Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Worst Part of All This...

Started by Breems, December 07, 2014, 10:08:43 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Breems

Is that we have to wait until January 6th to see if tonight was hangover from ISU or signs of season-long plagues.

I hate these long stretches of home games against Northern Southeast Westward University of San Diego North Southern. Since Mike came to town and made these home games exciting again, he's ruined the excitement for me. I'm only concerned with big home games and all road games now.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

TexArkHogFan

I think playing Dayton Saturday will tell us a lot.  If we blow that one, it's gonna be another long year. 
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Breems

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on December 07, 2014, 10:12:38 pm
I think playing Dayton Saturday will tell us a lot.  If we blow that one, it's gonna be another long year. 

I don't think we'll learn anything from that game. 10-15 point win.

Danny J

Well....I figured it would be towards the end of January before I thought we would really gel as a team. I still think that. However that doesn't excuse the way we lost to Clemson with upperclassmen making so many key mistakes at the end of the game. I figured to see those mistakes with our bench players and newcomers. I am disappointed in the outcome but still think come end of January we will be head and shoulders better than we were at the same time last year. If we can see these issues then the staff and players can as well. I think they will make the changes necessary going forward or at least I hope they do.

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: Breems on December 07, 2014, 10:13:39 pm
I don't think we'll learn anything from that game. 10-15 point win.

lol.  If we lose it, we'll learn a lot.  I'm still a Hog fan, win or lose, but they sure can frustrate the hell out of you sometimes.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

Pork Twain

Worst part of this is that we have seen this before.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ICEman

As in previous years, all home games are meaningless.  If we cannot beat a Clemson team who is the SEC equivalent of a Mistake then this season will be long indeed. Our SEC brethren will be lying in wait for us when we pay a visit to their over-built and cavernous basketball arenas less Kentucky of course.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

3kgthog

We'll still be able to tell something from the cupcake games. I suspect we'll continue to struggle with some of the same things and see some close first halves. The only difference is the opposition won't have quite enough talent to knock us off at home.

TexArkHogFan

After giving it some thought, I think there just may be something to that Portis tweet.  I guess we'll never know for sure but something strange there.   

hog golf

Its early in the season. We will have our guts ripped out several more times. Usually during a road game against a 1-6 opponent when we make 2 of their guys look all-conference
I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize

Biggus Piggus

Dayton is 6-1. Specializes in slow tempo, working the ball inside for easy baskets, playing great field goal % defense and rebounding the misses. Dayton beat Texas A&M early, lost to UConn.

No matter what happens in the Dayton game, we won't have any reasons to believe MA can solve his own problems in time to win some SEC road games.

I'd put good money on Arkansas losing at Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Kentucky and South Carolina.

SEC's bad enough that Arkansas could win some games and still be a sack of crap on the road. Don't know yet whether Tennessee and Mississippi State will put up much of a fight on the road. Missouri looks pretty bad. Arkansas lucks out and doesn't have to go to Alabama, TAM or LSU this season.
[CENSORED]!

Wild Bill Hog

I figure we will win a close game against Dayton because it's at BWA.  We'll beat the remaining ooc stooges and go to GA not much better than we are now.  We'll come home from GA with an ugly loss and play Vandy in front of a couple thousand mostly apathetic fans.

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 09:32:15 am
Dayton is 6-1. Specializes in slow tempo, working the ball inside for easy baskets, playing great field goal % defense and rebounding the misses. Dayton beat Texas A&M early, lost to UConn.

No matter what happens in the Dayton game, we won't have any reasons to believe MA can solve his own problems in time to win some SEC road games.

I'd put good money on Arkansas losing at Georgia, Florida, Ole Miss, Kentucky and South Carolina.

