Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Will Muschamp to South Carolina

Started by jbcarol, October 20, 2015, 08:28:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 10h10 hours ago

USC Coaching Search:  Who's hot!  Who's not!  (Version 1.1) http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2015/10/19/usc-coaching-search-whos-hot-whos-not-verson-1-0/ ...

QuoteKirby Smart, Alabama defensive coordinator:
The smart money (pun intended) could be on Smart...

Justin Fuente, Memphis head coach:
Simply the hottest name in the business right now...

Brent Venables, Clemson defensive coordinator:
Number one, Gamecock fans should not let his Clemson affiliation be a negative...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

PorkRinds

Fuente can get a better job than USCe.

Inhogswetrust

October 20, 2015, 12:38:09 pm #2 Last Edit: October 20, 2015, 06:37:28 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2015, 10:50:24 am

Maybe...maybe not. It is a pretty good job. Don't assume that other openings will occur at better known places. The only one for certain right now that is open that is better known is another USC ironically.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

The Big Lead ‏@thebiglead 16h16 hours ago

Could Rich Rodriguez Replace Steve Spurrier at South Carolina? http://wp.me/p3LRnW-212L

QuoteRodriguez did not immediately come to mind when I started to think about potential candidates for South Carolina. I assumed he would stay at Arizona until a bigger job — say, LSU or Florida State — became available. But as I discussed the possibility with agents and coaches, as well as with people close to the Gamecocks' search, it seems distinctly possible that the 52-year-old Rodriguez and Tanner will eventually talk.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 18h18 hours ago

USC Coaching Search:  Who's hot!  Who's not!  (Version 1.5) http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2015/10/21/usc-coaching-search-whos-hot-whos-not-verson-1-0/ ...

QuoteTom Herman, Houston head coach:

(Update 10/21:  Based on some things we heard on Wednesday, feeling stronger about Herman's position in the search.  His success as offensive coordiantor at Rice, Iowa State and Ohio State and now has head coach at Houston apparently has caught the attention of Ray Tanner.)

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc Oct 21 Charlotte, NC

By the way, @Mark_Schlabach also predicts that South Carolina will hire Kirby Smart as its next head coach.

NoNC4Tubs

This could be a very interesting hire, for sure!  8)

onebadrubi

I don't understand the attraction to rich rod.  What has he done to be able to hold out for alSU or Flordia st.  Not sure anything.

NaturalStateReb

Lots of people have passed on Kirby Smart--Texas A&M, Ole Miss, and Arkansas to name a few.  There's something there that's warning people off.  I don't know what it is.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NoNC4Tubs

Utah and Memphis will have lots of visiting ADs at the end of the season...  8)

jbcarol

Heath Cline ‏@heathradio 14h14 hours ago

For those wondering how much Miami's opening impacts Gamecock HC search, here's a good look from @BruceFeldmanCFB... http://www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/miami-hurricanes-al-golden-fired-new-coach-candidates-alabama-cristobal-colts-chudzinski-102515 ...

QuoteHere's a quick breakdown of how these two programs stack up: Miami has the much better recruiting base (it's the best in the country) and it has the better history. UM has won five national titles and played for a few more in the past 32 years. South Carolina has won one conference title in its history. Back in 1969 when it was 7-4 and won the ACC. Miami's brand — the U — still has a big NFL presence and lots of credibility with kids.

South Carolina can pay a lot more than UM, perhaps as much as $2 million a year more. South Carolina, according to industry sources, also has much more realistic (or manageable) expectations. The facilities — most notably the stadium — is a much, much better situation than what Miami is dealing with. Of all of Miami's issues, its stadium issue is the worst.

The Gamecocks also have stronger fan support. South Carolina plays in the SEC...

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 15h15 hours ago

USC Coaching Search: Who's hot! Who's not! (Version 2.0) http://goo.gl/fb/QjbREr

QuoteShawn Elliott, USC interim head coach:

Off to a good start as the interim coach with a win in game one over Vanderbilt. Showed a lot of leadership and enthusiasm on the sideline and in the locker room.  Gamecock fans had to have loved his emotional response with his players after the game that was posted online.  Elliott is a Camden native and a long time USC fan whose heart is all Garnet and Black.

