Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

We need a true point guard!

Started by searcus, December 07, 2014, 06:02:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

EastMemphisHog

ra2ford

We have 2 true point guards - coach just not playing them.

Why?

ra2ford

We have 2 true point guards - coach just not playing them.

Why?

hogpc

The last few possessions before OT put an exclamation point on this topic!

roundball

Pathetic way to end the game. We don't look very good at all.

ra2ford

We need a real "modern day offense & defensive" coach, not the stepbrother of someone who won when Moses was playing.

Section B

Got to start letting #4 play PG so he can get some game time under his belt before conference.  Let KM be the scoring guard he should be.  Thought this would have happened by now.
Quote from: wocraig on February 23, 2009, 09:34:42 PM
"This is the beginning of a major character flaw with American society.
If this feeling of entitlement is allowed to fester, our republic will not be maintainable.
We need a grassroots movement encouraging personal responsibility and the reiteration that government only provides equality of opportunity... NOT EQUALITY OF OUTCOME." 

Amen brotha.

userpick

I've said for 3 years...if Ky Madden is your point guard, you aren't a great team.

lookawayquick

Wanted: a floor general who can distribute the ball, keep the offense flowing and play on ball defense.

Champs04

If we don't have a true point then who's fault is that but the coaches after 4 years?????

TheOtherColombia

A true point guard would mean that Mike is abandoning his system.  All the pieces in this system are interchangeable, supposedly.  There are point guards on the roster, but in the grand scheme of MA they are just another piece in the puzzle and their talents and abilities are pretty much wasted.  Beard looks lost because he is a true point guard and he isn't comfortable in this type of system because he doesn't get to be a true point guard.  Mike will never abandon his system, so you could load up the roster with true point guards but they will just be pieces in the puzzle and not play the position as it is intended to be played. 

hawgfan4life

Madden does not need to be a playmaker in clutch.  Rarely comes out well.  Get him at the 2 and let him slash if clear.  He is very god at that

Big Nasty 34

I wonder if AZHog and a couple others realize why I was so adamant against madden not having the ball in his hands late in games.
Sad it cost us today

HogsBalls

ballz2thewall

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 09:48:19 pm
A true point guard would mean that Mike is abandoning his system.  All the pieces in this system are interchangeable, supposedly.  There are point guards on the roster, but in the grand scheme of MA they are just another piece in the puzzle and their talents and abilities are pretty much wasted.  Beard looks lost because he is a true point guard and he isn't comfortable in this type of system because he doesn't get to be a true point guard.  Mike will never abandon his system, so you could load up the roster with true point guards but they will just be pieces in the puzzle and not play the position as it is intended to be played.

i don't believe this and i don't know where you're getting your information.  where is it found that MA believes all the players are interchangeable? this was posted a lot last year when i was harping on not having someone step up at point guard.  i asked the same question at the start of this year.

please don't be offended by my tone. i'm not attacking you at all.

the answer to my post may be implicitly rhetorical to your comment. that is; his system is revealed by the fact that no one is established as a point guard.
The rest of the frog.

searcus

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 09:48:19 pm

I believe Beck and Mayberry were true point guards.  I know they played under Nolan but I believe that's where Anderson developed his style of coaching.

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: ballz2thewall on December 07, 2014, 10:01:44 pm
i don't believe this and i don't know where you're getting your information.  where is it found that MA believes all the players are interchangeable? this was posted a lot last year when i was harping on not having someone step up at point guard.  i asked the same question at the start of this year.

please don't be offended by my tone. i'm not attacking you at all.

the answer to my post may be implicitly rhetorical to your comment. that is; his system is revealed by the fact that no one is established as a point guard.

Not at all offended.  All you have to do is watch to see it.  I have watched Anderson at Mizzou and here.  Same song different school.  Look at how he recruits, Portis and Kingsley are the only guys who aren't "typical" MA players.  Generally, you end up with a team full of Qualls.  Which is ok if you can out athlete everyone all the time.  Well in big time college basketball you cannot do that.  Look at Beard in high school and look at him now.  Dude is a basketball player, no reason for him to look lost.  He has skills, but the system doesn't allow him to utilize them.  The system tells him to play D and if we get slowed down or have to do something in the half court  they run something that is trying real hard to be a motion offense.  If you ran a real half court set one time with the ball in Beard's hands you would see and know what a point guard can do.  Will not happen though with MA.  Just won't.  He is to point guards what Houston Nutt was to quarterbacks...

Pork Twain

Starting to believe that as long as MA is here, we are always going to be looking for that "one" piece we are missing.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TheOtherColombia

Quote from: searcus on December 07, 2014, 10:04:31 pm
I believe Beck and Mayberry were true point guards.  I know they played under Nolan but I believe that's where Anderson developed his style of coaching.

Mike apparently only gleaned one thing from Nolan.  Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that Nolan was a hell of a coach and a lot more than just press and play.  Nolan adjusted to what he had, he could go big, he could run sets, and he pressed the hell out of you when he could.  He didn't just rely on pressure defense and only pressure defense to win ballgames.  Go watch some of his best teams.  They were well coached and could play any style you asked them to.   

Pork Twain

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on December 07, 2014, 10:11:12 pm
Mike apparently only gleaned one thing from Nolan.  Anyone who knows anything about basketball knows that Nolan was a hell of a coach and a lot more than just press and play.  Nolan adjusted to what he had, he could go big, he could run sets, and he pressed the hell out of you when he could.  He didn't just rely on pressure defense and only pressure defense to win ballgames.  Go watch some of his best teams.  They were well coached and could play any style you asked them to.   

National Championship game is the perfect example
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

J-co

We have 1 on the team (Durham) the problem is  that Coach A. is so in love with ky madden and Bell that he never see's the floor, and when he makes 1 mistake he gets pulled but Madden can do no wrong.

Hogimus Prime

This team also lacks a wing that can go get a bucket when you need it.