Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Steve Spurrier is one arrogant a$$

Started by Hogwill, November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogwill

November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 11:27:56 pm by Hogwill
Did anyone else see the interview Bo did with Spurrier tonight.  man I hope we beat those guys bad!!!!!

>:(

HOGLIGULA

when you have done what he has done you can be arrogant
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

Hogwill

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 02, 2006, 11:25:48 pm
I have seen coaches that have done more and still they have class,  this is something that he does not have!!!!

pork-e-pine

does "what hes done" include getting run out of the nfl. I believe he came off arogant those years as well.
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;
But Id rather lose and have a good attitude than win and be like texas.
also...be nice, your mom could be reading this.

roothogornotatall

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 02, 2006, 11:25:48 pm

yeah, you can, but you dont have to.  i saw it- he's a smart a$$. i hate that man.

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: pork-e-pine on November 02, 2006, 11:27:30 pm
does "what hes done" include getting run out of the nfl. I believe he came off arogant those years as well.

Maybe but he has done something no coach at ARk has done and that is win
Look in the heat of conversation I may have said things I don't believe to be true. "So you lied." Are you slow, the alleged lie you might have heard me saying allegedly moments ago that is a parasite that lives in my neck.

werehog

Steve Spurrier had that swagger when he was a Heisman Trophy winning QB at Florida. I ran the Gainesville, Fla., bureau for the Tampa Tribune his senior year at UF. In the Auburn game with the game on the line, Spurrier sent the Gators' place kicker off and booted the winning field goal himself. It's a case if you can do it, it ain't bragging.

Hogwill

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 02, 2006, 11:29:18 pm
What does that have to do with the fact that he is a no class jerk that I would love to see get beat.

lawdog

Quote from: Hogwill on November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm
Did anyone else see the interview Bo did with Spurrier tonight.  man I hope we beat those guys bad!!!!!

What did he say that pissed everbody off?
South Carolina: The Palmetto State
Home of the Fighting Gamecocks!

pork-e-pine

Did you just say that no coach has won at arkansas?
Winning is fun,
Losing is not;

Hogwill

Quote from: werehog on November 02, 2006, 11:30:36 pm
Steve Spurrier had that swagger when he was a Heisman Trophy winning QB at Florida. I ran the Gainesville, Fla., bureau for the Tampa Tribune his senior year at UF. In the Auburn game with the game on the line, Spurrier sent the Gators' place kicker off and booted the winning field goal himself. It's a case if you can do it, it ain't bragging.

This is not about him bragging,  I agree that if you are that good you have that swagger,  swagger is not what we are talking about hear,  he was just an arrogant jerk with Bo.    This is not behavior you see from guys like the Manning boys, Troy Aikmen,  Tom Landry, Barry Sanders and all the other greats thatcan but choose not to be sore winners

HOGLIGULA

Quote from: pork-e-pine on November 02, 2006, 11:33:35 pm

Did you just say that no coach has won at arkansas?

No that no coach at ARk has had the success he has had

pork-e-pine

Winning is fun,
Losing is not;

Hogwill

Quote from: lawdog on November 02, 2006, 11:32:30 pm
Quote from: Hogwill on November 02, 2006, 11:24:37 pm

What did he say that pissed everbody off?
You will have to see a replay of the interview,  it was not just what he said but how he was acting,  body language, facial expressions......

mykidsdad

I think that he was being nice to Bo. I certainly wouldn't have been as nice to him. Well that is not saying much because I have no respect for the man.

jresrev

Did he really boot the field goal himself?  If he did, that's too cool, I don't care where you're from.

dirtypig

waiting for someone to reply with what he said.

roothogornotatall

lawdog, he was just rude, arrogant.  with his smirk, he could probably be saying the blessing and look arrogant.  anyway, he just wasn't very friendly with our guy, our reporter.  the first thing he said was "you're from arkansas aren't you?" as if he should be ashamed of being from arkansas.  after that he basically declined to answer any question.  then he looked at our reporter, bo mattingly, and said "you realize that these teams played each other lat year, right?" or something like that.  it was just rude.  i cant imagine people being like that BEFORE a loss.  he didn't say anything mean, but he was just pretty rude, arrogant- like i said.

lawdog

Quote from: jresrev on November 02, 2006, 11:40:45 pm
Did he really boot the field goal himself?  If he did, that's too cool, I don't care where you're from.

True story.

lawdog

Quote from: roothogornotatall on November 02, 2006, 11:42:58 pm
lawdog, he was just rude, arrogant.  with his smirk, he could probably be saying the blessing and look arrogant.  anyway, he just wasn't very friendly with our guy, our reporter.  the first thing he said was "you're from arkansas aren't you?" as if he should be ashamed of being from arkansas.  after that he basically declined to answer any question.  then he looked at our reporter, bo mattingly, and said "you realize that these teams played each other lat year, right?" or something like that.  it was just rude.  i cant imagine people being like that BEFORE a loss.  he didn't say anything mean, but he was just pretty rude, arrogant- like i said.

