Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC Athletics Facilities Race

Started by jbcarol, June 14, 2012, 12:01:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  10 hours ago
FDetails on 8 am Sunday morn Kyle Field west side implosion, including where to watch: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/12/kyle-
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

SEC Network @SECNetwork  ·  43 minutes ago

If you build it, they will come: http://bit.ly/1GQhlhq

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

NoNC4Tubs

Poor tinnersee fans!

The UT AD has just ordered 105,124 twelve-inch wide bleacher seats.......... 8)

jbcarol

Kentucky Athletics @UKAthletics  ·  3 hours ago

Wondering what's going on with #TheNewCWS? Demolition is your answer. Photo gallery: http://bit.ly/CWSupdate1217

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on December 16, 2014, 08:44:22 pm
Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  10 hours ago
FDetails on 8 am Sunday morn Kyle Field west side implosion, including where to watch: http://blog.chron.com/sportsupdate/2014/12/kyle-

Doing that to mimic the teams implosion I guess...............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Michael Carvell @Carvell_AJC  ·  2 hours ago
For #UGA fans wanting indoor facility (and they should), McGarity's comments here aren't exactly encouraging: http://on-ajc.com/13CMAAy

Mark Richt has also asked #UGA to build a "recruiting room" at stadium. That's a no-brainer...

Sometimes I wonder if #UGA AD realizes football pays most bills for overall athletic department

jbcarol

SEC Sports @SEC  ·  15 hours ago
VIDEO - Stadium upgrades help continue to boost #SEC football attendance: http://www.secsports.com/video/12040649/stadium-upgrades-spike-sec-attendance ...

Cresthog

Wow louisiana lafayette has an indoor facility and UGA doesn't?

That's shocking.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on December 18, 2014, 12:32:27 pm
SEC Sports @SEC  ·  15 hours ago
VIDEO - Stadium upgrades help continue to boost #SEC football attendance: http://www.secsports.com/video/12040649/stadium-upgrades-spike-sec-attendance ...

When I watched that and saw where Michigan only dropped 6% I was shocked it wasn't a bigger % drop than that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

Doug Gottlieb @GottliebShow  ·  5 hours ago
Please include all defensive game plans RT @BrentZwerneman:West Side of Kyle Field on Thurs, 3days before  implosion:

jbcarol

UGA's indoor facility wasn't a big deal, but now it is

As we know, the lack of an indoor practice facility has become a flashpoint for Georgia coaches, who believe they really, really need one to keep up with the Butch Joneses of the SEC. (Tennessee has one. Heck, so does Georgia Tech.) Here was McGarity's take:

Quote"Georgia spent $33 million on the addition (to Butts-Mehre Heritage Hall) that was completed in 2010. (McGarity started as AD in September of that year.) That was four years ago. That would have been the perfect time, if the emphasis was on an indoor building, to do it. That had been on the drawing board since 1999 and 2000 – that never got off the ground. I come in and I'm moving into a brand new building and the indoor facility was not on the radar.

"Let's fast-forward to 2013, to where it does become important. The first thing we do is talk about it; we have an allocation for the research for our athletic board, which was granted; we've selected an architect; we're in the programming stage right now. When we meet with our board in February, we should have more information on cost and location so we can start the fund-raising.

"Once it was identified as being really, really important — I don't know how important it was in 2009 or '10, but if it had been that important, it would have been done at that time – so while it wasn't that important and we played football outside and that's the elements we need ... (pause) ... things change. We react to that.

"There's a couple of other things that Mark really wants to do that just came to our attention like renovating the football locker room at the stadium and creating a recruiting room in the stadium. Well, once he made me aware of those two things, they were automatically put on our radar. But a lot of times it's got to be the coach expressing to us what's important. My question to coaches is, 'What can I do to help you?' And if I don't know about it, I can't predict what they want in that vein."

jbcarol

With the help of a record $12.5 million donation from an anonymous donor, construction on a new academic learning center for Florida athletes will begin in March.

QuoteThe donation is the largest individual gift to UF athletics. An additional $12.5 million in matching gifts will provide $25 million to enhance the program for tutoring, studying, academic advising, job placement and other services for UF's 480 student-athletes in 21 varsity sports.

