Started by WxHog, December 04, 2011, 07:51:58 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WxHog

#6, #7, #8 & #9 don't go to a BCS game

but #11, #13, #15 and #23 go.

Messed up.  If we are going to have this system, can we at least:

1)get rid of the 2 team conference limit

and

2)The Big East winner (and all conference winners) must reach the top 14 to receive an automatic BCS bid, much like the at-large bids.

scorekeeper

If winning isn't everything, why do they keep score?

josh_sec33

Quote from: WxHog on December 04, 2011, 07:51:58 pm
#5, #6, #7, #8 & #9 &#10 don't go to a BCS game

and

2)The Big East winner (and all conference winners) must reach the top 14 to receive an automatic BCS bid, much like the at-large bids.

Fixed that for you.
Quote from: Hogstocking on February 07, 2008, 11:45:16 am
The 'fence' has been replaced by the Great Wall of China wrapped in barbed wire guarded by snipers. 

Quote from: Fayettechill14 on September 06, 2012, 05:43:24 pm
On a scale of "DGB is a Hog" to "Bobby had a girl on the back of that bike," how sure are you?

Choctaw Hog

and

Will probably happen

Tejano Jawg

Good summary WX.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

rhames

This is why people should be pissed. Not because we are going to cotton over cap but because we can't go to a bcs game
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

razorbackcpa

Yeah, your numbers are off. Only the Top 4 of the Top 10 are going to BCS games.

texhog

If the two team limit was not in place now, which BCS bowl do you suppose might invite the Hogs?  Sugar?

fullfan

Just WIN the one you go to and it will all work itself out.   End the season with a Win!  We can still finish top 5 which should help with recruiting and set us up preseason next year.    :razorback:

razorbackcpa

Quote from: texhog on December 04, 2011, 07:57:56 pm
If the two team limit was not in place now, which BCS bowl do you suppose might invite the Hogs?  Sugar?

Hands down, yes. Sugar is probably very upset not to have an SEC team, that's why they had to drag Michigan all the way from #13.

FarmingtonFan

I know its the rules of the system, but it sux to be left out

hawgtahm

Quote from: razorbackcpa on December 04, 2011, 07:56:31 pm
Yeah, your numbers are off. Only the Top 4 of the Top 10 are going to BCS games.
5 and 10 are in rose bowl

destinflhog

If these bowls, are going to be called BCS, then the top 10 teams should be in them.  If they don't take the top 10, get rid of name.

The BCS has done a pretty good job of matching up 1vs2 but a lot of deserving schools have been screwed out of a prestigious bowl.  That's where the injustice is.

Tim Harris

There should be no automatic tie ins.  Top 10 teams should go to the BCS bowl games.

Hawgrox

It is the job of the BCS to match #1 & #2....after that they don't care.

WxHog

Quote from: josh_sec33 on December 04, 2011, 07:54:43 pm
Fixed that for you.

#5 Oregon is playing #10 Wisconsin in Rose Bowl.

Donny2665

Quote from: tbharris on December 04, 2011, 08:05:19 pm
There should be no automatic tie ins.  Top 10 teams should go to the BCS bowl games.

I second this^^^^.
This life's hard, but it's harder if you're stupid.~George V.Higgins

Ignorance is a voluntary misfortune!~Nicolas Ling

Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and then beat you with experience.~Mark Twain

ARF

Why don't the BCS just take the "C" out because that is about all it amounts too.
Quote from: Polecat on November 20, 2011, 09:29:39 am
I'm satisfied that we're potentially one win away from the BCS title game while Nutt's opponents have to take a knee in the red zone to keep from running up the score. That tells us all we need to know

~W88PIGS88IE~

longyanh

and

I don't understand, why people are so mad about BCS bowls?  They are just another bowls. The only matter is the nation championship game.  Can you tell me who were ranked second and third in last 5 years?

pigsooie1000

their just exhibition games, we are already playing #8 what's the big deal if it's officially sanctioned by the BCS or not. we got an elite matchup, I'd rather play a top-8 team in a non-BCS bowl than play WV in the BCS

EastexHawg

Bowl Championship Series?  Can someone explain what the "series" is that determines the championship?

The Cotton Bowl Association could rename its game the World Series of College Football and the name would be about as accurate and representative of what's actually taking place.

There is no "series".  If you're going to decide who gets to play for the imaginary national championship via a beauty contest vote, just pick the two teams that play in the championship game and let the rest of the bowl pick whoever they want.

WADHOG

Quote from: longyanh on December 04, 2011, 08:15:41 pm

I don't understand, why people are so mad about BCS bowls?  They are just another bowls. The only matter is the nation championship game.  Can you tell me who were ranked second and third in last 5 years?

Tha Rocketman

1) Because Arkansas has never won a BCS Game
2) Winning BCS games helps with recruiting
3) It is dumb that a team ranked #23 goes to a BCS Game over someone in the Top 10.  Similar to UCONN last year.  These crappy teams get in and get crushed!

Honestly I cannot believe I'm answering this CRAZY question!

rickm1976

and

I agree.  The whole system is a joke.  The highest ranked teams should play in the BCS bowls regardless of conference affiliation.  If the other teams want to make the big bucks, then they need to win and earn their way.  This year, it looks like the only match-up that worked is in the National Championship game.

DeltaBoy

The Rules screwed us out of a Return to the Sugar Bowl.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

kodiakisland

Its about the money.
If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

Razor6

I hope Mike and Mike exploit this more tomorrow
I was there when we melted the internet!  Were you?

Pig In The City

Like a previous post mentioned, the BCS is designed ONLY for picking the top two teams and after that, the BCS is like your mean step-mother.  She really doesn't care.

SurfnSun

This is an easy one...
BCS bowls pay out ~$15million per team

Cotton bowl pays out $7.5 million total, split between two teams.  So the SEC loses 12 million dollars by us not playing in a BCS bowl

LLPL

Quote from: SurfnSun on December 04, 2011, 09:40:03 pm
This is an easy one...

Cotton bowl pays out $7.5 million total, split between two teams.  So the SEC loses 12 million dollars by us not playing in a BCS bowl

2nd team from the same conference does not get the full amount (which is actually 18 million). For instance...this year both LSU and Bama play in the BCS. The League will get a check for the 18 million for the 1st team but only 6 million for the 2nd team. League BCS take will be 24 million. Remember the league gets the checks, not the schools and then the league pays out to each school and equal amount divided by 13 (12 schools and the SEC Office) minus the expenses agreed upon by each participating school.

The BCS is not a perfect solution but it is the solution all the conferences agreed to. You could even make the argument that the SEC designed most of this process themselves when Roy Kramer put it all together. A lot has changed since 1998 and it needs to be tweaked accordingly. One thing the BCS has been very consistent with is the fact that they do not claim to exist to make matchups beyond 1 vs 2. That was the only reason they were formed. They will make no apology considering they have pulled that off every year. They have never been interested, or claimed to be, in matchups beyond that. They get the conference champs into the BCS bowls and let the bowls themselves fight out the matchups past their automatic affiliations such as Pac-12/Big 10 to the Rose etc. The BCS is working exactly as it was always intended...to get the 2 best teams playing for the BCS Championship.

razorback3072

Quote from: SurfnSun on December 04, 2011, 09:40:03 pm
This is an easy one...

Actually, they don't lose any money because they have their two team allottment already.  Therefore, you can't lose what you weren't going to get anyway. 

And as was said just below your post, the 2nd team in doesn't get the full payout.  The Sugar Bowl payout last year was only about $4.5 million per team.  Instead of paying out $34 Million total, they were only out $9 million.

And, with the equitable revenue sharing of the SEC, Ole Miss will get a check roughly the same as LSU(a few thousand difference but not much).  So the $$ isn't the issue.  The only way the SEC loses $$ is by only getting one team in the BCS and/or not filling all of their bowl tie-in slots.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

moses_007

and

This is so sad.  Guess it's better to be ranked between 11th and 14th in the final BCS rankings.

razorback3072

Quote from: moses_007 on December 04, 2011, 11:29:22 pm
This is so sad.  Guess it's better to be ranked between 11th and 14th in the final BCS rankings.

yes it is.  And this is what might actually cause some change.  Everyone wants chaos in the BCS, i.e. re-matches, lots of teams with the same records at the top, etc.

However, the fact that 4 top 10 teams are being left out of the BCS while 4 teams outside the top 10 are going, may be the chaos we didn't anticipate.
A veteran is someone who at one point in his life wrote a blank check payable to the United States of America for the amount of "up to and including my life." That is honor. There are way too many people in this country who no longer understand that.

http://www.nralifeofduty.tv/#/patriotprofiles

http://fearlessnavyseal.com/

CDBHawg

#6 vs #8 was the Sugar Bowl matchup last year. BCS got it all wrong this year.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Quote from: tbharris on December 04, 2011, 08:05:19 pm

I agree with the above post, & believe this is the correct solution....& common sense.  If not, why even rank the teams in the BCS?  Any system that leaves 4 of the top 10 BCS ranking teams out of BCS bowls........is not only flawed, but downright stupid.

As the system stands now.......it should be called the "BS" system.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Rzbakfromwaybak

December 05, 2011, 12:53:39 am #36 Last Edit: December 05, 2011, 12:55:42 am by Rzbakfromwaybak
Quote from: HogFanDallas on December 04, 2011, 09:37:20 pm
Like a previous post mentioned, the BCS is designed ONLY for picking the top two teams and after that, the BCS is like your mean step-mother.  She really doesn't care.

