Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

#5 Washington recruits- we can too

Started by twistitup, October 13, 2017, 10:50:45 am

Previous topic - Next topic

twistitup

October 13, 2017, 06:25:22 pm #100 Last Edit: October 13, 2017, 08:06:15 pm by twistitup
Quote from: OneTuskOverTheLine™ on October 13, 2017, 05:32:12 pm
Every Western Canadian that plays american football that wants to go to the NCAA can get a shot there too. Their are many southern transplants of the athletic nature up there as well as pacific islanders. The area is not slouchy for talent. Rankings are still bullcrap. Sure you have the Bama evidence, but for the past 20 years the U's of T, Texas and Tennessee, have been right up there in those rankings too...

Speaking of Pacific Islanders - there is a large population of them in the Trinity - HEB school district in Texas - they are good football players and I can't believe we haven't tapped into that for our Oline.

We have watched them play for years - very large, skilled, aggressive individuals. They love to go to the Northwest to play, but that is who recruits them. We need to tap into that pipeline...w family in Dallas, it would be a natural choice for some of them.

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

razorbackred1

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 10:50:45 am
If they can compete nationally we can too

Pacific NW...getting it done

Winning breeds winning and better recruits, losing breeds losing and less talented recruits ..... it ain't rocket science!!!!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on October 13, 2017, 11:24:26 am
Crap OOC schedule and their recruiting is better than most of their division.  They don't have less than most of the teams they are playing.
Exactly.  Don James had that program rolling for many years.  Recruited California hard.  That was when Oregon and stanford both were not very good.  Only competition was really USC and sometimes UCLA.  Wash has a good team but they have not played anyone yet.  Their tougher opponents are in the back half of the season.  And their OOC schedule is pathetic. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: lakecityhog on October 13, 2017, 05:54:30 pm
You can drive 3hours, 4hours or 5 hours and you can draw circles and you can compare population all you want, but facts are facts.

Rivals Team rankings

Arkansas               Washington
2014                   29                           37
2015                    25                          30
2016                    37                          30
2017                     24                         23
So on average we are just as good and maybe a bit better when it comes to recruiting talent. Now the other fact that has to be considered is that we play in the SEC and they play in the PAC12. According to what I read is that we recruit right around #10 in the SEC??? But when you look at performance we play Auburn pretty even year in and year out. We beat Tennessee at their place a year or so back. We have beat Ole Miss pretty often and over the last 10 we are pretty close to even with LSU.

To me this proves a couple of things, COACHING MATTERS and our talent level is VERY close to MOST of the teams in the SEC. The talent difference between #15 nationally and #25 nationally is easily overcome with coaching and roster management.
The talent discrepancy between Arkansas and Bma/UGA/usually LSU/usually Auburn is much greater than the gap between Washington and some combination of Oregon/Stanford/Wazzu, etc.  USC is by far the most talented team in Pac 12 in most years and UW is probably second now even though their recruiting rankings are in mid 20s or worse.  Just look at NFL players drafted. 

Adam Stokes

He has done a great job overall, but lets not pretend that this Washington team has done anything amazing this year just yet. Their best win is ranked #45, and all of our loses have come to teams better than that. We could very well be undefeated with that pathetic schedule. They could go 9-0 with that schedule and lose their last three once they run into half-decent competition.

http://realtimerpi.com/college_football/ncaaf_conf_Men.html

southarkhog06

Honestly recruiting hasn't been the major problem, it has been player development and roster management.

jdlew

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 04:11:46 pm
Thanks Jst.....that is KC, Dallas, Ft. Worth, Shreveport, Memphis, OKC, Tulsa, St. Louis, eastern KS, NE Texas, N. Louisiana, etc.....

If we can't do it - it's our own damn fault

We have never had a coach that  recruited in the top 10 and never will....I've been waiting for that hire since Frank Broyles..

twistitup

Quote from: southarkhog06 on October 14, 2017, 08:48:13 am
Honestly recruiting hasn't been the major problem, it has been player development and roster management.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: Idahog on October 13, 2017, 11:01:15 am
I've lived in both places, both are extremely beautiful.  Unless you were trying to make a poor little ole arkansas crack?  Arkansas has what it needs to compete in modern times, as proven by Houston Nutt and Bobby Petrino.

I agree. But the Little Rock area school district athletic programs have to get their act together before we can do it consistantly. We need more in state talent, and a good part of that should come from our largest metro.

twistitup

thebignasty

You can drive 3hours, 4hours or 5 hours and you can draw circles and you can compare population all you want, but facts are facts.

Rivals Team rankings

So on average we are just as good and maybe a bit better when it comes to recruiting talent. Now the other fact that has to be considered is that we play in the SEC and they play in the PAC12. According to what I read is that we recruit right around #10 in the SEC??? But when you look at performance we play Auburn pretty even year in and year out. We beat Tennessee at their place a year or so back. We have beat Ole Miss pretty often and over the last 10 we are pretty close to even with LSU.

To me this proves a couple of things, COACHING MATTERS and our talent level is VERY close to MOST of the teams in the SEC. The talent difference between #15 nationally and #25 nationally is easily overcome with coaching and roster management.

We have lost to Aubbie by about a hundred the last couple of years.
Quote from: IronHog on March 22, 2016, 02:08:54 pm
They shoot family in Bama
But they win
Quote from: nuttless hog on January 13, 2021, 04:03:02 pm
take me almost all day to get it up to ride it 5 minutes

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: jcbville on October 13, 2017, 10:55:16 am
"If it can be done at Clemson it can be done at Arkansas"---Terry Don Phillips
The states of South Carolina and Georgia are loaded with talent. I've never understood this comparison of Clemson (or South Carolina) to Arkansas in terms of recruiting.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: East TN HAWG on October 13, 2017, 10:52:01 am
Amazing what making the playoffs will do for a program.
and lets not forget Chris Peterson. I would say that he is an example of a coach who can take less and do more with it.  Some coaches, very few, are like him.  Arkansas desperately wanted him but he wasnt interested. Getting to the playoffs certainly does help but they got to the playoffs because of Chris Peterson and as much as I like BB as a person, he is no where near the football coach that Peterson is.

MemphisBossHog

Rivals Team rankings

I would love to believe that our talent level is CLOSE to most teams in the SEC but after seeing us on the field with other SEC teams, I just cant.  We have players in some positions that are really good.  Everybody is not bad, but its the depth that kills us.  I mean we get absolutely jazzed when a 4 star recruit is considering ARK while Bama, LSU, Auburn, Georgia and FLA are stockpiling 4stars and racking up 5 stars. We just arent on their level.

Grizzlyfan

I love what Mike Leach has going at Washington State right now. But before we get too excited about the level of players being recruited to the Pac 12 take a look at the WSU defensive line.  they look like SEC tight ends.  There is a different breed of athlete on the OL and DL in the SEC.

ChicoHog

Quote from: twistitup on October 24, 2017, 05:14:02 pm
Top 15-20 will work if we are properly developing players
Correct.  And not miss on a bunch.  And most importantly have top talent at QB (one who can run and pass), CB and DL.  And of course an OL that can block!!

ChicoHog

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on October 26, 2017, 10:17:14 am
I love what Mike Leach has going at Washington State right now. But before we get too excited about the level of players being recruited to the Pac 12 take a look at the WSU defensive line.  they look like SEC tight ends.  There is a different breed of athlete on the OL and DL in the SEC.
Mike Leach is a "does more with less" guy.  You have to do that at Wazzu.  And your competition is not getting a bunch of 5 star guys either so it will work to some extent.  Leach is a poor recruiter.  Would never work at Arkansas because our competition are almost all good to great recruiters.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: twistitup on October 13, 2017, 11:14:27 am
We are talking about the proximity to fertile recruiting grounds - we are in the middle of it.

Seattle - not so much....being close to home usually means something~

In addition, football players probably have their eye on the NFL and are not all that concerned w the natural beauty, quality of pot and liberal attitudes....otherwise WA would recruit #1 instead of Bama.

Bama doesn't recruit #1 because it's beautiful in Alabama

You mean those college student's don't have boats and hoe's waiting on those lakes on the Tennessee river.!?
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

jackflash

not many  coaches are going to want to coach in the SEC. It can get you fired quickly. were not going to get many 5 star recruits its that simple. Can we recruit better yes but not like AL, LSU or GA maybe Tennessee

oldfart

Quote from: hoglady on October 13, 2017, 12:06:22 pm
And don't forget Mike Leach's Washington St team is #8 and #9 in the polls - also standing 6-0.
and drawing kids to pullman WA is infinitely more difficult than to NWA

justmakeit2thebcs

"I couldn't finish in the top half of recruiting in the SEC if I were at Arkansas"----Nick Saban