Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

C-J Sports staff @sports_cj  ·  2 hours ago

UK academic center to expand http://cjky.it/1DkshUS  @kyletucker_cj

Stoops makes brief comments thanking Keeneland, Maker's Mark, says, "OK, let me turn it over to the undefeated guy." Then Cal takes mike

QuoteThe University of Kentucky athletic department announced Tuesday that Keeneland and Maker's Mark will partner with UK to help fund an expansion of the school's Center for Academic and Tutorial Services, which provides tutoring to student-athletes.

There will be a new CATS building constructed on the south side of campus – where many of the university's athletes live - within the new football training center.

Maker's Mark and Keeneland hope to raise $2 million to fund the project over the next five years through their own contributions and from the proceeds of sales of special commemoratives bottles of Maker's Mark bourbon...
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Adam Sparks @AdamSparks  ·  2 hours ago

BREAKING: #Vandy Memorial Gym's unique coach box to be extended up sideline http://tnne.ws/1DkCZuI 

Jerry Tipton @JerryTipton  ·  2 hours ago

Coaches will be able to roam about half-way toward half-court along the scorer's table sideline at Vandy starting next season.

Vandy's Memorial Gym is only D-1 game site which has benches behind baselines instead of along a sideline.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

holeinthewall

No remodel just destroy it. Orange Bowl was so much better for watching a game.  Taking out 10k seats.  4 huge video screens in each corner and a canopy to cover the seats.

jbcarol

The renovation of the O'Dome is a no-go for this year.

University of Florida officials announced late Wednesday they were putting off the ambitious renovation of the O'Connell Center by a year.

Construction was scheduled to begin on the 35-year-old athletic center in March after the end of the regular basketball season.

QuoteThe quick turnaround, rising costs, and replacing the construction management team led UF officials to announce the delay, UF spokeswoman Janine Sikes said.

"It just seemed like an opportunity to step back and look at it again, and that's what we're doing," Sikes said...

Two weeks ago, plans were still going forward to begin construction in March. UF Athletic Director Jeremy Foley was telling reporters that the reversal of fortunes in the football and basketball teams would have "no impact" on upgrades to the facilities.

"We remain 100 percent committed to this project," Foley said in a statement released Wednesday. "The $60 million that we have already earmarked for the project is indicative of this commitment."

The University Athletic Association expects to raise private donations to cover most of the cost of the project, which has increased from an estimated $45 million in June. UF was tapped for $10 million of the project's costs.

"The renovation proposal is a major renewal of one of our campus' most iconic buildings. It's incumbent on us to take the time and do it right," UF President Kent Fuchs said in a statement.

Billy Donovan's basketball team was going to play its fall schedule in 2015 at various neutral sites around the state, including Tampa, Orlando and Jacksonville, three cities where the Gators have played in the past.

choppedporkextrasauce

One of several dumps in the sec.

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Humphrey Coliseum, aka "The Hump"

Built: 1975
Seating capacity: 10,575

QuoteThe Hump was built in the 70's and has gradually been renovated over time. With a capacity of 10,575, it's the largest on-campus arena in Mississippi, and it will remain that even after Ole Miss' new arena, The Pavilion, opens in December. The Hump lies at the center of Mississippi State's athletics facilities, sandwiched between the baseball and football stadium.

The outside of The Hump isn't terrible–the oval shape is classic and somewhere on there is the school seal. The design is nice, and I appreciate that they didn't mess with that when they added on the 57,611 square foot, $11.2 million Mize Pavilion practice facility in 2011. The Mize Pavilion is adjacent to The Hump and was built from the same materials, albeit in a more modern style; however the two blend nicely together, and the Mize itself is gorgeous.

All of the 10,500 or so seats are chairbacks, a luxury lost on big arenas like Rupp. Because the arena is pretty small, there are no bad seats.

