Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2001: If you've never been to Williams-Brice Stadium...

Started by lawdog, November 02, 2006, 08:45:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

ALLVOL

If you've never been to Williams-Brice Stadium...

BRING DISINFECTANT!

hogfan064

Quote from: ALLVOL on November 03, 2006, 09:45:39 am
If you've never been to Williams-Brice Stadium...

BRING DISINFECTANT!

Yes, where they put the opposing team's fans it is kinda dirty.  Of course if you go to Neyland you'll have to lose 10 inches off your waist to fit in your seat.  Of course neither smell like Tiger Stadium and its distinct smell of Miss :puke:

Let's face it all SEC stadiums have their faults, except Razorback Stadium :)

Ross U (HDHF)

Not as good as the VT entrance, but that crowd was damn loud.

Nashville Fan

Quote from: hogfan064 on November 03, 2006, 09:47:49 am
Of course neither smell like Tiger Stadium and its distinct smell of Miss :puke:
Thought Tiger Stadium smelt like corn dogs :) Athens is okay; but their big screen is really small compared to DRR.
Pittman or Bust!

sidneyforheisman4

the natureboy is actually a good friend of the OBC...he was at the UT game lol

oinkoink

Everyone thinks their team coming on the field is something special when really, they are all about the same.  The noise of the crowd gives everyone an adrenaline boost that makes them feel it is something special.  I always feel like a dork because I get so pumped up at the start of our games, I look over at the opposing team's crowd expecting them to be shaking because our pig just stomped on their helmet on the jumbotron.  I will still do it though, just something about that moment.

Nashville Fan

Didn't the hogwild band start 2001 thing back in the 80's and it carried over to football.
Pittman or Bust!

Godfather

I wish Arkansas had something UBER cool before the game.  "The Video" is neat, but its getting old.  We need a song and dance or something.  Cheers to you for having that. 

If Gus takes over, look for a change.  The Springdale games last year had an NFL type production for the pregame.  Lots of rockin music, with a voice overlay saying "Nobody, and I mean nobody, comes to our house and pushes us around".  This was played LOUD while both teams were warming up.  Nice.  I got chills when I heard that, and it was just high school.  Something special, but just high school.
WPS to the end.

rightdp

November 03, 2006, 12:03:50 pm #58 Last Edit: November 03, 2006, 12:05:33 pm by rightdp
Quote from: oinkoink on November 03, 2006, 10:54:35 am
Everyone thinks their team coming on the field is something special when really, they are all about the same.  The noise of the crowd gives everyone an adrenaline boost that makes them feel it is something special.  I always feel like a dork because I get so pumped up at the start of our games, I look over at the opposing team's crowd expecting them to be shaking because our pig just stomped on their helmet on the jumbotron.  I will still do it though, just something about that moment.

Seriously LOL!  I am the same way.  I am constantly watching the other fans and thinking about how amazed they are with how cool we are.  They surely have never seen anything like what we have!  I know those evil red eyes and the hogs that come storming out to trample their helmets.....they must be scared for their lives!  College football is the greatest.  It turns me into a completely different person....although some may say I'm a dork all the time....

rightdp

hoggin das

Quote from: lawdog on November 02, 2006, 09:14:35 pm
Quote from: Franchise_Hog on November 02, 2006, 09:10:57 pm
That wasn't too impressive, seriously.  Nice for Gamecock fans.

We come in kinda neat also...pictures from outer frickin' space.

Well, feel free to disagree. 

I'm posting this for the benefit of the Hog fans that will be there.  It's neat to experience if you are in the stadium, and I thought they might enjoy having advance knowledge of it.

And like I said, I will enjoy it every time.

Thanks lawdog. We'll try to get there in time for that. Always liked that compositon, (Also sprach Zarathustra), by Richard Staruss.

I will be looking to buy tickets outside the stadium. Any advice?  I didn't have any trouble doing so before the 2004 game.

Do you know if the tickets show the stadium layout, so that I can get an idea where the seats are before buying?

lawdog

Quote from: hoggin das on November 03, 2006, 12:14:37 pm

Thanks lawdog. We'll try to get there in time for that. Always liked that compositon, (Also sprach Zarathustra), by Richard Staruss.

I will be looking to buy tickets outside the stadium. Any advice?  I didn't have any trouble doing so before the 2004 game.

Do you know if the tickets show the stadium layout, so that I can get an idea where the seats are before buying?

Here's a link to the stadium seating chart:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/scar/graphics/scar-footbl-stadium.gif

You may want to print it and take it with you so you can be sure you know where you will be sitting.  The tickets don't have the seating chart on them.

