Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I want to buy into MA.

Started by Swineasaur, December 07, 2014, 06:59:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Swineasaur

MA did give us our first ranking in a good while, but let's not leave the rose colored glasses on. We had trouble with an average SMU team, got our arse handed to us by a GOOD iowa st team and then we follow it up with a choke to Clemson?  Really? We are not what we used to be in the mid 90's and more than likely won't ever be, but FFS we are lucky to sniff the NIT in a good year. It shouldn't be okay. We should be, bare minimum making the dance every 2-3 years and be a lock (not a wild card) for the NIT inbetween.

I'm not saying we need a NC yearly but damn, we shouldn't struggle to make the NIT

HAM ELLIOT

I dont think people realize just how far down the crapper our basketball program was.  Its easy to believe we should be ranked, beating teams like Clemson and Iowa State on a regular basis.... But the truth is we have sucked for a long time now...   Not to mention we play in a crappy basketball conference.   In order for our team to be better, we need the conference to be better as well.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:41:39 pm
I dont think people realize just how far down the crapper our basketball program was.  Its easy to believe we should be ranked, beating teams like Clemson and Iowa State on a regular basis.... But the truth is we have sucked for a long time now...   Not to mention we play in a crappy basketball conference.   In order for our team to be better, we need the conference to be better as well.

That makes absolutely 0 sense.  The conference overall has sucked for a long time, has that stopped Kentucky from being a hell of a basketball team?  Believe that answer is a resounding NO.  If a team takes care of business, regardless of conference, good things will happen.  The only problem with AR basketball at the moment is that they cannot take care of business consistently.  Win your OOC games and take care of conference games and presto, tournament appearance.  It is that simple. 

Pork Twain

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:41:39 pm
not true at all.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 10:45:14 pm
That makes absolutely 0 sense.  The conference overall has sucked for a long time, has that stopped Kentucky from being a hell of a basketball team?  Believe that answer is a resounding NO.  If a team takes care of business, regardless of conference, good things will happen.  The only problem with AR basketball at the moment is that they cannot take care of business consistently.  Win your OOC games and take care of conference games and presto, tournament appearance.  It is that simple. 
Kentucky was sucking too until they got Calipari to coach.  Players dont want to play in the SEC, unless its for KY...   We are not going to get the players here that we use to get.  If that doesnt make sense to you, then youre an idiot!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 10:45:14 pm

agreed. the conference isn't an issue at all.  the problem is that good teams that get to the dance don't have to worry about individual wins and how it looks to the committee.

but with our mediocrity that's what we're reduced to doing.

the sec may be down but its far from a crappy basketball conference.  lessee, kentucky, florida, and arkansas have won nc's.  not too bad a record.
The rest of the frog.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:49:05 pm
Kentucky was sucking too until they got Calipari to coach.  Players dont want to play in the SEC, unless its for KY...   We are not going to get the players here that we use to get.  If that doesnt make sense to you, then youre an idiot!

Really, Kentucky sucked prior to Calipari?  I think you're the idiot my friend.  The system is why Mike cannot get players.  No elite kids want to play in a system that isn't remotely similar to what they will do in the pros or will allow them to showcase themselves for the pros.  Plus, Mike only wants a specific kind of player so he limits himself on what he goes after. 

ballz2thewall

jeezuus man.  terrific logic there and just a tad hyperbolic too, dontcha think?

calling him an idiot because he doesn't agree with your proposition and, ahem, overstatement?

i say "overstatement" because you seem to intentionally ignore all the great things kentucky has done prior to cal, since arkansas has been in the sec.  too; you didn't mention florida and donovan's success.

and you're calling him an idiot?????
The rest of the frog.

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 10:52:52 pm
Really, Kentucky sucked prior to Calipari?  I think you're the idiot my friend.  The system is why Mike cannot get players.  No elite kids want to play in a system that isn't remotely similar to what they will do in the pros or will allow them to showcase themselves for the pros.  Plus, Mike only wants a specific kind of player so he limits himself on what he goes after. 
I agree with that too, but even if he went after them, he wouldnt get them.  If youre a big time prospect, who do you play for?  Ark in the SEC, someone in the ACC or Big 12?

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 07, 2014, 10:55:02 pm
jeezuus man.  terrific logic there and just a tad hyperbolic too, dontcha think?

calling him an idiot because he doesn't agree with your proposition and, ahem, overstatement?

i say "overstatement" because you seem to intentionally ignore all the great things kentucky has done prior to cal, since arkansas has been in the sec.  too; you didn't mention florida and donovan's success.

