Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

John Clayton on Seattle Sports Talk said Arkansas interviewed Mike Leach today..

Started by DuckTalesLOL, December 04, 2017, 06:54:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

JONAS

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on December 04, 2017, 06:57:52 pm
Leach is much better than Chad Morris, Tim Horton, Skip Holtz...

Yep, but people were complaining that Norvell's team plays no defense.  Leach's teams do not either. 

HF#1

Quote from: DZ on December 04, 2017, 07:30:43 pm
how so? looks like he is building up a team to me. again.

Nowhere to go but down. He wouldn't be a good fit. We would be replacing him in 3 years.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

hoghearted

It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

jry04

Quote from: JONAS on December 04, 2017, 07:31:24 pm
Yep, but people were complaining that Norvell's team plays no defense.  Leach's teams do not either. 
24.4 ppg good for 47th in the country. Held teams to 25 or fewer points 7 times this season. Held USC to 27 points. Stanford to 21 points. Oregon to 10 points.

Sure, they had quite a few where they were in shootouts, but half the people on this board are begging for Bobby back. Our 2011 team that went 11-2 gave up 28+ points in half our games that season, including 3 games of 38+. Nobody cares about how many points you score or how many points you give up as long as you win. Mike has proven he can win at a high level at places with inferior talent than Arkansas.

DZ

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2017, 07:32:14 pm
Nowhere to go but down. He wouldn't be a good fit. We would be replacing him in 3 years.
well, thats your opinion and you're welcome to it. I disagree. the fit I might give you but BP pissed off a lot of people too.

hogfan446

Quote from: jry04 on December 04, 2017, 07:24:12 pm
How? We signed Norvell weeks ago...

You guarantee we have signed Norvell over a week ago, but then continue to entertain other coaching hires in every thread. Either we hired Norvell and none of these other coaches are a possibility, or we haven't hired him. Which is it?

He has no clue. Never did... just a guess from a "source" that didn't know what they were talking about.

rljjr

Quote from: hog_fan on December 04, 2017, 06:57:47 pm
If you want 8-9 wins he is your guy. More then that won't happen with him.

Suddenly, depression set in. I'd rather have Morris and hope for Venables as his DC.

Hogsolo

Hell yeah.   Let's get under the skin of the entire conference and have SEC leaders in several categories every year!

streitenberger

One byproduct of a Leach offense is that his QB is going to get sacked a lot, that's just the way it is with Air Raid. It's to be expected, with such a high percentage of passes thrown - hope his QB(s) can take all those blindside hits from SEC caliber defenses.

TNarch

Come on everybody. 

If you want reason to question the intelligence of the UofA leadership let them hire Kiffin.  Then they will be certifiable.

rljjr

DZ

Quote from: streitenberger on December 04, 2017, 07:45:51 pm
One byproduct of a Leach offense is that his QB is going to get sacked a lot, that's just the way it is with Air Raid. It's to be expected, with such a high percentage of passes thrown - hope his QB(s) can take all those blindside hits from SEC caliber defenses.
you mean worse than Bielema ball was the past 2-3 years? no way..

mizzouman

Leach would not be a good hire.  I don't see the attraction.  In 16 years as head coach, he's only won more than 9 games once. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: mizzouman on December 04, 2017, 07:48:27 pm
Leach would not be a good hire.  I don't see the attraction.  In 16 years as head coach, he's only won more than 9 games once.
what school has he ever coached for that has a winning tradition?
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

sowmonella

Exactly correct. Leach is a joke.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

WPSALLDAY

He's interviewing his coaches is what someone said in another thread. When Lane gets his chance he will strike like the red sign indicating donuts are fresh and hot at Krispy Kreme

U-A Filthy Pig

streitenberger

Quote from: DZ on December 04, 2017, 07:48:19 pm
you mean worse than Bielema ball was the past 2-3 years? no way..

Yes, worse, if we're talking about sack totals. Leach's QB got sacked 44 times this year, Arkansas QBs were sacked 35 in 2017. Leach's offensive numbers obviously
were impressive, but again, my question is not whether or not Leach would make us relevant again, but  whether or not his QBs could hold up against stronger defenses.
His guy was sacked 44 times against arguably weaker competition, and this was considered a good year. Now give him one of the weakest rosters in the SEC (ours) and make
him go against stronger SEC defenses (Alabama, LSU, Auburn), what will it look like?

ke2743

I'd do somersaults for Leach, and my fat ass can't even do a cartwheel. 

DZ

jry04

TTU won 9 games 2 times in the previous 23 seasons before Leach, and only 1 in the previous 10 before Leach. Leach won 9+ 5 times in 10 seasons at TTU. TTU has yet to win 9 games in the 7 seasons after Leach.

Leach wins at terrible programs. Arkansas would be the best school he has coached at.

Oklahawg

I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Uncommon

Quote from: WPSALLDAY on December 04, 2017, 07:50:58 pm
He's interviewing his coaches is what someone said in another thread. When Lane gets his chance he will strike like the red sign indicating donuts are fresh and hot at Krispy Kreme
Hot donuts and Kiffin coaching my team.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

DMacsBat

I hope we get Leach. I'll finally get to that "Saturday Chores" list my wife made when we got married 25 years ago.
WOOD BROUGHT.

Oliver

At dumpsters called Texas Tech and Wash St.

It's be like winning 9 at Mizzou

DMacsBat

Quote from: Oliver on December 04, 2017, 08:02:13 pm
At dumpsters called Texas Tech and Wash St.

