Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Jimbo Fisher make Aggies harder for us to beat?

Started by NuttinItUp, December 01, 2017, 10:48:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

December 01, 2017, 10:48:16 am Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:04:07 pm by NuttinItUp
Jimbo to A&M: http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21631488/jimbo-fisher-leaving-florida-state-accept-coaching-job-texas-am

Does Jimbo Fisher at A&M make them harder or easier to beat for us?

I just want to break the losing streak (6 years and counting!) at some point...

Edit: Also, the way they use the phrase "coup" as in "Landing Jimbo Fisher would be biggest coup in modern history" (link) really shows the level of arrogance and narcissism by the Ags.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 10:48:16 am

Edit: Also, the way they use the phrase "coup" as in "Landing Jimbo Fisher would be biggest coup in modern history" (link) really shows the level of arrogance and narcissism by the Ags.

The biggest coach hiring coup in recent history was Saban to Bama.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 10:50:42 am

They didn't really steal him from the Miami Dolphins though, did they? I think he was leaving anyway.

Hog Fan...DOH!

I don't know.  Let's get a coach in here who doesn't blow 4th quarter leads at a truly alarming and historic rate to find out.

TrueBlue

Some people thought Arkansas getting Bielema was a coup because of the Big10 championships and Rose Bowls.

We know how that turned out.

I don't think Fisher is worth it.

Calling All Hogs

I don't know that it will be that much harder under Fisher than Sumlin. Sumlin is a better coach than they think. 

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on December 01, 2017, 10:54:24 am
I don't know.  Let's get a coach in here who doesn't blow 4th quarter leads at a truly alarming and historic rate to find out.

I guess Gus does have a little history with Jimbo that he might want to correct.  (extra motivation?)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2014_BCS_National_Championship_Game

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 10:53:28 am
They didn't really steal him from the Miami Dolphins though, did they? I think he was leaving anyway.

He left because he chose wrong when he took Culpepper over Breeze.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 10:53:28 am

AND it appears Jimbo was also or he wouldn't leave. Especially IF he had another year like this one. Same for Saban at Miami. Most coaches know when to start looking for something else.........unless their name is Bret.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 01, 2017, 11:01:38 am

So, not much of a coup is what you are saying?

oldman1015

At this point we don't need to be concerned with who is coaching the Aggies.
Arkansas, the left lane state.

Hoggish1

We win if Fisher brings his staff with him, especially his DC and O-line coach.  He'll never get the athletes he got at FSU.  FSU wins big time if he leaves! Despite what people may think about the U being back, they can't compete with FSU for the best talent, even in their own back yard like they once were able to.

The real Hogules

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 01, 2017, 10:56:07 am
I don't know that it will be that much harder under Fisher than Sumlin. Sumlin is a better coach than they think. 

And I believe that Sumlin would be a better recruiter and appeal to recruits more than some middle age, pastie  old white dude.
I would rather Fisher be there and tied to the Aggies for a loooong time, than Sumlin be the A&M head coach..
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:02:45 am
AND it appears Jimbo was also or he wouldn't leave. Especially IF he had another year like this one. Same for Saban at Miami. Most coaches know when to start looking for something else.........unless their name is Bret.

You are likely correct, but looking back at his record at FSU, they would have been fools to get rid of him...

I think most Arkansas fans would give their right arm for that record.

SooieGeneris

Wrong! He took Culpepper only AFTER the Dolphin front office turned their nose up at Brees.

The team Doctor claimed Brees's shoulder, which had been injured in SD, would never allow him to play at the same level again.

Meanwhile, Drew Brees continues to excel years later and can tell the Dolphin idiots, which did not include Saban, to kiss his SB ring!

The failure to deliver a franchise QB as promised is why Saban left. Ticked him off royally that he was overruled on signing Brees only to see him excel in N.O.

So he stuck it to the Fish.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 01, 2017, 11:05:09 am
He'll never get the athletes he got at FSU.

You are saying Florida recruiting > Texas recruiting ?

SooieGeneris

Jimbo Fisher is overrated IMO. Good coach but Petrino ran him off the field last year with FSU having more overall talent.

The 2nd edition of BP at Louisville has slipped, not the coach he was the first time or here.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 11:08:33 am
You are likely correct, but looking back at his record at FSU, they would have been fools to get rid of him...

I think most Arkansas fans would give their right arm for that record.

I've had one boss from FSU. Great guy. Older generation. I've had another that was big fans of theirs. Younger generation. Not a great guy. Might explain how things have changed down there. It's the proverbial we are entitled and have no patience by some youngsters now a days.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:14:05 am
I've had one boss from FSU. Great guy. Older generation. I've had another that was big fans of theirs. Younger generation. Not a great guy. Might explain how things have changed down there. It's the proverbial we are entitled and have no patience by some youngsters now a days.

I think you are on to something.

I've often though the worst thing a coach can do is have a "great" first year or two. It sets the expectations too high and then if they have a "good" or "normal" year, the fanbase gets mad.

Having 11 wins with Johnny his first year might have been what doomed Sumlin.

247Hog

Quote from: SooieGeneris on December 01, 2017, 11:13:13 am
Jimbo Fisher is overrated IMO. Good coach but Petrino ran him off the field last year with FSU having more overall talent.

The 2nd edition of BP at Louisville has slipped, not the coach he was the first time or here.

I've never been that impressed with Fisher. His record besides this year looks good but with Miami and UF being a crappy as they've been, Brett could have nearly won that many games. FSU looks like a team on the down swing in Florida, not up.

Definitely don't understand the paying Gazillion dollars for his buyout and salary.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

Tejano Jawg

I just want to see the Aggies fail at getting Fisher. And that has nothing to do with any fear of Fisher.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

outlawhogeywells

how could it be harder to beat them.  We have not won is 6 years

LumberBacks

With all of the rumors out there about Gus possibly leaving for Arkansas, unless Gus has secretly signed off on an extension, Aubbie has been considering what-ifs.  Who would they pursue?  Jimbo would be a perfect fit as he stays in his familiar recruiting grounds and would be a thumbs-up hire by the Barners.  Will be interesting to see if dominos fall by Sunday.  If Gus to Arkansas and Jimbo to Auburn, Aggy would be left scrambling, with Chad Morris floating to the top of their list.  Jimbo is overhyped, but he's got more mojo that Morris. 

Hogarusa

It will continue to be a huge challenge. People that question Jimbo's ability to win and recruit are ignoring facts
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

GoHogsGo

Saban wanted Breeze.  It wasn't  his choice.

sooie dog

I think he is somewhere between Chiz and Miles. Either way him being at A&M should benefit us.

Billy Bats

In my experience as you go through life you start to realize that you are really your own worst enemy.  Same with Arkansas athletics.  We're our biggest obstacle. 

gawntrail

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 10:50:42 am

Petrino to Arkansas

Bert to Arkansas

The days those two were announced nobody believed we could score their caliber of stroke.

Arkansas is a great job for any coach looking for the 'rush' of the challenge, yet has enough money to not have to be one of the highest paid. 

Sean Payton would be awesome.  He could recruit with his Super Bowl Ring and attract 4* & 5* QB and Receiver talent without any effort.  Filling a coaching staff could be done overnight.

JOKERHOG

BRINGING BALANCE AND PERSPECTIVE TO HOGVILLE

"You're too damn illiterate to have a college education.  And I'm serious"  - Hawgar the Horrible 1/19/2017

5 most hated: 1Auburn 2Auburn 3Auburn 4A&M 5OU

aloha_kid

Quote from: Calling All Hogs on December 01, 2017, 10:56:07 am

Exactly.   Sumlin did it and the QB didn't matter.  Jimbo needed a great QB to be as good as Sumlin.  We saw what Jimbo did when his QB went down.

Cotton

Gumbo will fit in perfect in College Station and the only way I will ever like him is if he finds a way to get us out of that yearly game in Jerry World.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Redhogs

Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

rljjr

No. Jimbo has done less with more at FSU for years.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rljjr on December 01, 2017, 12:36:29 pm
No. Jimbo has done less with more at FSU for years.