Spurrier is the king of smirks.

HOGLIGULA

what you want him to treat opposing media like an old friend

Hogwill

Quote from: mykidsdad on November 02, 2006, 11:40:42 pm
I think that he was being nice to Bo. I certainly wouldn't have been as nice to him. Well that is not saying much because I have no respect for the man.
That is kind of the point,  he did not know Bo from Adam but still treated him with no respect.  As far as him being nice,  lets see what is said about it on the talk shows tomorrow.  I did not interpret it as nice, But I will admit I might be over reacting,  he might have just been being playful,  but he has never struck me as a the type to play around.  He sort of has a reputation for being arrogant.

lawdog

Quote from: Hogwill on November 02, 2006, 11:46:10 pm
That is kind of the point,  he did not know Bo from Adam but still treated him with no respect.  As far as him being nice,  lets see what is said about it on the talk shows tomorrow.  I did not interpret it as nice, But I will admit I might be over reacting,  he might have just been being playful,  but he has never struck me as a the type to play around.  He sort of has a reputation for being arrogant.

He can be playful in his press conferences.  But, if you aren't used to his smirk, etc., I could see how you could interpret it to be arrongance.

Plus, he is arrogant.

Hogwill

Quote from: coolhandluke31 on November 02, 2006, 11:46:10 pm
what you want him to treat opposing media like an old friend
nope, just show some class like most of the other great coaches

roothogornotatall

yeah, i'm probably overreacting too- but we all noticed it.  i was surprised.  like anybody would on game week- you look forward to what the players and coaches on the other side are saying.  he gave us nothing but sarcasm. 

Cold_Roses_80

Id like to see the video, anyone know where we can watch it?

cumberlandhawg

Spurrier walks the talk.  Most on this board talk the walk and are far less civil than he.  I love the guy. He's not pablum, nor PC,,,,,,,,,, he's a winner.

MarionHawgFan

if  i am not mistaken he has only won one NC as a coach, and if i am not mistaken so has FB that is just my thought
It is not whether you win or lose it is how you play the game-  The guy that lost is the one that will say this.
I want to win.

Brand X Hog Fan

Quote from: cumberlandhawg on November 03, 2006, 06:04:35 am
Spurrier walks the talk.  Most on this board talk the walk and are far less civil than he.  I love the guy. He's not pablum, nor PC,,,,,,,,,, he's a winner.

He's 5-3! He's not God anymore without the recruiting base he had in Florida. Oh, he's a wiley coach and I have this sinking feeling that he is laying for the Hogs, but he is an arrogant ass.
"I want to give you [Arkansas] something you've never had." - Coach Bielema, December 5, 2012, the beginning of a Dynasty!

Quote from: oldbear on January 14, 2013, 07:56:49 pm
The recruiting rankings guarantee success about as well as getting Lee Corso to choose your team as the winner.

John Futrall

What's funny is that I'm not sure if those comments were directed at Bo or another Arkansas sportsperson. Rusty Jackson had the same sound bites on KATV as well :)

Be that as it may, I can't stand Spurrier

Hogwill

You are missing the point,  their are better men than him as far as winning that show far more class. you do not have to be arrogent to be a winner.

hogpowr

VIDEO link?  He has never lost to the Hogs, why fear them?

He will learn on Sat. nite!!

Go Hogs Go!!
Welcome Coach Bielema!

oldbooniehog

Really.....Spurrier arrogant? Really? Seriously?

Uh Hogwill, where have you been for the last 20 years?

If I had to guess, for the last 20 years, you've either not been watching college football at all, or you're just too young to know.

oldbooniehog

BPPig

He and I are about the same age and Steve has been consistent in his personality.

I would probably be arrogant as hell if I were him also. The man is like a 3-4 handicap. I would slap yo momma to be able to play like that.

Macgyver Hawg

I love Steve Spurrier.  How boring would it be if every coach was Mack Brown during a press conference?
I think you need guys like him and Stoops.  It makes the game more fun when you beat them.

That's why I miss Trev Alberts, who was the Triple H of game day.  I loved hating him and now we have Holtz.

dana caldwell

i suspect the reason he wanted to know if bo was from arkansas is coaches present things a bit differently when talking to those who cover the opponents. much more guarded and praising, generally, of the foe.

i've dealt with spurrier on many occassions. i have found him to be extremely smart, pretty doggone friendly and very funny (when appropriate). i also like that he had the courage to stand up to kramer on stuff like the SEC championship game, etc.

say what u will, the guy is one helluva coach who has lived a pretty sweet life.

and, yes, the FG story is true.

HogbyBirth

Are you serious? 

