Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bill Parcells on HUNH?

Started by A Friend, October 31, 2006, 06:20:11 am

Previous topic - Next topic

A Friend

Does this quote in the NY Times provide us insight as to what Bill Parcells thinks of the HUNH ...

Referring to Al Saunders, Parcells says: "This other guy, I think, he's a lot more indiscriminate. I think he's not going to be as concerned about the effect on his defense." In other words, the Redskins' defense will pay the price — in time spent on the field, in fatigue — for Saunders's disinterest in controlling the ball and the clock.

HoopS

how's that hurry up offense working for West Virginia?

A Friend

I am not questioning the success of the HUNH. I listen to my friend KEYS when it comes to the HUNH as I do not know the first thing about it outside of what I watch occur on the field. He and I disagreed at one point on a couple of issues, but I've seen the light. I was just passing on a quote from Parcells. It does not reflect my opinions.

werehog

West Virginia runs from a spread but doesn't really use a HUNH. In RR's version of the spread, the pass sets up the run. WVU is a running team that can pass. Bill Parcells is a great NFL coach who knows that defense wins Super Bowls.

hawgfan80

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 31, 2006, 06:21:30 am

I think West Virginia is a very good team, but if they played more than 2-3 decent teams a year, they'd get beat.

onehogfan

there was a thread a few days ago that discussed the HUNH and the defense...the question was what effect does HUNH have ob the defense...

The HUNH supporters, said it would have little effect on the defense. I disagree, it would more than likely translate into more snaps on defense too.

doesn't seem like a particularly smart ploy for a team that is averaging over six yards per play on first down and is thinner than paper on defense.

couse what does Parcell's know...??....the HUNH crowd on here certainly knows more about football than parcells.....RIGHT

HogISH™

don't guess he watched the pat's game last night.

HogISH
|^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
|...BEER   TRUCK..........| ||'|";, ___.
|_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -|
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

Hogville Trash Can Moderator - my theme song:

Isn't it rich, isn't it queer
Losing my timing this late in my career  And where are the clowns  Quick send in the clowns  Don't bother they're here.

arkjay19

HUNH works better with different situations.  It could probably work this year for the Hogs too, but we probably won't find out.

Pork Twain

Does WV HURRY UP and NOT HUDDLE or just run the spread?  Just curious because the difference is enormous.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HogFaninGA

Quote from: BeoPig on October 31, 2006, 08:35:41 am
Does WV HURRY UP and NOT HUDDLE or just run the spread?  Just curious because the difference is enormous.

They use the HUNH.  Here is a link to explain his offensive philosophy. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=06ncaafpreview_westvirginia&prov=tsn&type=lgns

HoopS

Quote from: onehogfan on October 31, 2006, 08:02:47 am
there was a thread a few days ago that discussed the HUNH and the defense...the question was what effect does HUNH have ob the defense...

The HUNH supporters, said it would have little effect on the defense. I disagree, it would more than likely translate into more snaps on defense too.

doesn't seem like a particularly smart ploy for a team that is averaging over six yards per play on first down and is thinner than paper on defense.

couse what does Parcell's know...??....the HUNH crowd on here certainly knows more about football than parcells.....RIGHT

since I was the first HUNH fan to chime in, I will take this as aimed at me.   Parcells is a pro coach, a great coach.   West Virginia is a college team... fyi.   This is exactly why I mentioned WVU in this thread... it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned that since Parcells said it, it won't work.  How's Indianapolis getting along?
Quote from: werehog on October 31, 2006, 06:44:00 am
West Virginia runs from a spread but doesn't really use a HUNH. In RR's version of the spread, the pass sets up the run. WVU is a running team that can pass. Bill Parcells is a great NFL coach who knows that defense wins Super Bowls.

I was under the impression they did..... I will make sure to watch Thursday's game and see.  Maybe they don't.  This article must be inaccurate....
Quote from: HogFaninGA on October 31, 2006, 08:38:18 am

They use the HUNH.  Here is a link to explain his offensive philosophy. http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news?slug=06ncaafpreview_westvirginia&prov=tsn&type=lgns

ShellHog

Forget the HUNH.............Hogs need to run more HUHTM (Hurry Up Hand To McFadden)!!!

