Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Good Teams with Far Worse Losses

Started by Hawg Red, December 06, 2014, 01:27:33 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawg Red

And Michigan is ranked.

Just furthers the non-sense behind all criticizing of the ISU loss. There are good teams out there with far worse losses thus far.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 06, 2014, 01:27:33 pm
And Michigan is ranked.

Just furthers the non-sense behind all criticizing of the ISU loss. There are good teams out there with far worse losses thus far.

Sup HawgRed! These type losses happen in college hoops through the season and even in the tournament.

Dr. Starcs

The loss to Iowa st doesn't bother me. The way that we lost does.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 01:35:36 pm

Getting your butt kicked by a really good team is not as bad of a loss as losing to a 3-5 independent school any day of the week, is the point. It's early in the season and we could do much worse than losing to Iowa State in Hilton.

Dr. Starcs

So we shouldn't be bothered by not showing up?  Good grief.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 01:48:21 pm

I guess you could be bothered, if you really feel we didn't show up. I don't happen to think that was the case at all. We did get thoroughly outplayed and could have played much better, but teams have off games. That's just basketball, man. It happens. You have to really bring it to beat Iowa State in Hilton, and we didn't really bring it. That doesn't, however, mean we didn't show up because we did continue to fight the whole game. They were hot, we weren't. We also played really poorly on defense. Show me a pattern and maybe I'll get bothered. I didn't like seeing us get beat like that, either, but I've watched enough ball to know it happens to even the best of teams.

Dr. Starcs

Fair enough. I've just seen this pattern on the road far too many times for us.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 02:12:23 pm
Fair enough. I've just seen this pattern on the road far too many times for us.

Definitely, but we also saw noticeable progress last year with multiple SEC road wins and a win at Rupp Arena. We got a pretty good win already on the road at SMU (not what they were supposed to be but still a good team and a somewhat rowdy environment -- are we weathered a comeback attempt when we normally would have folded).

Tomorrow will be telling. We should be able to beat Clemson on the road, based on what we've seen last season and this season.

intelligence

To me the biggest thing is to hit the reset button. Season is still young, and maybe our team will continue to improve from here on out. Best team we've had in a long while anyway, so why ruin it by griping.

Pignominious

Add Miami (FL) to your list. Lost by double digits at home to Green Bay.
Ray Biggers' third cousin.

CDBHawg

We're not as bad as we showed against Iowa St. And we were not as good as we showed against Wake.

Enjoy the season. We should win about 25 games and go to the NCAAT.

Atlhogfan1

Mike has had good teams with worse losses.  ISU just fits the pattern which suggests it will happen again this season.  As long the team doesn't let that game carryover negatively, they will be fine and successful.

SMU beating previously unbeaten Wyoming was good for the Hogs.  Can't afford for SMU to go into the tank given Wake and Clemson aren't looking very good. 

Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hooch

We rarely see eye to eye and we don't here either.  I thought the margin was pretty shocking but, it had the feeling to me of a closer game.  We had the ball down 11 a chance to put it to single digits and got a bad call, got the ball back had a terrible possession on offense followed by a bad one on defense. 

I didn't have the feeling of Bama or aTm last year.  Maybe it was just me, I don't really remember the stats for those losses last year other than I remember Bama being absolutely on fire. 

I guess if you are saying what shocked you was our lack of defense, then I would agree. 

Our big losses in the past 2 or 3 seasons on the road had a hell of a lot more to do with our inefficiency scoring.  I haven't looked but I would bet you that those losses we struggled to get to 60 points more often than not.

Dr. Starcs

Hooch, reasonable minds can disagree. Lol

I want to be relevant again as bad as the next guy. But I saw some of the same issues that have plagued us the last few years, most of which have been conveyed on this site ad nauseaum. That is concerning to me and many others.

sickboy

I think it's fair to be bothered by the way we lost. But the season is a long, long way from being over. Every year our team gets stronger as the year goes on. We're going to be just fine.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 06, 2014, 01:52:40 pm
I guess you could be bothered, if you really feel we didn't show up. I don't happen to think that was the case at all. We did get thoroughly outplayed and could have played much better, but teams have off games. That's just basketball, man. It happens. You have to really bring it to beat Iowa State in Hilton, and we didn't really bring it. That doesn't, however, mean we didn't show up because we did continue to fight the whole game. They were hot, we weren't. We also played really poorly on defense. Show me a pattern and maybe I'll get bothered. I didn't like seeing us get beat like that, either, but I've watched enough ball to know it happens to even the best of teams.
What is disturbing is this team looked like teams of the past 15 years on the road. SOFT!!! No mental toughness with no leadership or direction.  This was our statement game,that the Hogs were Back! You do have bad games, but hey if we get beat lets do it with a little more fight.
I love off season Football!!

3kgthog

The thing about a loss like Michigan's is that it's an anomaly and not likely to happen to them again for awhile. The thing about our loss is that it happens all too often on the road and will happen again this season.

jry04

Quote from: 3kgthog on December 06, 2014, 08:29:39 pm
The thing about a loss like Michigan's is that it's an anomaly and not likely to happen to them again for awhile. The thing about our loss is that it happens all too often on the road and will happen again this season.
Funny how you spin it. Each season is different. This could be our break through season, so you do not know what we will do. I can promise you Michigan will have a few more bad losses this year.

Sorry, but no matter how you shape it, losing to NJIT is a type of loss that can kill your resume, and will more than likely drop them out of the top 25.

All of these teams losing this week will keep us in the top 25 as long as we win tomorrow.

Dr. Starcs

^^^^

You insult the other guy for not knowing the future, yet promise that Michigan will have more bad losses. Lol

Boarmonger

A prime example of two instances where a bad loss means absolutely nothing from the past where Arkansas was the buzz saw.  The 1988 victory over eventual NC Kansas where we routed them in Barnhill.

The second example...Mizzou in 1994 where we absolutely pasted them in Bud Walton.  That team ended up in the Elite 8.   

Losses like this mean nothing.  The meaning occurs in what comes after.

jry04

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 08:51:29 pm
^^^^

You insult the other guy for not knowing the future, yet promise that Michigan will have more bad losses. Lol
Show me where I insulted him. I will be waiting. If you find an insult in there than you have very thin skin.

Sorry, but if you lose to NJIT at home, you are undoubtedly going to lose a few more games that you shouldn't.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Boarmonger on December 06, 2014, 09:02:11 pm
A prime example of two instances where a bad loss means absolutely nothing from the past where Arkansas was the buzz saw.  The 1988 victory over eventual NC Kansas where we routed them in Barnhill.

The second example...Mizzou in 1994 where we absolutely pasted them in Bud Walton.  That team ended up in the Elite 8.   

Losses like this mean nothing.  The meaning occurs in what comes after.
the whopping UMass put on the 95 team
I love off season Football!!

Boarmonger

intelligence

Hawg Red

Quote from: Pignominious on December 06, 2014, 03:00:01 pm
Add Miami (FL) to your list. Lost by double digits at home to Green Bay.

GB comes to BWA this season. Interesting.

intelligence

Hawg Red

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 02:23:57 am
I wish.

No, I don't.

But I do wish I was asleep.

GB doesn't come to BWA though  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Hawg Red

Quote from: intelligence on December 07, 2014, 02:32:05 am
GB doesn't come to BWA though  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

You're right. It's Milwaukee that does. Mi mal.

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 02:43:44 am

HawgRed, im going to Milwaulkee game on Dec 22nd, i think that is the date.
Already got some tickets given to me.
If Milwaulkee can beat a ranked Miami (FL) then they are no push over!

jry04

Quote from: TheRazorbackGuy on December 07, 2014, 03:09:30 am
HawgRed, im going to Milwaulkee game on Dec 22nd, i think that is the date.
Already got some tickets given to me.
If Milwaulkee can beat a ranked Miami (FL) then they are no push over!
Green Bay beat Miami...

popcornhog

Quote from: Dr. Starcs on December 06, 2014, 01:48:21 pm

We shouldn't over react to one game, win or loss.
WPS

Dr. Starcs

Being bothered isn't an overreaction on my part. I understand it may be to some.

MountieDawg

And Michigan is ranked.

Yes they happen, but if you think the Hogs could not have played better or you were happy with how they played then you have low expectations of the team. Yes they are going to lose games and ISU played lights out, but way to many open shots for them and stupid head down dribbling turnovers on our part.
SEC!

Hawg Red

Quote from: MountieDawg on December 07, 2014, 10:53:37 am
Yes they happen, but if you think the Hogs could not have played better or you were happy with how they played then you have low expectations of the team. Yes they are going to lose games and ISU played lights out, but way to many open shots for them and stupid head down dribbling turnovers on our part.

Why would you even suggest something so ridiculous?? I can't even being to comprehend how you could possibly pull that out of what I said.

k.c.hawg

What does anyone see in this team that makes them think that they are immune to getting beat by very good teams on the road. Iowa St was built to beat the style of basketball we play.This defensive style has always left shooters open and their shooters decided the game in the first 10 minutes. You are setting your self up to not enjoy a good season if your expectations are, we are a great team.