Housed in Farrior Hall and formerly called the Office of Student Life, the program will now be named the Otis Hawkins Center for Academic and Personal Excellence.

Otis Hawkins

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  6 hours ago
R.C. Slocum, Billy Pickard reflect on west side of Kyle Field, set for implosion Sunday morn: http://www.houstonchronicle.com/sports/aggies/article/Longtime-Aggies-Slocum-Pickard-eagerly-await-5969982.php ... via @HoustonChron

QuoteThat means dropping the 10-story west side with explosives, carting off the rubble and putting the final touches on...

jbcarol

http://texags.com/s/15626/epic-slow-motion-view-of-kyle-fields-west-side-implosion

TexAgs @TexAgs  ·  4 hours ago
Kyle Field's west side is no more.

[vine]OX1IWhbuiUr[/vine]

Pulled(PP)pork

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  4 hours ago
Now that dust has settled people are starting to line up along Wellborn Road to see Kyle Field. Lot of melancholy in the crowd.

[vine]OXnlEvmIrlA[/vine]

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  4h 4 hours ago
Y'all will be happy to know statues survived implosion, including Jimmy Stewart Yell Leader #ItsAWonderfulLife:

John E. Hoover @johnehoover  ·  4 hours ago
@BrentZwerneman Hello you wonderful old swaying press box!!

ur

That first video could have been from the Friday morning announcement of two defensive commitments to Texas and another defensive decommitment from the ags. My hometown friend Charlie "Tub'' Strong taking back ownership of that state.
Swagcopter Down! 
Sorry Charlie, can't pull for you on the next game though.  :razorback: ::hornsdown::

Tejano Jawg

Pretty cool actually. I like watching stuff blow up.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

mizzouman

All of this money going into an average football program.  Getting out of control.  But if you have it, spend it.  It's good for the economy.

jbcarol

The University of Kentucky's renovated Commonwealth Stadium is on track to be finished in time for the first home football game of the 2015 season on Sept. 5.  (Photo gallery at link)

QuoteTony Neely, assistant athletics director at the University of Kentucky, said the $120 million renovation is still on schedule. Since the last home football game on Nov. 8, Neely said construction has been underway on parts of the stadium that were used during the season, such as the concourses, which include restrooms and concessions.

While that part of the project is focused on rebuilding, crews have been working on building the new parts of the stadium all year, including the new press box and suite boxes at the top south side of the stadium.

"The entire exterior stadium will have a new look," Neely said. "Some of that is already in place, featuring Kentucky limestone."

"It's going to bring a modern new look to the stadium," Neely said.

Charles Bertram

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

Rzbakfromwaybak

Wow.  Saw the video & at first thought that the NCAA had caught up with them & was finally making an example.....
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Hogfaniam

Quote from: mizzouman on December 22, 2014, 08:51:18 am
All of this money going into an average football program.  Getting out of control.  But if you have it, spend it.  It's good for the economy.

I don't like the Laggies, but I do respect the fact they show up for their team in above average numbers.  More than twice the average.
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

Torqued pork

Another weird Aggie tradition will probably spawn from that.

The world needs more weird Aggie traditions.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: mizzouman on December 22, 2014, 08:51:18 am

Until Pinkel arrived the same could have been said about Mizzou. No wait....they don't spend that kind of money then. Now they spend a little.

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  24 hours ago
I had missed this earlier from A&M athletics, every angle on Kyle Field west side implosion: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OFY0MGIRQUo&feature=youtu.be ...

HoGustav

Looking forward to seeing this every time Aggie drops a ball game for years to come.

jbcarol

Felizrau Navidad @zrau  ·  23 hours ago
Merry Christmas from Death Valley.

jbcarol

MEMPHIS, Tenn. — Questions about the future of the Texas A&M football program abound even as the Aggies enter Monday's AutoZone Liberty Bowl against West Virginia.

QuoteA&M is coming off a turbulent 7-5 regular season, in which it went 3-5 in the SEC, its worst showing in three years in the league.