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks 18m18 minutes ago

Marcus Lattimore will have role in finding new USC football coach http://scne.ws/CbpC0Z 

South Carolina is going with a search committee and a search firm.

jbcarol

Chuck Gamble
‏@ChuckGamble1968

@sportstalksc If UGA parts ways with Richt, does that pressure USC to hurry up and hire a guy like Smart before UGA could?

tusksincolorado

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 20, 2015, 10:50:24 am

The Hawaii job is now open....SIGN ME UP!!!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks 24h24 hours ago

Shawn Elliott says the #Gamecocks will 'keep adding some wrinkles and keep doing things differently.' Goal is an SEC win.

Of South Carolina's first nine games, just three have been at Williams-Brice Stadium. Final three are at home.

Shawn Elliott: 'We had not had fun. It was something that needed to be changed.' http://www.thestate.com/sports/college/university-of-south-carolina/usc-football/article42653916.html ...

tophawg19

hoping they don't bring Herman into the SEC . It's a tough enough conference without a good new coach with Texas ties .
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  8h8 hours ago
Justin Fuente is talk of college football coach searches, but he's not talking http://wpo.st/JFDl0

Nor should he.

QuoteAs perhaps the most promising young college football coach in the country, Justin Fuente of Memphis is not so naive as to think conversations about him aren't taking place at some of the highest-profile programs in the country. Miami, Southern Cal and Virginia Tech, for instance, are seeking head coaches. So are other Power Five schools such as South Carolina, Minnesota and Maryland.

Fuente's stock has never been higher since transforming the Tigers (8-0, 4-0 American Athletic Conference), ranked 13th in the first College Football Playoff poll released Tuesday, from virtual irrelevance to national title hopeful. At 39, he has the energy and drive athletic directors covet as well as a youthful perspective in identifying with blue-chip recruits.

Fuente has been responsible for developing several notable quarterbacks, including Andy Dalton. The starter for the undefeated Cincinnati Bengals played at Texas Christian when Fuente served as offensive coordinator. ..

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 2h2 hours ago

Report: Houston coach the clear front-runner for South Carolina job http://trib.al/n08mu2R

QuoteAccording to a report from JC Shurburtt of 247Sports.com, Houston coach Tom Herman has surfaced as the leading candidate for the job.

Herman has led the Houston Cougars to an 8-0 start in his first season as head coach.

tophawg19

not what i wanted to hear . i was hoping he was headed back north somewhere
if you ain't a hawg you ain't chitlins

jbcarol

Joe Schad ‏@schadjoe 20h20 hours ago

Rich Rodriguez and the South Carolina opening are worth close watching

jbcarol

Jimmy Hyams ‏@JimmyHyams Nov 4

Phil Kornblut with South Carolina radio network Tom Herman of Houston is favorite to replace Steve Spurrier and SC won't hire another coach close to social security age

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker ‏@KyleTucker_CJ 15h15 hours ago

Gotta be a bittersweet year for Houston fans, knowing every win is just driving up the price for Tom Herman. What a job he's done.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  18h18 hours ago
USC Coaching Search:  Who's hot!  Who's not!  (Version 4.0) http://sportstalksc.com/index.php/2015/11/09/usc-coaching-search-whos-hot-whos-not-verson-1-0/ ...

QuoteTom Herman, Houston head coach: Herman right now is the hottest of the hot list with Tanner.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  2h2 hours ago
Poll Question of the Week:  Has Shawn Elliott done enough to garner stronger interest from Ray Tanner? http://sportstalksc.com/

44% at time of post.

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 14h14 hours ago

#STRecruiting: USC target has idea when new coach will be in place http://goo.gl/fb/Af7kOk

QuoteWR Dre Massey of Holmes JC, MS is a major USC target and the Gamecocks are in regular contact with him.  Massey is watching the coaching search at USC with a lot of interest and his recruiting plans have been impacted by that. He originally was going to visit USC this weekend for the Florida game but that's been pushed back to December 4th.