When I first heard of the genius that is the Dawg Snax in-seat food delivery system, I was excited. I daydreamed about fresh popcorn being delivered right to my seat with the flick of my phone. Unfortunately, Dawg Snax was not available last night, I guess because the staff was too busy mopping up muddy water and slush from the floors to deliver food...

jbcarol

NoNC4Tubs

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  1 hour ago

West side of Kyle Field as of Wednesday, March 4, 2015:

[vine]O0TrlDE6WvH[/vine]

RazorRick77

PORKULATOR

Its what you expect before you even click on it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

NoNC4Tubs

Is Kyle scheduled to be completed for the 2015 season?  8)

jbcarol

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on March 05, 2015, 06:59:31 am

Scheduled to be completed (August '15 grand opening) with contingency in place.

http://kylefield.com/faq

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on March 02, 2015, 08:01:26 am
Images for the Ole Miss Basketball Arena planned for First Quarter, 2016

When I first saw the renderings of it before I though "How long before they put up some sort of screen in front of those windows". I remember when we had too because of the sun shining in and blinding players shooting.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: NoNC4Tubs on March 05, 2015, 06:59:31 am

Wouldn't that be 18135 in aggie years?

jbcarol

LSU Baseball retweeted
AndyLSU2⃣0⃣2⃣0⃣ @Andygco16  ·  14 hours ago
#GeauxTigers #BeatHouston @LSUbaseball

LSU finds an accommodating park to host Houston.

jbcarol

GoGamecocks.com @gogamecocks  ·  10 hours ago
#Gamecocks set spring football practice schedule http://www.gogamecocks.com/2015/03/09/687

And most afternoon practices will take place at South Carolina's new practice fields at the back of Gamecock Park.

jbcarol

Seth Emerson @SethEmerson  ·  2 hours ago
While UGA showed six possible IPF locations in release today, continue to believe first choice is one mentioned here.
http://www.macon.com/2015/02/16/3589571/site-emerges-as-possibility-for.html ...

QuoteThe UGA athletic board is expected to take further action on the facility, four months after commissioning a design study at its previous quarterly meeting.

It is not clear whether the location for the facility will be formally approved, but one site has emerged as a possibility: The area just beyond the existing outdoor practice fields, off of Lumpkin Street, leading up to Stegeman Coliseum.

Other locations had not been ruled out as of last month: An off-campus area off Milledge Avenue, or tearing up one of the existing outdoor fields and building it there. But the location off Lumpkin seems a good compromise, keeping the existing facilities but not having it far from the Butts-Mehre building.

Athletics director Greg McGarity could not be reached for comment. But he and Butts-Mehre staffers have been considering the details over the past four months, including how extravagant to make it: Will it lean toward just the basics, which would still cost around $10 million minimum, or feature amenities that would increase the cost beyond that?

jbcarol

Gary Pinkel threw a bit of a wrench into Missouri's strategic facilities plan last fall when he told Mike Alden he would much have a newer, better south end zone complex -- complete with locker rooms, weight room, coaches' offices, the works -- than a new training facility.

Planning was already pretty far along for the training facility. The south end zone is still in the gathering funds phase.

That's where new Athletic Director Mack Rhoades comes in.

Quote"We've all got the same goals," Pinkel said. "That's what I liked today, about his energy level. We've got to build here. We're in the SEC here. We've got a great opportunity to put something here that's going to be special. You don't build like you're in other leagues. You build like you're in the SEC."

He doesn't expect to have to re-sell Rhoades on the future of Faurot Field like he sold Alden.

"I don't think I have to repeat it. We should be on the same page here," Pinkel said. "There should be no talking people into it. We're in the SEC. When you build this facility here, it's going to be remarkably important for our student-athletes but also for recruiting. And statements. All those recruits walk into all those football complexes and come away with an attitude and idea.

"What we have is really nice, but it isn't close to what we've got to have. So let's get going. We should all be on the same page about this. This shouldn't be that complex. And I think he is. I talked to him about that already. Guess what? He's known for doing it, too. That conversation is nothing but super positive for Mizzou football. If Mizzou football is doing well, it helps everybody."

It's something Pinkel has been hammering home for a while...

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  3 hours ago
I'll leave you with this from Pinkel: "I can get along with anybody, contrary to what people might believe."

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorRick77 on March 04, 2015, 07:41:48 pm
Bud Walton is a hell of a lot nicer than Rupp, but I'll take it http://greatamericansportsnetwork.com/ranking-the-sec-arenas/

O'connell and the tad pad are both rated too high. Rupp is not just a basketball only facility. Colonial is modeled after BWA.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on March 11, 2015, 08:53:03 am
O'connell and the tad pad are both rated too high. Rupp is not just a basketball only facility. Colonial is modeled after BWA.