Aggies will be more interested in what happens on the field Monday, and how A&M can take the ups-and-downs of this season and make use of them. And sooner than later, considering the $450 million plus poured into Kyle Field, Sumlin's $5 million a year pay and the highly ranked recruiting classes that demand the Aggies contend for an SEC title before long...

jbcarol

SportsTalk @sportstalksc  ·  Dec 28

The refurbished Citrus Bowl Stadium.

NoNC4Tubs

I wonder if the quicksand is still under the turf?  8)

jbcarol

Nice indoor practice facility:

Auburn Gold Mine @AUGoldMine  ·  24 hours ago
It's a rainy day in Tampa, so Auburn is practicing inside The Trop in St. Pete this Tuesday

jbcarol

From UK AD Barnhart's letter to fans

Quote...construction crews are working hard to prepare The New CWS for our season opener on Sept. 5. The stadium changes every week and I can't tell you how excited I am to show off our new home. With the renovation in progress and the plans we have for our new practice facility, we are taking great steps toward competing at the highest level in our conference as we all want to do.

With the new stadium opening and the momentum our staff and players have created, we know the next year is crucial. ...

On top of the stadium construction, we are working as a department to take our game on game day to the next level. As part of our BBN First initiative, we continue to engage with the Disney Institute to take lessons from one of the world's leaders in customer service and apply them to what we do. Our first step has been to take a close look at our internal culture and we are already gaining valuable insight into what we can do better.

BBN First, in large part, came about as a result of us realizing as a department that the way fans enjoy sports is different than it ever has been before, but the landscape of college athletics is changing in more ways than just that...

jbcarol

Quote from: jbcarol on December 21, 2014, 12:12:33 pm
http://texags.com/s/15626/epic-slow-motion-view-of-kyle-fields-west-side-implosion

TexAgs @TexAgs  ·  4 hours ago
Kyle Field's west side is no more.

[vine]OX1IWhbuiUr[/vine]

Brent Zwerneman @BrentZwerneman  ·  4 hours ago
Kyle Field west side as of Saturday January 3, 2015:

[vine]OdJJ3EDDQFW[/vine]

jbcarol

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  8 hours ago
The Grove Bowl has been moved back one week to April 11 due to construction plans with the Vaught-Hemingway Stadium renovation.

jbcarol

Ben Garrett @SpiritBen  ·  Jan 10
The lights are out. Tad Pad gonna Tad Pad.

WIN RT @OleMissAF: Annual "Lights Out" game at the Tad Pad.  Support #ForwardTogether and the Pavilion by donating at ...

You say the Tad Pad is a dump? Pete Boone says it's charming, duh.

A "campus power glitch" knocked out the power, we're told. Should be back up in 15 minutes. And then the boos came, and I laughed.

jbcarol

AL.com sports @aldotcomSports  ·  14 hours ago

Updating progress on Sewell-Thomas Stadium renovation as Alabama baseball project hits milestone. http://ow.ly/Hlg32

QuoteThe $42.6 million renovation and expansion of Sewell-Thomas Stadium hit its first milestone Wednesday.

The indoor hitting/pitching facility was dedicated in a ceremony attended by more than 100 program supporters, current and former Alabama baseball players.

Athletics director Bill Battle and coach Mitch Gaspard said the massive project was on schedule for the 2016 re-opening of the ballpark.

As the progress was celebrated inside, construction work continued outside. Since demolition began last summer, the stadium has been almost completely gutted. The press box, clubhouse and several seating sections are gone and the rebuilding process is underway.

As a result, the 2015 season will be played at the Hoover Met. The opener is less than a month away with Maryland Eastern-Shore coming to suburban Birmingham on Feb. 13.

The Tide can still use the Sewell-Thomas field for practice, but it's definitely a work zone. A portion of the right field grass is taken up by construction and the dugouts are unavailable. The last phase of construction, rotating the field slightly, will take place after the 2015 season is complete.

jbcarol

Rhett Hobart @RhettHobart  ·  57 minutes ago

It's almost that time.. First lounge of the season has arrived at Dudy Noble. 29 days to go. #HailState

jbcarol

Matt Jones @KySportsRadio  ·  22 hours ago
As Stoops said on KSR 3 weeks ago RT @jenheraldleader: BREAKING: Kentucky will not host 2015 Blue-White Spring Game. http://ukfootball.bloginky.com/2015/01/16/kentucky-will-not-host-a-blue-white-spring-game/ ...

