Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Arkansas should join the Big 12

Started by SoonerBaHog, December 07, 2017, 09:42:17 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Razor8

Im affraid I would have complete apathy for razorback sports if we moved to the big 12. I say NO, also think we should ban anyone who starts these threads over and over.
Razorbacks

Tusks

New B12

Arkansas
OU
OkSt
Kansas
KSU
Missouri
Nebraska
Iowa St
Texas
Texas A/M
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Colorado
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

hobhog

Quote from: SoonerBaHog on December 07, 2017, 09:46:41 pm
I think it would be great to play the despised Texas Longhorns every year.

When was last game you attended?

hobhog

Quote from: tusked on December 08, 2017, 01:02:18 am

New B12

Arkansas
OU
OkSt
Kansas
KSU
Missouri
Nebraska
Iowa St
Texas
Texas A/M
Texas Tech
TCU
Baylor
Colorado

You have to be under 30 and non ticket holder....

okrazorback

Why? That is crazy to say we can't compete in the SEC .  all we need is to get the right and not fire him, but that will probably never happen.

synthartist69

Because our membership in the SEC is what is going to SELL all those top notch Texas recruits we are going after. We are recruiting against Jimbo Fisher now, not to count Patterson and Texas itself. One thing going for us is that we now have Morris... the other is that we are in the SEC!!!  But I do get your point and earlier this year I was ready to get out of the SEC. But now with Morris... this will help him sell Ark to those high schoolers in Texas.

Shrevepork

Quote from: SoonerBaHog on December 07, 2017, 09:42:17 pm
Everybody agrees the SEC is the toughest conference.  Everybody wants to win.  Most say Arkansas cannot recruit against the SEC.  So why not join the Big 12 and get back to the old stomping grounds of the Southwest Conference days?

To be the best, play the best. SEC

GohogsGoWps

Hugo Bezdek

Everybody agrees the SEC is the toughest conference.  Everybody wants to win.  Most say Arkansas cannot recruit against the SEC.  So why not join the Big 12 and get back to the old stomping grounds of the Southwest Conference days?

No.

Hawghiggs

Hawghiggs

Quote from: Hollywood870 on December 07, 2017, 10:46:19 pm
Add Baylor, Houston, and SMU. Rice instead of New Mexico.

All four are redundant markets. New Mexico isn't quality by any standard. But they are the flagship program of a small state. That would give the New SWC five states.

ncrebel

Oh look, another "Arkansas big 12" thread.  So original and absolutely pointless discussion. 
Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

Inhogswetrust

WOW. An Arkansas should join the Big 12 thread. Why hasn't anyone ever though of starting one of those before...........................no, wait, never mind.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Knot2brite

We will never do that because of the money and the myth that just because you are in the sec then you are automatically better than everyone not in the sec....most people that resist the move to the big 12 are those that scream Sec sec when a 6-6 team from the Sec wins the Catapiller/John Deere/ Huskavarner Dirt Bowl over some MAC team. It is the Association thrill we get from just being in the sec ....it isn't about wins
Usually in EI where intelligent conversation is required

Tuskya

Wish these periodic, idiotic anti-Razorback posts would be deleted instantly!

PonderinHog

Quote from: ncrebel on December 08, 2017, 06:59:03 am
Oh look, another "Arkansas big 12" thread.  So original and absolutely pointless discussion.
Like breasts without nipples.

Pointless...

The NewEra

We have six years with terrible coaching and someone actually suggest the solution is to get out of the Olympic pool and go the Kiddy pool so that we can be competitive?  What a wonderful message that sends.  The idea is to address the issues (coaching & recruiting), not to change the competition.

The whole idea of this coaching change is to address our coaching and recruiting issues.  In addition, it seems that the UofA PTB have finally said, enough is enough.  We are going to fund what we need to be successful on both sides of the ball to be competitive.  I'm very hopeful we are in the process of making the necessary changes right now, but to retreat, tuck our tails and run to a lesser conference isn't a serious way to correct the problem.  Plus, the financial and public perception hit would be disastrous.

Athog

Why not join Gulf South?? Der

TuckFexas81

Never gonna happen, Arkansas is not going to say goodbye to all that SEC money they receive every year.

ncrebel

Quote from: PonderinHog on December 08, 2017, 07:12:50 am
Like breasts without nipples.

Pointless...

Well played Ponderinhog.  Well played.

These big 12 threads are like an old woman's breasts.  There are men on here who remember what she looked like in her 20s and want to relive that time.  Problem now is they sagging down to her knees.  Nobody wants to see them anymore. 

Well, y'all need me, I'll be putting pictures of my arse on the internet.

HogFan86

I do wonder if Arkansas suffers from leaving the Big 12 (SWC) footprint. We saw what happened to Nebraska when they left the Big 12, they lost access to the Texas recruits and have really suffered. Once we left the SWC, the same thing happened to us. We became less competitive and lost access to top players in Texas.

Maybe with todays social media and technology it matters less, but I personally think we would be more competitive and recruit better in the Big12.

okrazorback

Most are wrong. Bobby Petrino proved we can compete in the SEC. Some day we will probably accidently hire a good coach. That maybe Morris but that is a guess. We never go after the one we know can compete. Why is that?

Tony Perkis

I'm in. Most away games would be much more manageable to travel to.

Science Fiction Greg

I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

DeltaBoy

Please stop we are not going to the Big 12.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

NWASooner

The competitiveness is a push in football.  All of the Big 12 minus Kanas would be competitive to win the SEC East.  In basketball, the Big 12 is much better.  Competitiveness comes and goes, though.  That's really not the issue.

The money difference isn't as much as you think.  If memory serves correct, the Big 12 has a clause that calls for automatic $20M increase for every team they add.  The networks pushed back on them when there (jokingly) looking at Tulane and Memphis.  They wouldn't with Arkansas.  Also, Arkansas would own its Tier 3 rights and could package that.  (Missouri should also go back because they're awful in everything.)

As for the stability of the Big 12, that's a factor.  Texas and OU refused to sign their GOR extension and that will be a deal breaker for anyone to move there.  I do think if Arkansas or a Missouri were to commit to that, the networks would throw even more money at the Big 12 just to keep it together.  If that's the case, the GOR would likely be signed and the Big 12 lives in it's mummified state forever.

Arkansas and a Missouri would also make the Big 12 a really good basketball conference.

Also, and most importantly, college sports are about rivalries and Arkansas has MUCH better rivalries in the Big 12.  You'd be playing yearly games against Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, etc.  That's a helluva lot better rivalry than any game Arkansas plays in the SEC, except maybe LSU.

In the end, though, this won't happen.  It should but it won't.

Hugo Bezdek

At some point the Big 12 will break up. Their media deals and grant of rights expire in 2024 I believe and outside of OU and Texas there no major draws for that league. My prediction is that OU and Texas will join the SEC, and the B12 will go the way of the Big East/AAC, maybe merge with Mountain West. Kansas and WV may escape to the Big Ten and ACC but that will be it. Arkansas is not going to join what is almost definitely a sinking ship.

NaturalStateReb

Here's why joining the Big 12 is a stupid move for Arkansas, aside from the money:

The Big 12 will exist as long as Texas and Oklahoma will it to exist, and maybe just Texas.  Oklahoma wants out, that's no secret, preferably to the Big 10 but maybe to the SEC if the Big 10 option isn't there and OU is falling behind financially.  Texas has always had an eye on the PAC and institutions it considers peers and public Ivies.  If that happens, the Big 12 is going to fall apart. 

If the Big 12 falls apart, where would Arkansas go?  Arkansas wouldn't get reinvited to the SEC after having just recently left.  They won't get a PAC offer because it's too far away and the academics aren't there.  The Big 10 is going to have an academic problem too, and if OU is an odd fit for them, Arkansas is even more so.  Potentially Arkansas could join the ACC, but it's far away and an odd fit.

You would be risking volunteering for demotion to the G5 in a conference of left overs with the likes of Baylor, Kansas State, Iowa State, Memphis, and Cincinnati.     That kind of demotion would be financially ruinous--even if you think the risk of that is potentially low, the consequences of it are deadly.  Arkansas would be spectacularly stupid to accept that kind of risk.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

okrazorback

I still say the same thing. We can win in the sec with the right coach. By that I am not saying we have the right coach, but I am no longer saying we don't because I don't know. It is the coach Alabama because of Saban. Auburn because of Gus. The coach always makes the difference.

Hugo Bezdek

Quote from: NWASooner on December 08, 2017, 08:21:30 am

Also, and most importantly, college sports are about rivalries and Arkansas has MUCH better rivalries in the Big 12.  You'd be playing yearly games against Texas, OU, TCU, OSU, etc.  That's a helluva lot better rivalry than any game Arkansas plays in the SEC, except maybe LSU.

In the end, though, this won't happen.  It should but it won't.

I agree about college sports being about great rivalries. It's why I welcomed Mizzou and A&M in the SEC and why I'd like to see OU over here eventually as well. I'll even say I'd like to see Texas here but I know there are a lot who don't share that opinion. I think rivalries with OU and Texas would be much more meaningful to Arkansas than Alabama and Auburn. And we would continue to play LSU, Ole Miss, A&M and Mizzou.

BOAR_N2BWILD

Quote from: Kevin on December 07, 2017, 10:47:40 pm
Not this again. Good grief
agreed!!!! Now can someone start a GSD thread!
Phil. 4:13 "I can do all things through Him, who gives me strength."

younghog

horrible idea..

GO HOGS

jackflash

NWASooner

Really, it's about the rivalries.  One thing that makes college football great is the regional rivalries and one of the things I hate about super conferences is how they've killed those.  Pitt doesn't play West Virginia anymore.  Texas doesn't play A&M.  Nebraska doesn't play OU.  Kansas and Missouri don't play each other.  All of these rivalries had a colorful history and years of emotion built up within them.

Arkansas has been in the SEC for over 20 years and still doesn't have a rival?  (LSU, maybe?  Their rival is Bama.)  Merge into the Big 12 and there are 4 instant rivalries that are better than anything Arkansas has in the SEC.  You think the fan base wouldn't get excited about Texas or OU coming to town every year?  Okie State?

Like I said, this should happen or at least be given serious thought because conference affiliation is the opiate of the Arkansas masses.

Al Boarland

People would say we tucked our tails and ran. You could look at it that way. However, it would be the best move from a competitive standpoint. Years down the road everyone would agree.

PORKULATOR

Dump
Quitters quit.
Loser mentality. Only way I'd support leaving the SEC would be if we dominated it for 15 years and it just was fun anymore.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Tony Perkis on December 08, 2017, 08:19:06 am
I'm in. Most away games would be much more manageable to travel to.

If that means for you then that's selfish.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

the 1 and only

The only benefit  to the little  12. Would be ease of travel
molon Labe

Use your rights before you lose them

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NWASooner on December 08, 2017, 12:07:27 pm
Really, it's about the rivalries.  One thing that makes college football great is the regional rivalries and one of the things I hate about super conferences is how they've killed those.  Pitt doesn't play West Virginia anymore.  Texas doesn't play A&M.  Nebraska doesn't play OU.  Kansas and Missouri don't play each other.  All of these rivalries had a colorful history and years of emotion built up within them.

Arkansas has been in the SEC for over 20 years and still doesn't have a rival?  (LSU, maybe?  Their rival is Bama.)  Merge into the Big 12 and there are 4 instant rivalries that are better than anything Arkansas has in the SEC. You think the fan base wouldn't get excited about Texas or OU coming to town every year?  Okie State?

Like I said, this should happen or at least be given serious thought because conference affiliation is the opiate of the Arkansas masses.

No there isn't. That is only your opinion based on your moniker. The only rival we had from the old SWC days exists mainly in the heads of some old hog fans. Texas did not consider us a rival in the same way they did TAMU and OU.

HamIAm

... because conference affiliation is the opiate of the Arkansas masses.

What?

jneal56

Why would you leave a better conference for a worse one while also losing money in the process just to gain 1-2 wins per year at best?
"At least we are moral"

Jimmy

There just aren't that many interesting campus locations in the big 12, and I've already been to one of those many times. 

Science Fiction Greg

Arkansas has been in the SEC for over 20 years and still doesn't have a rival?  (LSU, maybe?  Their rival is Bama.)  Merge into the Big 12 and there are 4 instant rivalries that are better than anything Arkansas has in the SEC.  You think the fan base wouldn't get excited about Texas or OU coming to town every year?  Okie State?

LOL

no

As far as rivals go, maybe Oklahoma.  Sure, I still hate Texas, but I hate them so much I don't even want to play them.  F em.  If Oklahoma wanted a rivalry with Arkansas, bring em into the SEC or they can f off too.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.

247Hog

Quote from: HogPharmer on December 07, 2017, 09:45:28 pm
We can't win here so let's go to a sucky conference so we can maybe get into the CFP and still prove why we don't belong there? You're an idiot.

I'm not saying i want to go to the Big 12 but im tired of OU playing 3 tough games a year and getting into the playoffs. I bet you if they had to do the SEC grind every weak, they wouldn't make it to the playoffs.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

hogfanny

no, not yet. The man said he will get us a defence. If he does, we will be just fine.If not we would be better off in the AAC with SMU, or a pine box

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HamIAm on December 08, 2017, 12:36:12 pm
What?
When Arkansas fans chant "SEC, SEC, SEC" after beating New Mexico State.  Or chanting "SEC, SEC, SEC" when one of the other SEC teams that beats Arkansas brains in wins a big bowl game.

Grizzlyfan

Arkansas probably should have joined the Big 12 instead of the SEC.  But they shouldn't join now.

Truth:  I remember that just last year, the actual difference in money per team in the Big 12 and the SEC wasn't that much different.  Also remember that our recruiting rating would have placed 4th in the Big 12.  The best reason for us not trying to go to the Big 12 is EGO.  We refuse to admit that the SEC is a bit strong for us based on who we hire and how we recruit and because of us really messing those two items up time after time, the disparity just gets worse.