I don't imagine there will be much problem getting tickets outside the stadium for face value price.  There were plenty of tickets available for the Tennessee game last weekend.  Now that we are essentially out of the SEC East race, there will be plenty being sold, more than likely.  I wouldn't pay more than face value, and you can probalby get some for cheap right before the game.

There's not much advantage to sitting on one side or the other of the stadium, since it's a night game.  We're all going to be cold.  No sun to warm anybody up at night!
South Carolina: The Palmetto State
Home of the Fighting Gamecocks!

oinkoink

Quote from: rightdp on November 03, 2006, 12:03:50 pm
Quote from: oinkoink on November 03, 2006, 10:54:35 am

Seriously LOL!  I am the same way.  I am constantly watching the other fans and thinking about how amazed they are with how cool we are.  They surely have never seen anything like what we have!  I know those evil red eyes and the hogs that come storming out to trample their helmets.....they must be scared for their lives!  College football is the greatest.  It turns me into a completely different person....although some may say I'm a dork all the time....

Whew!!! I'm not the only one after all.

DT

That was awesome, I wish Fayetteville would get that excited for games.

sidneyforheisman4

Quote from: DT on November 03, 2006, 01:29:22 pm
That was awesome, I wish Fayetteville would get that excited for games.

It is an experience, I'll tell you that.

DickSonstreetDFW

It looks lame to me.

I like it about as much as when our band does the 2001 cheer, or the tired, old, entrance from space via Google Earth thing we do on our Pig Screen.

Very high school, especially when the dancing chicken is unveiled.

I'm kind of embarrassed for SC now...

hogfan064

Quote from: DickSonstreetDFW on November 03, 2006, 02:29:10 pm
It looks lame to me.

I like it about as much as when our band does the 2001 cheer, or the tired, old, entrance from space via Google Earth thing we do on our Pig Screen.

Very high school, especially when the dancing chicken is unveiled.

I'm kind of embarrassed for SC now...

Cocky is a 3 time national mascot of the year.  How can you not like a big fat chicken popping out of a box?  Its magic you know

sidneyforheisman4

hogfan064

Quote from: sidneyforheisman4 on November 03, 2006, 02:47:11 pm
^Yeah, the smoke makes it official...REAL magic lol

Its a great act for the kids.  Cocky is the most kid friendly mascot I've seen.  He's just a fat chicken.  Kids love him. 

sidneyforheisman4

^Yup, hes the best...he also helped us crowd press a guy in the student section after we scored one time

Biggus Piggus

It is the prologue or "dawn" section of "Also Sprach Zarathustra," a symphony composed by Richard Strauss.  "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is the title of a book by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.  Zarathustra, or Zoroaster, was the founder of Zoroastrianism, a dualist kind of monotheism.  Zoroaster, a prophet, told us the one god, Ahura Mazda, was engaged in a war against the leader of chaos, Angra Mainyu or Ahriman.

Zarathustra made his prophecies thousands of years ago and possibly (unclear) thousands of years before Christ, making his the first known religion based on a scripture that was presented as prophecy (divinely inspired).

Nietzsche blamed Zoroaster/Zarathustra for creating the idea of morality as metaphysics--as natural law rather than human construct.  In "Also Sprach Zarathustra," Nietzsche presented the idea of humankind evolving from primate to human to some better-than-human form, as it is our nature to create things better than what came before.

Not ironic at all that Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" became the theme of a science fiction film based on a novel about the evolution of humankind from primate to human to some better-than-human form.  Strauss's symphony has separate sections based on each chapter of Nietzsche's book.
[CENSORED]!

sidneyforheisman4

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 03, 2006, 03:13:12 pm
It is the prologue or "dawn" section of "Also Sprach Zarathustra," a symphony composed by Richard Strauss.  "Also Sprach Zarathustra" is the title of a book by German philosopher Friedrich Nietzsche.  Zarathustra, or Zoroaster, was the founder of Zoroastrianism, a dualist kind of monotheism.  Zoroaster, a prophet, told us the one god, Ahura Mazda, was engaged in a war against the leader of chaos, Angra Mainyu or Ahriman.

Zarathustra made his prophecies thousands of years ago and possibly (unclear) thousands of years before Christ, making his the first known religion based on a scripture that was presented as prophecy (divinely inspired).

Nietzsche blamed Zoroaster/Zarathustra for creating the idea of morality as metaphysics--as natural law rather than human construct.  In "Also Sprach Zarathustra," Nietzsche presented the idea of humankind evolving from primate to human to some better-than-human form, as it is our nature to create things better than what came before.

Not ironic at all that Strauss's "Also Sprach Zarathustra" became the theme of a science fiction film based on a novel about the evolution of humankind from primate to human to some better-than-human form.  Strauss's symphony has separate sections based on each chapter of Nietzsche's book.