QuoteConstruction at Commonwealth Stadium is going to keep UK from having its annual Blue-White spring game this April, a team spokesman told the Herald-Leader on Friday afternoon.

The school looked at multiple off-campus venue options as the school finishes up a $120 million renovation project at Commonwealth Stadium, but several factors made those unfeasible...

jbcarol

OleMissAthFoundation @OleMissAF  ·  Jan 16
#ForwardTogether campaign surpasses $130 million! On our way to our goal of $150! Thank you to members everywhere!

jbcarol

David Morrison @DavidCMorrison  ·  17 hours ago

Blog: A running transcription of Mike Alden's presser today- http://bit.ly/1CMCDvG .

QuoteHow are the softball complex and south end zone renovations coming along?

"With the softball complex, that project should be going in front of the board of curators the week after next for approval to be able to move forward with the architect we'll be recommending to design the new softball complex. Remember, that softball complex is going to be designed and built on the east side of the Hearnes Center. From a financing, funding standpoint, we're in good shape with all of that. It's all subject to approval by the board.

"With regards to next steps on the end-zone complex, that's something that still needs to be approved by the board of curators in concept. That will not take place at these next meetings, but that's something that we're hoping to be able to get that out for approval in the next, I don't know exactly what meetings those will be, but it will be in the near future."

jbcarol

Edgar Thompson @osgators  ·  5 hours ago

Gators announce plans to build a $15 million indoor practice facility, featuring a 120-yard field

UF estimates 30 practices in 2014 were impacted by weather. Advanced lightning detection is one reason the number has risen.

Bad weather, O'Dome renovations and coach Jim McElwain were driving forces behind #Gators new IPF: http://bit.ly/1xy1zUf

Reports that the IPF will be completed by September.

jbcarol

Jay Jacobs @jayjacobsauad  ·  2 hours ago

Fantastic upgrades to the auditorium. Our student athletes are going to love it! #WarEagle

NoNC4Tubs

Quote from: jbcarol on January 21, 2015, 02:44:34 pm
Jay Jacobs @jayjacobsauad  ·  2 hours ago

Fantastic upgrades to the auditorium. Our student athletes are going to love it! #WarEagle

A monster screen is considered a huge upgrade?!? (Everyone has these.)  8)

jbcarol

Jerry Jones, wife donate $10.65 million to Arkansas athletics

QuoteA portion of Jones' eight-figure gift will be utilized for what's described as "a Wild Band of Razorbacks monument to establish a permanent tribute" to that title-winning team. The monument "will consist of six Razorbacks, accented by custom lighting and water features... will be approximately 20 feet high and 30 feet wide, with bronze Razorback hogs six feet tall and 12 to 14 feet long."

The six Razorbacks will symbolize "individual characteristics indicative of the University of Arkansas and the Razorback Nation – Passion, Courage, Victory, Integrity, Unity and a Relentless Nature."

In addition to the monument, the gift will support football team locker room at the Fred W. Smith Football Center; the soon-to-be-completed Student-Athlete Success Center; and the entrance lobby of the Student-Athlete Success Center.

jbcarol

OleMissAthFoundation @OleMissAF  ·  4 hours ago

Great shot of the Pavilion at Ole Miss. Coming along nicely & the bowl is starting to take shape! #ForwardTogether

jbcarol

Alligator Army @AlligatorArmy  ·  Jan 21

Florida's $15M IPF is a win for the #Gators — and a bigger one for Jim McElwain. http://sbnation.com/e/7630104 

jbcarol

Chris Clark @GCChrisClark  ·  4 hours ago

RT @GamecocksOnline: Latest views of the construction progress on the new indoor practice facility in Gamecock Park!

jbcarol

Kyle Tucker @KyleTucker_CJ  ·  43 minutes ago
Colonial Life Arena is one of the nicest in the SEC.

Hogfaniam

This is such a good thread. Thx for the info jb
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"