Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Miles out - all but official

Started by Karma, November 22, 2015, 02:35:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

GoHogs1091

If the LSU job comes open, then this is who I see they will consider in this order.

Jimbo Fisher
Tom Herman   LSU people are tired of 1950s-1960s Offense
Mike Gundy   Possibly the type of job that can get him away from Oklahoma State
Mike Leach

Kenny Hawgins

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 22, 2015, 02:43:55 pm
If the LSU job comes open, then this is who I see they will consider in this order.

Jimbo Fisher
Mike Leach
Mike Leach?  Not a chance.
Twirling round with this familiar parable
Spinning, weaving round each new experience

tophawg19

Tom herman is to unproven and has lost a bit of luster as the season closes. i think he will be a good one but needs more time
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

GoHogs1091

Quote from: tophawg19 on November 22, 2015, 03:03:15 pm
Tom herman is to unproven and has lost a bit of luster as the season closes. i think he will be a good one but needs more time

Herman has lost 1 game on the road by 3 points (against a Head Coach, Bob Diaco, who won the Broyles Award when he was a DC at Notre Dame).

Herman uses an Offense that many Schools/fanbases are wanting, and the fact Herman has been with Urban Meyer and probably has learned facets about program building from Meyer means Herman has a lot of luster for Schools looking for a new Head Coach.

Pig in the Pokey

Jimbo Fisher
Mike Leach
nope. The want GRUDEN.

To that end, representatives of the football program have begun to vet potential replacements for Miles through back channels, the source said, with a preference for an established head coach. Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher is the main target for many foundation members, the source said. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, TCU head coach Gary Patterson and even former NFL coach Jon Gruden have also been mentioned as candidates.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on November 22, 2015, 05:27:32 pm
nope. The want GRUDEN.

To that end, representatives of the football program have begun to vet potential replacements for Miles through back channels, the source said, with a preference for an established head coach. Florida State head coach Jimbo Fisher is the main target for many foundation members, the source said. Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney, TCU head coach Gary Patterson and even former NFL coach Jon Gruden have also been mentioned as candidates.

Fisher and Swinney know the path to success is in the ACC. Patterson? Nope. Not even mentioning the other guy...

They will find themselves much like Florida when they hired Muschamp. If they can't improve, why make the move.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

PLANO

I wouldn't be surprised to hear Petrino's name come up.

GoHogs1091

nope. The want GRUDEN.

Swinney will probably only leave Clemson for Alabama.

If it is true that Gary Patterson has been promised a Mineral Right to a Shale if he stays at TCU, and if that Mineral Right to a Shale is indeed worth $20 Million, then I don't see Patterson going to LSU.

Supposedly, Fisher is unhappy at Florida State.

jethro

Registered in 2003.

Least post per day average on this board.

jkstock04

To me the biggest story here is he has a 15 million dollar buy out and it's been said that will have no bearing on him being fired or not.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

hobhog

Media and fan feeding frenzy has started. Lose lose situation for LSU. If he stays the fans will be chomping on his heels all off season and recruits will be wary. If he leaves they pay millions to fire the winningest coach in their history, only to fight with USC, USCe, Va Tech, Miami, maybe Uga, and other yet to be determined openings.

Could be a similar situation to Texas and USC. Be careful what you ask for.....

Rzbakfromwaybak

Lol.  Well, if he isn't in Baton Rouge already......Hootie is probably on the way, with a resume in hand... ;)
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Oklahawg

nope. The want GRUDEN.

Sounds as unreasonable as HV when we were looking.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Gundy and his financier, T Boone Pickens, are on good terms these days. Gundy won't leave.

You want a big-name that is way out there? Bob Stoops. The margin for error at OU is very thin. He had to slaughter teams since UT to even get the snarkiness out of the air. Lose to Okie State this weekend and it'll all reappear.

Tom Herman makes good sense. His time at Ohio State will bring with him a sense of solid defense.

Fuente at Memphis will land quickly in a big program. I look for him to swoop in after Sumlin leaves A&M for USC :)

Phil Montgomery at Tulsa is doing amazing things with a team that was totally depleted. He is a year away from big consideration in my book.

Would Gus leave for LSU? Freeze? LOL
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

whosiskid

It does look like a feeding frenzy, but I wonder if the LSU fans will be happy a couple of years from now. Miles was (is) a superb recruiter and this might be his best recruiting class. They have a lot of out of state kids in addition to the LA kids, and I wonder if a lot of the out of staters look elsewhere. There might also be some transfers.