Massey: "The new coach is supposed to be coming in around the time I visit or at least they'll know who it's going to be.  It will be good for me to go ahead and meet him before I make my decision and at least know what's going on with the program."

jbcarol

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc  5h5 hours ago
Elliott said report the staff has been told not to take any more commitments to save for next staff is not accurate.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brian T. Smith ‏@ChronBrianSmith 2h2 hours ago

.@Joseph_Duarte UH takes first step toward sweetening Herman's contract http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/cougars/article/UH-takes-first-step-toward-sweetening-Herman-s-6639887.php ... via @HoustonChron

jbcarol

Joseph Duarte Verified account
‏@Joseph_Duarte

. @UHHouston BOR approves increase to $3 million annual salary for @CoachTomHerman

How much did the Ball Coach make?

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 16h16 hours ago

SportsTalk Retweeted zack long

$4,028,600

NoNC4Tubs

Lane Kiffin would be a perfect fit there - brash and offensive minded, just like Spourrier was... 8)

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks 3h3 hours ago

Elliott makes his case for keeping job as USC head coach http://scne.ws/Cnxq84 

QuoteThe moment Shawn Elliott was named South Carolina's interim head coach, he was fighting an uphill battle to keep the job.

The list of college head coaches who got the job on a permanent basis is short. In fact, when the University of Minnesota named Tracy Claeys the permanent head coach last month, shortly after naming him interim head coach following Jerry Kill's retirement, Claeys became the first interim to get the full-time job at a major school since Dabo Swinney did it at Clemson in 2008.

The long odds haven't dampened Elliott's enthusiasm for the job, and he's trying not to think too far ahead as his Gamecocks prepare to face The Citadel on Saturday at noon at Williams-Brice Stadium.

"Everything is different with probably each and every coach, but from my standpoint, I've tried to stay as focused as can be," Elliott said.

Elliott took over a team that was 2-4 overall and 0-4 in the SEC, and South Carolina is 1-3 since Steve Spurrier's resignation. The Gamecocks have beaten Vanderbilt and lost to Texas A&M, Tennessee and Florida under Elliott's watch.

"I told my wife on Sunday night, 'You know the wins haven't been there, but I've had the time of my life,' " Elliott said. "I've really enjoyed doing this and being the interim head football coach. I will continue doing that until my time has come to an end or until a decision has been made that maybe I move forward."

South Carolina has been within a score of its opponent in the fourth quarter in each of Elliott's games...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on November 20, 2015, 03:33:52 pm
GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks 3h3 hours ago

Elliott makes his case for keeping job as USC head coach http://scne.ws/Cnxq84 

Start getting that resume' together

Jack The BN

I think if they're serious about winning in the future then they need to take a strong look at Rick Laweson. He's really their only shot at consistent success.

If they are lucky they could end up with Tim Duchamps as Offensive Coordinator.
I am fully cooperating with this investigation and looking forward to clearing my name

jbcarol

SEC Network ‏@SECNetwork 15m15 minutes ago

Alabama DC Kirby Smart has emerged as the leading candidate for the South Carolina job. (via @ClowESPN)

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 3h3 hours ago Connecticut, USA

Smart has always been at or near the top of South Carolina's list. With Herman out, Smart is the focus. But if Georgia opens ...

Herman liked Tanner, had interest in the job, but ultimately decided it was best for him to sit pat. Coaching landscape about to shift.

jbcarol

Lorenzo Nuñez ‏@Zodabeast10 Nov 22

I was hurt in Missouri game..never 100%..reinjured in FL game. I didnt practice all week. Looking forward to full recovery.#gococks

Josh Kendall ‏@JoshatTheState Nov 22

Shawn Elliott on Nunez: "This day and age it seems people can just walk up and say, 'You know what? I think I'm going to sit this one out.'"

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Jack The BN on November 24, 2015, 11:02:39 pm
I think if they're serious about winning in the future then they need to take a strong look at Rick Laweson. He's really their only shot at consistent success.

If they are lucky they could end up with Tim Duchamps as Offensive Coordinator.

Saying only one specific coach is any schools only shot at consistent success is dumb.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

USC Coaching Search: Who's hot! Who's not! (Version 6.3)

QuoteUPDATE 11/26)  On this Thanksgiving night, can't help but talk a little turkey about the search.  And look who's back on our board.  We've heard enough today to conclude USC and Tom Herman is not a dead issue...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on November 27, 2015, 04:25:45 pm
USC Coaching Search: Who's hot! Who's not! (Version 6.3)

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC 15m15 minutes ago

Report: Houston's Tom Herman "killed the South Carolina thing" http://trib.al/gV0sot6

Quote"We had a meeting at the start of the week, and he said, 'I'm not going to talk to anyone about any other job or be in communication with anyone, because I have a task at hand,'" WR Ayers said. "I don't know what other jobs he'd been talked about with. But he for sure told us he killed the South Carolina thing. He told us this is where he wanted to be, and if anything happens, it's not gonna be right now."

"This is important to him right now," Ayers added. "I think the guys really appreciated that."

Herman is 11-1 in his first season as Houston's coach. Last season he served as Ohio State's offensive coordinator under Urban Meyer.

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com ‏@gogamecocks  7h7 hours ago
South Carolina coaching search: Three names to watch http://scne.ws/Csc8rJ  #thestate #gg

QuoteKirby Smart...

Tom Herman...

Larry Fedora...

jbcarol

Aaron Suttles
‏@AaronSuttles

Saban says to ask Kirby Smart about his job opportunities.

Kirby Smart is not available to speak with the media per Nick Saban rules.

jbcarol

Joseph Duarte Verified account
‏@Joseph_Duarte

Coach Tom Herman says he has 'agreed in principle' on contract with @UHCougarFB

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 13m13 minutes ago

Report: South Carolina interested in Will Muschamp as head coach http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/report_south_carolina_interested_will_muschamp_head_coach.html ...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 25m25 minutes ago

#Auburn DC & ex #UF coach Will Muschamp is getting some consideration from #SouthCarolina for its HC vacancy, source tells @FoxSports.

hobhog

Quote from: jbcarol on November 30, 2015, 01:31:30 pm
Brandon Marcello ‏@bmarcello 13m13 minutes ago

Report: South Carolina interested in Will Muschamp as head coach http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2015/11/report_south_carolina_interested_will_muschamp_head_coach.html ...

Bruce Feldman ‏@BruceFeldmanCFB 25m25 minutes ago

#Auburn DC & ex #UF coach Will Muschamp is getting some consideration from #SouthCarolina for its HC vacancy, source tells @FoxSports.

Muschamp would beyond weird. Zero HC resume. He can't win at UF but can at USCe?

Hawghiggs

South Carolina should hire Mark Richt or Rich Rodriguez.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell ‏@Carvell_AJC  5h5 hours ago
Report: UGA's Jeremy Pruitt is a candidate for South Carolina job http://trib.al/Uzowe9q

jbcarol

All shook up?

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 1m1 minute ago South Carolina, USA

Kirby Smart didn't go to Alabama (sic) because Ray Tanner "blew it," it he went because that's his alma mater and that's a better job.

SportsTalk ‏@sportstalksc 49s49 seconds ago South Carolina, USA

Smart to UGA, from Alabama I should say. Point stands.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Chris Low ‏@ClowESPN 1h1 hour ago Connecticut, USA

Whoever South Carolina hires -- Muschamp, Riley or somebody else -- they'd be wise to bring back Ellis Johnson as DC.

If Gamecocks are going to hire a coordinator, why not @CoachSBeamer? Look at the players they pulled in when he headed up recruiting.

Hawghiggs

I really would like South Carolina to hire Rich Rodriguez.  His style of play would be great for the SEC east.