HoopS

Quote from: ShellHog on October 31, 2006, 09:19:36 am
Forget the HUNH.............Hogs need to run more HUHTM (Hurry Up Hand To McFadden)!!!

at this point in the season, with the results being as they are, I (who wanted the HUNH) agree that what we are doing is working.  I just hope that it is something that can and will be used, in some capacity, in the future.  I also think there still may be situations this season, in which it could and should be used.  Either at the end of the half or game.  Also, if we are getting stiffled and need a spark.    I will also reinforce that HUNH does not mean less touches for DMac and in fact, may increase his/Felix's touches per game.

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 31, 2006, 09:06:07 am

since I was the first HUNH fan to chime in, I will take this as aimed at me.   Parcells is a pro coach, a great coach.   West Virginia is a college team... fyi.   This is exactly why I mentioned WVU in this thread... it was only a matter of time before someone mentioned that since Parcells said it, it won't work.  How's Indianapolis getting along?

I was under the impression they did..... I will make sure to watch Thursday's game and see.  Maybe they don't.  This article must be inaccurate....

Strawman strawman, strawman...

Seriously, I have never been able to come up with a team in college who achieves and sustains success (defined as BCS or near BCS caliber most every year) running the spread or the hurry up no huddle.

I am seriously looking for an example.
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

ShellHog

Quote from: Carolinas Hog on October 31, 2006, 09:26:59 am

Seriously, I have never been able to come up with a team in college who achieves and sustains success (defined as BCS or near BCS caliber most every year) running the spread or the hurry up no huddle.

The closest thing I can think of was the 'Fun & Gun' Spurrier ran at Florida.  I know it wasn't the HUNH but they spread the field.....and threw, and threw, and threw, then ran. 

Pork Twain

The key difference with the fun-n-gun of Florida was that it was in no way hurry up or no huddle and that meant the defense had a chance to catch their breath on the sideline.  THe HUNH might be fun to watch but our Defense will suffer.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Carolinas Hog

October 31, 2006, 09:48:02 am #16 Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:12:26 am by Carolinas Hog
Quote from: ShellHog on October 31, 2006, 09:35:57 am

The closest thing I can think of was the 'Fun & Gun' Spurrier ran at Florida.  I know it wasn't the HUNH but they spread the field.....and threw, and threw, and threw, then ran. 

Quote from: BeoPig on October 31, 2006, 09:44:13 am
The key difference with the fun-n-gun of Florida was that it was in no way hurry up or no huddle and that meant the defense had a chance to catch their breath on the sideline.  THe HUNH might be fun to watch but our Defense will suffer.

And, Florida had extremely talented RB's and could run the ball very effectively.  I do not know the percentage of run/pass during Florida's hay day, but if memory serves, it was very balanced.  Emmit Smith, Eric Rhett...these guys were early round draft pics (1st or 2nd maybe).  That doesn't happen without lots of effective running.
If the Hogville is a representative sample of Hog fans, then I am several deviations from the mean.

I hate that Hogville is the only Razorback message board not blocked by my employer.

Hawgballz

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 31, 2006, 06:21:30 am

Considering WV doesn't use the HUNH, What is your point?
Players Win Games And Winning Brings Players!

ShellHog

Quote from: BeoPig on October 31, 2006, 09:44:13 am

Yea, I agree...The fun-n-gun was just the closest thing I can think of to the spread that had continued success in a MAJOR BCS Conf.

jamie72921

The key to understanding that HUNH doesn't cause the D to be on the field any longer than old philosophies is to have a basic understanding of how the Play clock is set.

Regardless of the offensive scheme, the play clock doesn't start until the ball is placed and the official signals. How much time you use after this is totally up to you.

The Colts have run this scheme and consistently snap the ball inside the last 5 seconds of the playclock.

Some College level coaches have caught on to the fact that if you hurry to the line of scrimmage the other team will not sub specialty players and packages in on you. They have their coordinator look at the D and then they signal they play from the sidelines, the quarterback treats like any other audible and they snap the ball in the last 5 seconds of the clock.

How does this add up to more plays for your defensive unit?
Bless your heart

1stwordswerewoopig

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 09:56:52 am
The key to understanding that HUNH doesn't cause the D to be on the field any longer than old philosophies is to have a basic understanding of how the Play clock is set.

Regardless of the offensive scheme, the play clock doesn't start until the ball is placed and the official signals. How much time you use after this is totally up to you.

The Colts have run this scheme and consistently snap the ball inside the last 5 seconds of the playclock.

Some College level coaches have caught on to the fact that if you hurry to the line of scrimmage the other team will not sub specialty players and packages in on you. They have their coordinator look at the D and then they signal they play from the sidelines, the quarterback treats like any other audible and they snap the ball in the last 5 seconds of the clock.

Exactly.  You don't have to "hurry up" to run the no huddle.  Any coach that doesn't understand this basic fact, doesn't understand football very well.

Maybe, Parcells isn't the genius that people make him out to be.  I think the Dallas experiment has proven that (so far anyway).

onehogfan

Quote from: 1stwordswerewoopig on October 31, 2006, 10:14:52 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 09:56:52 am

Exactly.  You don't have to "hurry up" to run the no huddle.  Any coach that doesn't understand this basic fact, doesn't understand football very well.

Maybe, Parcells isn't the genius that people make him out to be.  I think the Dallas experiment has proven that (so far anyway).

WTH???.........HUNH....stands for HURRY UP no huddle.....if you take your time to snap the ball that is not HUNH..........duhhhhhhh.....

jamie72921

You hurry to the line.

Not to snap the ball.

This isn't hard to understand. Really.
Bless your heart

onehogfan

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 10:48:02 am
You hurry to the line.

Not to snap the ball.

Even a fool is thought wise if he doesn't speak.....you really should try and read the book before posting on this buddy..  one of GUS" stated goals in the book is to snap the ball within five seconds of it being marked ready for play.....that sounds like hurry to the line and hurry to snap the ball

jamie72921

Quote from: onehogfan on October 31, 2006, 10:51:03 am
Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 10:48:02 am
You hurry to the line.

Not to snap the ball.

Even a fool is thought wise if he doesn't speak.....you really should try and read the book before posting on this buddy..  one of GUS" stated goals in the book is to snap the ball within five seconds of it being marked ready for play.....that sounds like hurry to the line and hurry to snap the ball

That maybe Gus' take on it, but I believe this thread is about what Parcell's says about it.

The Colts run the same offensesive scheme and don't snap the ball within 5 seconds of its placement.

Perhaps you are the fool?
Bless your heart

onehogfan

then it is a no huddle offense and NOT a hurry up no huddle.....

there is a difference...

jamie72921

Actually there isn't.

Not everyone who runs the West Coast style offense runs it exactly the same way either.

Snapping the ball quickly after placement is more of a tempo variant than a true departure from the scheme.

The main purpose of any no huddle offense is to hurry up to the line of scrimmage to discourage strategic substitutions on the part of the defense.

You are just splitting hairs to try and save face for your rude comments earlier.
Bless your heart

1stwordswerewoopig

There ARE other resources about the no huddle besides Gus' book.

The no huddle was in football long before Gus.

If you actually study it (and not just read one book on the subject) you'll see that there are variations to the tempo that you can use.

Teams have terms like "thunder," "lightning," "Indy," etc. to dictate the tempo that they want to use in the no huddle.

Yes, HUNH stands for Hurry Up No Huddle which does mean to snap the ball as quickly as possible but I think that some on this board incorrectly use "HUNH" to mean any type of no huddle.

onehogfan

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 11:00:45 am
Actually there isn't.

Not everyone who runs the West Coast style offense runs it exactly the same way either.

Snapping the ball quickly after placement is more of a tempo variant than a true departure from the scheme.

The main purpose of any no huddle offense is to hurry up to the line of scrimmage to discourage strategic substitutions on the part of the defense.

You are just splitting hairs to try and save face for your rude comments earlier.

no sir ,, it is not splitting hairs actually ..you can the run a no huddle offense and not bein a hurry up mode...........

.and if i was rude i am sorry that i lost my patience , it was impolite of me to point out where you were wrong in such an unkind manner....

HUNH is not equal to NH, there is a difference, and the difference is the urgency with which you snap the balll and within that there are different tempos.  No huddle on the other hand only has urgency to get to the line there is not necessarily an effort to hurry for the snap.......

Carolinas Hog

October 31, 2006, 11:18:10 am #29 Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 11:21:59 am by Carolinas Hog
Quote from: 1stwordswerewoopig on October 31, 2006, 11:10:52 am
There ARE other resources about the no huddle besides Gus' book.

The no huddle was in football long before Gus.

If you actually study it (and not just read one book on the subject) you'll see that there are variations to the tempo that you can use.

Teams have terms like "thunder," "lightning," "Indy," etc. to dictate the tempo that they want to use in the no huddle.