It's be like winning 9 at Mizzou

Brother, Mizzou has beat us two years running and last time we played tech we lost. Maybe we need to reclassify our standing? Our season: dumpster fire. Our coaching search: dumpster fire. Game attendance: dumpster fire.  Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...
WOOD BROUGHT.

redeye

Quote from: Doyle Hograves on December 04, 2017, 06:57:52 pm
Leach is much better than Chad Morris, Tim Horton, Skip Holtz...

FIFY

Quote from: TheEnemy on December 04, 2017, 06:58:20 pm
Fire Hunter Yurachek

Cool, I just won $50!  I'll get another $50 if he's fired before our new coach is hired.

WalHog2018

Quote from: DMacsBat on December 04, 2017, 08:07:37 pm
Brother, Mizzou has beat us two years running and last time we played tech we lost. Maybe we need to reclassify our standing? Our season: dumpster fire. Our coaching search: dumpster fire. Game attendance: dumpster fire.  Walks like a duck, talks like a duck...
At least we arent Texas!!! AM I RIGHT?!?!  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

DMacsBat

WOOD BROUGHT.

Pig in the Pokey

dude. they have the #13 total defense in the country. Nobody plays defense like 1985 anymore, baw.
@Slackaveli

JONAS

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 04, 2017, 08:16:46 pm
dude. they have the #13 total defense in the country. Nobody plays defense like 1985 anymore, baw.

I just remember those Texas Tech teams.

ChicoHog

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 04, 2017, 06:58:55 pm
Lane Kiffin....

Remain calm.

PRJ
I hope you're right Jimmy.  I can't bear the thought of Leach here with all his 2 star talent.  We will get destroyed in the SEC.  We need a recruiter like Kiffin or Venables!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on December 04, 2017, 08:16:46 pm
That's this year.  Look at his history.  And look at his rosters and see how many NFL guys he has had.  Very few. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: streitenberger on December 04, 2017, 07:52:08 pm
Yes, worse, if we're talking about sack totals. Leach's QB got sacked 44 times this year, Arkansas QBs were sacked 35 in 2017. Leach's offensive numbers obviously
were impressive, but again, my question is not whether or not Leach would make us relevant again, but  whether or not his QBs could hold up against stronger defenses.
His guy was sacked 44 times against arguably weaker competition, and this was considered a good year. Now give him one of the weakest rosters in the SEC (ours) and make
him go against stronger SEC defenses (Alabama, LSU, Auburn), what will it look like?
We'd get sacked 100 times probably.  His QBs get killed against poor defenses. 

Pig in the Pokey

@Slackaveli

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: ChicoHog on December 04, 2017, 08:20:01 pm
That's this year.  Look at his history.  And look at his rosters and see how many NFL guys he has had.  Very few.
no arguing that. the argument for him would be he's won with less, and here he'd have more than he's ever had. And having Grinch definitely raised his stock some. All Im saying is I know Leach has been looking at Arkansas as a spot to go for months so I looked deeper into the numbers on him. There's a lot to like to go with those few red flags.
@Slackaveli

MC_Hog

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2017, 07:32:14 pm

I think Leach or Kiffin are the perfect fit. If you can win at Washington St you can win at Arkansas.  We don't need to be chasing coaches that need to talent to win.

ShaneHog

gawntrail

Quote from: porkrindjimmy on December 04, 2017, 06:58:55 pm
Lane Kiffin....

Remain calm.

PRJ

Brother.  I am sold.  I am waiting on LK.  It will be epic.  They ought to fly him in to Ft. Smith and put him on that train and he can do the presser right there on Dixon. 

mao

Leach is meant to be. The 2017 Burlsworth Award winner is from Washington State.

hobhog

Dwight_K_Shrute

The only downside of Leach is his age. How much drive does he actually have.  If you want to scream defense, do some research.  His DC Grinch is thought of as one of the rising stars.

As I have argued against Morris, Morris is on the same trajectory as June Jones.  No worse no better.

Now let's look at Mike Leach's predecessors at Wazzu.

In the 6 years prior to Mike's arrival Wazzu was 24-60.  In Leach's 6 years at WSU they are 38-37.  He turned a team that had been 36 games under .500 into one that is one game over.

Is he the second coming of Nick Saban?  No, but he's a pretty good coach and has turned around 2 separate P5 programs, and had them when on a consistent basis.  At Tech he won almost twice as many games that he lost.  Oh yeah he checks that box about having Texas ties as well.

He's a different bird no doubt, but maybe it's time to go different instead of safe.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

HogFan1973

soooieman

Quote from: regi on December 04, 2017, 06:59:13 pm
Not happening,  until we are desperate.
Filed suit against two prior employers.  Currently Morris is occupying fall back plan.
2?? Who besides Tech? Also, that is a lame excuse. 100% of the population would sue if they didn't pay you for multiple years salary.  Was Washington State scared when they hired him? He obviously has done nothing but win and turn that program around. He's by FAR the most qualified out there. Oh, and they play defense too

soooieman

Quote from: HF#1 on December 04, 2017, 07:25:46 pm
Leach's career is on the downhill slide. No thanks.
Sarcasm right? He was one win from the division title and top 3 in wins over the past 2 years in the PAC 12.  Again, I hope you are being sarcastic

SNORTZENHOGGER

Bobby, Fools'ball is from the devil... Everything is the devil to you, Mama! Well, I like HOGVILLE, and I like football! And I'm gonna keep doin' them both because they make me feel good! And by the way, Mama. "HOGVILLE POSTERS" are ornery 'cause of their "Medula Oblongata"!

soooieman

People that do not watch WSU say that. It's old and tired. They were 13th nationally going in to the last game. Don't stereotype

moto625