Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#1 rebounder in the JUCO ranks back on the market

Started by mmhogs17, May 09, 2012, 12:48:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

mmhogs17

John Odo, 6-11

12.4 ppg, 14.2 rpg(#1 in the nation), 4.6 bpg(#2 in the nation)

Signed with North Texas and requested a release when Johnny Jones went to LSU, and North Texas granted his release, but will block a transfer to LSU.

Only picture I can find of him on google:

mmhogs17

CPO Hog

TrojanHog

We Got NUMBER 2, who needs number 1, when Number 2 was right there waiting?

mhuff

Mrcoolhog55

Yes as a Hog fan I would take him as well, and that would meet our big man-center need at the low post....At 6-11 I would take him, and I hope the Hogs will too....At least take a look at him....Go Hogs Go., and I am glad the Hogs got Cody Clarke at a power forward position who can rebound, and score..................

Blutoblutarsky

Quote from: Mrcoolhog55 on May 09, 2012, 08:06:11 pm
Yes as a Hog fan I would take him as well, and that would meet our big man-center need at the low post....At 6-11 I would take him, and I hope the Hogs will too....At least take a look at him....Go Hogs Go., and I am glad the Hogs got Cody Clarke at a power forward position who can rebound, and score..................

Ok, MCHizzle, first of all it's Coty...and we have no more spots left if Coty Clarke fulfills his commitment and signs with us.

The_Bionic_Pig

Sorry but it appears were done with 2012 basketball recruiting.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Dropkick

Is that Courtney Fortson in the photo with him?

Hogeration

Quote from: Dropkick on May 09, 2012, 10:17:35 pm
Is that Courtney Fortson in the photo with him?

Looks more like a little sister.

mhuff

Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on May 09, 2012, 09:46:34 pm
Ok, MCHizzle, first of all it's Coty...and we have no more spots left if Coty Clarke fulfills his commitment and signs with us.

OK BB, if a person came along we really wanted, a spot would open up. The numbers always work themselves out.

Cresthog

The Boar War

Quote from: casey65 on May 10, 2012, 09:47:21 am
Hey Captain Negitive,he is Mrcoolhog55 not MCHizzle and he is entitled to his own opinion...Quit being a Nazi.

:razorback: :razorback:  ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

He's not being a Nazi.  He's just using math.

mhuff

Quote from: The Boar War on May 10, 2012, 01:29:04 pm
He's not being a Nazi.  He's just using math.

No, he was just trying to make fun of MrCool. Last time I looked 13-1= 12. If MA wanted someone else, room would be made. I would have thought that would have happened already though. One thing about it.....I bet we have a full roster. Before it was like having a duel and us not having a pistol.

Swinesong1

Quote from: mhuff on May 10, 2012, 02:32:30 pm
No, he was just trying to make fun of MrCool. Last time I looked 13-1= 12. If MA wanted someone else, room would be made. I would have thought that would have happened already though. One thing about it.....I bet we have a full roster. Before it was like having a duel and us not having a pistol.
Well, if everyone returns AND Harris is granted imeediate eligibility, we will have a full roster.  If he has to sit out, we will only have 12 scholarship players for the 2012-13 season (with Harris occupying the 13th while redshirting).  The only way to add anyone else for 2012 would be to run off a returning player or yank a schollie from a 2012 signee or Harris.  Neither appears likely.  That would also create a domino affect for the 2013 class.  Becasue as it stands now (assuming Portis and Lee sign), one player for sure will not return for 2013 season.  Any other addtions will automatically mean a subtraction must be made.

mhuff

Get your pencils sharpened and your erasers ready. Probably won't happen til next year.....plus BJ will go to the pros.

mhuff

May 10, 2012, 05:07:36 pm #16 Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 05:14:33 pm by mhuff
Swine, I have the feeling Harris will be eligible. I think and this is just my opinion, MA will play everyone and then there will be addition by subtraction to the level of talent we can add. That's the nature of the beast. MA seems to subscribe to the bird in the hand theory...... but this next year he will find out who fits his system and who doesn't. There are always always some who want to move along to get more playing time as well.