SEC's bad enough that Arkansas could win some games and still be a sack of crap on the road. Don't know yet whether Tennessee and Mississippi State will put up much of a fight on the road. Missouri looks pretty bad. Arkansas lucks out and doesn't have to go to Alabama, TAM or LSU this season.
Even if you are correct and we lose those 5 games, just winning @ tenn, @miz, and @ aub would be enough to get us in. I think you are right about those games, although SC and OM are up and down each week. I think we lose those 5, plus maybe even another. However, that would be 23-8 overall, 12-6 in the conference, and 4-8 on the road with a top 40 rpi. We would be in the NCAAT for sure. Aub, Miz, Tenn, and MSU will all be worse than Clemson this season.

This is assuming we win our home games.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 09:56:14 am
Even if you are correct and we lose those 5 games, just winning @ tenn, @miz, and @ aub would be enough to get us in. I think you are right about those games, although SC and OM are up and down each week. I think we lose those 5, plus maybe even another. However, that would be 23-8 overall, 12-6 in the conference, and 4-8 on the road with a top 40 rpi. We would be in the NCAAT for sure. Aub, Miz, Tenn, and MSU will all be worse than Clemson this season.

Sadly, that is not enough to excite me.
[CENSORED]!

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 09:58:52 am
Sadly, that is not enough to excite me.
When we have not made the NCAAT in 6 or 7 years, any seed excites me. 23-8, while somewhat underachieving, is still better than last year, and would be enough to reach one of our goals which was make the NCAAT. 23-8 secures us in the field regardless of what happens in the SECT.

The_Iceman

I'm afraid that Archie Miller is going to come to Bud Walton on Saturday and put on a coaching clinic.

Some may even leave that game hoping Jeff Long hires him after the season.

Smithian

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2014, 10:04:48 am
I'm afraid that Archie Miller is going to come to Bud Walton on Saturday and put on a coaching clinic.

You need to cheer up. You're depressing me. I need you or Breems to be optimistic.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2014, 10:04:48 am

We will win the game. Sorry to disappoint you.

Regardless, Mike is here next year no matter what. You can bank on that. We do not have the money to fire him, anyways.

lefty08

The object is to be playing your best ball at the end of the year, but to be good enough to still win when not playing your best. Clemson caught lightening in a bottle last night in the last minute. We played bad and still should have won. Even Clemson would admit they should never have won that game
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

The_Iceman

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 10:25:29 am
We will win the game. Sorry to disappoint you.

Regardless, Mike is here next year no matter what. You can bank on that. We do not have the money to fire him, anyways.

I won't be disappointed if we win. Hell, unlike a lot of people on here, I've actually been going to games this season and will be there at 1pm on Saturday.

I saw a lot of problems last night that are making me question Mikes ability to manage this roster. He was able to get this team motivated the 2nd half to come back and take a big lead with 1 minute to go, but that last minute may have been the worst display of coaching I have seen in a long time.

Smithian

Was doing my Dayton research and now it looks like Tom Ostrom is a respected assistant: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/03/27/tommy-ostrom-dayton-south-regional

Did not expect that. That's on the "worst" list.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: lefty08 on December 08, 2014, 10:28:07 am
The object is to be playing your best ball at the end of the year, but to be good enough to still win when not playing your best. Clemson caught lightening in a bottle last night in the last minute. We played bad and still should have won. Even Clemson would admit they should never have won that game

Clemson played competent halfcourt defense and allowed our veteran guards to drive into no man's land and give them the basketball. Then Clemson worked patiently for extremely easy shots against our miserable halfcourt defense. We didn't force Clemson to foul us when we were ahead by two scores. Or one score. Then we put the same lame lineup on the court for overtime and instantly fell behind, never to catch up again. We showed no capability of making stops and converting them into points down the stretch. Suddenly Clemson was a titan? No. DEFCON yellow went to brown.
[CENSORED]!

Breems

Quote from: Smithian on December 08, 2014, 10:31:31 am
Was doing my Dayton research and now it looks like Tom Ostrom is a respected assistant: http://www.si.com/college-basketball/2014/03/27/tommy-ostrom-dayton-south-regional

Did not expect that. That's on the "worst" list.

I thought he left to become a backup drummer for Blink 182.

Southern Hogspitality

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 09:56:14 am

This is assuming we win our home games.

I don't think 23 wins with a bad loss at Clemson is an automatic entry to the dance.  I think that makes us a bubble team with a bad loss.  I don't like our chances of going to the tournament now.

jry04

Quote from: Southern Hogspitality on December 08, 2014, 10:57:52 am
I don't think 23 wins with a bad loss at Clemson is an automatic entry to the dance.  I think that makes us a bubble team with a bad loss.  I don't like our chances of going to the tournament now.
RPI predictors, which are usually pretty accurate, say we will have an rpi in the mid 30s at 23-8. That would also mean we won 4 total road games. Most teams have a losing record on the road. 19-0 at home, 4-8 on the road with a top 40 rpi. A major conference team is not getting left out if they finish 12-6 in their conference and have a top 40 rpi.

Our resume will be similar to OU's a few years ago. No eye popping wins, but a decently high rpi. Top 50 rpi and you typically get in from a major conference. 22-9 and we are still top 50, but likely on the bubble sweating.

lefty08

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 11:09:00 am
RPI predictors, which are usually pretty accurate, say we will have an rpi in the mid 30s at 23-8. That would also mean we won 4 total road games. Most teams have a losing record on the road. 19-0 at home, 4-8 on the road with a top 40 rpi. A major conference team is not getting left out if they finish 12-6 in their conference and have a top 40 rpi.

Our resume will be similar to OU's a few years ago. No eye popping wins, but a decently high rpi. Top 50 rpi and you typically get in from a major conference. 22-9 and we are still top 50, but likely on the bubble sweating.

The sky is certainly falling, in fact, it's raining sky at the moment
Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 11:09:00 am

I'd say Arkansas needs to win at least 24 in the regular season, THEN no go bust in the SECT, to be comfortable about the NCAAT. Looking so bad on the road in December could haunt this team, but I'm more concerned about how good it is going to be in January, February and March.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

It needs to have things figured out by that end of January Florida game in Gainesville.  Feb turns tough and Mike has won one conference tourney game since his E8 team. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 12:21:43 pm
It needs to have things figured out by that end of January Florida game in BWA.  Feb turns tough and Mike has won one conference tourney game since his E8 team. 

That's a road game.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Biggus Piggus

At the moment, Pomeroy has the Hogs going 3-4 in their last seven SEC games. Two conference road wins, Tennessee and Auburn.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 12:23:54 pm
At the moment, Pomeroy has the Hogs going 3-4 in their last seven SEC games. Two conference road wins, Tennessee and Auburn.

So if we need to get to 24 wins, that would mean the Hogs need to win 15 of their next 16 heading into that stretch. 

6-2 now.
3-4 to end season.
15-1 over next 16. 

jry04

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 12:17:33 pm
I'd say Arkansas needs to win at least 24 in the regular season, THEN no go bust in the SECT, to be comfortable about the NCAAT. Looking so bad on the road in December could haunt this team, but I'm more concerned about how good it is going to be in January, February and March.
We can agree to disagree. We are not getting let out with a top 50 rpi, and 23 before sec tourney locks us at top 50

RPI forecast uses sagarin, and it says our best chance is for 23-8.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 09:32:15 am

I'd definitely add Tenner to that list of road losses.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on December 08, 2014, 12:17:33 pm

So, if they win out in the non conf, that would be 11-2, so they would have to go 13-5 in the SEC.  That is hold serve at home for 9, and win 4 SEC road games.  That is a tall order, even in a "down" sec.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Atlhogfan1

If 23-24 regular season wins is necessary, then the team may need to go 15-1 or 14-2 vs:

vs Dayton

vs SE Missouri St

vs Milwaukee

vs Northwestern St

vs Utah Valley

@Georgia

vs Vanderbilt

@Tennessee

vs Ole Miss

vs Alabama

@Missouri

vs Tennessee

@Florida

vs South Carolina

vs Mississippi St

@Auburn

4 road games in this stretch. 

hogsanity

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 08, 2014, 01:15:25 pm
If 23-24 regular season wins is necessary, then the team may need to go 15-1 or 14-2 vs:

They ave 5 non conf games and 18 sec games left. to get to 23 wins they have to 17-6 the rest of the way.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 01:55:45 pm
They ave 5 non conf games and 18 sec games left. to get to 23 wins they have to 17-6 the rest of the way.