Agree.  The Sad Pad is a colossal dump.  They've done what they can with it, but it is what it is.

The Pavilion should be great, though.  Maybe that will spur a round of investment in SEC basketball like we've been seeing in football.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The_Iceman

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  20 hours ago

12th Man Foundation faces lawsuit from three Ags over Kyle Field seating, via @dfbarron: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/03/ams-12th-man-foundation-faces-another-suit-in-kyle-field-seating-rights ...

QuoteAttorneys for three Texas A&M University former students filed a federal court lawsuit Wednesday morning against the fund-raising 12th Man Foundation, seeking to protect their decades-old ticketing and seating rights in the $485 million expansion of Kyle Field.

The lawsuit, filed in federal court in Marshall, accuses the foundation of reneging on endowment agreements dating back to the 1980s in an effort to coerce more money out of longtime university donors and A&M football fans. It also seeks class-action status to represent holders of about 450 donor agreements that account for about 1,700 seats at the stadium.

Several individual lawsuits have been filed in the Kyle Field reseating case, including several in Harris County, but this is the first, all-encompassing complaint against the foundation's redevelopment and reseating plan for the stadium's west side, which is ramping up in anticipation of A&M's 2015 football season.

Plaintiffs in the case are Sammy York of Kilgore, a 1974 A&M graduate who made a $20,000 endowment agreement with the foundation in 1983; Gregory Hayes of Mount Pleasant, a 1974 A&M graduate whose $30,000 endowment agreement with the foundation was signed in 1980; and Henry Holubec of Houston, a former member of the foundation's executive committee who reached a $30,000 endowment agreement with the foundation in 1985.

The lawsuit, filed by attorneys Debra Hayes of Kingwood and Carl Roth of Marshall, seeks a temporary restraining order and preliminary injunction against the 12th Man Foundation and asks the court to set aside the seat locations held by endowed donors from the Kyle Field reseating process that is expected to begin March 16...

jbcarol

Suzanne Halliburton @suzhalliburton  ·  7 hours ago
#SXSport panelist says A&M's new locker room like "bat cave," "night club" http://collegesports.blog.statesman.com/2015/03/15/texas-ams-new-lockerroom-like-a-night-club/ ... @statesman #sxsw

QuoteBrian Mirakian, principal and director of Populous Activate, provided his thoughts on "The New Cathedral: Sports Stadiums."

He acknowledged that parts of the newer college football stadiums are intended to attract the attention of recruits.

"You need a bold first impression," Mirakian said. "You need to tap into the psyche of a 17-year-old."

Populous, the architectural firm responsible for so many of the world's best stadiums and sports venues, designed the vast $450 million renovation of Kyle Field. The Aggie locker room was part of the project, which was completed last summer. The final part of the Kyle Field project is ongoing.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  41 minutes ago

Live at 9 with @Natalie_Pierre: Grant era over, and Coleman Coliseum, soon-to-be SEC's "best home court advantage?" http://ow.ly/Kog1A

QuoteThe Anthony Grant era at Alabama has officially come to an end after six years, the university announced on Sunday.

But this may be the most interesting thing that athletic director Bill Battle said in Alabama's official statement: "Today's decision is part of a larger evaluation of every facet of our basketball program that is intended to improve every aspect of our basketball program. A key component in that effort is to get all of our fans pulling in the same direction, and to make Coleman Coliseum the best home court advantage in the SEC."

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  7 hours ago
The Chronicle's @dfbarron all over any Kyle Field lawsuit news, latest filed in federal court: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/New-Kyle-Field-seating-lawsuit-filed-in-Florida-6146698.php ...

QuoteThe legal dispute between donors to Texas A&M University's 12th Man Foundation over ticketing and parking issues at the university's revamped Kyle Field has been moved from a federal court in Marshall to a federal court in Fort Lauderdale, Fla.

The new lawsuit, filed under the name Jane Doe by an unidentified A&M former student living in Fort Lauderdale who donated $30,000 to the foundation beginning in 1983 while she was a student at A&M, was filed in Florida in an effort to meet federal guidelines that would enable the case to be certified as a class action suit involving almost 500 permanently endowed donors to the foundation.