Jimbo Fisher looks unlikely to me, but perhaps he would like the opportunity to coach in the SEC rather than that incredibly weird conference he is in, where he plays 8 patsies each year and only 2-3 tough opponents. He might go to LSU, but I wouldn't be surprised if he stayed at FSU and used an LSU offer to get a pay bump.
"It's no trick to make a lot of money...if all you want...is to make a lot of money." - Bernstein, in Citizen Kane

"What if you were given the task of entertaining yourself all day but were finished by noon?" - Kierkegaard

"The disposition to admire, and almost to worship, the rich and the powerful, and to despise, or, at least, to neglect, persons of poor and mean condition [is] the great and most universal cause of the corruption of our moral sentiments." - Adam Smith

"That's libertarians for you - anarchists who want police protection from their slaves." - Kim Stanley Robinson

NoNC4Tubs

November 23, 2015, 06:32:52 am #16 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 09:37:34 am by NoNC4Tubs
Tommy Tuberville has already thrown his name into the hat... 8)

riccoar

Quote from: jkstock04 on November 22, 2015, 06:59:37 pm
To me the biggest story here is he has a 15 million dollar buy out and it's been said that will have no bearing on him being fired or not.
17 million.  I believe buy out is 15 million for Miles and 2 million for his staff.  Seems like that 15 is paid out over several years too.  But considering your going to pay out 17 million and then have to turn around and dole another untold millions for a new staff, this is going to get costly.

COCHISE

The_Iceman

This may not be popular, but I think the perfect coach for that LSU program would be Dan Mullen. His system is a good balance of power football with a little bit of modern elements to it. They could improve their offense without gutting their defense with a HUNH approach.

The_Iceman

Quote from: COCHISE on November 23, 2015, 09:16:48 am
Chip Kelly

If that happened, Bielema might as well give up ever winning the SEC West.

Supermark101

Quote from: Oklahawg on November 22, 2015, 10:56:45 pm
Sounds as unreasonable as HV when we were looking.

Purple tie for Gruden this week. I called it first.

scruf

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 22, 2015, 03:55:33 pm
Herman has lost 1 game on the road by 3 points (against a Head Coach, Bob Diaco, who won the Broyles Award when he was a DC at Notre Dame).

Herman uses an Offense that many Schools/fanbases are wanting, and the fact Herman has been with Urban Meyer and probably has learned facets about program building from Meyer means Herman has a lot of luster for Schools looking for a new Head Coach.
Say Herman again. I dare you. I DOUBLE dare you.

Chief_Osceola

Jimbo isn't leaving FSU.  The next 2-3 years he will have national-title caliber teams.  If anything, he'll get a raise from FSU.

scruf

Houston Nutt IS interested in the job.

HotlantaHog

If Les Miles is being forced to leave after winning a national championship a few years ago and having the No. 2 team in the US a few WEEKS ago, you can imagine that any high-profile coach would be pretty resistant to the idea of going to Baton Rouge. I mean, why give up a great gig somewhere else for a very risky proposition where you will be compared to Alabama every year? (And Arkansas, and Florida, among others.)

Jim Harris

Quote from: sevenof400 on November 22, 2015, 08:34:12 pm
I saw that too and could not believe it.  Jimmy Sexton at work?

sexton is not Miles' agent. However, Miles and Patterson do share the same agent.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

LSUFan

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 23, 2015, 11:43:31 am
If Les Miles is being forced to leave after winning a national championship a few years ago and having the No. 2 team in the US a few WEEKS ago, you can imagine that any high-profile coach would be pretty resistant to the idea of going to Baton Rouge. I mean, why give up a great gig somewhere else for a very risky proposition where you will be compared to Alabama every year? (And Arkansas, and Florida, among others.)
Stupid decision, if you ask me. Les has the highest winning percentage of any coach that has coached at LSU.

It may be a chance for CBP to get back in the SEC though.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

HotlantaHog

Quote from: LSUFan on November 23, 2015, 11:49:59 am
Stupid decision, if you ask me. Les has the highest winning percentage of any coach that has coached at LSU.

I don't think there is an athletic director in the SEC who doesn't think he couldn't do better than Petrino given his issues.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on November 23, 2015, 11:36:43 am
Jimbo isn't leaving FSU.  The next 2-3 years he will have national-title caliber teams.  If anything, he'll get a raise from FSU.

Then its a done deal,Jimbo to LSU... 8)

NoNC4Tubs

LSUFan

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on November 23, 2015, 12:16:48 pm
No doubt... 8)
I already had to kill myself once when that used car salesman came sniffing around last time.

COCHISE

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on November 23, 2015, 11:36:43 am
He'll have that at LSU also.

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: LSUFan on November 23, 2015, 12:23:59 pm
I already had to kill myself once when that used car salesman came sniffing around last time.

Same with  ole Wingnut... 8)

PonderinHog

Quote from: LSUFan on November 23, 2015, 12:23:59 pm
Finish the job!   ;D

HotlantaHog

Remember when Nebraska got rid of a coach after a 9-win season and a distinguished career? Only to struggle for years later.

If LSU buys out Miles, this will be regarded nationally by the media as one of the all-time stupid decisions in college football history. LSU will get blasted and ridiculed for an extended period.

opineonswine

Quote from: LSUFan on November 23, 2015, 11:49:59 am

God that would be great for us.  He couldn't recruit even at LSU.

Chief_Osceola

Quote from: COCHISE on November 23, 2015, 12:26:18 pm
He'll have that at LSU also.

There's not a QB on LSU's roster near as good as Francois or Henry.

Atlhogfan1

The mistake may not be parting ways with Les.  It may very well be time for a change.  Whether or not it is a mistake would be determined by the replacement. 

Jimbo is at one of the two upper tier "SEC"-like programs in a basketball centric conference with multiple private colleges and academic restrictive universities.  Why would he leave what is essentially the same program in a much less brutal conference? 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DLUXHOG

Jimbo Fisher
Mike Leach

what about Justin Fuente?
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

hoggusamoungus

Quote from: HotlantaHog on November 23, 2015, 12:29:01 pm
Remember when Nebraska got rid of a coach after a 9-win season and a distinguished career? Only to struggle for years later.

If LSU buys out Miles, this will be regarded nationally by the media as one of the all-time stupid decisions in college football history. LSU will get blasted and ridiculed for an extended period.

Good point.  Since 1965, LSU has won ten games or more 10 times.  Mike Archer had one, Saban two and Miles has seven.

LSUFan

Quote from: hoggusamoungus on November 23, 2015, 02:38:09 pm
Good point.  Since 1965, LSU has won ten games or more 10 times.  Mike Archer had one, Saban two and Miles has seven.
This smacks of the Charlie Mack firing and the Lou Holtz firing.

HotlantaHog

Wonder what Jeff Long thinks of this? Didn't he try to hire Miles at one point or at least consult with him... they are both Michigan men...

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Kenny Hawgins on November 22, 2015, 02:59:15 pm
Mike Leach?  Not a chance.

Leach was winning 8 and 9 games during seasons out at Lubbock, TX (he won 11 games there in 2008).  Lubbock, TX is perhaps one of the most difficult places to recruit football players.

Just think what Leach could do down in talent rich Louisiana.

LSUFan

hobhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on November 23, 2015, 05:31:07 pm
Leach was winning 8 and 9 games during seasons out at Lubbock, TX (he won 11 games there in 2008).  Lubbock, TX is perhaps one of the most difficult places to recruit football players.

Just think what Leach could do down in talent rich Louisiana.

Leach or Bp at LSU would be hilarious. I'd love to watch those train wrecks go deal with that fan base....

GoHogs1091

Quote from: hobhog on November 23, 2015, 05:48:17 pm
Leach or Bp at LSU would be hilarious. I'd love to watch those train wrecks go deal with that fan base....

Leach won 84 games at Texas Tech over 10 seasons (an average of 8.4 wins per season).

With the talent he would have at LSU, he could possibly average 10 wins per season.

COCHISE

Quote from: Chief_Osceola on November 23, 2015, 02:19:18 pm
There's not a QB on LSU's roster near as good as Francois or Henry.
2-3 years is plenty of time to get a QB, they currently have Feleipe Franks committed to this class. I would encourage you to take a look at LSU's last few recruiting classes. I guarantee you a lack of talent won't be a factor for LSU's next coach.

Hawghiggs

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: COCHISE on November 23, 2015, 06:44:42 pm
2-3 years is plenty of time to get a QB, they currently have Feleipe Franks committed to this class. I would encourage you to take a look at LSU's last few recruiting classes. I guarantee you a lack of talent won't be a factor for LSU's next coach.
he de-committed last night
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang