Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ark. vs. Tenn. ESPN Gameday?

Started by Reb-87, October 09, 2006, 03:51:53 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhog14

Quote from: Simple Swineman on October 26, 2006, 01:01:51 pm
Quote from: dudelove on October 26, 2006, 10:01:56 am
Doesn't ESPN get first choice two weeks on SEC games?  They already used one on Florida vs. Auburn.  Wouldn't the logical game to choose next be Ark vs. Tenn if both teams are in the top 10?

CBS always gets first pick, but CBS is only allowed to show the same team no more than four times in the regular season. They showed Florida against Tennessee, Alabama, LSU, and already had the Georgia game scheduled. So CBS couldn't show the Florida/Auburn game. That is why ESPN ended up with that game.

If Arkansas and Tennessee are both in the top 10 there is no way in the world CBS doesn't pick up our game. There is also no way in the world Gameday will not be here. It will be by far the national game of the week.

Actually, yes, ESPN gets first pick twice a year.  I have a buddy who works fo rESPN, and he informed me of this contractual agreement when the Florida/Auburn game was on ESPN and the Bama/Ole Piss game was the CBS game.  I was wondering why CBS would pick Bama/Ole Piss over Florida/Auburn, and that's why.

football17

Quote from: woodhog14 on October 26, 2006, 12:51:51 pm
Quote from: football17 on October 25, 2006, 09:56:33 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 25, 2006, 06:28:44 pm
1. GameDay usually goes to games appearing on ESPN or ABC.

2. Logistics might keep it from happening. Try finding one hotel room in NWA that weekend, let alone 70 or so.

They supposedly reserved rooms a week ro so ago... also, the game doesnt have to be on ABC or ESPN... example: Auburn vs. LSU

Gameday was NOT at the LSU/Auburn game earlier this year.  They were out in LA for the USC/Nebraska game that day.  For Gameday to show up somewhere, it doesn't have to be televised by ESPN or ABC. They have done plenty in the past that have been on CBS and NBC as well(Notre Dame).

I was mistaken. Gameday was at LSU-Florida and that game was televised by CBS.

JDHogg

Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 26, 2006, 12:37:28 pm
Quote from: jackwalker on October 26, 2006, 12:15:43 pm
Quote from: ScottFaldon on October 26, 2006, 11:00:26 am

2. Logistics might keep it from happening. Try finding one hotel room in NWA that weekend, let alone 70 or so.

They supposedly reserved rooms a week ro so ago... also, the game doesnt have to be on ABC or ESPN... example: Auburn vs. LSU

If you tried to find 70 rooms for the Ark/Tenn game, you could have started in September and not found them all in NWA.

Several sources in both NWA and Fort Smith are saying ESPN might wind up staying down here for that game. But finding 70 rooms in Fort Smith can be a problem on game weekends.

I'm sure it's hard to find hotels in Austin Texas during a gameweekend too...

Not nearly as difficult.

The Austin metro has a population of 1.3 million. Acccording to its Convention and Visitor's Bureau, there are more than 25,000 hotel rooms in Austin's city limits, with 5,500 located near the convention center.

Does NWA even have 5,500 hotel rooms?

How dare you enter a post based with facts!!  jk
"That's why you want something a little different", says Nutt entering his 9th season on the hill.
"You look at Florida last year," Nutt says.  "They struggled with their offense because of change...overhaul change.  Change is hard."

Quoted from August 2006 Hootens's Arkansas Football.

woodhog14

Quote from: football17 on October 26, 2006, 01:38:24 pm
Quote from: woodhog14 on October 26, 2006, 12:51:51 pm

Gameday was NOT at the LSU/Auburn game earlier this year.  They were out in LA for the USC/Nebraska game that day.  For Gameday to show up somewhere, it doesn't have to be televised by ESPN or ABC. They have done plenty in the past that have been on CBS and NBC as well(Notre Dame).

I was mistaken. Gameday was at LSU-Florida and that game was televised by CBS.

Gotcha!  :)

Hawgvillain

Hey I got a fold-out sofa that Lee and Kirk can sleep on if need-be.  As long as Lee doesn't mind hundreds of drunken "not-so-fast" jokes....

Salty Hog

Screw gameday..can't worry about things you can't control..just keep winning and everything else will take care of itself!   GHG WPS!!!!
Fear The Hog!!!!

elksnort

Yeah, but it would be exciting! THEN the Fayetteville situation WOULD be as fired up as WMS.

RazorRedneck

Quote from: elksnort on October 26, 2006, 02:44:16 pm
Yeah, but it would be exciting! THEN the Fayetteville situation WOULD be as fired up as WMS.

Please don't take us down this road, PLEASE!!!!!

hogpowr

Its like a perfect storm,..........bring on Game Day!  Bring on SECCG!  Bring on NC Game!  Oh yea, one game at a time,.........Bring on ULM!!

Go Hogs Go!
Welcome Coach Bielema!

softserve

I recieved this e-mail on 10/18. From a pretty reliable source.  But draw your own conclusions.

Subject: ESPN Gameday

Got some information from someone that works in the Chamber of Commerce in Rogers and sits right down the hall from the Visitors and Convention Bureau.  ESPN has called and is looking to book 70 rooms for the Tennessee game weekend.  Yes.......Gameday.  I know all were already thinking this could be a strong possibility but it's close to reality right now.  I'm sure if something drastic happens, it can be cancelled but this guys says that it's highly unlikely that something would happen where they'd pull out.

We'll see.
Don't sweat the petty stuff, pet the sweaty stuff.

hogpowr

Quote from: hogpowr on October 26, 2006, 04:24:45 pm
Its like a perfect storm,..........bring on Game Day!  Bring on SECCG!  Bring on NC Game!  Oh yea, one game at a time,.........Bring on ULM!!

Go Hogs Go!

and the Cardinals are in the World Series............
Welcome Coach Bielema!

MM-gohogs

Quote from: MM-gohogs on October 25, 2006, 07:20:39 pm
also the fact that gameday has the schedule set before the season starts could make it tough for them to make the tennessee game.
but isn't the tennessee game scheduled for 6pm rather than TBA? aren't those times usually set in stone?

i would just like to quote myself and say i'm an idiot. i read that the decide week by week on the set up there and i feel like a hugger... sorry i was wrong about that one. if gameday came to the hill that would be the balls...

WPS
go hogs!!
aka: Galactic President Superstar McAwesomeville.

nutt huggers: glittering jewels of colossal ignorance - ME

"for all intensive purposes"--me, hogville taught me something today, thanks
missippihog: "I'm not arguing with you road scholars anymore. GO HOGS!"
hogfanwithms: "Georgia and Arkansas has no defense but Alabama does!"
Karma: "MM, we such today and unfortanely they are calling it like it is."

Break & Run

I email Freddie Coleman (does the College Scoreboard Show on ESPN Radio) all the time.  He says that if Arkansas and Tennessee both win out, they will definitely pick Arkansas/Tennessee for College GameDay over Spurrier/Florida.  I hope we win out, b/c they're excited about coming to Arkansas for GameDay.  They also say that it wouldn't be the last time they come to Fayetteville for GameDay if Arkansas keeps rising in the National Spotlight the next years.
Quote from: Michael BernalWhat's your favorite Arkansas tradition?
"I can't be cliché and say 'Call the Hogs,' but I think I have to.  That's just something that sets our university apart.  When you're out on the field and everyone in the stadium stands up, it's amazing.  Even when we're at a football or basketball game, just to see that many people around you doing the same thing for you when you're on the field or for the other guys who are playing, it's pretty awesome."

ArmyHogfan1981

hogerson

Quote from: hog_fan_08 on October 27, 2006, 09:03:00 am
I email Freddie Coleman (does the College Scoreboard Show on ESPN Radio) all the time.  He says that if Arkansas and Tennessee both win out, they will definitely pick Arkansas/Tennessee for College GameDay over Spurrier/Florida.  I hope we win out, b/c they're excited about coming to Arkansas for GameDay.  They also say that it wouldn't be the last time they come to Fayetteville for GameDay if Arkansas keeps rising in the National Spotlight the next years.
Plus another thing we have over Spurrier/Florida is that Gameday has already been to the Swamp this year for LSU @ Florida.  I have never see the rule written down, but I think that is at least an unwritten rule that says that Gameday won't visit the same campus 2x in one season.  That don't have any problem visiting the same team more than once per season, e.g. Florida, Ohio State, Tennessee (if they come to Fay.)