Beyond Ky and Florida, The sec is down.  Way down.  We are not the conference we use to be.  Ky had some success before Cal, but not like they are having now. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:55:23 pm
I agree with that too, but even if he went after them, he wouldnt get them.  If youre a big time prospect, who do you play for?  Ark in the SEC, someone in the ACC or Big 12?

That is a coach problem, not a conference problem. 

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:58:39 pm
Beyond Ky and Florida, The sec is down.  Way down.  We are not the conference we use to be.  Ky had some success before Cal, but not like they are having now.

Thank goodness for Kentucky Cal blessed them with his presence.  It isn't like they are  one of the all time winningest programs in college basketball history or anything, think that might have had something to do with them being able to get Cal don't you think...you must be young, because the alternative is stupid and I really want to give you the benefit of the doubt. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 07, 2014, 10:55:02 pm

I'm not sure we can compare ourselves to Florida and Kentucky. What those programs have are great coaches and great recruiters. You can't compare yourself to the Donovans, Caliparis, Selfs, and Pitinos in the world unless you have one of those guys. Without a great coach, of course we'll always be on a different level from them.
You can win in any conference with a great coach, and you can win at any place. Calipari won at Memphis, Donovan won at Florida, Calhoun won at UConn, etc. Those were decent but not great programs. We have a solid program based on history, but we've been basically irrelevant for 15 years. You shouldn't expect Mike Anderson to win here, because things aren't as they were 20 years ago, and he is NOT a great coach. He's also not a terrible coach, so let's expect slightly better than mediocrity with the occasional tournament run. If we want to expect more, let's have a practice facility, and eventually we probably need a better coach.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

ballz2thewall

Quote from: HAM ELLIOT on December 07, 2014, 10:58:39 pm

if you continue your posting here on this thread i suspect you'll eventually end with a simple conclusion that, this year, the sec is down.  and i think you'll also conclude that despite the conference woes, it stands in stark contrast to what kentucky may achieve.  you'll flavor those assessments by stating that it's frustrating that kentucky's success in recruiting isn't duplicated at the uofa.

after all this we may even end up as good friends.  hell, we might decide to double-date some cousins or something.  that is, IF you won't call your date an idiot.
The rest of the frog.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 07, 2014, 11:07:00 pm
I'm not sure we can compare ourselves to Florida and Kentucky. What those programs have are great coaches and great recruiters. You can't compare yourself to the Donovans, Caliparis, Selfs, and Pitinos in the world unless you have one of those guys. Without a great coach, of course we'll always be on a different level from them.
You can win in any conference with a great coach, and you can win at any place. Calipari won at Memphis, Donovan won at Florida, Calhoun won at UConn, etc. Those were decent but not great programs. We have a solid program based on history, but we've been basically irrelevant for 15 years. You shouldn't expect Mike Anderson to win here, because things aren't as they were 20 years ago, and he is NOT a great coach. He's also not a terrible coach, so let's expect slightly better than mediocrity with the occasional tournament run. If we want to expect more, let's have a practice facility, and eventually we probably need a better coach.

It's about recruiting.  Florida hiring Donovan from Marshall was one of the great hires of recent decades. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on December 07, 2014, 11:10:55 pm
It's about recruiting.  Florida hiring Donovan from Marshall was one of the great hires of recent decades. 
It absolutely was. You can't discount coaching though. Josh Pastner is evidence of what happens when you can recruit but not coach. And there are countless examples of this in football, with the most obvious being Orgeron.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 07, 2014, 11:14:02 pm
It absolutely was. You can't discount coaching though. Josh Pastner is evidence of what happens when you can recruit but not coach. And there are countless examples of this in football, with the most obvious being Orgeron.

dale brown. great guy. great recruiter.  let nolan school him when he had shaq, just to name one example.
The rest of the frog.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: HogFaninMemphis on December 07, 2014, 11:14:02 pm

I'm not discounting it.  Bo Ryan is a great example of coaching.  (Disclaimer: Not suggesting he coach at Arkansas and I understand our fans' distaste for anything B1G related)

Pastner and Drew at Baylor, to a lesser extent, is as well of failing with good recruits.   
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hogsanity

The issue is that MA either WILL not or CAN not coach but 1 way. When that way does not work, he has no where else to go. Look at the dreadful performances against teams that are average, at best, especially last year and already this year.  Although, some of the signs wee there against North TX and Iona. Both those teams got to the rim way too easy, and if not for the Hogs depth finally wearing those teams aout around the 10 min mark of the 2nd half in both games, those games could easily have gone to the wire
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 11:21:33 pm
The issue is that MA either WILL not or CAN not coach but 1 way. When that way does not work, he has no where else to go. Look at the dreadful performances against teams that are average, at best, especially last year and already this year.  Although, some of the signs wee there against North TX and Iona. Both those teams got to the rim way too easy, and if not for the Hogs depth finally wearing those teams aout around the 10 min mark of the 2nd half in both games, those games could easily have gone to the wire