Yes, HUNH stands for Hurry Up No Huddle which does mean to snap the ball as quickly as possible but I think that some on this board incorrectly use "HUNH" to mean any type of no huddle.

Good points.  HUNH does not equal all no huddle.  However, in the context of Razorback football we are speaking of running the HUNH, which is what Gus advocates.  Isn't one of the fundamental goals of the HUNH, according to Gus, to get more snaps?  Lengthen the game by having more offensive plays, the 5th quarter...all that?

If that is accurate, then in terms of Razorback football and Gus coordinating the Offense, using examples like Indy, etc. are not relevant.

Further, with one of Gus' primary goals while running his flavor of the HUNH being to get more offensive plays, then the Defense could potentially play more snaps.

jamie72921

October 31, 2006, 11:29:47 am #30 Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 12:03:47 pm by jamie72921
I think what you are trying to say is that HUNH is a variant of the no huddle.

The only difference you keep pointing to between the 2 is when you snap the ball.

Tempo cannot be the dividing line, the main focus of both is hurrying to the line to keep teams from subbing, essentially making no real distinction.

Since when is snap count variations an offense in itself? If a West Coast offense snapped the ball quickly would they become a Hurry Up West Coast offense? No.

As I remember the Hurry Up Offense is what No Huddle offenses have always been called.

This is not a thread on Gus' philosophy either.

I believe Gus also says to run his out of the shotgun formation.
Bless your heart

onehogfan

tempo is the dividing line...hence the HU part of HUNH.

if you disagree with that statement, well then you re certainly entitled to your opinion

jamie72921

What about the shotgun?

According to some that matters too.

Not huddling is the hurry up. Always has been.
Bless your heart

Count_Porkula

My thoughts exactly.

More offensive snaps per game don't help you if you're winning anyway. TOP is an illusory argument. Our problem is that our backs running out of the I are ripping off 20+ yard runs with regularity. If their average would ever drop below 9 ypc we would control more clock. I'm pretty happy that our running game is so effective, which puts me in the minority here.

onehogfan

according to you .....however since this is a RAZORBACK board , one would surmise that our on staff OC 's definitions would be more accurate that yours.....

Shotgun has nothing to do with it .....

dudelove

Umm...Al Saunders doesn't run the HUNH, he doesn't even run the no-huddle much.  This is the same Al Saunders that went to the huddle, let Trent Green hand off to Priest Holmes for 3 years and now they're huddling up and letting Gimp hand off to Clinton Portis.  I don't know where this is all coming from.  Saunders is a pound it out guy, and yeah, they huddle most of the time.

jamie72921

Quote from: onehogfan on October 31, 2006, 12:39:06 pm
according to you .....however since this is a RAZORBACK board , one would surmise that our on staff OC 's definitions would be more accurate that yours.....

That is exactly what I am saying. The deliniation is being made on the basis of what Gus' book has said not by the facts.

HUNH was what the Bills ran in the 90's and when they snapped the ball had nothing to do with it.

Gus writes a book with his twist on this type of offense and it is what many on this board start using as the baseline. Gus wants the ball snapped within 5 seconds after being set, and now over a decades history is rewritten in some peoples minds.

If you are going to use Gus' definition, then use Gus' definition. Not just the part you think makes your point. Gus says to run it out of the shotgun. If you don't run it out of the shotgun then it can't be HUNH.

This is not my opinion however.
Bless your heart

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 12:36:36 pm
What about the shotgun?

If not huddling = no huddle, then why would Gus, aruguably a fairly educated man, be redundant and call it the hurry up no huddle.  If the two are the same, then why the redundancy.  Unless you work for the department of redundancy department.

iseeredpeople

We lead the league in rushing. We have the most dominat running game in the conference. We are also dead last in TOP. So I guess Parcells wouldnt care much for our way either.

jamie72921

Quote from: Carolinas Hog on October 31, 2006, 12:56:24 pm
What about the shotgun?

If not huddling = no huddle, then why would Gus, aruguably a fairly educated man, be redundant and call it the hurry up no huddle.  If the two are the same, then why the redundancy.  Unless you work for the department of redundancy department.

You validate my point. It existed before Gus and his book. Most of you use his twist on it as a bible of sorts.

Gus' way was not the first and is not the only way to run a Hurry Up No Huddle offensive scheme.
Bless your heart

Carolinas Hog

October 31, 2006, 01:22:45 pm #40 Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:46:48 pm by Carolinas Hog
Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 01:08:11 pm
What about the shotgun?

You validate my point. It existed before Gus and his book. Most of you use his twist on it as a bible of sorts.

Gus' way was not the first and is not the only way to run a Hurry Up No Huddle offensive scheme.

No.  I have the 64 box of crayons around here somewhere...

If the Hurry Up offense is synonymous with No Huddle offense, as you assert; then it makes no sense to use the terms together in the same descriptive phrase.  One would not say, "that was a brief and short game," without being redundant.

I was using Gus as an example of an educated man, who has written about the topic, to illustrate the unlikelihood of him using a descriptive phrase like "Hurry Up No Huddle" if it was redundant.

I do not care about Gus's book.  I have not seen it, read it, nor do I plan to any time soon.  However, to say there are not variations of the no huddle offense is just plain dumb.

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 01:08:11 pm
What about the shotgun?

Freakin' Alma right?  Nevermind...this has been a battle of wits with an unarmed man.

HoopS

With that being said, how do you know if it will work or not?   

ballhog88

Marshall (ESPN+) W 42-10 1-0 -13
E. Washington W 52-3 2-0 
Maryland (ESPN) W 45-24 3-0 -10
East Carolina (ESPN2) W 27-10 4-0 -13.5
Miss. State W 42-14 5-0 -21
Syracuse 41-17 6-0 (1-0) -25.5
Connecticut W 37-11 7-0 (2-0) -22.5
Louisville
Cincinnati     
Pittsburgh     
South Florida     
Rutgers     

Here's WV Schedule.. Can someone say cupcake schedule. Quit bringing up WV offense they play no one. Play in the SEC and see how there offense works.   

onehogfan

Quote from: jamie72921 on October 31, 2006, 12:47:40 pm
Quote from: onehogfan on October 31, 2006, 12:39:06 pm

That is exactly what I am saying. The deliniation is being made on the basis of what Gus' book has said not by the facts.

HUNH was what the Bills ran in the 90's and when they snapped the ball had nothing to do with it.

Gus writes a book with his twist on this type of offense and it is what many on this board start using as the baseline. Gus wants the ball snapped within 5 seconds after being set, and now over a decades history is rewritten in some peoples minds.

If you are going to use Gus' definition, then use Gus' definition. Not just the part you think makes your point. Gus says to run it out of the shotgun. If you don't run it out of the shotgun then it can't be HUNH.

This is not my opinion however.

you keep making misstatements and then trying to spin it a differnet way....Gus does not say you have to use the shotgun......
\
you are right not your opinion..it is your MISUNDERSTANDING....

you are right that gus' way is neither the first or the only nevertheless has defined the  two as being different and i think that his opinion is just a shade more qualified than yours ....

wanna try again??

HoopS

Oh, that's right.  They didn't work Georgia's but all over the field.

Carolinas Hog

Quote from: HoopSlap on October 31, 2006, 01:46:32 pm
Oh, that's right.  They didn't work Georgia's but all over the field.

We worked Texas' beginning of 03', and finsihed in the Indy Bowl.  What's your point?   Stop with the strawman...

HoopS

We only have 2 examples of WVU vs the S.E.C, that game and MSU game this year and they haven't had too much trouble in either game.  This was the same Georgia team we lost to, except when they played UGa had Shockey...thankfully we got Tereshinski...

You can thank Matt and C4 for the Ambush in Austin.  Oh, and Chance Mock.

dana caldwell

October 31, 2006, 01:56:42 pm #48 Last Edit: October 31, 2006, 01:58:47 pm by dana caldwell

innovation is not a bad thing. just bc someone else is not doing it to the degree that malzahn will after this season does not mean it won't work.

how'd "40 Minutes of Hell" work for richardson in the hey-days? sure, it was a style that had been employed by others (G'Town, etc.) but not to the degree that nolan unleashed it. i was proud that arkansas had an aggressive, unique style.

what about jenkins and the run-and-shoot?

joe tiller's offense in the Big Ten?

option in the NFL? no way! never work! see the falcons this season?

i don't give a flip who has or has not run something similar to what malzahn intends.

i believe it will work and set college FB on its heels. i cannot wait to see it in real action, although we'll have to do just that until next season.

ballhog88

They play no one. They beat GA last year. I'd take there schedule any day.