Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Malzahn says

Started by Peter Porker, December 02, 2017, 07:00:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

dhornjr1

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2017, 07:04:38 pm
The question to him was "Will you be the coach at Auburn next year?"

His answer was, "I want to be."

That is telling. That is saying I want to be the coach but Auburn won't meet my demands so I have to leave.

That response told me he is absolutely wanting to leave.

I don't understand why people can't see this.

He was asked if he "will be" the coach twice. He said "I want to be".

Huge difference.

If you read between the lines, he's setting himself up to leave. Then, he can say, "Hey, I wanted to be at Auburn but Auburn didn't want me".

BentonvilleJeff

Saban was basically yelling at reporters all the way to the podium to announce he was Alabama's next coach that he was staying with the Dolphins.

Don't know if Gus is doing the same thing but coaches talk like that every year during press conferences when asked about their current job.

Martygit

Quote from: Imminent Rueage on December 02, 2017, 08:14:04 pm
I don't understand why people can't see this.

He was asked if he "will be" the coach twice. He said "I want to be".

Huge difference.

If you read between the lines, he's setting himself up to leave. Then, he can say, "Hey, I wanted to be at Auburn but Auburn didn't want me".

Wish I'd said that /s
RIP OTR, REV

BigDeal

Actually Norvell is the better choice than Malazahn.  I would be prepared to offer Norvell big money to come here much more than i would offer Malazahn !

DoctorSusscrofa

If he WANTS to be - let him! Let's not make him coach elsewhere.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Porked Tongue

Quote from: hoglady on December 02, 2017, 08:11:15 pm
Heck - we'd be building him a statute for doing that in 5 years here.
I just flushed a homemade statue of him.

tusksincolorado

Dear Gawd folks....Pray tell me WHY you want friggin' Guz "I'm Great" Malzahn when he wants to stay at Barner, and is only using Arkansas as a place to land his unwanted azz!

WHEN DID WE DECIDE TO SETTLE AS A LANDING PLACE FOR THE UNWANTED!!!

Go get MH or LK and make them feel like they are needed! and blow "high and mighty Malzahn off and let him stay at Auburn!

GET SOME PRIDE, HAWGS!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

rwspear

Quote from: tusksincolorado on December 02, 2017, 08:20:39 pm
Dear Gawd folks....Pray tell me WHY you want friggin' Guz "I'm Great" Malzahn when he wants to stay at Barner, and is only using Arkansas as a place to land his unwanted azz!

WHEN DID WE DECIDE TO SETTLE AS A LANDING PLACE FOR THE UNWANTED!!!

Go get MH or LK and make them feel like they are needed! and blow "high and mighty Malzahn off and let him stay at Auburn!

GET SOME PRIDE, HAWGS!

lol heaven forbid a man on national television use some tact

IronHog

I wanna be...

But mamma called
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

dhornjr1

Quote from: ResIpsaLoquitur on December 02, 2017, 08:15:04 pm
Wish I'd said that /s

It could be repeated ad nauseum on here and some still wouldn't get it. /RT

HawgPilot

Quote from: rwspear on December 02, 2017, 08:22:54 pm

yep!

Hogtimes

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2017, 07:04:38 pm
The question to him was "Will you be the coach at Auburn next year?"

His answer was, "I want to be."

That is telling. That is saying I want to be the coach but Auburn won't meet my demands so I have to leave.

That response told me he is absolutely wanting to leave.

He says he wants to  be  the coach at Auburn and you conclude that he absolutely wants to leave?.

Porked Tongue

He put himself in that position with his behind the scenes actions.

Just say "i'm not going to talk about that right now".  But no, he has to play it to max as though he owns the world.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Porked Tongue on December 02, 2017, 08:32:24 pm
He put himself in that position with his behind the scenes actions.

Just say "i'm not going to talk about that right now".  But no, he has to play it to max as though he owns the world.

This.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

tusksincolorado

Yeah ole' gus has gracious humble tact....my azz!

Rather have Kiffin Norvell....or even MORRIS!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jvanhorn

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 02, 2017, 07:14:12 pm
It is about $?  Thought he wanted to come home. Or was that when he thought he was going to be fired?

You thought he wanted to come home?  Well he was home at Arkansas State.  It is , and always has been, all about Gus.  He is a gun for hire to the highest bidder. Just like many baseball free agents.  It really is no more complicated than that.  He is committed to only one thing.  Gus. And if Arkansas wants to pay him a ridiculous sum so the can retire in a couple of years, well that is on Arkansas.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 02, 2017, 08:59:10 pm
You thought he wanted to come home?  Well he was home at Arkansas State.  It is , and always has been, all about Gus.  He is a gun for hire to the highest bidder. Just like many baseball free agents.  It really is no more complicated than that.  He is committed to only one thing.  Gus. And if Arkansas wants to pay him a ridiculous sum so the can retire in a couple of years, well that is on Arkansas.
You just described every coach in the business. Of course it is about money. Would we still go to work tomorrow if there was no paycheck to be had? Would we not take a raise if we could get it? Why would Gus be any different? This isn't benevolence. It is a job. Coaches don't coach for the love of the game. That is a Hollywood movie ideal. They coach because it pays.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

jvanhorn

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2017, 09:07:51 pm
You just described every coach in the business. Of course it is about money. Would we still go to work tomorrow if there was no paycheck to be had? Would we not take a raise if we could get it? Why would Gus be any different? This isn't benevolence. It is a job. Coaches don't coach for the love of the game. That is a Hollywood movie ideal. They coach because it pays.

And my guess is that Auburn, if they so choose, can outbid Arkansas all day long.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 02, 2017, 09:10:51 pm
And my guess is that Auburn, if they so choose, can outbid Arkansas all day long.
Probably could but doubtful they WOULD.

They were ready to FedEx Gus back to Arkansas earlier in the year.
"I already won the lottery. I was born in the US of A, baby. And as backup, I have a Swiss passport." — Creed Bratton

jvanhorn

I think that is true to a point, depending on the individual. Once you reach a point of money never being a problem for you, your children, your grandchildren or great grandchildren other things come into play.  Do you really think Bob Stoops didn't know what kind of team he had coming back with Mayfield as a senior? Do you really think any amount of money would ever pry Saban away from Alabama.  He and Bryant are going to live forever in Alabama lore.  He is not going to mess up his legend and dynasty for money he doesn't really need.

pigmania

Quote from: hogfansince79 on December 02, 2017, 07:12:24 pm
What are you talking about?  He said, "I want to be (the coach at Auburn next year)." 
The "I want to be" puts the ball in Auburn's court. Now we'll see how much they want him to be their coach.

Peter Porker

Quote from: Eddie Goodson on December 02, 2017, 09:13:57 pm
Probably could but doubtful they WOULD.

They were ready to FedEx Gus back to Arkansas earlier in the year.

Probably because of the 3 mediocre seasons prior to this one. Gus owes Stidham and Briles big time.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Eddie Goodson

Quote from: jvanhorn on December 02, 2017, 09:14:50 pm
I think that is true to a point, depending on the individual. Once you reach a point of money never being a problem for you, your children, your grandchildren or great grandchildren other things come into play.  Do you really think Bob Stoops didn't know what kind of team he had coming back with Mayfield as a senior? Do you really think any amount of money would ever pry Saban away from Alabama.  He and Bryant are going to live forever in Alabama lore.  He is not going to mess up his legend and dynasty for money he doesn't really need.
You do realize both times Saban was seriously courted to leave boosters assumed ALL his debts. Millions of dollars paid off. That is the real reason he did not go to Texas.

VBMark

Quote from: depressed_fan on December 02, 2017, 07:29:53 pm

WHAT ELSE IS HE SUPPOSED TO SAY? The man is not necessarily lying by saying he wants to be the coach at Auburn next year. IF We did not have an opening I'm sure that would be true. So on a scale of one to ten he might want to be the coach at Auburn a 5 and want to be the coach here a 10.  He can't sit up there and say, No I don't , I want to go else where. He can't say I don't know. That would be silly. He's still under contract to work there. He's still got a bowl game for this season in a few weeks to coach there, if he decides to stay. But, this is when most coaches bolt, leaving an interim to coach the bowl so lets see what happens. I'm betting he's announced as coach by Tuesday.

What are you betting?

Are you willing to give him until January 1sr?

Most importantly, why would you want a coach who says he wants to be somewhere else? How's that going to work out for you as a recruiter?

Again, what is your bet?
John L. Smith is so bad that he will laugh himself off the field

longpig

Quote from: hog911 on December 02, 2017, 07:09:15 pm
if that's the case forget him and he's done as an Arkansan! Enjoy Alabama and don't dare move back home!!!!!

You may be overreacting just a little.
Don't be scared, be smart.

hview

Contractually he still works for Auburn. I have no clue if Arkansas has actually offered him the job. If I was Gus and I had not been offered and accepted a job at Arkansas, that's the response I would have given. Until he's certain of the Arkansas job, I don't think he could have answered the question any other way.

depressed_fan

Quote from: VBMark on December 02, 2017, 09:25:30 pm
What are you betting?

Are you willing to give him until January 1sr?

Most importantly, why would you want a coach who says he wants to be somewhere else? How's that going to work out for you as a recruiter?

Again, what is your bet?

He don't need until January 1st.

He's not going to say "I want to be at Arkansas" or, "I don't know if I want to be here" B/c it's career suicide.  It's career suicide because he doesn't know for 100% If Arkansas is going to offer him after today.  He could have turned that into a farewell to Auburn speech, but then he would get slammed for possibly throwing the game.  Doesn't that look kind of suspicious? Then he's screwed. If he was committed to the staying there he could have responded, "yes, I'm going to be here as far as I know, unless I get fired" or, "They'll have to carry me out of here in a pine box"

He's dodged these questions perfectly for 3 weeks now. He wouldn't be dodging the question if he was committed to staying at Auburn.

SooieGeneris

Quote from: hoglady on December 02, 2017, 08:11:15 pm
Heck - we'd be building him a statute for doing that in 5 years here.

There are rumors of him hiring his buddy Hugh Freeze as OC. There are already statutes concerning Freeze in Mississippi lawbooks..

He is more concerned about statutes of limitations
KJ Jefferson, one of only 2 QBs in UA history to go 2-0 in Bowl Games..

Mac attack: McAdoo & McGlothern co-winners of the Thorpe Award 2023?

jvanhorn

Quote from: BigDeal on December 02, 2017, 08:16:42 pm
Actually Norvell is the better choice than Malazahn.  I would be prepared to offer Norvell big money to come here much more than i would offer Malazahn !

Well if you are desperate enough even a old lady with lots of miles and tons of makeup looks pretty good.

jvanhorn

Quote from: longpig on December 02, 2017, 09:35:18 pm
You may be overreacting just a little.

Sounds right to me.

Iwastherein1969

Malzahn doesn't give a rat's behind about the state of Arkansas nor the UA. As far as I'm concerned in a year or three when he can't find another QB and his O line sucks and the D-line plays like the usual Auburn D-line and the fickle fans of AU want him fired, I don't give an ish if Norvell is 2-10, I don't want that AU paper hanging SOB with the keys to any facility to the UA. Well, unless he wants to clean the crapper in Norvell's office.
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Seebs

My wife asks: Do you love me?

I reply: I want to

man..not a yes

To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

urkillnmesmalls

Maybe there's a different angle...

"Will you be the HC at Auburn next year?" 

"I wanna be."  (But....since my bat crap crazy wife wants to move back to Arkansas, I guess we'll be saddling up for the Ozarks here in the next few days)   ;D 

I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

Al Boarland

Gus has already agreed to stay at AU. No need for them to rush to announce it now, but you would assume they will over the next 48 hrs or so.

Theolesnort

That is a bad guess a very bad guess. We in Ark just assume we are inferior to just about anyone else because we have been told what a bunch of hillbilly's we are from the day of our birth. Money wise the situation up there is much better than at most perceived places.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

Hoggie17

"I want to be the head coach at Auburn," he said

You will be?

"I want to be.

What the dialogue between Gus and a reporter meant to me:

He was talking to Auburn decision makers.  He said I want to stay at Auburn, but I have an offer from Arkansas and I will take it if Auburn does not  offer as much or more that what Arkansas has offered. At that point in time Gus had not decided.

If he decides to stay at Auburn that's fine with me if we can get Novella Leach or Kiffin. The only coach that I don't want is Morris.

SemperFi

If he doesn't want to be at Arkansas then why do we want him? I think it's ignoarant to get into a bidding war for a guy that shows a lack of loyalty to his current team. Of course, this is assuming that your statement is correct, otherwise the way that I took it is that he wants to remain at Auburn and that Arkansas is nothing but a play to get a raise.
Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

SemperHawg

I'm starting to wonder if Gus wasn't using us a leverage to get a raise like most here assumed, and Aubbie called his bluff.  They are just crazy enough to let him walk.  Either way this was still the right call, with everything that has gone on over the years with Gus we had to put the ball in his court and make him tell us no in front of everyone.

rljjr

Quote from: SemperFi on December 03, 2017, 07:25:50 am
If he doesn't want to be at Arkansas then why do we want him? I think it's ignoarant to get into a bidding war for a guy that shows a lack of loyalty to his current team. Of course, this is assuming that your statement is correct, otherwise the way that I took it is that he wants to remain at Auburn and that Arkansas is nothing but a play to get a raise.

Thank you, Marine. It's simple. Stop the Gus worship. If he wanted to be here he would be. Damn. I'm so sick of the blind Gus love. It's not like he's the only coach in the world who can win in Fayetteville. Stop the big money booster's from hijacking our program and running it into the ground. If he comes, great. But he's playing us and angling for the Jimbo Fisher payday when he isn't worth it!! Burns my butt up, and I think ole Gus has already burned too many bridges this time with the average fan because believe it or not, Arkansans aren't stupid -- we know when we're getting played.

Go get Kiffin or Norvell. However, I'm sure that our power brokers are completely blinded and will stay blinded until we end up with some guy who is 14-22 in a non-power 5 league. Disgusted with my alma mater. Disgusted.

Hoggie17

Quote from: SemperHawg on December 03, 2017, 07:32:38 am
I'm starting to wonder if Gus wasn't using us a leverage to get a raise like most here assumed, and Aubbie called his bluff.  They are just crazy enough to let him walk.  Either way this was still the right call, with everything that has gone on over the years with Gus we had to put the ball in his court and make him tell us no in front of everyone.
That's what I got from what he said.

Jonbo

Is there even such a thing as a coach who's loyal to his current team?

rhames

Maybe he wants to be here. Maybe he doesn't

But this is coach speech. He is going to want to be the coach at auburn all the way up to when he isn't.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: rljjr on December 03, 2017, 07:33:09 am
Thank you, Marine. It's simple. Stop the Gus worship. If he wanted to be here he would be. Damn. I'm so sick of the blind Gus love. It's not like he's the only coach in the world who can win in Fayetteville. Stop the big money booster's from hijacking our program and running it into the ground. If he comes, great. But he's playing us and angling for the Jimbo Fisher payday when he isn't worth it!! Burns my butt up, and I think ole Gus has already burned too many bridges this time with the average fan because believe it or not, Arkansans aren't stupid -- we know when we're getting played.

Go get Kiffin or Norvell. However, I'm sure that our power brokers are completely blinded and will stay blinded until we end up with some guy who is 14-22 in a non-power 5 league. Disgusted with my alma mater. Disgusted.
I have mixed feelings on Gus but he has more upside than most of the names being floated for head coach.

Sidenote: You probably already know this but Jimbo Fisher is not worth that new contract. He hasn't recruited since 2014, choosing instead to rest on his laurels after winning the NC. The proof is in their 6-6 record this year. It won't get any easier at A&M where there are more P5 programs in Texas (5) competing for talent than he faced while in Florida (3).

Tony Perkis

Quote from: Jonbo on December 03, 2017, 07:35:31 am
Is there even such a thing as a coach who's loyal to his current team?
No. And people pretending to not want him now because of his statement are ridiculous. You think he was going to say "I'm a Hog!" in that presser?

fullfan

Are you advocating go after unemployed coaches only?  How else do you go after a currently employed coach but to make an offer that is better than their current situation?   Any highly sought after coach is going to get a counter offer and may opt for it.  Doesn't mean our offer did not get emotional and thoughtful consideration.

jgcat4

I'm so sick of hearing this crap. If Arkansas is Gus' "dream job" then the answer should have been, "I've really loved being at Auburn, and I've made a ton of memories here. However Arkansas is my home and that's where I want to be, so that's where I'm going."

He doesn't want to be here. He wants to be where he can win a natty and get paid. All the huggers got played by their prodigal son Gus. Why can't you accept that this is t his dream job, it's just this year's leverage.
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

Paul

hopefully it'll be over soon:  either he comes here or we never ever have to hear about him "coming home" again.

rhames

Quote from: jgcat4 on December 03, 2017, 07:58:05 am
I'm so sick of hearing this crap. If Arkansas is Gus' "dream job" then the answer should have been, "I've really loved being at Auburn, and I've made a ton of memories here. However Arkansas is my home and that's where I want to be, so that's where I'm going."

He doesn't want to be here. He wants to be where he can win a natty and get paid. All the huggers got played by their prodigal son Gus. Why can't you accept that this is t his dream job, it's just this year's leverage.

No coach in the history of coaching has ever said that

You could tell Scott Frost was upset that it leaked out he was leaving before he even finished his game yesterday. A lot of these guys want to tell their players in private.

I'm not arguing one way or another if he wants to be here. I don't know the man. However to take anything he said last night as anything definite either way probably isn't a wise move.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.