It looks like we really need to get to 20 before:

@OM
Mizzou
@Ms St
A&M
@UK
@SC
LSU

Anything less may require 5-2 in this stretch.  But we'll also have the conference tourney.  At some point, Mike has to at least win an SECT game you would think. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 01:55:45 pm

Holy cow, that seems tough now doesn't it.

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 08, 2014, 12:58:48 pm
I'd definitely add Tenner to that list of road losses.
UT is bottom 5 in the SEC, so we are really in trouble if we are a lock to lose them today.

jry04

Quote from: The_Iceman on December 08, 2014, 02:09:09 pm
Holy cow, that seems tough now doesn't it.
Not when you look at who we play. We will lose @ uf, @uk, and @uga. Then we just have to go 3-3 against @ sc, @mizzou, @ tenn, @ aub, @ msu, @ ole miss, and then win all our home games. We should not lose a home game this year. We play the 5 worse teams in the SEC on the road. We will win 3 of them. If last year's team won 3 on the road, then so will this year's team.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

If you didn't see this coming after the Iona game. I don't know what to tell ya...
A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Razor1997

Before Iowa State I thought we looked like a potential NCAAT 5 seed that could break into the Sweet Sixteen.

I still think we make the tournament, but probably more as a 9 or 10 seed now, which likely means no more than one NCAAT win at most.  Still better than the last several years I guess.

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 02:10:56 pm
UT is bottom 5 in the SEC, so we are really in trouble if we are a lock to lose them today.

Clemson was 4-3 with loses to Winthrop and Gardner Webb, and Clemson is projected to be lucky to get to .500 for the season. Their coach is on when will  he get fired watch, and the hogs puked one up to them, so..........

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 02:10:56 pm

I've watched them play their last couple of games, and I think they'll be competitive in the SEC.  I think we'll be hard pressed to beat them in Knoxville.

They are not a bad team.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

jry04

Quote from: hogsanity on December 08, 2014, 02:23:19 pm
Clemson was 4-3 with loses to Winthrop and Gardner Webb, and Clemson is projected to be lucky to get to .500 for the season. Their coach is on when will  he get fired watch, and the hogs puked one up to them, so..........
I get that, but we also play UT later in the season, and i would still say Clemson is better than UT. Also, my point was not that we will not lose, but that if we are the point where we are considered a lock to lose against UT than we are in trouble.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 02:26:46 pm
I get that, but we also play UT later in the season, and i would still say Clemson is better than UT. Also, my point was not that we will not lose, but that if we are the point where we are considered a lock to lose against UT than we are in trouble.

We were only a 4 pt favorite @ Clemson.

The reason we were only a 4 pt favorite @ Clemson was not about Clemson, it was about us.

Because of our road woes over, well, forever, any road line is going to be mostly influenced by bettors doubts re: US.

hogsanity

Quote from: jry04 on December 08, 2014, 02:26:46 pm

In today's college basketball, I don't think anyone is a lock to lose in conference. The point is, assuming they go 5-0 in the rest of their non conf games, they have to win 12 sec games.  That's win em all at home and win 3 road games.

jry04

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on December 08, 2014, 02:24:59 pm
I've watched them play their last couple of games, and I think they'll be competitive in the SEC.  I think we'll be hard pressed to beat them in Knoxville.

They are not a bad team.
They are a bad team. Watch and see. They will have double digit SEC losses. One of the worst offensive teams in the country currently.