Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Bret Bielema v Butch Jones 2012

Started by cjack, October 31, 2017, 10:19:26 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

cjack

There are plenty of fans that believe, if Tennessee and Arkansas both have new coaches next year, we would get the lesser candidate.  I would guess a lot of that group also are part of the little old Arkansas/ we can't compete group.

Both schools hired coaches days apart in 2012.  Didn't the experts agree for the most part that CBB was the better of the two back then?
Woooo Pig Soooie!

Michael D Huff AIA

I think it comes down to WHEN each school fires their coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: cjack on October 31, 2017, 10:19:26 pm
There are plenty of fans that believe, if Tennessee and Arkansas both have new coaches next year, we would get the lesser candidate.  I would guess a lot of that group also are part of the little old Arkansas/ we can't compete group.

Both schools hired coaches days apart in 2012.  Didn't the experts agree for the most part that CBB was the better of the two back then?

Tennessee better job for the most part.  Doesn't mean a coach would choose them.  They may work from a different candidate pool in this next search. 

CBB was the better hire.  Tenn was also having issues then with having multiple former coaches on their payroll. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

Jones was the Norvell or Campbell of 2012. He had just won 19 games in the previous 2 seasons at Cincy. No one in college football thought that BB was even in play for anyone, but based on resume the two were not even comparable.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

nwahogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on November 01, 2017, 10:11:09 am
Jones was the Norvell or Campbell of 2012. He had just won 19 games in the previous 2 seasons at Cincy. No one in college football thought that BB was even in play for anyone, but based on resume the two were not even comparable.

I thought we won the sweep stakes when we got Beliema.  I still like the guy just not as our coach.

wildturkey8

As someone has pointed out, our last 2 hires were Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema (John L. as interim).  This poor lil ole me business is downright asinine.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 10:38:15 am
As someone has pointed out, our last 2 hires were Bobby Petrino and Bret Bielema (John L. as interim).  This poor lil ole me business is downright asinine.

Coaches who wanted out of their current situations.  Lou Holtz from the Jets similar. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

DiamondHogFan

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 10:41:36 am
Coaches who wanted out of their current situations.  Lou Holtz from the Jets similar.
This is a good point.  Do we try to go this direction again and find a more well known coach that just wants a change or an up and comer type that you convince to change?

smb

Well its been reported than Tennessee has offered Jon Gruden 10Mil. I don't think Arkansas can top that.
GeorgiaHOG

wildturkey8

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 10:41:36 am
When Holtz was hired the runner-up was Jimmy Johnson who was an up and comer at the time.  What would it be like if JFB had hired Johnson?  Anyone care for revisionist history?

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: smb on November 01, 2017, 10:49:35 am
Well its been reported than Tennessee has offered Jon Gruden 10Mil. I don't think Arkansas can top that.
Tennessee won't pay 10 million for anybody but Gruden.

The Hawg Marshal

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 10:49:36 am
When Holtz was hired the runner-up was Jimmy Johnson who was an up and comer at the time.  What would it be like if JFB had hired Johnson?  Anyone care for revisionist history?
+1

The_Iceman

Quote from: DiamondHogFan on November 01, 2017, 10:47:09 am
This is a good point.  Do we try to go this direction again and find a more well known coach that just wants a change or an up and comer type that you convince to change?

I would rather go with a Chad Morris type. Higher ceiling.

hawg1221

And slightly off the topic, but CBB has done a better coaching job than CBJ. Tennessee is in the weaker East with supposedly better talent than Arkansas.

Atlhogfan1

Jimmy was DC when Frank retired.  Wanted the job but wasn't an up and comer head coach yet.  That was later at Ok St when Hatfield was hired over him. 

wildturkey8

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on November 01, 2017, 10:56:09 am
Jimmy was DC when Frank retired.  Wanted the job but wasn't an up and comer head coach yet.  That was later at Ok St when Hatfield was hired over him. 
Not a HC but certainly a top assistant. 

Tusks

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 10:59:06 am
Not a HC but certainly a top assistant. 

He recruited and put tother that 77 defense that Monte coached.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

greenEGnHAWGS

Couple of things...

CBB was a better higher than Butch, but CBB wanted to work for Jeff Long and get away. A CBB situation where a top coach specifically wants to come here after a good season will most likely not happen ever again.

CBB has done a better job coaching than Butch as he plays in the lesser conference and has a roster with many more stars than us...but then again, he does have a lot of Championships (of life) over there...
Did they get you to trade a walk on part in the war, for a lead role in a cage...?

cjack

Quote from: wildturkey8 on November 01, 2017, 10:38:15 am

That was what I was getting at with the topic.  Even when we got the "better" of the two last time, we shouldn't have, it was a fluke, this reason, that reason, etc.

Woooo Pig Soooie!

311Hog

Quote from: greenEGnHAWGS on November 01, 2017, 11:40:30 am
Couple of things...

CBB was a better higher than Butch, but CBB wanted to work for Jeff Long and get away. A CBB situation where a top coach specifically wants to come here after a good season will most likely not happen ever again.

CBB has done a better job coaching than Butch as he plays in the lesser conference and has a roster with many more stars than us...but then again, he does have a lot of Championships (of life) over there...

CoL's Baby !

this is an interesting perspective really.  at the time we got the better hire on paper.  2 schools in similar yet different circumstances, 1 choose a "flavor of the month" coach the other got an "accomplished" coach from a P5 school.

The results IMHO are that AR has had better results, while TENN has had better recruiting classes.

and neither has done enough to keep their jobs.

DeltaBoy

I got one better we had Bear Bryant coming to the Hill until Japan bombed Pearl Harbor.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

woodrow hog call

Yes CBB was the better of the two back then, didn't work out but all of the experts saying they knew he was the wrong hire at the time, are full of it.

Take it one step farther and play what if, what if Saban had retired the same time CBP hit the ditch?

Out of the hires that year CBB at least gets a strong look from the tide, not saying he gets the job but, he comes a lot closer than Butch or some of these other guys, and he may have even got the job because his resume was good enough.

Anybody trying to blame JL for making a terrible hire is not dealing with real life.
"I hate rude behavior in a man, I won't tolerate it"

Pigasaurus

Jimmy thought he was going to get it. Other coaches put a sign on his door saying head coach.
"If I wanted you to know what I was thinking, I would be talking."  Al Bundy