Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 OT decommits from aTm

Started by razorbacker3, July 14, 2015, 03:01:29 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorbacker3

Greg Little has decommitted from Texas A&M. Looks like he has eyes for Alabama since his bud (#1 DT) has bama in his sights also.  :puke:

AugustaHog

Bama makes sense to me for an elite OT, but I can't for the life of me understand why OM would be on the short list for an OT.  Sure Tunsil is going to go high in the draft, but what has this staff done to show that they develop and produce elite OL? 

Hoggish1

Quote from: AugustaHog on July 14, 2015, 03:09:58 pm
Bama makes sense to me for an elite OT, but I can't for the life of me understand why OM would be on the short list for an OT.  Sure Tunsil is going to go high in the draft, but what has this staff done to show that they develop and produce elite OL? 

That $taff, what have they done...?

PEtrader

$$$
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

longtimeHogfan

I've never understood the fascination with OM.  Time and time again you'll see a recruit's top 3-5.....Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State.........oh, and Ole Miss.     Duh.....
I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

PEtrader

Quote from: longtimeHogfan on July 14, 2015, 04:05:14 pm
I've never understood the fascination with OM.  Time and time again you'll see a recruit's top 3-5.....Alabama, Auburn, Florida, Ohio State.........oh, and Ole Miss.     Duh.....

It'$ real ea$y to understand
Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

fullfan

Hogs run wild

Back to back Cotton bowls man. not in Fity, count 'em Fity years!
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

ZERO

Quote from: Hogs run wild on July 14, 2015, 07:03:21 pm
Back to back Cotton bowls man. not in Fity, count 'em Fity years!

You know, speaking of the "First time in fiddy years", I just got curious as to the last time Ole Miss has ever had a Bowl loss quite as bad as last year. I thought it would be funny if I could go back 50 years.

The answer was never. They've never lost a Bowl by 39 points or more until they played TCU. The game against TCU was the worst post-season defeat in Ole Miss history. The closest loss was 3-35 to Michigan in the 1990 season. If anyone is wondering, Arkansas has had a few Bowl throttlings, but never one that bad.

So, Hugh Freeze made Ole Miss history a few months ago.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

Hog N Bama

Quote from: ZERO on July 14, 2015, 07:46:43 pm
You know, speaking of the "First time in fiddy years", I just got curious as to the last time Ole Miss has ever had a Bowl loss quite as bad as last year. I thought it would be funny if I could go back 50 years.

The answer was never. They've never lost a Bowl by 39 points or more until they played TCU. The game against TCU was the worst post-season defeat in Ole Miss history. The closest loss was 3-35 to Michigan in the 1990 season. If anyone is wondering, Arkansas has had a few Bowl throttlings, but never one that bad.

So, Hugh Freeze made Ole Miss history a few months ago.
I saw that game. Ole Miss was HORRIBLE! I remember thinking... geeze these people really think Freeze is the future???

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: fullfan on July 14, 2015, 06:54:43 pm
It's a bu$ine$$ decision. 

I don't $ee what y'all are trying to $ay? $hould we be worried about Ole Mi$$? AND why can't I think of any more e$$ words..?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

oldbear

A couple of years ago, I got to know a guy pretty well that helped to spot recruits for Ole Mi$$  it was very interesting getting to know him. It did make me understand a little more about their recruiting. Haha.

Sivad

Rzbakfromwaybak

Probably that....."Fiddy thou$and $igning bonu$"....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

jry04

Quote from: razorbacker3 on July 14, 2015, 03:01:29 pm
Greg Little has decommitted from Texas A&M. Looks like he has eyes for Alabama since his bud (#1 DT) has bama in his sights also.  :puke:
I personally would much rather Alabama load up on talent than TAMU. Alabama is going to be good every year regardless. If they don't get this OT, they will get a different one that will still be a NFL prospect. Better to have them stockpiled on Bama's bench, then allowing another SEC team to get him. A&M is good for the SEC and our recruiting, and even better for us when we beat them.

ldfergu

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 08:24:33 am
I personally would much rather Alabama load up on talent than TAMU. Alabama is going to be good every year regardless. If they don't get this OT, they will get a different one that will still be a NFL prospect. Better to have them stockpiled on Bama's bench, then allowing another SEC team to get him. A&M is good for the SEC and our recruiting, and even better for us when we beat them.

