Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Jimbo Fisher make Aggies harder for us to beat?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 01, 2017, 10:48:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogindasticks

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 01, 2017, 10:56:07 am
I don't know that it will be that much harder under Fisher than Sumlin. Sumlin is a better coach than they think.

Agree

BroyledNutts

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 01:38:53 pm
I heard they offered him $7.5 million. That would be less than Sabans $11.1 million.

Ironic ... 7.5mil is the number rumored Gus wants to stay at Auburn ...

redleg

Fisher took over a program in 2010 that had excellent recruits on campus that had been signed by legendary FSU coach Bobby Bowden. Fisher just maintained what Bowden had handed him, won the 2013 National Championship with a mixture of his young signees and Bowdens older signees, and then promptly coached his team into a slide once those players were gone. What makes any of you believe that he will do better at A&M? I strongly feel that the Aggies have stepped into a camouflaged dog turd that looks and smells like roses.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

razorcash2

EastArkHog 47

The reason we haven't beat A&M the past six years is because we play like the Aggies and the Aggies play like the Razorbacks should, A&M was just better in 2012-13 the next four years we should have beat them.

code red

Quote from: TrueBlue on December 01, 2017, 10:55:49 am
Some people thought Arkansas getting Bielema was a coup because of the Big10 championships and Rose Bowls.

We know how that turned out.

I don't think Fisher is worth it.
Plus his buyout is astronomical.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

RebHog

Ehh this one is tough I think Sumlin is a better coach than given credit for. Jimbo's record at FSU has been posted so I wont repeat but he did follow Bowden's 8-5,7-6,7-6,9-4,7-6 streak. Bowden wasn't setting the world on fire those last few years. I think A&M overpaid for Fisher but is there anyone out there better than Fisher to hire? Just like QB's in the NFL high demand low supply equates to overpaid.

davglo35

Quote from: The real Hogules on December 01, 2017, 11:05:35 am
And I believe that Sumlin would be a better recruiter and appeal to recruits more than some middle age, pastie  old white dude.
I would rather Fisher be there and tied to the Aggies for a loooong time, than Sumlin be the A&M head coach..
There wouldn't be any college football or nfl or nba or America if it wasn't for pastie old white dudes!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: davglo35 on December 01, 2017, 02:34:30 pm
There wouldn't be any college football or nfl or nba or America if it wasn't for pastie old white dudes!

Pastie old white dudes are the best.

jesterzzn

I'm not sure Jimbo is a better coach than Sumlin, but he's definitely a bigger name and more expensive. 

So pay roughly double to a guy that may or may not be a coaching upgrade?  Sounds like Aggies being Aggies.

98hogs

hawaiianhogster

It will be fun beating them all the time if we get Gus. Otherwise we will be lucky to win for about 3 years until the new coach can get his players here.

We need to be careful what we say about any other team.  WE had John L. at 750K per year and fired him and got a coach who turned out to be a larger version of John L. for 4.5 times that amount.  Maybe we shouldn't be calling anyone stupid or AGgie like without looking inward.

Sumlin recruited well, often coached well but couldn't seem to keep his charges in line.  Sumlin had more great QBs transfer from him than many teams see in 15 to 20 years.  You got to hand it to him, we had him down several times and he just out coached Bret and won every time. 

Jimbo will continue kicking our butts unless we hire well.  Jimbo will find it more difficult to play for championships in the SECW.  Doubt he can do it.

jesterzzn

Quote from: 12247 on December 01, 2017, 05:35:40 pm
We need to be careful what we say about any other team.  WE had John L. at 750K per year and fired him and got a coach who turned out to be a larger version of John L. for 4.5 times that amount. 

Stop.  Just stop.

hamARchy in the USA

Fisher looks tired.  He's been to the top of the mountain.  Now he's going to take the Aggies money.

247Hog

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on December 01, 2017, 05:41:45 pm
Fisher looks tired.  He's been to the top of the mountain.  Now he's going to take the Aggies money.

Yup. He's a [CENSORED] and other Florida schools are on the rise with better coaches. Time to cash in the next few years at A&M and call it done.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

NuttinItUp

Quote from: 247Hog on December 01, 2017, 05:47:25 pm
Yup. He's a [CENSORED] and other Florida schools are on the rise with better coaches. Time to cash in the next few years at A&M and call it done.

To be honest, I thought he was older, but I looked it up and he is only 52. He might have a few more good years left at College Station.

johnny cash

Some people thought Arkansas getting Bielema was a coup because of the Big10 championships and Rose Bowls.

fisher is a HR hire to Aggies . Sumlin kicked our ass. Now what?

johnny cash

so u wouldn't take him at Arkansas?

NuttinItUp

What does this thread have to do with the head coaching search for the U of A?

Why would the thread get moved here?

Sometimes I am just confused by the mod decisions here...

GoHogs1091

The last time Malzahn faced Fisher (I believe the only time he has faced Fisher), he lost to Fisher.

Malzahn here at Arkansas might do well against Ole Miss and Mississippi State, but it might be tough sledding for Malzahn as Hogs HC against the rest of the SEC.

It should be kept in mind that Malzahn got out-coached by Ed Orgeron this season.

PigInTheHole

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 10:53:28 am
They didn't really steal him from the Miami Dolphins though, did they? I think he was leaving anyway.

remind you of anyone?
12/02/2017 Malzahn "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn."

Youngsta71701

Does Jimbo Fisher make Aggies harder for us to beat? Nope, he makes them easier for us to beat.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 01, 2017, 10:56:07 am
I don't know that it will be that much harder under Fisher than Sumlin. Sumlin is a better coach than they think.
+1, it was Sumlin's offensive scheme that gave us fits.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: oldman1015 on December 01, 2017, 11:03:13 am
At this point we don't need to be concerned with who is coaching the Aggies.
Us fans can be concerned with whoever and whatever we want to be. The University however...

Youngsta71701

Quote from: Hogarusa on December 01, 2017, 11:46:11 am
It will continue to be a huge challenge. People that question Jimbo's ability to win and recruit are ignoring facts
He can recruit but he should have won 10 games this year with all the 4 and 5 stars they have. They should have a backup QB just as good as the starter. Don't you think?

Youngsta71701

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 01, 2017, 12:48:50 pm
He is overrated, but he is better than Sumlin anyday.  Sumlin is so much like Bielema in terms of roster and program mismanagement it's not even funny.
How does Jimbo not win 10 games every year with all that talent he gets in Florida? Exactly, overrated.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: AP85 on December 01, 2017, 01:37:54 pm
It just goes to show. Big name coaches obviously do not see Arkansas is a hot, destination job.
That's because Arkansas is not going to pay 7.5 million dollars a year for a freaking football coach. 5 mill maybe but 7.5 mill, hell no. But then again, who knows. Times are changing.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 01:38:53 pm
I heard they offered him $7.5 million. That would be less than Sabans $11.1 million.
I think his base salary is more than Saban's not his total salary.

Youngsta71701

Fisher is a mercenary and he just cashed out. Hit the Jack Pot.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 07:15:53 pm
What does this thread have to do with the head coaching search for the U of A?

Why would the thread get moved here?

Sometimes I am just confused by the mod decisions here...
I'm with you on this one. Doesn't make any sense. Was Fisher rumored to come to Arkansas... ???

RideTillIDieHawg

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:14:05 am
I've had one boss from FSU. Great guy. Older generation. I've had another that was big fans of theirs. Younger generation. Not a great guy. Might explain how things have changed down there. It's the proverbial we are entitled and have no patience by some youngsters now a days.

"Back in my day"

jgcat4

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 12:39:55 pm
This.  Jimbo is the most over rated coach in NCAA football in my opinion.

100% agree with this statement. Not impressed. Bowden built a dynasty, handed it to him, recruiting grounds are fertile and he has no backup qb this year. I don't see this going well for A&M
Coaching Search Season-It's the most wonderful time of the year...

HoggyCat

I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

King Kong

Harder for us to beat? Yes. But I still think Jimbo won't have the same success he has at FSU overall

HoggyCat

Quote from: redleg on December 01, 2017, 02:00:53 pm
Fisher took over a program in 2010 that had excellent recruits on campus that had been signed by legendary FSU coach Bobby Bowden. Fisher just maintained what Bowden had handed him, won the 2013 National Championship with a mixture of his young signees and Bowdens older signees, and then promptly coached his team into a slide once those players were gone. What makes any of you believe that he will do better at A&M? I strongly feel that the Aggies have stepped into a camouflaged dog turd that looks and smells like roses.

Which is exactly why Norvell needs more time at Memphis.
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

rljjr

Quote from: johnny cash on December 01, 2017, 06:51:29 pm
so u wouldn't take him at Arkansas?

Actually, and honestly, I think he's a jerk and it's hard to listen to him speak. He's going to drag the Aggies into a fecal tsunami and will be considered the worst hire in college football history. He'll be the Ishtar of coaching hires.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rljjr on December 02, 2017, 06:55:30 am
Actually, and honestly, I think he's a jerk and it's hard to listen to him speak. He's going to drag the Aggies into a fecal tsunami and will be considered the worst hire in college football history. He'll be the Ishtar of coaching hires.

I thought my distaste for Jimbo was pretty high...little did I know that you surpassed my distaste with a fecal tsunami!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

EastexHawg

Fisher is a better coach than Sumlin and will recruit to A&M like nobody's business.  Unless we fight fire with fire by hiring a great coach we may as well throw in the towel and resign ourselves to another 5-10 years of sucking.

ishankem

Keep lying to yourselves. Unless we get Malzahn, I predict we never beat Aggies again as long as Fisher is there

HotlantaHog

Since A&M was impossible to beat the last five years, I don't think it is possible to be harder to beat, to answer the OP question.

isavedjazz

I think he has a really high bust potential. They want SEC championships, but I'm not positive he'll deliver. We'll see
Okay, I'll admit I was a bit curt. But requesting "I Ran" from a serious musician, it's just, it's too far.

Ex-Trumpet

I wonder if aTm sweetened Jimbo's deal with a personal trainer for his significant other?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 02, 2017, 12:32:57 pm
I wonder if aTm sweetened Jimbo's deal with a personal trainer for his significant other?

That and/or a local tennis instructor.

Hawghiggs

Not really worried about Jimbo. Think we have a better chance with him as coach than we did with Sumlin.

Snouty

Quote from: AP85 on December 01, 2017, 01:37:54 pm
It just goes to show. Big name coaches obviously do not see Arkansas is a hot, destination job.

Your smites may outnumber your applauds by 10-1, but you're absolutely right that big time coaches do not see Arkansas as a hot, destination job.

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: Hawghiggs on December 04, 2017, 05:48:34 am
Not really worried about Jimbo. Think we have a better chance with him as coach than we did with Sumlin.

Agree he won't improve their recruiting over what Sumlin has done. I don't know why a 5 win coach at FSU is the savior..Just wait and see.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: rljjr on December 02, 2017, 06:55:30 am

Don't hold back; Tell us how you really feel.

Fecal tsunami, eh? That is....umm....colorful language.

HognitiveDissonance

I don't think Fisher does much different than Sumlin, to be honest.
Sumlin was a good coach. Fisher is good, too, but he's never struck me as being on a Saban level, so methinks A&M way overpaid for this one.
When A&M wrote a $1.5mm contract to poach John Chavis as D-coord from LSU, did they suddenly become a lockdown defense? No. 
A&M just has tons of money to throw around, so that's what they do. It's not intelligent spending, it's just spending.

I wish we had gotten Gus, but there are pros and cons to everything. The 'pro' to not getting him is we're not paying $7mm for a football coach. That's ridiculous.
Someone else said, and I agree, if there was pressure at Auburn on Gus before, wait until next year when he's now making $7mm per year. More money = more pressure.
It's a temporary win for Gus, but probably a long-term defeat.

Let's hire someone for about $3.5mm per year and if he's good, we'll have a bargain. The fact is, there's probably only two guys out there worth $7mm, maybe Saban and Meyer.