Jane Doe, according to the lawsuit, would have had to pay more than $80,000 over her lifetime to retain her two seats in the same location of the revamped Kyle Field. Since she could not afford the extra payments, according to the suit, she will have to settle for seats in a less desirable location.

Work on the revamped stadium, estimated to cost about $480 million, is expected to be completed for the beginning of the 2015 football season.

Both suits were filed by Houston attorney Debra Hayes, who said the Florida suit was filed under the name Jane Doe to protect her client from potential threats by foundation officials that were reported by one of the plaintiffs in the Texas lawsuit and a Houston attorney.

"Our client believes that an Aggie's word should be his bond. Promises should be kept," Hayes said. "The promises made to our client when she entered into her permanently endowed scholarship agreement were made by an Aggie to an Aggie. ... She just wants the Aggie Code of Honor upheld. Integrity should be more important than fundraising."

Hayes described the lawsuit as a "struggle for the soul of Aggie culture"...

jbcarol

Robbie Andreu @RobbieAndreu  ·  22h 22 hours ago

Rain likely to delay the start of today's UF practice. The Swamp is swamped

Need that IPF.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  15h 15 hours ago

The kiddos and their parents always, always appreciate Spencer's Corner in right field of Olsen Field:

jbcarol

Gators SC @GatorsSC  ·  Apr 3
#Gators Indoor Practice Field making some real progress now. (via @jkkruse)

jbcarol

Bruce Pearl retweeted
Auburn Tigers @AuburnTigers  · 

Things may be going well when you're adding seats for remainder of season. Just Ask @Auburn_Softball. #WarEagle

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 01, 2015, 10:48:14 am
Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  15h 15 hours ago

The kiddos and their parents always, always appreciate Spencer's Corner in right field of Olsen Field:

Very nice memorial! Kuddo's to the Aggies.

mizzouman

Well, a new chancellor and a new AD will apparently brings new changes to the Mizzou athletic facilities.

First is a new softball complex.  This has already been approved and ground breaking will begin soon.

Second, construction of a new complex connected to the south endzone at football stadium.  This will basically bring the entire football operations to the stadium.  Included are new locker rooms, new weight room and state of the art everything.  Yes, included in that will be a post game interview room..

Lastly, the baseball stadium is being tossed about.  Per Loftin and Rhoades, something will be done.  In the past, baseball was a third world sport at Mizzou.  But, per Loftin and Rhoades want to change that.  The SEC is too big in baseball not to do something.  There are 2 approaches.  One will be to improve the current stadium based on the teams performance.  The better they are, the improvements will come.  This has always been Mike Alden's approach.  Or, just build a state of the art complex..this is what Loftin and Rhoades would like.  They are in the "build it and they will come" attitude.  They want to build a Triple A or Double A comparable complex with a possible retractable roof so that games can be played in the rain and cold.  Apparently, they can get the funds.  We shall see about the roof.

jbcarol

Sam Khan Jr. @skhanjr  ·  2h 2 hours ago
First time in a bit that I've been on the north end of Kyle Field. That part of the reno apparently progressing well

jbcarol

Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  15h 15 hours ago

The new and improved (and expanded) Kyle Field is coming along.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 10, 2015, 07:37:30 am
Chris Low @ClowESPN  ·  15h 15 hours ago

The new and improved (and expanded) Kyle Field is coming along.

Now matter how "improved" the stadium is it will still be occupied by aggies....................................enough said.

jbcarol

Ross Bjork @RossBjorkAD  ·  Apr 8

Making great progress on the Pavilion at Ole Miss. Seating bowl is complete with precast sections. Great sight lines!

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on April 10, 2015, 10:48:01 am
Ross Bjork @RossBjorkAD  ·  Apr 8

Making great progress on the Pavilion at Ole Miss. Seating bowl is complete with precast sections. Great sight lines!

With as small as it's going to be nothing but great sight lines should be expected....................

jbcarol

Ross Bjork @RossBjorkAD  ·  4h 4 hours ago

Roof trusses being set in place for the Pavilion at Ole Miss. Skyline on campus is changing.....

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  Apr

... A&M fans -- Maroon & White Game will return in a year in all its spring glory: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2015/04/hang-loose-texas-am-fans-spring-game-to-return-to-kyle-next-year ...

QuoteFor a second straight year, A&M (wrapped) spring drills with a closed scrimmage (to fans and media) on its practice fields. The $485 million Kyle renovation is scheduled for completion in time for the Aggies' first home game, on Sept. 12 against Ball State.

Saturday's setting at the practice fields (was) a far cry from the atmosphere two years ago, when ESPN televised the Aggies' Maroon & White game, in showcasing 2012 Heisman Trophy winner Johnny Manziel.

"It was nationally-televised spring game, with 30,000 people here," Sumlin said, smiling. "From an exposure standpoint that's good, and from a fan experience standpoint, that's what you miss. (A spring game) is nothing we don't want to do, it's just out of necessity (right now).

"Next year, we'll have a spring game."

jbcarol

Kentucky Athletics @UKAthletics  ·  23h 23 hours ago

We made a stop by #TheNewCWS before the rains came. Construction continues to come along nicely.

Also chose not to hold a spring game.

jbcarol

Ross Bjork has set forth plans to both expand and renovate several of Ole Miss' athletic facilities through the Forward Together campaign.

QuoteOle Miss' new 9,500-seat basketball arena is expected to be completed in time for the start of next basketball season. The athletics department also plans to break ground this year on an expansion of the north end zone of Vaught-Hemingway Stadium, adding 3,500 seats.

jbcarol

Rhett Hobart @RhettHobart  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Thanks to the 13,004 fans who came out to Dudy Noble today. 10th largest on-campus crowd in NCAA baseball history.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Brandon Marcello @bmarcello  ·  21h 21 hours ago

Auburn upgrades locker room with new look. Check out the photos: http://ow.ly/M1HoA 

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  8h 8 hours ago

A&M Chancellor John Sharp said West Side construction of Kyle Field is on schedule (home opener is Sept. 12 vs. Ball State).

A&M chancellor John Sharp said the new cell phone system at Kyle Field should be able to "handle 100,000 calls simultaneously."

You can see Reed Arena right now from the new east side press box -- it'll be long hidden when Kyle west side done:

Suzanne Halliburton @suzhalliburton  ·  8h 8 hours ago

Cameras will be lower at Kyle Field so the tv view for folks at home will be much better.

jbcarol

Kyle Field better than Jerry World, says chancellor

A&M has invested serious money ($485 million) to give Kyle Field a nice facelift over the course of the past two years. When all is completed, Kyle Field will be better than a pair of NFL stadiums in the state of Texas, AT&T Stadium and NRG Stadium. Well, according to Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp at least.

Quote"This stadium is going to be the most impressive college sports venue in the country," Sharp said for a local news story on KBTX. That includes the two NFL stadiums that have taken up hosting college football games in the regular season and bowl season in recent years.

One of the notable upgrades to Kyle Field, other than more restrooms, is the expanded WiFi coverage inside the stadium, which Texas A&M claims will be able to handle 100,000 calls at the same time and save your phone's battery life from start to finish.

"If you come to the stadium with a full charge, it should last the whole game," Todd Christner, Director of Wireless Business Development for IBM/Corning, said.

Inhogswetrust

April 26, 2015, 08:35:29 am #1099 Last Edit: April 30, 2015, 06:29:44 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: jbcarol on April 26, 2015, 07:22:30 am
Kyle Field better than Jerry World, says chancellor

A&M has invested serious money ($485 million) to give Kyle Field a nice facelift over the course of the past two years. When all is completed, Kyle Field will be better than a pair of NFL stadiums in the state of Texas, AT&T Stadium and NRG Stadium. Well, according to Texas A&M chancellor John Sharp at least.

WOW! THAT was comedy gold! An Aggie thinks Kyle will be better than Jerry world and he is the Chancellor to boot! An Aggie and ONLY an Aggie could come up with that ludicrous and obviously galactically insane statement. The other funny part was the guy that was speaking about wifi and said IF you come to the game with a full charge it should last the whole game and he isn't even an aggie employee! Moral of the story is do NOT hang around aggies too much because their cult will rub off on you! I've been to hundreds of college games and even IF I didn't use the wifi at all it would not have a completely full charge by the end of the game. Besides that I don't sit in my seat texting or internet surfing all the time..........I watch the game!