I never understood the logic of how TAM is good for Arkansas recruiting. That's just simply not true

JackJohnson

Matt Luke is going on is 4th year as the OM OL coach.  Before that he was the OL coach at Duke for 4 years.  When Tunsil gets drafted, that will be the FIRST OL that he has coached to be drafted into the NFL after 8 full seasons as an OL coach.

yea, if I am a big time OL recruit I would be definitely be beating down his door  :puke:

jry04

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 16, 2015, 08:47:47 am
I never understood the logic of how TAM is good for Arkansas recruiting. That's just simply not true
Bielema himself said it. Before TAMU joined the SEC, kids in Texas were not guaranteed to be able to play in their home state, or even necessarily be on TV in Texas. Since A&M is in the SEC West, we play a game in Texas every single year. We are also seen on the SEC Network which is offered by most cable providers in Texas since Texas is also a SEC market now. You can disagree all you want, but the state of Texas produces enough D1 athletes for the Texas schools to get theirs, and us get ours too. Playing a game in Texas and being on television in Texas every week helps us compete for the recruits that much more. I will believe the coaches who have seen how it impacts us first hand.

onebadrubi

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on July 16, 2015, 08:47:47 am

It's not, so anyone that has said that is just wrong. 

MiHogsMi

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 10:24:31 am
Bielema himself said it. Before TAMU joined the SEC, kids in Texas were not guaranteed to be able to play in their home state, or even necessarily be on TV in Texas. Since A&M is in the SEC West, we play a game in Texas every single year. We are also seen on the SEC Network which is offered by most cable providers in Texas since Texas is also a SEC market now. You can disagree all you want, but the state of Texas produces enough D1 athletes for the Texas schools to get theirs, and us get ours too. Playing a game in Texas and being on television in Texas every week helps us compete for the recruits that much more. I will believe the coaches who have seen how it impacts us first hand.

We were playing aTm in Cowboy Stadium, seen on TV in Texas blah, blah, blah before they joined the SEC.

The truth of the matter is that joining the SEC was good for aTm recruiting because now the best Texas recruits can stay in -state and play in the best conference in the USA...The SEC.

If anything CBB is just being smart by spinning the conversation in order to create the mindset to an even greater population of recruits to look beyond Texas as a destination. He's just playing the hand he's dealt to his greatest chance to impact the thinking of Texas recruits.

Yes the state of Texas produces enough, blah, blah, blah...but if we and aTm are after the same exact recruit.....we lost our selling advantage of being in the SEC when aTm joined the SEC now able to sell the SEC and staying in Texas. 
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

jry04

Quote from: MiHogsMi on July 16, 2015, 10:52:41 am
We were playing aTm in Cowboy Stadium, seen on TV in Texas blah, blah, blah before they joined the SEC.

The truth of the matter is that joining the SEC was good for aTm recruiting because now the best Texas recruits can stay in -state and play in the best conference in the USA...The SEC.

If anything CBB is just being smart by spinning the conversation in order to create the mindset to an even greater population of recruits to look beyond Texas as a destination. He's just playing the hand he's dealt to his greatest chance to impact the thinking of Texas recruits.

Yes the state of Texas produces enough, blah, blah, blah...but if we and aTm are after the same exact recruit.....we lost our selling advantage of being in the SEC when aTm joined the SEC now able to sell the SEC and staying in Texas. 
You think playing A&M in Cowboys stadium was going to last forever if they didn't join the SEC? You think the SEC Network would be offered by cable providers in Texas if A&M didn't join the SEC? You think A&M is the only team we compete for recruits in the SEC? They can only sign so many each year. Again, I will agree with the coaches who do this for a living, and the recruiting analysts who get paid to evaluate stuff like this over anyone else. We can agree to disagree, but it seems pretty obvious the benefits of A&M being in the SEC for us far outweigh the negatives.

Go ahead and post more sarcastic "blah blah blah" posts. Nothing new from people on Hogville.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 10:58:56 am
You think playing A&M in Cowboys stadium was going to last forever if they didn't join the SEC? You think the SEC Network would be offered by cable providers in Texas if A&M didn't join the SEC? You think A&M is the only team we compete for recruits in the SEC? They can only sign so many each year. Again, I will agree with the coaches who do this for a living, and the recruiting analysts who get paid to evaluate stuff like this over anyone else. We can agree to disagree, but it seems pretty obvious the benefits of A&M being in the SEC for us far outweigh the negatives.

I think Jerry Jones would have had us at Cowboy stadium for years and years, televised and playing opponents to showcase the Razorbacks.