This.  Jimbo is the most over rated coach in NCAA football in my opinion.
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rljjr

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 12:39:55 pm

And a colossal jack-wagon. Don't forget to add that in there.

buldozer

Kevin Sumlin was a good coach and Jimbo is a good coach so ATM should be about the same as an opponent. The biggest coup in coach hires will be Gus, if we get him.

jgphillips3

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on December 01, 2017, 12:39:55 pm

He is overrated, but he is better than Sumlin anyday.  Sumlin is so much like Bielema in terms of roster and program mismanagement it's not even funny.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: jgphillips3 on December 01, 2017, 12:48:50 pm
He is overrated, but he is better than Sumlin anyday.  Sumlin is so much like Bielema in terms of roster and program mismanagement it's not even funny.

Maybe so but I don't think Sumlin is rated as high as Jimbo to begin with!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

jkstock04

Yes
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Philip Seaton

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on December 01, 2017, 11:02:45 am

Fisher's started when caught his wife banging former Florida football Taylor Jacobs, who was her personal trainer.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LumberBacks on December 01, 2017, 11:43:54 am
Jimbo would be a perfect fit as he stays in his familiar recruiting grounds and would be a thumbs-up hire by the Barners.  Will be interesting to see if dominos fall by Sunday.  If Gus to Arkansas and Jimbo to Auburn

Jimbo is going to Texas A&M

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/21631488/jimbo-fisher-leaving-florida-state-accept-coaching-job-texas-am

Hence the reason I started this thread.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: Hoggish1 on December 01, 2017, 11:05:09 am
We win if Fisher brings his staff with him, especially his DC and O-line coach.  He'll never get the athletes he got at FSU.  FSU wins big time if he leaves! Despite what people may think about the U being back, they can't compete with FSU for the best talent, even in their own back yard like they once were able to.

You nailed it on all fronts.  Our defense and O-line have been abysmal since 2014.  From what I've heard, Graham and Craig are the only assistant names I've heard mentioned to go to Tamu with him.  Honestly, I wouldn't mind if Kelley stays, but as a position coach.  He is a pretty good LB/DB coach, but was just in over his head as a DC.  He's a great man and a great recruiter too.  After that, the only ones I'd like to see stay on staff are Haggins and Brewster, and maybe Sanders.  The rest can kick rocks.

For those saying Jimbo is overrated....you're right.  Without Jameis and a defense that had 11 guys drafted, he's been very average relative to the talent he brings in.  I can't see him having any kind of sustained success in the SEC-W, or really being noticeably better than Sumlin, unless he is able to bring in an elite QB that can run his offense.

As for Jimbo himself, I did always like the guy but this week has soured that, especially as more has come to light regarding his ego, micro-managing, etc.  He's Saban minus the results.

Anyway, I'm ready to see what Taggart can do, if that's who we hire.  He's a Florida guy who is an outstanding recruiter with a more exciting offense.  Just needs to get the other side of the ball in good shape.

Hopefully the Hogs will start their own winning streak against the Ags.

31to6

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 11:10:49 am
Yes. They have more speed than TX and they still play physical football and defense.

TX produces a ton of good players, but FL is the king. Most NFL players. Most P5. Most D1.

SemperHawg

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on December 01, 2017, 11:37:24 am
how could it be harder to beat them.  We have not won is 6 years
Yeah man, they have a half decade winning streak going on us right meow.  I dunno how much harder to beat they can get at this point. 

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 11:03:06 am

More like he saw he made a mistake and then he fell into their lap.  All was perfect timing.  Now, if you ask me if he picked the wrong QB so he could get out of there with an excused, uh, that would be serious conspiracy stuff right there...

hobhog

All I know is A$M has completely lost its mind. Paying him more than Saban?! And they will be stuck with him forever. Don't forget how thin skinned he is. This will be fun.

Hoggish1

Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 11:03:06 am

More like he saw he made a mistake and then he fell into their lap.  All was perfect timing.  Now, if you ask me if he picked the wrong QB so he could get out of there with an excused, uh, that would be serious conspiracy stuff right there...
Quote from: NuttinItUp on December 01, 2017, 11:10:49 am

Yep.

AirWarren

It just goes to show. Big name coaches obviously do not see Arkansas is a hot, destination job.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: hobhog on December 01, 2017, 01:25:55 pm
All I know is A$M has completely lost its mind. Paying him more than Saban?! And they will be stuck with him forever. Don't forget how thin skinned he is. This will be fun.

I heard they offered him $7.5 million. That would be less than Sabans $11.1 million.