HaWg 10

wow, its like noone has ever seen Spurrier during an interview.  Its his coaching swagger, doesn't make him a bad person.

remember Lou Holtz got ran out of the NFL as well.
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

elksnort

I need to learn how to cut and paste previous posts! Spurrier is a very good coach, that does not indicate that he is not a diiiock.

Would'nt it be great to not only win, but run it up on him?

Hogvious

I would trade 2 Nutts for 1 Spurrier any day.  The fans of the team he coaches love him.  It's the opposing fans that hate him.
  Nolan was right.

Athog

This gives him no reason to act like he does. Having won at Fl does not mean he should treat all like he is the savior....that is the difference between having class and not having any class,,,WHat do you mean what  he has done????? That is saying it is ok????

HaWg 10

Quote from: Hogvious on November 03, 2006, 08:41:23 am
I would trade 2 Nutts for 1 Spurrier any day.  The fans of the team he coaches love him.  It's the opposing fans that hate him.

agreed
"This product that was on TV was available for four easy payments of $19.95. I would like a product that was available for three easy payments and one complicated payment. We can't tell you which payment it is, but one of these payments is going to be hard." 

"I'd like to see a forklift lift a crate of forks. It'd be so damn literal. "Hey, you're using that machine to its exact purpose!"

"Me and my friends did acid in the woods, 'cause there was much less chance of running into an authority figure. But we ran into a bear. And that is way more of a buzz kill. One of my friends was raising his right hand and swearing to prevent forest fires. Later, he came up to me and said, "Mitchell. Smokey is way more intense in person."

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

Nashville Fan

Quote from: Seahawk4ever on November 03, 2006, 06:44:33 am

He's 5-3! He's not God anymore without the recruiting base he had in Florida. Oh, he's a wiley coach and I have this sinking feeling that he is laying for the Hogs, but he is an arrogant ass.
With someone elses players that don't really fit his system. Really not that bad. He lucked out a bit last year, kind of like GM this year.
Pittman or Bust!

HaWg 10

Quote from: Athog on November 03, 2006, 08:42:47 am
This gives him no reason to act like he does. Having won at Fl does not mean he should treat all like he is the savior....that is the difference between having class and not having any class,,,WHat do you mean what  he has done????? That is saying it is ok????

hes earned the right to be a prick, and he does it out of humor most the time.  Go back and look at some of his interviews he did with ESPN after getting canned by the Redskins, he is a very genuine guy.

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

razorpimp

Quote from: lawdog on November 02, 2006, 11:47:24 pm

He can be playful in his press conferences.  But, if you aren't used to his smirk, etc., I could see how you could interpret it to be arrongance.

I seriously doubt you would say he was playful and talk about getting used to the smirk if he was still whipping the gamecocks every year at Florida.....

sidneyforheisman4

You act like he picked on your guy for no reason...I just see him as any other good ole boy that likes to kid around and have fun with people.  Hell, last week, after reading how one of the sportswriters grades him after every game, he said he was going to grade all the "media boys" at the end of the year for their writing ability.  I havent seen the video personally, but I've seen Spurrier in enough pressers to be able to confidently say...just lighten up guys.

HaWg 10

Quote from: sidneyforheisman4 on November 03, 2006, 08:48:40 am
You act like he picked on your guy for no reason...I just see him as any other good ole boy that likes to kid around and have fun with people.  Hell, last week, after reading how one of the sportswriters grades him after every game, he said he was going to grade all the "media boys" at the end of the year for their writing ability.  I havent seen the video personally, but I've seen Spurrier in enough pressers to be able to confidently say...just lighten up guys.

what he said

R.I.P. Mitch Hedberg

hogsNbeer

I swear....... When you are good at what you do, people will come up with ways to try to slam you down....... Buncha whiners out there........   Call 1-800-waaaaaaaaaaaaaa......    Bottom line is, foes hate him because he beats the crap outta you....... I would trade any and all coaches up there on the hill right now to get him to coach us...........   Who cares how he acts to reporters.....What's that got to do with anything he does on the field......  Spurrier is a FRIGGIN WINNER!!!!!!         

razorpimp

Quote from: sidneyforheisman4 on November 03, 2006, 08:48:40 am

Like I said to the other gamecock fan...I seriously doubt you would have the same feeling if he was still at Florida whipping the gamecocks year in and year out......

Here are some reminders:
1998 FL wins 33-14
1999 FL wins 20-3
2000 FL wins 41-21
2001 FL wins 54-17

Spurrier was head coach each year, I guess in 2001 he wasn't being arrogant :)

Nashville Fan

November 03, 2006, 09:04:12 am #49 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 10:00:19 am by Nashville Fan
When SS made the remark about playing last year was the question about DMAC? I could see him saying something sarcastic like that after a question about DMAC. He seems upset that last year DMAC had more yards than the entire SC team. Unfortunately AR needed one more yard last year.
Pittman or Bust!