I believe I already shared my opinion that CBB is playing the hand he's dealt by putting as much positive spin on it to catch a few Texas recruits....in fact CBB's spin is so effective, he has you believing it!!

Please explain the "obvious benefits" to Arkansas recruiting when aTm can tell the same recruit we are after that they can stay at home and play in the SEC.... Tell me how THAT favors Arkansas recruiting.  I'll hang up and listen
I don't view The University of Arkansas Football Program as Mr. CBB's personal Petri dish to experiment and tinker with for HIS pleasure and learning curve.

jry04

Quote from: MiHogsMi on July 16, 2015, 11:11:39 am
I think Jerry Jones would have had us at Cowboy stadium for years and years, televised and playing opponents to showcase the Razorbacks.

I believe I already shared my opinion that CBB is playing the hand he's dealt by putting as much positive spin on it to catch a few Texas recruits....in fact CBB's spin is so effective, he has you believing it!!

Please explain the "obvious benefits" to Arkansas recruiting when aTm can tell the same recruit we are after that they can stay at home and play in the SEC.... Tell me how THAT favors Arkansas recruiting.  I'll hang up and listen

I believed it before Bielema said it. I worked in the athletic department, and was able to experience first hand why some players from Texas chose the Hogs. Their family being able to see them play both in person on television was a common theme among them all. Deciding factor? No, but it plays a role in their decision.

The fact that you think A&M is the only team we are recruiting against blows my mind. Do me a favor, go to Rivals/247/Scout etc. Look up the state of Texas. See how many D1 athletes the state produces each year. Now, look at how many players A&M is allowed to take in a single recruiting class. If you need help figuring out the math you can PM me, and we can work through it. A&M is going to get their recruits regardless. We are competing with Baylor, TCU, and Texas, too. Guess what...they aren't in the SEC. We are on the SEC Network in that recruit's home, just like Baylor is on Fox Sports, or Texas is on the Longhorn Network (which very few have) against those mid-major opponents. The days of Texas families not being able to see their kids playing at the U of A against the Toledos and UABs are over because they will be on the SEC Network, which is offered thanks to A&M being in our conference.

greenie

Here's how I see it...Since aTm joined the SEC:

- we lost a selling point against all Texas schools:  "come play in the SEC"

- we gained: exposure in Texas through our game in Dallas with aTm

I guess you can argue about the net benefit/detriment.  IMHO, we lost a bigger advantage.

MiHogsMi

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 11:18:14 am
I believed it before Bielema said it. I worked in the athletic department, and was able to experience first hand why some players from Texas chose the Hogs. Their family being able to see them play both in person on television was a common theme among them all. Deciding factor? No, but it plays a role in their decision.

I don't care if Texas produces 10,000 d1 recruits.  I only care about the ones our staff offers.  If one that our staff offers also has offers from aTm then that is where we lost our previous advantage.  Now, aTm can sell the SEC and staying home;  its that simple.  There is no advantage to Arkansas for this recruit as there WAS before aTm joined the SEC.

jry04

Quote from: greenie on July 16, 2015, 11:21:35 am
Here's how I see it...Since aTm joined the SEC:

- we lost a selling point against all Texas schools:  "come play in the SEC"

- we gained: exposure in Texas through our game in Dallas with aTm

I guess you can argue about the net benefit/detriment.  IMHO, we lost a bigger advantage.
All Texas schools?

One Texas school. The others still don't play in the SEC.

greenie

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 11:23:06 am
All Texas schools?

One Texas school. The others still don't play in the SEC.

Yes...at that time, we could say ALL Texas schools.  Now we can't say that about ALL Texas schools.  You had to leave Texas to play in the SEC.

jry04

Quote from: MiHogsMi on July 16, 2015, 11:21:44 am
I don't care if Texas produces 10,000 d1 recruits.  I only care about the ones our staff offers.  If one that our staff offers also has offers from aTm then that is where we lost our previous advantage.  Now, aTm can sell the SEC and staying home;  its that simple.  There is no advantage to Arkansas for this recruit as there WAS before aTm joined the SEC.