GuvHog

May 11, 2012, 12:20:15 pm #17 Last Edit: May 11, 2012, 12:23:09 pm by GUVHOG
Quote from: Blutoblutarsky on May 09, 2012, 09:46:34 pm

Any HC that wouldn't make room no matter what the situation for the number 1 rebounder in the JUCO ranks who happens to be 6'11" 250, is a fool.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

The Boar War

Quote from: GUVHOG on May 11, 2012, 12:20:15 pm
Any HC that wouldn't make room no matter what the situation for the number 1 rebounder in the JUCO ranks who happens to be 6'11" 250, is a fool.

So the APR's all taken care of?

Adam Stokes

Quote from: The Boar War on May 11, 2012, 04:58:26 pm
So the APR's all taken care of?

I'm pretty sure we cleared it all off this past year if I'm not mistaken.

The_Bionic_Pig

Alandis first has to enroll in school before he can even apply for a waiver which could take us into December (worst case scenario) before a judgement is rendered.

It is also true a scholarship would have to be yanked in order for one to be given to another eligible player in the 2012 class and I see no-one being asked to leave at this point. Dudley Dawson has been addiment that both Powell & Young are gone at the conclusion of the 2012-2013' season and I Cam also perceive more defection's. Which opens up even more opportunities for the 2013 class.

Last but not least Dedrick Lee is a D-1 talent but Dee Wagner isn't giving up the starting PG position until he graduates in 2016 as he has Ty Lawson (pedigree) high basketball IQ & leadership.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Swinesong1

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 11, 2012, 06:54:51 pm
Alandis first has to enroll in school before he can even apply for a waiver which could take us into December (worst case scenario) before a judgement is rendered.

It is also true a scholarship would have to be yanked in order for one to be given to another eligible player in the 2012 class and I see no-one being asked to leave at this point. Dudley Dawson has been addiment that both Powell & Young are gone at the conclusion of the 2012-2013' season and I Cam also perceive more defection's. Which opens up even more opportunities for the 2013 class.

Last but not least Dedrick Lee is a D-1 talent but Dee Wagner isn't giving up the starting PG position until he graduates in 2016 as he has Ty Lawson (pedigree) high basketball IQ & leadership.
If would in fact take an additional player or players leaving (other than Powell and Young) in order for any other schollie to be available for 2013.
As it stands, the 2013-2014 roster would have Wade, Scott, Clarke, Madden, Harris, Abron, Mickelson, Wagner, Bell, Qualls, Williams, Lee and Portis which equals 13.

The Boar War

Quote from: Adam Stokes on May 11, 2012, 06:17:41 pm
I'm pretty sure we cleared it all off this past year if I'm not mistaken.

We only took the penalty last year.  APR points from previous years still have an effect on the current (overall) score.  The last two years have been okay but the two before that were terrible.  I don't think we can afford to lose potential graduation points.  I'm really surprised we allowed Nobles to leave.

The only way I could see this happening is if we ask Clarke to hold off on signing and go after Odo.  I don't think it's smart and I'm pretty sure we won't do it.

mhuff

Quote from: The Boar War on May 11, 2012, 10:29:36 pm
We only took the penalty last year.  APR points from previous years still have an effect on the current (overall) score.  The last two years have been okay but the two before that were terrible.  I don't think we can afford to lose potential graduation points.  I'm really surprised we allowed Nobles to leave.

The only way I could see this happening is if we ask Clarke to hold off on signing and go after Odo.  I don't think it's smart and I'm pretty sure we won't do it.

Boar, I am almost sure that I read that we took our penalty and then we start fresh. We have like three years before they will penalize you. If you will remember we had several years to raise our score and then they lowered the boom. Otherwise, it would be like double jeopardy. They are not going to punish us again for what they have just cost us one schollie.... fresh start... what say ya or anyone?

RAF

Quote from: mhuff on May 12, 2012, 02:28:58 pm
Boar, I am almost sure that I read that we took our penalty and then we start fresh. We have like three years before they will penalize you. If you will remember we had several years to raise our score and then they lowered the boom. Otherwise, it would be like double jeopardy. They are not going to punish us again for what they have just cost us one schollie.... fresh start... what say ya or anyone?
I don't think there's any such thing as a "fresh start" with the APR.  It's a continuous, 4-year cummulative score.  Just because we were punished one year doesn't mean that we can't be punished the next year if our score doesn't improve.

mhuff

They give you time to get your score up. Our score was down two or three years before the hammer fell

RAF

Quote from: mhuff on May 12, 2012, 06:21:33 pm
They give you time to get your score up. Our score was down two or three years before the hammer fell
And that was a courtesy that was extended, not a "rule".  Long story short, our APR is not "fixed" yet, regardless of any recent punishments.