Was someone a music major?  LOL  Nice info.

Olive Branch Hog

Having been to Williams-Brice in 2002 for our game, I must say that I enjoyed the entrance to 2001, but what I really enjoyed were the three parachutists delivering the game ball on a windy (20 mph day), and one of them crash landing into the [CENSORED] on seats on our side of the field.   I seriously thought they were going to have to carry that dude off on a stretcher.   They were also having a ceremony at pre-game.  Don't remember who they were recognizing, but the parachuters were a tad off on their timing and crashed into the presentation.

That's what I remember most, well....except for shutting out the Gamecocks that day 28-0. 

sooie dog

Quote from: Olive Branch Hog on November 03, 2006, 03:38:59 pm
Having been to Williams-Brice in 2002 for our game, I must say that I enjoyed the entrance to 2001, but what I really enjoyed were the three parachutists delivering the game ball on a windy (20 mph day), and one of them crash landing into the [CENSORED] on seats on our side of the field.   I seriously thought they were going to have to carry that dude off on a stretcher.   They were also having a ceremony at pre-game.  Don't remember who they were recognizing, but the parachuters were a tad off on their timing and crashed into the presentation.

That's what I remember most, well....except for shutting out the Gamecocks that day 28-0. 

Are you sure they were not cows?

UhOhioHog

lawdog

South Carolina: The Palmetto State
Home of the Fighting Gamecocks!

hogsNbeer

Quote from: lawdog on November 02, 2006, 09:01:39 pm
Quote from: arkhog9 on November 02, 2006, 08:57:44 pm
What is 2001?

call me ignorant, but I'm not quite catching on.

The theme from 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Here's a link to a video of the 2001 entrance:

http://www5.cockytalk.com/video/2001UF.wmv

Law, that was cool!!!!!!!

That's what I like about ESPN...they usually show the entrance of the teams, especially when they have something as cool as this.....Man, that crowd was awesome!!!!!!!!!!!!   

Nashville Fan

Biggus did Zarathustra say what the score will be tomorrow night? :)
Pittman or Bust!

hoggin das

Quote from: lawdog on November 03, 2006, 12:46:36 pm
Quote from: hoggin das on November 03, 2006, 12:14:37 pm

Here's a link to the stadium seating chart:
http://graphics.fansonly.com/schools/scar/graphics/scar-footbl-stadium.gif

You may want to print it and take it with you so you can be sure you know where you will be sitting.  The tickets don't have the seating chart on them.

I don't imagine there will be much problem getting tickets outside the stadium for face value price.  There were plenty of tickets available for the Tennessee game last weekend.  Now that we are essentially out of the SEC East race, there will be plenty being sold, more than likely.  I wouldn't pay more than face value, and you can probalby get some for cheap right before the game.

There's not much advantage to sitting on one side or the other of the stadium, since it's a night game.  We're all going to be cold.  No sun to warm anybody up at night!

Thanks lawdog! Very helpful.

mrmitchell

Quote from: godfather on November 03, 2006, 11:24:58 am
I wish Arkansas had something UBER cool before the game.  "The Video" is neat, but its getting old.  We need a song and dance or something.  Cheers to you for having that. 

If Gus takes over, look for a change.  The Springdale games last year had an NFL type production for the pregame.  Lots of rockin music, with a voice overlay saying "Nobody, and I mean nobody, comes to our house and pushes us around".  This was played LOUD while both teams were warming up.  Nice.  I got chills when I heard that, and it was just high school.  Something special, but just high school.
IMO that kind of stuff should be curtailed - at least at high school level.  Maybe I'm just old fashioned, but the band playing will always be 100x better than the loudspeaker music and video screens.

dj shanon "Notshavin" smeya

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 03, 2006, 03:13:12 pm

Nerd, LOL.
published songwriter(ASCAP)/audio production/radio jingles/producer<br /><br />Audio Production/Music

R.I.P. notshavintilnuttgo 12/11/07

vol_in_ar

It's a nice entrance, but
The running through the "T" at Neyland Stadium with 107,000+ screaming, cheering, fans and the band playing Rocky Top is the pinnacle of college football entrances

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

UhOhioHog

Just got back from Columbia this morning.  2001 was actually a let down after all the Pub is was getting.  Overrated!

I must admit, they have some classy fans.  I was invited to a tailgate with all SC fans and it was done right.  BBQ, Burger, Brats, Chili, Crab Legs and Shrimp all cooked up right there. 

Palmetto Pig was very good and we had quite the good time at 5 points.

Gotta love "The Salty Nut(t)"!!

CDubyaP

DEVICEHIGH

Hillbilly? I prefer Appalachian American