Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Not drinking the Kool-Aid just yet

Started by oldbooniehog, October 29, 2014, 08:25:05 am

Previous topic - Next topic

oldbooniehog

I understand folks are all hyped up about the start of the season.

It's just natural.

I, however, refuse to drink Kool-Aid this year.

Last season, I refused to drink the Kool-Aid until the Hogs jumped up and beat KY on the road. Okay, I thought. That's it. That's the proof. The Hogs are back. And I guzzled down the red Kool-Aid by the gallon.

Of course, that road win at KY was followed up by a total collapse, and failure, once again, to make the NCAA tournament.

I hope the Hogs win a lot this year. I hope they make the NCAA tourney.

But I'm not believing anything about this team until they prove it on the court.

And since 2008, Arkansas has proven exactly nothing on the court.

That could change. But then again, it might not, either.  Until it does change, no red Kool-Aid for me.

The_Iceman

That is a completely understandable view point. For us to take the next step as a program, we have to start taking care of business and beating the teams we are supposed to beat. Stop it with the bad losses!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2014, 08:29:53 am
That is a completely understandable view point. For us to take the next step as a program, we have to start taking care of business and beating the teams we are supposed to beat. Stop it with the bad losses!

Exactly. I love Coach A and how he has changed the program but we have to limit the bad losses.

The loss at Alabama was a load of crap.

bigred223

Well I think we have been lacking leadership on the court somewhat. I expect Portis, madden, and qualls to be leaders this year. Hopefully that will help to prevent some of these poor showings y'all are talking about. I still think there is reason to be optimistic.

Big Nasty 34

I'm holding off on the Kool Aid too. Now I am always pumped about basketball season, regardless of expectations. But not gonna brag too much yet!

nwahogfan1

Quote from: oldbooniehog on October 29, 2014, 08:25:05 am

It's just natural.

Last season, I refused to drink the Kool-Aid until the Hogs jumped up and beat KY on the road. Okay, I thought. That's it. That's the proof. The Hogs are back. And I guzzled down the red Kool-Aid by the gallon.

Of course, that road win at KY was followed up by a total collapse, and failure, once again, to make the NCAA tournament.

But I'm not believing anything about this team until they prove it on the court.

That could change. But then again, it might not, either.  Until it does change, no red Kool-Aid for me.

If PG play is as good as I want it to be then I am banking that the PG play will make them more consistent and lead them to more victories on the road.

poloprince

$PoLoPrInCe$

010HogFan

Boston RedHogs

Everyone also needs to recognize that our schedule alone this year puts us light years ahead of where we've been.

SOS, driven by poor OOC opponents, has been a severe detriment to our post season hopes even before the tipoff of the first game.  We had very little margin for error as a result making it very difficult to pass the eye test with the selection committee.

I agree we still need to rise up and take care of business on the court.  But, our SOS should no longer be the hindrance it once was.   

kennymayne

Just makes you sound like a front runner to me.

Atlhogfan1

October 29, 2014, 10:40:04 am #10 Last Edit: October 29, 2014, 11:07:21 am by Atlhogfan1

It's just natural.

Your reaction was similar to mine early in the SEC portion of the schedule to all of the exaggerations and hype that was spewed in the non conference portion of the schedule. 

I was one of the few, if that, who didn't believe the UK wins were going to lead to anything last season.  Now I didn't foresee how bad the end of the season would go. 

This year's team is different.  Gulley was on okay defender and had a great assist to turnover ratio.  Wade helped at times especially after Mike finally started giving him some of Bell's minutes.  Coty was the team leader and was by far the steals leader from the forward position.  That should tell you the quality of depth at the guard position in this system last season.  It is going to be better this season.  This is an NCAAT team.   I don't know that PG solves the road issues.  It is an Anderson issue.  But the better guard depth should help win a couple of more road games which will be all that is needed.  The team may finally win an SECT game too which could help seeding.   

I expect most of the JB posters to overestimate how good the team is based on the non conference.  Scoring 90-100+ and Qualls' dunks against athletically overmatched opponents will excite the kids. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 29, 2014, 10:29:56 am
Everyone also needs to recognize that our schedule alone this year puts us light years ahead of where we've been.

SOS, driven by poor OOC opponents, has been a severe detriment to our post season hopes even before the tipoff of the first game.  We had very little margin for error as a result making it very difficult to pass the eye test with the selection committee.

I agree we still need to rise up and take care of business on the court.  But, our SOS should no longer be the hindrance it once was.   

The SOS might have hurt us in the past, but if we take care of business at the end of the season and beat Alabama and South Carolina, we are probably in the NCAA tournament. We would have been 23-10 going into the Selection Process.

popcornhog

It's just natural.

Based on personnel, overall improvement last year, and experience I fully expect this team to finish in the top 15-30 range and to make the tourney.

But I don't find your position unreasonable.
WPS

popcornhog

WPS

Big Nasty 34

Quote from: kennymayne on October 29, 2014, 10:34:07 am
Just makes you sound like a front runner to me.

Just because someone is tempering expectations doesn't make them any less of a fan. I am as pumped as anyone for the season to start, and will be supporting this team no matter what. However, I don't want to be a heartbroken hog fan like football is making me lol.

popcornhog

WPS

PonderinHog

Heck, one little sip shouldn't hurt, should it ???

:razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2014, 10:44:30 am
The SOS might have hurt us in the past, but if we take care of business at the end of the season and beat Alabama and South Carolina, we are probably in the NCAA tournament. We would have been 23-10 going into the Selection Process.

Agreed, but flip it over, and if our SOS wasn't so poor, we would have possibly gotten in despite the Alabama and SC losses.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 29, 2014, 10:44:30 am

Highly doubtful. Our RPI was still bloated by a 200+NCSoS. We would have simply been sitting a little higher on the bubble instead of being at the bottom or off of it completely. We weren't a #1 or even a #2 in the NIT.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

TheRazorbackGuy

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on October 29, 2014, 12:17:44 pm
Highly doubtful. Our RPI was still bloated by a 200+NCSoS. We would have simply been sitting a little higher on the bubble instead of being at the bottom or off of it completely. We weren't a #1 or even a #2 in the NIT.

Advocate, Hogs were not a powerhouse in the NIT

thirrdegreetusker

But "drinking the Kool-Aid" is the difference between a true believer and a fair-weather fan.

thirrdegreetusker

It's just natural.

So when is the appropriate time to drink the proverbial Kool-Aid? Sweet 16? Final Four? NCAANC?

rude1

Completely understand, this team was so much Jekyll and Hyde last year you could never be sure who was going to show up especially on the road. Until there is some consistency shown it's kind of hard to buy in. We have shown the ability beat anyone but also lose to anyone. 

Hawg Red

Logical, rational and justified approach. Doesn't make one any less of a fan. Everyone is on the same page that we absolutely have to make the NCAA tournament this season, but it's okay to be skeptical given the letdowns we've had since Pelphrey's 2nd season.

Big Nasty 34

Razorback fans should know by now to guard their hearts in all sports lol

bolo1010

How about just being happy that another exciting basketball season is approaching? You don't have to be all in or "drink the kool aid but me personally i thought last season was one of the most exciting one we had since the Brandon Dean years.
Of course I got upset after we beat Kentucky and then DESTROYED Ole Miss at home only to go and lay an egg at Alabama. With that being said, I truly enjoyed watching those exciting wins and that's what it should be about.. Fun. I get just as emotional as the next guy after a loss and after a couple
of days I get over it and get ready for the next one.

I for one am excited as hell for this season but I will also watch with cautious optimism.

GO HOGS!!

Breems

I'm drinking Kool-Aid, only I'm expecting it to be a bit bland at first and better after we add some sugar.

I think we'll start out slow as the new guards learn the defense and we learn whether or not Portis is now a viable offensive weapon. I bet this team hits its stride fairly early, though.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

bolo1010

Yea it will probably be best to drink kool-aid with no sugar at first.. Then add a little Splenda then move your way up to sugar. 

Good thing about this season we don't have to wait til conference play to see our team get truly tested.

Loving the non-conf schedule this year. Will def help with the RPI

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: poloprince on October 29, 2014, 10:19:09 am
Bandwagon fans are the worst kind.

I guess he'll support the team If they are dominant...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

HF#1

Last year was like Kool-Aid without enough sugar.  This year will be a little sweeter.  This is the deepest, most experienced, most talented team we have had in 10+ years.

My expectation is that we will exceed expectations.  I'm looking forward to the season.  Enjoy the show, it will be fun.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

razorbackkid

Skip the Kool-Aid altogether, go with your favorite adult beverage.  Doing so will help rid your mind of last years poor finish and get you pumped for what your heart desires for this season.

If things don't pan out the way you need them to your gut will be appropriately conditioned to stay drunk until this time next year.

Win/win.  :)
I would rather live as if there is a God and find out there isn't, than to live as if there isn't and find out there is.

Smokehouse

Quote from: thirrdegreetusker on October 29, 2014, 03:05:40 pm
But "drinking the Kool-Aid" is the difference between a true believer and a fair-weather fan.

Not sure several people on here understand what a fair-weather fan/front runner/etc is. Fair-weather fans don't post on message boards before the season has started.

One can be pessimistic and still support the team 100%. During some of the bad seasons across basketball and football in the past decade I've still watched and cheered just as strongly for the Hogs even though I knew they'd likely get drubbed most games.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

Biggus Piggus

I'm feeling a bit different. No, there isn't the feeling we had going into the 1990-91 season, or '93-94. Then it was a sure thing -- no doubt the Razorbacks would be top 10, top 5 caliber. Heck, it was easy when the Hogs were ranked No. 1, No. 2 in preseason.

This season, the AP preseason poll includes teams like Wichita State, Iowa State, San Diego State, Nebraska, SMU, Harvard ... not Arkansas. Kool-Aid comes without sugar right now.

Arkansas's a consensus third place pick in the SEC, but right behind them are at least seven teams that could be decent.

The nonconference schedule is amazing in context with Arkansas history. Three true road games against high-majors by the first week of December - that's strong. Home games against Wake Forest, Iona and Dayton, that's solid too. Even a lot of the lesser opponents are very competent programs.

To me, the moment of truth is Tuesday, Jan. 6 at Georgia -- SEC opener on the road.

Last year the Hogs opened SEC play on the road -- lost 69-53 to Texas A&M in a miserable, intolerable performance.

Weirdly, Arkansas also had its SEC opener on the road at Texas A&M in 2013, losing by almost the same score, 69-51.

Arkansas in recent times lost its first SEC road game even when the opponent was mediocre to bad. The Hogs last won their conference road opener in 2008 -- at Auburn (a height-challenged team that finished 14-16).

Does Mike Anderson have a solution for those road games against slow-tempo opponents? Will the Porkers re-enter the negative feedback loop of missed shot, no rebound, beaten downcourt, missed shot ... ?

If you look at the really miserable games last season ...

Cal Part 1 -- Arkansas shot 38% inside. Cal got 51% of possible offensive rebounds, a sick number, and shot 51% inside.

Texas A&M -- Arkansas shot 44% inside, 21% outside, 50% at the line. Had a negative TO margin. Rebounded only 24% of its own missed shots. Aggies got 10 steals, seven blocks, shot 41% from the arc and outscored the Hogs 14-7 at the line.

Alabama -- Arkansas shot 26% inside and got only eight offensive rebounds while missing a stunning 33 shots. Bama made 62% of its inside shots and rebounded 41% of its misses.

South Carolina -- Arkansas shot 3-14 (21%) from the perimeter and was outscored 30-20 at the line. The Gamecocks did not shoot well inside but grabbed 48% of their misses. They also made 42% from 3-pt range. SC got 17 rebounds from non-bigs vs. the Hogs' 6 (not that the big guys got many boards either).

Cal Part 2 -- Arkansas shot 39% inside, allowed the Bears to make 61%. Better, the Razorblanks were 4-24 (17%) from outside while Cal made 43%. And outscored 17-10 at the line. The Hogs focused so much on rebounding that the defense went to nothing.

Arkansas found different ways to lose. In general, the Hogs were unable to extend the defense. If they tried, the D would soften somewhere and rebounding would suffer too. In four of the ugly defeats, Arkansas couldn't buy a basket inside the arc. Offensive rebounding was poor in three of these. Interior D was bad in three.

Good Arkansas teams always have been efficient on the offensive end and tough on defense. Rebounding has not always been good, but it has been adequate to keep from undermining defensive stops. In my view, we have reason to expect the Hogs to score pretty well this season. Rebounding should be much better without having to play a bunch of guys who don't board. Defense is the question mark to me.

But even if the scoring is better, will Arkansas curl up and die on the road against opponents that don't want to run? Road games this year are Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky and South Carolina.
[CENSORED]!

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on November 07, 2014, 10:57:40 am
I'm feeling a bit different. No, there isn't the feeling we had going into the 1990-91 season, or '93-94. Then it was a sure thing -- no doubt the Razorbacks would be top 10, top 5 caliber. Heck, it was easy when the Hogs were ranked No. 1, No. 2 in preseason.

This season, the AP preseason poll includes teams like Wichita State, Iowa State, San Diego State, Nebraska, SMU, Harvard ... not Arkansas. Kool-Aid comes without sugar right now.

Arkansas's a consensus third place pick in the SEC, but right behind them are at least seven teams that could be decent.

The nonconference schedule is amazing in context with Arkansas history. Three true road games against high-majors by the first week of December - that's strong. Home games against Wake Forest, Iona and Dayton, that's solid too. Even a lot of the lesser opponents are very competent programs.

To me, the moment of truth is Tuesday, Jan. 6 at Georgia -- SEC opener on the road.

Last year the Hogs opened SEC play on the road -- lost 69-53 to Texas A&M in a miserable, intolerable performance.

Weirdly, Arkansas also had its SEC opener on the road at Texas A&M in 2013, losing by almost the same score, 69-51.

Arkansas in recent times lost its first SEC road game even when the opponent was mediocre to bad. The Hogs last won their conference road opener in 2008 -- at Auburn (a height-challenged team that finished 14-16).

Does Mike Anderson have a solution for those road games against slow-tempo opponents? Will the Porkers re-enter the negative feedback loop of missed shot, no rebound, beaten downcourt, missed shot ... ?

If you look at the really miserable games last season ...

Cal Part 1 -- Arkansas shot 38% inside. Cal got 51% of possible offensive rebounds, a sick number, and shot 51% inside.

Texas A&M -- Arkansas shot 44% inside, 21% outside, 50% at the line. Had a negative TO margin. Rebounded only 24% of its own missed shots. Aggies got 10 steals, seven blocks, shot 41% from the arc and outscored the Hogs 14-7 at the line.

Alabama -- Arkansas shot 26% inside and got only eight offensive rebounds while missing a stunning 33 shots. Bama made 62% of its inside shots and rebounded 41% of its misses.

South Carolina -- Arkansas shot 3-14 (21%) from the perimeter and was outscored 30-20 at the line. The Gamecocks did not shoot well inside but grabbed 48% of their misses. They also made 42% from 3-pt range. SC got 17 rebounds from non-bigs vs. the Hogs' 6 (not that the big guys got many boards either).

Cal Part 2 -- Arkansas shot 39% inside, allowed the Bears to make 61%. Better, the Razorblanks were 4-24 (17%) from outside while Cal made 43%. And outscored 17-10 at the line. The Hogs focused so much on rebounding that the defense went to nothing.

Arkansas found different ways to lose. In general, the Hogs were unable to extend the defense. If they tried, the D would soften somewhere and rebounding would suffer too. In four of the ugly defeats, Arkansas couldn't buy a basket inside the arc. Offensive rebounding was poor in three of these. Interior D was bad in three.

Good Arkansas teams always have been efficient on the offensive end and tough on defense. Rebounding has not always been good, but it has been adequate to keep from undermining defensive stops. In my view, we have reason to expect the Hogs to score pretty well this season. Rebounding should be much better without having to play a bunch of guys who don't board. Defense is the question mark to me.

But even if the scoring is better, will Arkansas curl up and die on the road against opponents that don't want to run? Road games this year are Georgia, Tennessee, Missouri, Florida, Auburn, Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Kentucky and South Carolina.

I still question whether we will be tough enogh to win on the road too. Too many times Qualls and Harris disappear when it really counts. Those guys will be huges factors to our success on the road this year.

I LOVE the upgrades at the guard positions. Beard, Durham, Babb replace Wade, Haydar and Gulley.

hawginbigd1

Coty Clark will be tough to replace, i thought he was easily one of the MVP's with his effort, and defensive ability.

I expect a better year, but for MA/Nolan's system to work you have to have people who can shoot and create their shot from the perimeter consistently. We have yet to find that consistently for the last decade or better. If Bell can play better defense and handle the ball more effectively to keep him in the game, we have a shot at being pretty decent at shooting the perimeter jumper with some consistency.

Hollywood_HOGan45

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on November 07, 2014, 01:15:47 pm

I expect a better year, but for MA/Nolan's system to work you have to have people who can shoot and create their shot from the perimeter consistently. We have yet to find that consistently for the last decade or better.

[attachment deleted by admin]

oldbooniehog

That packet of red Kool-Aid is still sitting on the shelf, unopened.

And I don't have a smiley-face "oh yeah" pitcher to put it in yet.