Then the BCS should only rank........the #1 & 2 teams in the country.....they should stop right there, & have no input on anything else.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

longyanh

Quote from: LLPL on December 04, 2011, 11:15:17 pm
2nd team from the same conference does not get the full amount (which is actually 18 million). For instance...this year both LSU and Bama play in the BCS. The League will get a check for the 18 million for the 1st team but only 6 million for the 2nd team. League BCS take will be 24 million. Remember the league gets the checks, not the schools and then the league pays out to each school and equal amount divided by 13 (12 schools and the SEC Office) minus the expenses agreed upon by each participating school.

The BCS is not a perfect solution but it is the solution all the conferences agreed to. You could even make the argument that the SEC designed most of this process themselves when Roy Kramer put it all together. A lot has changed since 1998 and it needs to be tweaked accordingly. One thing the BCS has been very consistent with is the fact that they do not claim to exist to make matchups beyond 1 vs 2. That was the only reason they were formed. They will make no apology considering they have pulled that off every year. They have never been interested, or claimed to be, in matchups beyond that. They get the conference champs into the BCS bowls and let the bowls themselves fight out the matchups past their automatic affiliations such as Pac-12/Big 10 to the Rose etc. The BCS is working exactly as it was always intended...to get the 2 best teams playing for the BCS Championship.

+1 This will help some "numb nut" to understand the BCS system. It is unbelievable that there are still some ppl have no clue about BCS.

Beside, who care what bowl we play, as long as we win.  The only matter is who is the champ.  Can you name number 2 and 3 teams for last 5 years? I guess not. 

Murr

Quote from: pigsooie1000 on December 04, 2011, 08:23:02 pm
their just exhibition games, we are already playing #8 what's the big deal if it's officially sanctioned by the BCS or not. we got an elite matchup, I'd rather play a top-8 team in a non-BCS bowl than play WV in the BCS

just exhibition games.  a reward for not sucking half the season and the fans get a month to plan for the final tailgate of the season

SurfnSun

Quote from: longyanh on December 05, 2011, 02:59:51 am
+1 This will help some "numb nut" to understand the BCS system. It is unbelievable that there are still some ppl have no clue about BCS.

Beside, who care what bowl we play, as long as we win.  The only matter is who is the champ.  Can you name number 2 and 3 teams for last 5 years? I guess not. 

With the current 2 cap limit yes, but if you read the question coupled with the original thread post it might start to make sense.

Frankly I could care less what the exact payouts in the BCS are, there are way more important things in my life occupying my time.  I posted the ADVERTISED payouts...whatever really happens doesn't matter much to me.

ohenry

thirrdegreetusker

Quote from: Hawgrox on December 04, 2011, 08:07:32 pm
It is the job of the BCS to match #1 & #2....after that they don't care.

.......and should not. Let the other four BSC bowls get who they want. Letr the bowls affiliate with conferences, if they want, but have an "out" if that conf champ is not in the top 10.

MountieDawg

in 2013 the BCS will just decide the championship game! The rest of the BCS games are gone.  Still hate the idea of bowls picking the team that brings the most fans or sells to the biggest TV audience. It should help Arkansas but Boise will be screwed even more when this happens!  A like a 12 team playoff with 4 teams getting byes! Have a selection committee that picks the best 12 teams regardless of conference.  Or you have 4 super conferences and they all get byes and the next best 8 teams go!  I like that better!

First 2 rounds at the higher ranked teams home field and the Final 4 at Jerry's World, Rose Bowl, New Orleans or Orlando....  Why the NCAA cares so much about making money for these cities that host bowls is beyond me!
SEC!

hogsanity

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 05, 2011, 04:29:20 pm
.  Still hate the idea of bowls picking the team that brings the most fans or sells to the biggest TV audience. It should help Arkansas but Boise will be screwed even more when this happens! 

But the bowls were invented to bring people to these cities, not pick the "best" team.  Back before the BCS, it was not uncommon for a bowl to pass up a team with 2 or 3 more wins, to get the team they wanted.  The bowls should be able to pick whatever teams they want, or make deals with whatever leagues they want.  The ONLY reason the big 4 bowls signed onto the BCS to start with was they were promised the BCSCG once every 4 years.  That is where the "series" came from in BCS. Why they agreed to the 2 team rule is beyond me, my guess is, without it, the acc and big least ( maybe even the pac 10 at the time ) would not sign on without that stipulation. 

Not only would the sugar have taken the hogs this year, I bet the Orange bowl would have taken So Car if they could have.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE