Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Practice facility

Started by reddogjcss, January 20, 2014, 08:03:37 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

reddogjcss

Throwing this out to see what you think.
When we have the practice facility do you think they will play better on the road?
Now the practice court is BWA and home game is on the practice court.
When we have the new practice facility will it help or will it hurt? At least most practices will be on a different court!
I think it should help them play on the road better but worried they want have the same home court advantage we have today!
What's your thought?

nextlevel

Quote from: reddogjcss on January 20, 2014, 08:03:37 pm
Throwing this out to see what you think.
When we have the practice facility do you think they will play better on the road?
Now the practice court is BWA and home game is on the practice court.
When we have the new practice facility will it help or will it hurt? At least most practices will be on a different court!
I think it should help them play on the road better but worried they want have the same home court advantage we have today!
What's your thought?

The men's team can/will practice in BWA.

The practice facility fills a greater need for the women's team as it will help with their players and class schedules.

The practice facility will allow all players to work on their game on their own time when ever they want, basically.

It gives the coaching staff something every other coach in the SEC and schools who care about basketball already has.

The question is would Arkansas commit to building their version of the "coal dorm"?...
Quote from: GUVHOG on March 07, 2011, 11:26:42 am
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

reddogjcss

Hawg Red

You have to think it could only help.

root_hawg

Can't see how it would make any difference

tomw

I don't think it will make any difference in their play..probably screw up the home court

cmhogn

I think I'd set it up where not all rims are the same. Some looser some tighter. Anything to help the team improve their road record.

nextlevel

Quote from: root_hawg on January 20, 2014, 08:39:08 pm
Can't see how it would make any difference

You don't think these guys being able to go and practice their shot when ever they had the free time would make a difference?

Have you not watched the games everyone here is bitching about?
I'll make a prediction: If BCG were to get the Tennessee job, Calipari will be fired from UK within 2 years because from the 2013-2014 season on, Tennessee will own the SEC East until BCG moves on or retires.

ell oh ell

Arazorbackguy1

Pretty sure there would be no more practices in BWA with the addition of the practice facility.  Men or Women.

Hence the name, Practice Facility.
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

nextlevel

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 20, 2014, 09:28:39 pm
Pretty sure there would be no more practices in BWA with the addition of the practice facility.  Men or Women.

Hence the name, Practice Facility.

No, BWA would still be available for practices. It would allow both men's and women's teams to hold practices during the same time slot.

ell oh ell

swinesation

The practice facility will cure all the ills of our basketball program - at least according to most Jump Ball experts.

masshog2412

I think your on to something with setting the rim tightness to different levels.  How about painting the walls behind each goals "tightness" to match the different gyms in the sec

Hoggish1

It will help.  When your next games are on the road, you practice in the practice facility—simple. 

The_Iceman

razoredge178

Quote from: nextlevel on January 20, 2014, 08:08:58 pm
The men's team can/will practice in BWA.

The practice facility fills a greater need for the women's team as it will help with their players and class schedules.

The practice facility will allow all players to work on their game on their own time when ever they want, basically.

It gives the coaching staff something every other coach in the SEC and schools who care about basketball already has.

The question is would Arkansas commit to building their version of the "coal dorm"?...

Wow..... what big mouth full of inaccurate statements.

This isn't what Jeff Long has said, AT ALL. Go back and watch that long news conference he gave about the athletic facility expansion. A practice facility allows for both programs to hold practice, to have dedicated weight facilities, offices, video rooms, etc, etc etc.

Go back and listen to his radio interview with Bo Mattingly back in the Fall before the season began. He talked about MENS basketball and the need for a practice facility for the MENS basketball program, both for current players and recruiting purposes.

You think we're going to build a multi-million dollar practice facility so the mens team can have BWA to themselves? Well obviously you do, you just wrote it.

As to the the thread, the JB morning show this morning had some callers with interesting takes, and having played basketball, I think the thoughts were accurate. Our team, at the moment, exclusively practices and plays on the same floor, boards, goals, surroundings, etc. A new practice facility will offer an alternative environment, which works well in the business world, athletics, and most other things in life.

I'm excited at the idea that our MENS basketball program will soon have a great facility to practice in.

PonderinHog

Familiarity breeds content.

razoredge178

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 21, 2014, 09:52:50 am
Familiarity breeds content.

Exactly. If anyone practices more in BWA, it'll be women.

No offense women.

Pork Twain

Only based on high school experience but playing on the road was always a lot less about the gym and a lot more about the crowd, the energy, the calls and the travel.  Sure the rims felt different at every gym but that will be the case no matter where we practice.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

nextlevel

Quote from: razoredge178 on January 21, 2014, 09:59:58 am
Exactly. If anyone practices more in BWA, it'll be women.

No offense women.

They will have their own court/side of the facility.

The option for either to practice in BWA will exist, it isn't like Long is going to tell them no more practicing in BWA you have to use the PF.

What it will allow is both programs to not have to work around the other for practice time or access to the gym.

ell oh ell

PonderinHog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 21, 2014, 10:04:34 am
Only based on high school experience but playing on the road was always a lot less about the gym and a lot more about the crowd, the energy, the calls and the travel.  Sure the rims felt different at every gym but that will be the case no matter where we practice.
Have pre-game shootarounds been eliminated?  Didn't think so.  In other news Nebraska beat Ohio State last night.  Guess where.

nextlevel

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 21, 2014, 10:13:57 am
In other news Nebraska beat Ohio State last night.  Guess where.

Ohio St has been on a 4 game losing streak since beating Nebraska at home.

Nebraska has lost all 5 road games thus far.

ell oh ell

cardsNhogs

311Hog

We can't play any worse....

Pork Twain

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 21, 2014, 10:13:57 am
Have pre-game shootarounds been eliminated?  Didn't think so.  In other news Nebraska beat Ohio State last night.  Guess where.
Not at all and that is why I said it was not a big deal and that there were many other factors that had greater impacts
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

PonderinHog

Quote from: BeoPig™ on January 21, 2014, 10:44:03 am
Not at all and that is why I said it was not a big deal and that there were many other factors that had greater impacts
I was agreeing with you, Beo.  Definitely other factors at play here,  lack of a killer instinct being one.

RazorPiggie

I don't think people are understanding this. The Practice Facility will allow players a place they can go and hang out and allow them to practice on their own after hours. I remember Roteni going to a different gym in Fay to shoot at night when BWA wouldn't allow him to come in and shoot.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: cmhogn on January 20, 2014, 08:39:50 pm
I think I'd set it up where not all rims are the same. Some looser some tighter. Anything to help the team improve their road record.

I do like this idea as well.

Pork Twain

Quote from: PonderinHog on January 21, 2014, 10:49:32 am
I was agreeing with you, Beo.  Definitely other factors at play here,  lack of a killer instinct being one.
Sometimes it is hard to tell on here.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nextlevel on January 20, 2014, 09:32:47 pm
No, BWA would still be available for practices. It would allow both men's and women's teams to hold practices during the same time slot.

As would the design I saw of the practice facility.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nextlevel

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2014, 09:42:52 am
As would the design I saw of the practice facility.

Yes.

I meant the women's team could practice in the PF and the men's in BWA at the same time of the day, Women in BWA men in PF, both in PF.

People like to talk about the need, or lack there of, for such a facility and claim its only for recruiting purposes. That simply isn't true, it is a greater "need" for the women's program as it will allow them to schedule practice around class schedules like the Men's team does instead of classes around the practice schedule.

ell oh ell

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: nextlevel on January 22, 2014, 09:46:25 am
Yes.

I meant the women's team could practice in the PF and the men's in BWA at the same time of the day, Women in BWA men in PF, both in PF.

People like to talk about the need, or lack there of, for such a facility and claim its only for recruiting purposes. That simply isn't true, it is a greater "need" for the women's program as it will allow them to schedule practice around class schedules like the Men's team does instead of classes around the practice schedule.

O.K. Now I better understand where you were going with that. With the new PC though there really wouldn't be a need to practice in BWA at all unless you think that would help shooting % for familiarity.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

nextlevel

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2014, 10:07:02 am
O.K. Now I better understand where you were going with that. With the new PC though there really wouldn't be a need to practice in BWA at all unless you think that would help shooting % for familiarity.

There would not be a need, but there will likely be a want.

Same reason we have field turf instead of grass now in DWR-RS, Petrino wanted to practice in there, there was no need to practice in there with the 3 other fields available.

ell oh ell

Big Nasty 34

I think it will help a little practicing in two different spots. They will be forced to get used to different depth perceptions like on the road. I think that's the biggest thing with road games. Not the crowd, but the ability to lock in on a different target and shoot well.

nextlevel

Quote from: ZoneBuster34 on January 22, 2014, 10:36:40 am
I think it will help a little practicing in two different spots. They will be forced to get used to different depth perceptions like on the road. I think that's the biggest thing with road games. Not the crowd, but the ability to lock in on a different target and shoot well.

The difference in shooting percentages home/away would back this up...

ell oh ell

Genuine Mahawgony

If they put a hog at center court at the practice facility, they've made a big mistake.  Put UK or a gator at half court, pipe in drunken boos throughout the gym, and hold every single practice there.

Boston RedHogs

I think this doesn't get discussed enough.  Having the ability to practice on different courts, in different environments is an underrated aspect.

Many on here may disagree, but as someone who played college basketball (albeit D-2), gaining confidence on different courts and rims is a psychological plus when going out on the road.  When you know you can run your offense and knock down shots consistently outside of your given arena, you become a much more confident and dangerous team.

Again, I'm going to get people challenge my viewpoint, but as someone who played many years, I think what the practice facility offers in terms of a change of environment will start the help us on the road....

311Hog

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on January 22, 2014, 10:52:56 am
I think this doesn't get discussed enough.  Having the ability to practice on different courts, in different environments is an underrated aspect.

Many on here may disagree, but as someone who played college basketball (albeit D-2), gaining confidence on different courts and rims is a psychological plus when going out on the road.  When you know you can run your offense and knock down shots consistently outside of your given arena, you become a much more confident and dangerous team.

Again, I'm going to get people challenge my viewpoint, but as someone who played many years, I think what the practice facility offers in terms of a change of environment will start the help us on the road....

While i understand this logic, the thing i don't get is didn't these players play road games in high school?, what about pick up games in the Hyper, or AAU isn't that basically a continuous series of away/neutral site games?

I know the facility will "help" only because it couldn't possibly get much worse.  Something is wrong that honestly extends beyond Anderson's tenure here we sucked on the road before he even got here....

snortman

Quote from: RazorPiggie            (Matt D) on January 21, 2014, 10:50:00 am
I don't think people are understanding this. The Practice Facility will allow players a place they can go and hang out and allow them to practice on their own after hours. I remember Roteni going to a different gym in Fay to shoot at night when BWA wouldn't allow him to come in and shoot.

My question is are they going to be allowed to hang out in this new PF with there buds or entourages, who may or may not be a students at the U Of A, if so then that is a huge problem for the Coach and Admin.

If they allow this then they are going to be forced to let everyone at the college use it. Right?

nextlevel

Quote from: snortman on January 22, 2014, 11:24:46 am
My question is are they going to be allowed to hang out in this new PF with there buds or entourages, who may or may not be a students at the U Of A, if so then that is a huge problem for the Coach and Admin.

If they allow this then they are going to be forced to let everyone at the college use it. Right?

Is this allowed at the Football Operations Center?

ell oh ell

snortman

Quote from: nextlevel on January 22, 2014, 11:31:40 am
Is this allowed at the Football Operations Center?

I doubt it happens at 10:00 at night.

I don't think you will see buds out there in football pads practicing with them...NO. That's a stupid comparison. Mine is actually a legit question.

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: 311Hog on January 22, 2014, 11:17:19 am
While i understand this logic, the thing i don't get is didn't these players play road games in high school?, what about pick up games in the Hyper, or AAU isn't that basically a continuous series of away/neutral site games?

I know the facility will "help" only because it couldn't possibly get much worse.  Something is wrong that honestly extends beyond Anderson's tenure here we sucked on the road before he even got here....

Not all HS/AAU arenas/gyms were as open as college arenas are. It's a big adjustment for shooters. Look at the Maui stats. I think we shot better there because it wasn't as open of an arena, therefore, easier to focus and adjust to. JMO though.

umpqua

Where did the '94 team practice? Let the current team practice there.

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: 311Hog on January 22, 2014, 11:17:19 am

AAU is basically glorified pick up games.  Generally speaking, there's not a lot of structure there.

Now I'm not saying the practice facility is going to leapfrog the Hogs into road warriors overnight.  But I do believe that practicing in a different environment gets you out of your comfort zone and helps you build confidence away from your home gym.  I've actually advocated for years that we should schedule more non-conf road games.  I know the small schools get a paycheck from us and the UofA would miss out on the lost revenue from fewer home games, but I think this would help us tremendously.  Why beat an inferior team at home by 20-30+ points 6-8 times per year when you can take the show on the road for 2 of those and get used to playing on the road?

I'm just not one who believes in the Hoosier's scene where Norman Dale measures the 15ft from the FT line to the rim, and the 10ft from the rim to the court and says all is well because it's the exact same measurments as the gym back in Hickory.  If it were that simple, road winning % for teams would be much higher on average. 

There is no doubt a psychological element to playing on the road and we don't do much in the non-conference portion of the season to prepare for that save a few neutral site games over the years.  If we're not going to increase the rate at which we play games away from BWA in the non-conf slate, the least we can do is get out of there for some practices.

Confidence on 2 courts is way better than confidence on just 1......

PonderinHog

I think MA should tase a couple of them when they screw up on the road.  Maybe that'll get their attention.

RockChalkJayhawk

This is about way more than the ability to make a jump shot outside your own arena. A practice facility provides tangible amenities galore while providing players with the opportunity to develop individually.  This is the greatest benefit by far.  As for scheduled team practices, the coaching staff merely has to work around class schedules, nothing else.  The facility is wonderfully convenient and efficient.

And let us not underestimate the intangible results of players being able to spend time together.  Players lounges and study facilities, locker rooms, training rooms, film rooms, weight rooms, coaches offices - all housed in one neat facility or immediately nearby, really galvanize a basketball program. And make no mistake about it, the practice facility is all the rage and a must for recruiting nationally.  The ability to attract better players and provide for their development is something that must be on par with ones competitors.  Otherwise, it's a glaring point of weakness and can be used as a strike against.

This is not so much about loose rims, tight rims, shooting backgrounds or size of the place you are shooting in.  It's about repetition, footwork, drills, shoot-aways, ballhandling, individual work with 24/7 access. 

I spent a day at the Ole Miss practice facility this fall.  The lobby resembles that of a nice hotel.  Turn right to the women's area, left to the men's.  In the middle and shared is a huge dining area, training room and weight rooms.  Program sides include state of the art facilities, the locker rooms are plush and spacious, the player lounges are the same, equipped with tvs, x-boxes and computers.  Not to mention all the nutritional snacks, fruit, and sports drinks you could possibly want.  Help yourself!  The film room resembles a theater, and the control room is a techno-geek's nirvana. Their video staff will dvr every opponent game for scouting, and every NBA game for the purpose of teaching.  Coaches offices and meeting rooms are beside each gym and they are fantastic.  Players have 24/7 access with fingerprint technology allowing entrance. 
http://www.olemisssports.com/facilities/ole-facilities-basketball-practice.html

http://www.sportinglifearkansas.com/for-real-razorback-basketball-practice-facility-groundbreaking-set/
This 66,000 square foot facility is scheduled to open as the Home of Razorback Basketball in the summer of 2015. The Basketball Performance Center will house all operational components for the men's and women's basketball teams including: two full-court gymnasiums, men's and women's locker rooms, a weight room, an athletic training room, coaches' offices, team meeting rooms, student-athlete lounge and study areas and an equipment room. The University of Arkansas is currently the only Southeastern Conference program without a basketball practice facility.

"The Basketball Performance Center will give us the ability to hold practices and other team related activities at any time of the day independent of other scheduled events at Bud Walton Arena," Long says. "It will also allow tremendous flexibility in accommodating student-athletes academic schedules to help further assist them on their track to graduation. The everyday use of the Basketball Performance Center will also allow us to explore more frequent and diverse uses of Bud Walton Arena. Additional campus and outside events could bring significant additional economic benefits to our region even beyond the current estimated $1 billion economic impact affiliated with Razorback Athletics in the next five years."

The Razorback Basketball Performance Center is going to be a phenomenal asset to the program, and I look forward to touring it!

yraciv

For all those who still don't get why we need a practice facility, found this tweet from Kikko enlightening. We've entered the stretch where the Hogs have to go over to the Hyper or All Star to get shots in.

Kikko Haydar ‏@akaKikko  57m
To all those who oppose a practice facility: Hogs don't have BWA until June 9th.  Hard to get better without a gym

Quote from: yraciv on May 05, 2014, 03:00:40 pm
For all those who still don't get why we need a practice facility, found this tweet from Kikko enlightening. We've entered the stretch where the Hogs have to go over to the Hyper or All Star to get shots in.

To all those who oppose a practice facility: Hogs don't have BWA until June 9th.  Hard to get better without a gym
Why is that? Graduation ceremonies?

ricepig

Quote from: Karma on May 05, 2014, 03:10:01 pm
Why is that? Graduation ceremonies?

Yep, and WM shareholder meeting.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ricepig on May 05, 2014, 03:18:39 pm
Yep, and WM shareholder meeting.
That's so sad. If only Barnhill were available... ;) not starting that, just kidding
This'll all be over shortly once the facility is completed, and we'll never have such a conundrum here again.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

-Blu

Quote from: yraciv on May 05, 2014, 03:00:40 pm

Not a good look when you play basketball at a d1 high major school, and don't have access to work on your game 24/7.  Only positive thing I can think of to say about this is, the practice facility is coming, and hopefully they get priority at the Hyper whenever they need to work on their game.