Iona was like watching AAU basketball.  Lost interest before halftime. 

ballz2thewall

Quote from: hogsanity on December 07, 2014, 11:21:33 pm

good examples. north texas and iona both were good teams.  we merely out lasted them is all we did. we never really challenged them as opposed to letting them play themselves out.
The rest of the frog.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 07, 2014, 11:25:03 pm
good examples. north texas and iona both were good teams.  we merely out lasted them is all we did. we never really challenged them as opposed to letting them play themselves out.
Right. And of course there is a value in this concept of running a team ragged. But if you can't run them ragged due to missing shots, depth, etc., you're going to get destroyed running this system solely dependent upon dropping 3s. This is 2014; teams in the NBA show that you can consistently run a 3-heavy offense, but those offenses involve amazing ball movement (San Antonio) and great shooters (Golden State). We have neither of these, though our shooting is much-improved, which thrills me. Games like tonight when we can't get buckets to fall, though, we look like the same team we have looked like the past few years. There have to be other ways to score in games like these other than launching 3s. We have a great post player who had favorable matchups, and in a game where our shot wasn't falling, he only attempted 16 shots. Our PG play has to improve, and when it does, our offense will improve greatly. Tonight simply was a bad night for the 1 spot on the floor, but I do not expect this to consistently be the case. The most consistent things on this team are Bobby Portis and our inconsistency.

Wild Bill Hog

So you are saying our basketball program is at the level we should expect to be at?

HAM ELLIOT

Quote from: Wild Bill Hog on December 08, 2014, 03:20:15 am
So you are saying our basketball program is at the level we should expect to be at?
No!  Im not.  What im saying is the SEC is the Big 10 of basketball.  Top players are going to other conferences.  Regardless of who is recruiting or who we are recruiting, we wont get the same caliber of players we use to get.  Im not saying that is the WHOLE problem, but its a PART of the problem. 

Biggus Piggus

I cannot take Razorback basketball seriously if the team is fatally flawed and incapable of returning to true title contention.
[CENSORED]!

3kgthog

We aren't getting the high caliber players because Mike nor anyone on his staff has ever been known as a great recruiter. Tennessee, LSU, and other SEC teams other than UK have gotten some pretty highly rated guys in the last 15 years, so what's our excuse? It's the style and the staff. Simple as that. It's certainly not facilities, which will be back in the top 3 this summer once the practice facility is finished.

Pork Twain

Arkansas was not a basketball trash heap, had good talent on campus and a good class coming in and it does NOT take four years to turn a basketball program around.  Especially not in a conference that has been struggling for over four years.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

latrops

I bet Bruce Pearl gets some players.  Anderson doesn't have a reputation as a great recruiter.  His reputation is that he gets players that fit and execute his system.  So far, that hasn't played out as well at Arkansas as it did at Mizzou and UAB.  One problem is that, while we knew Anderson was a system coach, I think most of us are surprised at how little he adjusts in game or based on the abilities or effectiveness of the personnel. 

code red

Nolan's style of play was physical.  Mike's teams have never been physical.  So....we shouldn't expect similar results.
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

Pork Twain

Quote from: code red on December 08, 2014, 07:57:14 am
Nolan's style of play was physical.  Mike's teams have never been physical.  So....we shouldn't expect similar results.
Winning?

cbhawg03

While the program was in the crapper and it will take MA some time, watching the Hogs will leave you scratching your head to say the least. Beating really good teams and then losing to really bad teams. Never makes any sense.

MA doesn't draw up a play to get a bucket when needed or the players don't know how to run a play, either way it is troubling. You will see the better teams that we play and the better coaches that we play against call a timeout to draw up a play or come out of a tv timeout and run a certain play that usually will lead to a bucket. I think Iowa St got a dunk and then ran the same play later on almost for the same result.

It is really concerning why we don't play more pressure defense on the road, especially against lesser teams like Clemson. Clemson for instance has had 98 turnovers in 8 games, but we rarely would apply any pressure. Yet if the game was played in BWA then we would have played with pressure for 90% of the game, yet we go on the road and completely abandoned who we are for some reason. We should be who we are at home and away for BWA, not playing one style at home and a completely different style on the road.