GuvHog

Quote from: mhuff on May 12, 2012, 06:21:33 pm

It was down for 2 or three years but it only fell below the limit one year and that was Pel's second year (which cost them a scholarship last year). Pel's 3rd year score was passable but barely and his 4th year was a little better. Since it bottomed out in Pel's second year it has been slowly but steadily improving.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

mhuff

Thanks  Guv, Boar, Drew..... I was under the impression that once you were under you had a period to get it back up or be penalized. I shall try to read up on this and post anything if it benefits the discussion.

RAF

Okay, so here's the timeline with the APR.  You get a score every year (max of 1000), and your 4-year average has to be 925 to be in good standing.  In 2007-2008, we got a 755 in basketball (which obviously decimated the average), and we got a formal reprimand. 

The NCAA was ready to punish us the next season, but we got a 933, and that level of progress impressed them to the point that we given a reprieve; we still weren't above the 925 limit (our 4-year average at that time was 892), but we had made an obvious good-faith effort to rectify our score.  The next season, we got a 918, and that's when we got penalized (since it was lower than 925).

I can't find our scores from 2010-2011, but I don't think that they were "great".  They were 900+, but I'm not sure if they were 925+ (which is the score that we're going to have to start hitting on a regular basis if we want to stop getting penalized).

The nice thing about this is, when 2011-2012 numbers come out, that 755 from 2007-2008 will be phased out of the equation.  But, if the 2011-2012 score isn't above 925, we're going to be eligible for another penalty.  Our problem isn't that we're not being given time to improve our score; it's that even when we are given time to improve our score, our yearly scores aren't above 925 (if you don't score higher than 925, it's impossible to average 925).

HoopS

The 755 is an albatross.  To my knowledge, none of that group ever graduated....Hill, Thomas, Townes, etc,...

On a related note.  Marvelle Waithe just graduated.  Congrats!

HogBreath

Quote from: HoopS on May 13, 2012, 10:16:01 am
The 755 is an albatross.  To my knowledge, none of that group ever graduated....Hill, Thomas, Townes, etc,...

On a related note.  Marvelle Waithe just graduated.  Congrats!
Glad to see that..I always felt like Waithe was also a better player than what he was given a chance to show.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

mhuff

Quote from: Drew F (dxf04) on May 13, 2012, 09:27:14 am
Okay, so here's the timeline with the APR.  You get a score every year (max of 1000), and your 4-year average has to be 925 to be in good standing.  In 2007-2008, we got a 755 in basketball (which obviously decimated the average), and we got a formal reprimand. 

The NCAA was ready to punish us the next season, but we got a 933, and that level of progress impressed them to the point that we given a reprieve; we still weren't above the 925 limit (our 4-year average at that time was 892), but we had made an obvious good-faith effort to rectify our score.  The next season, we got a 918, and that's when we got penalized (since it was lower than 925).

I can't find our scores from 2010-2011, but I don't think that they were "great".  They were 900+, but I'm not sure if they were 925+ (which is the score that we're going to have to start hitting on a regular basis if we want to stop getting penalized).

The nice thing about this is, when 2011-2012 numbers come out, that 755 from 2007-2008 will be phased out of the equation.  But, if the 2011-2012 score isn't above 925, we're going to be eligible for another penalty.  Our problem isn't that we're not being given time to improve our score; it's that even when we are given time to improve our score, our yearly scores aren't above 925 (if you don't score higher than 925, it's impossible to average 925).

Drew. I went out this morning and came back with the intention of looking up the APR info. Thanks for providing that info. Our 2011-2012 APR should be good with some graduates. Now I have read past discussions on APR. However, I have this question..... If an athlete leaves the UA in good academic standing or by his or her choice, does this adversely affect our APR? Thanks

RAF

Quote from: mhuff on May 13, 2012, 04:48:30 pm
Drew. I went out this morning and came back with the intention of looking up the APR info. Thanks for providing that info. Our 2011-2012 APR should be good with some graduates. Now I have read past discussions on APR. However, I have this question..... If an athlete leaves the UA in good academic standing or by his or her choice, does this adversely affect our APR? Thanks
My understanding is that if an athlete leaves in good academic standing, it doesn't hurt our score.  It doesn't help our score, either; it's basically a "null" score.  I believe the way the scoring works is that once your APR score is in good standing, you can basically "coast" by having players leave in good academic standing and never graduating.

But, since our score isn't where it needs to be, we're to the point that we really, really need players to actually graduate so we get the "bonus" points in order to pull up our average.  That's why it was so surprising to many that Nobles was allowed to leave before his senior season; we really could have used the APR points from him graduating.

I think that this means that MA believes that we're going to be "fine" with the APR as long as everyone who is currently on the roster (and is expected to graduate) actually graduates.  That's why we really may not be able to "make room" for Odo by jettisoning an upper-classman player who is expected to graduate.

mhuff

May 13, 2012, 05:27:33 pm #34 Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 05:39:43 pm by mhuff
Quote from: Drew F (dxf04) on May 13, 2012, 05:02:36 pm
My understanding is that if an athlete leaves in good academic standing, it doesn't hurt our score.  It doesn't help our score, either; it's basically a "null" score.  I believe the way the scoring works is that once your APR score is in good standing, you can basically "coast" by having players leave in good academic standing and never graduating.

But, since our score isn't where it needs to be, we're to the point that we really, really need players to actually graduate so we get the "bonus" points in order to pull up our average.  That's why it was so surprising to many that Nobles was allowed to leave before his senior season; we really could have used the APR points from him graduating.

I think that this means that MA believes that we're going to be "fine" with the APR as long as everyone who is currently on the roster (and is expected to graduate) actually graduates.  That's why we really may not be able to "make room" for Odo by jettisoning an upper-classman player who is expected to graduate.

We should be getting bonus points as Peterson, Sanchez, and now Waithe have graduated. I think there was one more..... Marcus Britt..... Now did not Nobles say he left by choice? I don't know how some of those are proven unless by public statement.

batmanfan

Images should not be any wider or taller than 250 pixels, max two images.  use  or  to accomplish this.  Total image width is allowed to be 500 pixels, maximum.  Maximum size of all signature images cannot exceed 100,000 total bytes.

The Boar War

Cresthog

Quote from: HoopS on May 13, 2012, 10:16:01 am

Pretty darn sure Hill did.

He came back and finished an accounting degree.

Breems

His current school blocked a transfer to LSU?  Is there any reason they wouldn't do the same to us?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: Breems on May 15, 2012, 07:01:32 pm
His current school blocked a transfer to LSU?  Is there any reason they wouldn't do the same to us?

Yeah, UNT's former head coach isn't the Razorback head coach.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: Breems on May 15, 2012, 07:01:32 pm
Only reason they blocked it is because LSUs coach just took the job comig from NTU I believe

Nipsey Mussle

Quote from: Cresthog on May 15, 2012, 05:59:42 pm
Pretty darn sure Hill did.

He came back and finished an accounting degree.
Works at jb hunt i believe

The_Bionic_Pig

Best available player + M Jaiteh may be still in play after-all.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Breems

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on May 15, 2012, 07:14:17 pm
Only reason they blocked it is because LSUs coach just took the job comig from NTU I believe

Knew I was missing something.  Thanks.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Danny J

So have you guys in the know heard anything in regards to us actively trying to fill abrons spot?

mmhogs17

The_Bionic_Pig

█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

The_Bionic_Pig

Also Dudley Dawson mentioned Arkansas connection's with UDO so I'm going to assume the coaching staff is in the words of Roscoe Peko-Train "In Hot Persuit"
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

mmhogs17

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 16, 2012, 01:00:07 pm
Also Dudley Dawson mentioned Arkansas connection's with UDO so I'm going to assume the coaching staff is in the words of Roscoe Peko-Train "In Hot Persuit"

UDO?

Dogtown Donkey