EVERY RECRUIT ISNT GOING TO A&M. If there are 50 division 1 athletes in Texas, and A&M can take 25 of them, then there are 25 more that we can go after and have an even greater leg up on the other non-SEC Texas schools than we did before. We are never going to have a class full of Texas players. If we can pluck 4 or 5 from Missouri and Texas, then we have had a successful class. Those recruits now have more access to our games than ever before. I never said or argued we have an advantage over A&M or Missouri by them joining the SEC. However, we have an even greater advantage over the other Texas schools, OU, Kansas State, etc who recruit those states than we did before.

jry04

Quote from: greenie on July 16, 2015, 11:25:07 am
Yes...at that time, we could say ALL Texas schools.  Now we can't say that about ALL Texas schools.  You had to leave Texas to play in the SEC.
I think I understand what you are saying now. The way you worded it at first made me think you were trying to say we lost an advantage against every single Texas school.

ldfergu

Quote from: MiHogsMi on July 16, 2015, 11:11:39 am

Spot on +1

jry04

The star system is far from perfect, but according to Rivals, there are 42 4* & 5* players combined for the 2016 class. There are an additional 110 3* athletes in Texas for 2016. Even if A&M lands an entire class of 25-30 players from Texas (which NEVER happens), there are 100+ more division 1 athletes available in the state of Texas that we will be competing for against Baylor, OU, OSU, TCU, SMU, TT, Texas, etc...

For some reason, you guys seem to think this is a Texas A&M v Arkansas thing. There is no doubt in my mind TAMU gained a greater advantage, and put us at a disadvantage head to head against them for recruits. My point is, where we lose an advantage over them, we gain an even greater advantage over those other schools.

greenie

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 11:28:03 am
I think I understand what you are saying now. The way you worded it at first made me think you were trying to say we lost an advantage against every single Texas school.

Understood...my position was not clearly stated.  Anyway, I think people see aTm as THE recruiting threat in Texas right now (even though Baylor, TCU, and even Houston are getting good recruits as of late), so we want every advantage we can have against them.  We certainly lost one advantage against them when they joined the SEC.  You appear to be a proponent of the gains we made and I agree there were certainly some gains.  I can see both sides, and maybe I've lost my objectivity, but I HATE giving up any sort of advantage  against aTm.  Your thinking may be clearer than mine.  I'm an emotional fan, biased against all Texas schools.  :-)

jry04

Quote from: greenie on July 16, 2015, 11:40:49 am
Understood...my position was not clearly stated.  Anyway, I think people see aTm as THE recruiting threat in Texas right now (even though Baylor, TCU, and even Houston are getting good recruits as of late), so we want every advantage we can have against them.  We certainly lost one advantage against them when they joined the SEC.  You appear to be a proponent of the gains we made and I agree there were certainly some gains.  I can see both sides, and maybe I've lost my objectivity, but I HATE giving up any sort of advantage  against aTm.  Your thinking may be clearer than mine.  I'm an emotional fan, biased against all Texas schools.  :-)
We definitely lost an advantage against TAMU. No doubt about it, and it sucks. My only point is we can build a championship team even with A&M getting their pick of the recruits from Texas, because there are 50+ potential NFL players in Texas every recruiting class. Even if we lose out to A&M on every common recruit, as long as we beat out the other Texas schools on 5 or 6 of our recruits every year, we are likely getting 5 or 6 quality kids from Texas.

greenie

Quote from: jry04 on July 16, 2015, 11:43:35 am
We definitely lost an advantage against TAMU. No doubt about it, and it sucks. My only point is we can build a championship team even with A&M getting their pick of the recruits from Texas, because there are 50+ potential NFL players in Texas every recruiting class. Even if we lose out to A&M on every common recruit, as long as we beat out the other Texas schools on 5 or 6 of our recruits every year, we are likely getting 5 or 6 quality kids from Texas.

Agree on all points.  It just feels like Texas could easily become another Alabama, Louisiana, Georgia, or Florida where we simply get the leftovers.  However, Bielema is an outstanding recruiter, and I'm sure you'll remind me of this if we land Brandon Jones, Tyrie Cleveland, Jeffrey McCulloch, and/or Devwah Whaley.  ;) 

To my knowledge, aTm has yet to get a commitment for any of the top 20 players in Texas...since they recently lost Greg Little.  That probably won't hold forever.

oldhawg

Then their is this ----- A&M gained an advantage over the Longhorns, not the Razorbacks.  The Aggies now compete for athletes that were bound for UT as long as the Aggies were in the same conference as Texas.  Now that A&M is an SEC school, some high school athletes are headed for College Station rather than Austin.  The prospects for Arkansas signing top rated Texas athletes is as good, or better, than it has ever been since the Razorbacks joined the SEC.