This is a pretty good team that should end our NCAA dry spell and hopefully advance into the field of 32. Anything after that would be euphoria for me. I'm going to enjoy the season for what it will be, our best season in years and seeing our name called on Selection Sunday.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

hogfan10

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 06, 2014, 01:52:40 pm

This year a pattern has yet to be established, but I think it's safe to say a that over the last 3 years a pattern has been established. When we play avg to good teams on the road, our inability or unwillingness to adapt to the flow of the game causes us to look helpless on the court.

Hawg Red

Quote from: hogfan10 on December 07, 2014, 12:21:54 pm
This year a pattern has yet to be established, but I think it's safe to say a that over the last 3 years a pattern has been established. When we play avg to good teams on the road, our inability or unwillingness to adapt to the flow of the game causes us to look helpless on the court.

I think a pattern of improvement was shown last year.

- Neutral court win over a good Minnesota team.
- Hung fairly close with highly ranked Gonzaga.
- Played well at but still lost to UGA and Tennessee. We had our chances.
- Win at Vanderbilt
- Very close loss at Missouri.
- Win at Mississippi State.
- Win at Kentucky. Huge.

That's best we've played away from BWA in quite some time, no? Has a pattern of improvement not been shown over the last year? I realize we're still losing to teams like Bama and SC away, but that shouldn't erase the strides that were made. This thing is still being built. It's in the final stages of growth. But it's most not the "same old, some old."

hogfan10

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 12:26:48 pm
I think a pattern of improvement was shown last year.

- Neutral court win over a good Minnesota team.
- Hung fairly close with highly ranked Gonzaga.
- Played well at but still lost to UGA and Tennessee. We had our chances.
- Win at Vanderbilt
- Very close loss at Missouri.
- Win at Mississippi State.
- Win at Kentucky. Huge.

That's best we've played away from BWA in quite some time, no? Has a pattern of improvement not been shown over the last year? I realize we're still losing to teams like Bama and SC away, but that shouldn't erase the strides that were made. This thing is still being built. It's in the final stages of growth. But it's most not the "same old, some old."

I would agree that we have made some strides in the right direction (due to an upgrade in players), but I still think that we will always struggle to beat avg teams on the road, based on style alone. This is year 4 in the rebuild, and unless our pressure overwhelms our opponents we have no answer, we just keep trying the same thing hoping for a different result.

intelligence

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 07, 2014, 02:43:44 am
Yup, simple mistake. No worries

Pork Twain

ISU bothers few, Clemson bothers many, same excuses and justifications bothers all.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Pork Twain on December 27, 2014, 09:36:36 am
ISU bothers few, Clemson bothers many, same excuses and justifications bothers all.
If you are having to list the losses other teams have in your forth year to justify the value of our team, something still ain't right...
All Gas, No Brakes!

Pork Twain

Quote from: Deep Shoat on December 27, 2014, 10:32:29 am
If you are having to list the losses other teams have in your forth year to justify the value of our team, something still ain't right...
Tis a desperate tactic.  Hopefully MA got things turned around after Clemson and we play solid the rest of the year.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

TomBigBeeHog

Hyper-critical voices are part of the Internet age. Hard to read Jumpball nowadays, with the exception of a few good posters (some of whom are providing some good critique of areas we need to improve).

Have gun will travel has morphed into, have keyboard will criticize. The topic doesn't matter for some people.

I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

TomBigBeeHog

Stony Brook knocked off #13 Washington. First road win for the Stoners all year.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/recap?gameId=400593234
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

jry04

Cal lost at home to Cal State Bakersfield, who is now 3-10 after the loss. Haas is a tough place to win, and Cal was 10-2 and nearing the top 25.

bigdaddyhawg

Simply a case of misery loves company, and trying to distract folks from how poorly we have played on the road.

It's still up in the air with this team: if they continue to play poorly on the road, then we'll probably not make the dance.  That would be a shame considering the talent level of this team.

If they start gelling, start playing better on the road, then perhaps those early two road losses provided a learning experience.

And this team could end up becoming a Sweet 16 team.

It's still all before them.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hawg Red

By the way, I did not create this thread. The OP is a reply of mine for another thread. Not sure why a mod made a thread out of it.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hawg Red on December 30, 2014, 12:56:13 pm
By the way, I did not create this thread. The OP is a reply of mine for another thread. Not sure why a mod made a thread out of it.

To help push the forum in an editorial direction.  Message boards need to lean heavily positive and control the criticism especially the pay boards.  Doesn't matter if the positive discussions are accurate or balanced.  Our two exceptions were the last 2 years of Nutt and 2.5 of Pelphrey.  The post Clemson discussions, while many good and balanced including comments from admins and mods, it was too much.  Your post turned OP helps in quieting down criticism which gives better control.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Breems

Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />