Florida makes it hard not to be successful.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:24:10 am

Numbers don't lie boys. The big time talent that lives in Florida makes it hard not to be successful.

They weren't darn before Spurrier.   The truth is self evident.  We think of Florida in terms of greatness BECAUSE of Spurrier.

I can't stand the guy.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 09:28:39 am

They weren't crap before Spurrier.   The truth is self evident.  We think of Florida in terms of greatness BECAUSE of Spurrier.

I can't stand the guy.

Is it a coincidence that the "Big 3" Florida schools have been ultra successful for the past twenty years? I think the athletes have a little to do with it.

WetSnout

The whole news crew @ 40/29 acted like he had insulted their mothers last night.  Why all this self pity and hyperbole when a known quantity like Spurrier acts like Spurrier?  Where have they been for the last ten years?

oinkoink

Maybe Spurrier does know Bo and was just giving him a taste of his own medicine.  Bo is just a tad on the arrogant side also.

razorpimp

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:30:41 am

They weren't crap before Spurrier.   The truth is self evident.  We think of Florida in terms of greatness BECAUSE of Spurrier.

I can't stand the guy.

Is it a coincidence that the "Big 3" Florida schools have been ultra successful for the past twenty years? I think the athletes have a little to do with it.

I'm not sure about everyone else, but you are making my point.  If you look at his recruits, he is still getting MANY great athletes out of Florida.  You have to think all of those years down there, that he built some great relationships with HS coaches in FL, so they will send they will try and convince their players to go there.....SC isn't that far from FL.  And I'm afraid he will turn them into a power.....plus S. Carolina puts out some great athletes as well.

hogsNbeer

Did all that talent just move there when Spurrier became Florida's coach?   The same types of players were there before Spurrier, and yet Florida was nothing before he got there...... Same as Pete Carroll and the Trojans....... The Trojans were winning 6 and 7 games for a few years before Carroll got there........ You have to be GOOD for all that instate talent to want to stay and play......... I guess all that Florida talent is really working for Florida State and Miami....huh......        Next argument........

Spurrier is still a GREAT COACH!!!!!!!!
Like EastTx said, the guy is winner....He excels at it....He won at Duke, built Florida to a national powerhouse from the ground up, and I am very thankful he is back in the SEC where he belongs........ He will win at S Carolina......

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:30:41 am

I can't stand the guy.

Are you going to refuse to acknowledge that Spurrier is the reason Florida rose to prominence?

Do some research.   Before he arrived they were the bottom feeders compared to Miami and Florida St.

sidneyforheisman4

The only real players we're losing instate now are from Byrnes High School, which is basically Clemson's farm team.  I would say that 60-70% of our commits are out of FL this year...yesterday we got two commits from a couple of 3 star DBs from FL.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: hogsNbeer on November 03, 2006, 09:36:00 am

Did all that talent just move there when Spurrier became Florida's coach?   The same types of players were there before Spurrier, and yet Florida was nothing before he got there...... Same as Pete Carroll and the Trojans....... The Trojans were winning 6 and 7 games for a few years before Carroll got there........ You have to be GOOD for all that instate talent to want to stay and play......... I guess all that Florida talent is really working for Florida State and Miami....huh......        Next argument........

Like EastTx said, the guy is winner....He excels at it....He won at Duke, built Florida to a national powerhouse from the ground up, and I am very thankful he is back in the SEC where he belongs........ He will win at S Carolina......

With this logic Florida should be 2-5 or something like that because Spurrier the Supreme has been gone for a while. Call me when everyone on a RAZORBACK board is done blowing Spurrier. Let me get you a towel!!!

roothog

Steve Spurrier, Pete Carroll, and Bob Stoops are coaches everybody hates unless they are coaching your team.
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIIEEE

Hogvious

Who would you rather have coaching your team?  An arrogant a$$ or a bumbling bozo? ;)
  Nolan was right.

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:40:53 am
With this logic Florida should be 2-5 or something like that because Spurrier the Supreme has been gone for a while. Call me when everyone on a RAZORBACK board is done blowing Spurrier. Let me get you a towel!!!

This is one of the most pathetic responses I've ever seen.  You hate Spurrier,  I think we all get that.

At least do some research and acknowledge that before he arrived at Florida they were a distant 3rd in the state's pecking order and he built them into the program that everyone respects today.

If you can't do that you have zero credibility.

Hogvious

Quote from: hogsNbeer on November 03, 2006, 09:36:00 am

Did all that talent just move there when Spurrier became Florida's coach?   The same types of players were there before Spurrier, and yet Florida was nothing before he got there...... Same as Pete Carroll and the Trojans....... The Trojans were winning 6 and 7 games for a few years before Carroll got there........ You have to be GOOD for all that instate talent to want to stay and play......... I guess all that Florida talent is really working for Florida State and Miami....huh......        Next argument........

Nope.  Zook was a terrible coach - look at Illinois now.  Florida's AD saw this and canned him even though they were winning (albeit not a Spurrier's clip), and hired another good coach in Urban Meyer.  They didn't let Zook drive the program into the ground before they made changes.
  Nolan was right.

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 09:45:10 am

This is one of the most pathetic responses I've ever seen.  You hate Spurrier,  I think we all get that.

At least do some research and acknowledge that before he arrived at Florida they were a distant 3rd in the state's pecking order and he built them into the program that everyone respects today.

I could actually care less about Spurrier. I could actually care less about Florida. I could care less to go do research on Florida. I will ask you specifically if you think the Gators would be where they are now without Spurrier? Have you ever been to Gainesville?

Lanny

"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

Hogeye_Pierce

OK, I have to throw in my 2 cents worth here.

My brother was the director of the student TV station at Florida at the time that Spurrier was there. The TV station was LITERALLY across the street from the stadium but Spurrier would drive his car over and park in a NO-PARKING zone. He would come in the back of the station not saying a word or even acknowledging anyone and put on his microphone. He would then do the show, take off the microphone and leave, again without speaking to or acknowledging any of the "underlings".

Spurrier may be a great coach, but he is like Ty Cobb. He is an arrogant SOB who wants nothing to do with anyone he considers "beneath" him. He also just has that face with the smirks and grimaces that's like the snotty kid we all grew up with and just wanted to cold-cock or club with a lead pipe.

As you can tell, I have ABSOLUTELY no use for the man.

Cry HAVOC and let slip the Hogs of war!

WILL CLINTON

Anyone complaining over the interview last night that HSV posted, is a whiner.  It is obvious he was just ribbing Bo. 

I echo what many on here have said, if Spurrier coaches your team, you love him; If he coaches against your team, you hate him.  I wish we had that problem here at Arkansas. 
There is no sacred ground for the conquered.

razorpimp

Agreeance with Albert....at least have some logical responses when trying to prove your point....not we're all blowing Spurrier...geez, grow up

And Florida did go 23-14 during the Zook era with all of those great FL players.

davis01

What has Spurrier done @ South Carolina that already hasn't been done by Lou?

Albert Einswine

Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:52:15 am

I could actually care less about Spurrier. I could actually care less about Florida. I could care less to go do research on Florida. I will ask you specifically if you think the Gators would be where they are now without Spurrier? Have you ever been to Gainesville?

Not to the University but I've been all through the area.   There's no reason to believe they would have risen to the prominence they have without Spurrier considering they never won an SEC crown apart from Spurrier (excluding the '84 SEC championship they had to forfeit for cheating under Charlie Pell) and then won 6 SEC championships including four in a row.

flhog1

Just watched the video and thought that Spurrier has funny.....ribbing Bo.  I know that many of you see/hear Bo often, but for some of us that don't, he CAN present himself a tad arrogant as well.  Especially with the tone reflection in his voice.  Not dissing him, but, we never heard the way he presented the question and if it appeared to be "cocky", Spurrier would pounce..... 8)

bigyellowdog

Spurrier appeared to be having fun.  I really did not find the interview offensive.

dbaileyway7

Spurrier same as said he was going to make our qb "MITCH SLAP" him, and he will.

GO HOGS ;D

Pioneer Fan

Quote from: Albert Einswine on November 03, 2006, 10:05:11 am
Quote from: Pioneer Fan on November 03, 2006, 09:52:15 am

Not to the University but I've been all through the area.   There's no reason to believe they would have risen to the prominence they have without Spurrier considering they never won an SEC crown apart from Spurrier (excluding the '84 SEC championship they had to forfeit for cheating under Charlie Pell) and then won 6 SEC championships including four in a row.

You are obviously an intelligent man and a Hog fan, so I can't get too mad at you.

It is a beautiful area and an even prettier campus. We can't be so naive to think that another quailified coach couldn't take a place with such great resources and make them a contender or winner.

Zook is horrible and everyone knows it. But even he couldn't screw up the Gators as incompetent as he was. Granted by Florida standards he was horrible but others would love to have his record, take South Carolina for example.

sidneyforheisman4

LOL...that interview is just typical of the OBC...I thought it was funny...especially when he was like "Where are you from?"...He probably was surprised to have an unfamiliar face asking him questions after practice.

King-Tusk

I didn't think he was disrespectful, just having a good time with reporters.  At least he didn't tell Bo how close SC was, and that they're getting better.
"You're talkin to my man all wrong.  It's the wrong tone.  Do it again and I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron!"

* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

Arkansas is expected to go 3-0 in the Sun Belt this season. The Hogs had only one other spot to add a Sun Belt team, but filled that nonconference spot with Division I-AA Chattanooga for War Memorial Stadium in October.

code red

Spurrier is a attention freak.  Right now he is laughing and sipping his coffee reading this.  Its all BS and were getting worked up.  If the HOGS play well tommorrow we will win........and the house will be rockin' in Fville 11-11.   GO HOGS BEAT GCOCKS.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

sidneyforheisman4

LOL...I seriously doubt Steve Spurrier is reading this thread.

razorpimp

Quote from: sidneyforheisman4 on November 03, 2006, 11:09:29 am
LOL...I seriously doubt Steve Spurrier is reading this thread.

Well we do discuss some pretty serious stuff :)  Spurrier might be getting the Arkansas game plan from reading this board!  Our offense is so unpredictable that any little bit of information he can get would be crucial :)

Macgyver Hawg

Yet Flordia State and Miami aren't ranked. 

DCHawg

Spurrier is head and shoulders above the rest in the SEC.  With the pipeline to FL athletes and thse that SC produces in state, the Gamecocks have a rosey future ahead of them.  Those that disparage the man are jealous and reflecting their personal insecurities.  when you have been as successfull as SS has been, you get to be a bit cocky.

That interview was a the most entertaining I've seen for the NWA crew this season.

DeltaBoy

I love the Ole Ball Coach! Too bad he in not Coaching the HOGS!!!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HawgWild

Quote from: Hogwill on November 02, 2006, 11:26:57 pm
Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 02, 2006, 11:25:48 pm
when you have done what he has done you can be arrogant
I have seen coaches that have done more and still they have class,  this is something that he does not have!!!!

Joe Pa comes to mind. Bobby Bowden is another. Steve Spurrier is an ass and will always be an ass. I love it when he's losing and the camera pans over to him and zooms ini on his face. That expression of sheer dissapointment is priceless.

10thPlanet

Quote from: lawdog on November 02, 2006, 11:32:30 pm
Quote from: Hogwill on November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm
Did anyone else see the interview Bo did with Spurrier tonight.  man I hope we beat those guys bad!!!!!

>:(

What did he say that pissed everbody off?
Lawdog,man were just jealous, we have a coach that is so arrogant that he asks for a raise and then asks for a two year pass.

Tusks

I just saw the interview and there was nothing wrong with that at all.  Some of it was editing by Bo.  I'm not sure some of the ribbing was taken out of context a little bit....and that's what I it was was....ribbing.  He was pretty honest when Bo didn't edit the long answer about Mitch being a FR. and SS saying he wants to make Mitch beat SC with his arm and not he running game.

Jeez guys, grow some balls and learn to play with the big dogs.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit