Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

For those on the fence about Kiffin...

Started by FaytownHog, December 05, 2017, 12:46:32 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: talley on December 05, 2017, 08:06:15 am
WHAT HAS HE DONE!!!! he couldn't win at Tennessee and he couldn't win at USC. You can say they had sanctions during that time, but I guarantee you it was STILL easier to get good players there than here.  Not to mention, I bet they had more 4 and 5 star talent then we do right now.  AND they don't play the same talent level and he STILL couldn't get it done.  The man went to Alabama where they have literally more 4 and 5 star players on the bench then we will have in 5 years and it's not like he lit the world on fire with his offense.  NOT TO MENTION the amount of baggage the man brings.  I just don't get the love or the upside the man would bring here.

He's the only candidate in the pool that has only had winning seasons as a P5 head coach. Norvell and Morris haven't even had their first P5 job. Venables has zero HC experience. If you want the Hogs to hire a project who needs to learn on the fly then by all means, Kiffin isn't your guy. If you want a coach with no clue what it takes to compete in today's SEC then, again, Kiffin is not for you.

AugustaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on December 05, 2017, 08:30:20 am
Kiffin doesn't want a high buyout. He wants to be able to pursue a better job if one comes along. That's why he didn't get hired at Houston.
I think this is the question at hand.  I'm only interested if we are able to lock him into a really solid buyout.  Houston doesn't have the ability to leverage somebody like Kiffin into a large buyout.  They aren't P5, facilities don't compare, salary isn't close, prestige is not there, etc.  I'm not sure we offer anything other than money and really nice facilities that are on par with the big boys.  Are we the kind of job that he'd happily lock himself into?  I don't really know.  He has shown with his bolting Tenn. after one year that he would leave a situation if the right offer presents itself.  If he comes out and wins 8-9 games next year, is he throwing his hat back into the ring?  I would want to ensure that it is painful for him to leave for at least 3 years.  If the guy comes in and kicks ass for 3 years and heads to a marquee job, we will be better off than we currently are.  It should be an easier sell the next time we'd be looking for a new coach. 

HogPokerPlayer

Quote from: GuvHog on December 05, 2017, 08:30:20 am
Kiffin doesn't want a high buyout. He wants to be able to pursue a better job if one comes along. That's why he didn't get hired at Houston.

That was his first HC gig since trying to repair is rep. He knew he would have to go to a small school and prove it first. Of course his goal is to move to a bigger program. Don't act like you can compare ours to Houston's, regardless of how bad of shape we are in now.  He knows a big buy out is coming at any p5 program, especially a SEC one.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: hawg1221 on December 05, 2017, 07:55:20 am
What kind of offense does Kiffin run?

At FAU he is running a lot of Art Briles' offense coordinated by his son Kendell.

GuvHog

Quote from: HogPokerPlayer on December 05, 2017, 08:55:13 am
That was his first HC gig since trying to repair is rep. He knew he would have to go to a small school and prove it first. Of course his goal is to move to a bigger program. Don't act like you can compare ours to Houston's, regardless of how bad of shape we are in now.  He knows a big buy out is coming at any p5 program, especially a SEC one.

Believe what you want but what I said is true. It's why FAU was the only HC job he could get while he was at Bama. They were willing to hire him with a low buyout. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that's one of the reasons he hasn't already gotten the Arkansas job.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HogPokerPlayer

Quote from: GuvHog on December 05, 2017, 09:12:19 am
Believe what you want but what I said is true. It's why FAU was the only HC job he could get while he was at Bama. They were willing to hire him with a low buyout.

I agree with you.  My point is that he has to know a bigger buyout will be in place once he moves on from FAU.

Responding to your edit: I obviously don't know, but I can't imagine he thinks a bigger program is going to hire him and not expect a fairly substantial buyout. He may have done some dumb things, but he isn't that dumb.

talley

Quote from: NotSoFastMyFriend on December 05, 2017, 08:51:51 am
He's the only candidate in the pool that has only had winning seasons as a P5 head coach. Norvell and Morris haven't even had their first P5 job. Venables has zero HC experience. If you want the Hogs to hire a project who needs to learn on the fly then by all means, Kiffin isn't your guy. If you want a coach with no clue what it takes to compete in today's SEC then, again, Kiffin is not for you.

I want a coach who doesn't get outdone by ED ORGERON. let that sink in for a second.  All talking aside, the man had the EXACT same talent as ed did, and went 3-2. Ol' Ed went 6-2 with that SAME TALENT! How is this even a conversation worth having?! he couldn't get it done with USC! he got WORSE every year with USC! he couldn't win in the EAST! WITH THE BEST TEAM IN THE EAST! the East is BEYOND terrible.  but you want him to come here and try winning? He couldn't do it at top ten schools, but he can do it here?  Come on now! he literally got outcoached by Ed Orgeron. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: FaytownHog on December 05, 2017, 12:46:32 am
read this and see if it does anything for you. I still don't know if he's my top choice but I would definitely be ok with it.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21493936/florida-atlantic-coach-lane-kiffin-having-fun-now-winning

A lot to like there!

especially stuff like this:

"It's fourth-and-2, but do we take knees here? No, we have a no-knee mentality," Kiffin says.

