Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Gus responds to far-fetched rumor about Arkansas coaching job

Started by jbcarol, November 22, 2017, 10:53:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Auburn's fifth-year coach was asked Wednesday during the SEC coaches teleconference about a very specific rumor linking him to the head coaching position in Arkansas, which is not yet open but could be after the Razorbacks' season finale against Missouri on Friday. The specific rumor Malzahn was asked about was that he would be in Fayetteville, Ark., by noon Wednesday to close a deal to become the next Arkansas coach.

QuoteMalzahn was quick to shoot down the far-fetched rumor he was taking another job that's not yet open a few days before one of the most high-stakes Iron Bowls ever.

"I'm sitting at my desk, behind my desk here at Auburn, getting ready for practice," Malzahn said.

It's the second time in the last five days that Malzahn has responded to rumors linking him to other jobs. After Auburn's win against ULM on Saturday, Malzahn was asked how he handles such rumors, saying that he ignores them "because one week you're getting fired and the next week you're going to take another job."
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
6m6 minutes ago

Gus Malzahn has indicated to Jay Jacobs that he's "perfectly happy" at Auburn and "wants to stay" on the Plains https://trib.al/zwpfEWU
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

jbcarol

Report: Arkansas has 2 coaching search groups, with 1 still targeting Auburn's Gus Malzahn

QuoteAccording to Scott Roussel of Football Scoop, the Razorbacks have "two separate [and potentially unconnected] searches" for a coach taking place, each of which appear to have different targets.

The first search group is being led by people who fund the university, according to Roussel. This group believes that Auburn coach Gus Malzahn is still in play, should the Tigers lose to Georgia in the SEC Championship Game this weekend. Memphis coach Mike Norvell is this group's backup plan.

The second search group is led by university employees, per Roussel. This group is targeting Clemson defensive coordinator Brent Venables and SMU coach Chad Morris.

jbcarol

James Crepea‏Verified account @JamesCrepea

Auburn released a brief response to report of Gus Malzahn's agents presenting president Leath with "substantial" terms for contract

QuoteAuburn coach Gus Malzahn remains Arkansas' "top target" to pursue to be the next head coach of the Razorbacks, according to multiple reports, while another report indicates his agents have presented Auburn with terms that will keep him on the Plains.

The Fort Smith, Ark. native and longtime Arkansas high school coach's name has been connected with the Razorbacks search even before it officially began with the firing of Bret Bielema last Friday.

On Thursday, the Arkansas Democrat-Gazette reported Malzahn is still the "top target" for the Razorbacks head coaching job, citing sources with knowledge of the search. Longtime Democrat-Gazette columnist Wally Hall, who has a longstanding relationship with Malzahn, also wrote a column asking for the coach to "come home."

Yahoo's Pete Thamel also reported Arkansas is "holding up their entire search just for the opportunity" to offer Malzahn the job, citing a source as saying the school is "ready to back up the Brinks truck" to hire him away from Auburn after Saturday's SEC Championship Game.

FootballScoop.com reported Malzahn's agents "presented a package to Auburn president Steven Leath" that is "substantial" and would keep him with the Tigers.

"Auburn is committed to coach Malzahn," a school spokesman said. "As a matter of practice, we don't talk publicly about contract negotiations."

Thamel noted Malzahn's contract, which pay him $4.725 million annually through 2020, hasn't been adjusted, aside from a one-year extension, since the eve of the 2013 SEC Championship Game. Four years ago while then at Sports Illustrated, Thamel reported Malzahn was interested in the then-open Texas head coaching position, which he described, per an unnamed source, as Malzahn's "dream job." The next night, Malzahn negotiated a new contract with Auburn athletic director Jay Jacobs, which was announced the day before Auburn won the SEC Championship.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

SEC Network's Cole Cubelic on Gus Malzahn's future: 'If they lose, I think he's gone'

Quote"I think if they lose, he's gone," Cubelic said on Friday during an appearance on Sports Talk with Bo Mattingly on Arkansas radio. "Because that's just an easy transition to say Sunday morning 'Hey, I'm going over to Arkansas. Things don't feel stable at Auburn even though we're having success on the field. ' I don't think he takes the hit to his reputation  that a lot of people believe, because he can say 'This is what I'm passionate about. This is my dream job where I've always wanted to be.' And there's a phrase that has become really popular since the coaching search began this offseason– restarting your clock."

jbcarol

Scarblog: Gus Malzahn wanted to talk about the future.

His future. At Auburn.

Quote"Obviously, we're hurting right now," he said in his opening remarks after Georgia exacted its revenge 28-7. "Even though it's tough right now, the future's very bright."

Still, with the Arkansas job yet to be filled and reason to believe the Hogs will come calling on their native son, the question had to be asked. Pat Forde of Yahoo Sports asked it first. Does Malzahn intend for his future to be at Auburn?

"Yeah, I'm happy here at Auburn," he said. "We've got great players. I love my players. Like I said before this game, we worked extremely hard to get here to this point. We've got a very good foundation built, and I think the best is yet to come."

I followed up. Should Arkansas not bother to ask him about its job?

"I'm the head coach at Auburn," Malzahn said. "I just said that I want to be the head coach at Auburn, yeah."

Will he be the head coach at Auburn next year?

"I want to be."

Translation: The ball's in Auburn's court.

After the game, Malzahn didn't sound or act like a man eager to start a new chapter in his life.

Malzahn and 10-3 Auburn will await Sunday's announcement of a New Year's Six bowl destination for the second straight season.

Then comes the matter of putting Malzahn's stated desire to stay on the Plains in writing.

The last question in his postgame press conference concerned the future of the SEC. Malzahn used it to offer a parting shot at the notion of him departing for Arkansas.

"It's the best league in college football," he said. "You're talking about Alabama, Georgia, and of course, I'd throw us in there. I think the future's very bright in our league, and like I said, I think our future's very bright.

"I believe we're going to be back. I wouldn't be surprised if we're back in this moment next year."

Back in the SEC Championship Game. Back with Auburn. If all goes according to plan.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

jbcarol

AL.com sports‏Verified account @aldotcomSports
2h2 hours ago

BREAKING: @CoachGusMalzahn signs extension at Auburn  https://trib.al/YRHQy9g

jbcarol