Hoggish1

Quote from: talley on December 05, 2017, 08:06:15 am
WHAT HAS HE DONE!!!! he couldn't win at Tennessee

Uh, he was 7-5 @ Tenn.  Try again...

hogginbama

Quote from: Muleriderhog on December 05, 2017, 05:33:43 am
Same thing was said about Petrino. We are a destination job and a buyout would keep him from leaving. Also if he were to leave it would be solely due to the fact that he won here and won big which would leave us in a better spot than we are in now.

What makes us a destination job? Coaches know this is not a destination job, they know the crazy nature of our fans, they know our administration loves to have "whose pecker is bigger" battles every so often, and the big names want nothing to do with the dumpster fire.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

IronHog

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 05, 2017, 06:31:46 am
Some of our people want a preacher who will stay here for 20 years. I want as ass who will win games.

I have no problems with a horses rear end.  Loved Bobby and thought he was a great coach.

Kiffin is a 41 year old frat boy though.....he's gonna mess up or wet his pants on TV eventually.

Hire a real man.
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

DeltaBoy

I take Lane if we get his dad as DC.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Spektre

Fans are insane everywhere. EVERYWHERE. Some are worse than others... Auburn and Tennessee are recent examples. Arkansas is pretty damn tame compared to others I've seen.

The money folks meddling in the business and forcing their agendas into the mix is the biggest issue any coach would look at. A legit head coach will want to do things his way. Period. So, if you want to see the biggest deal breaker, we've been watching it unfold the last week and a half.

Here are some things people need to keep in mind:
1) Yes, Kiffin has negatives. All coaches do.
2) Kiffin learned from Pete Carroll how to be in the spotlight and make it work for you. Watch the USC 30 for 30 on ESPN. It also shows he can take public criticism and keep doing his thing... something most coaches CAN'T handle.
3) If a coach comes in and succeeds at Arkansas, it can be a destination job if the supporting cast in the AD/BOT/Check writers MAKE IT a destination job. You want a quality head coach? Pay for one, pay for great assistants, and pay to keep him. Loyalty is not totally dead. You show them yours, they'll show you their's. If they leave, people pay attention... that support will be a huge attraction to the next guy looking for a home.
4) We need someone with a killer instinct and balls enough to stand up for the players and fans, and stand up against the powers that be if necessary. Petrino had that. Kiffin has that. This is the closest thing Petrino lovers can get to BP on a lot of levels, so pay attention.
5) Kiffin will WANT to rain on Saban's parade. Craves it. Beating him would be the ultimate troll job, and you better believe that's a top priority. SEC West school gets a shot every year.

paul hog

slappy

Seebs

I am on the stripper pole regarding Kiffin. Bring it.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

ghostzapper

I love how people put the possibility that Lane would leave us as a reason not to hire him, as if a successful Morris or Venables or Norvell would never do that.  Lane has been to his big time schools.  I am having a hard time coming up with the bigger program Lane would now want given the ones he's been to.  I think he would love to kick Saban's ass from Fayetteville and, as long as the jack is commensurate with his success, he'll stay. 

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 05, 2017, 10:17:26 am
A lot to like there!

especially stuff like this:

"It's fourth-and-2, but do we take knees here? No, we have a no-knee mentality," Kiffin says.

wendellgee

His attire on the way to the office every morning is a little more formal: swim trunks, faded T-shirt, ball cap and flip-flops.

Oh Noes! More flip-flops

duckman

Quote from: IronHog on December 05, 2017, 10:37:27 am

I have no problems with a horses rear end.  Loved Bobby and thought he was a great coach.

Kiffin is a 41 year old frat boy though.....he's gonna mess up or wet his pants on TV eventually.

Hire a real man.

Like Bert?

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ghostzapper on December 05, 2017, 11:43:48 am
as long as the jack is commensurate with his success, he'll stay.

We've already proven how much "jack" we'll pay for beating a 6-6 Texas team,  I can't imagine what he could get for beating Saban...

hawgwash

How much buyout it will cost him to leave is only one of the issues.  The other one is how much would it cost us to fire him.  That's what happened in 3 OF HIS LAST 4 JOBS, DURING THE SEASON.  As we've seen with Bielema and Long, that can be very expensive.

dfwalumdad

Quote from: duckman on December 05, 2017, 06:28:08 am
If you think Kiffin would be gone in two years, have you ever heard of a buyout?  People, things like that can be taken care of up front.  This is the guy we need...

they said the same thing about petrino.