Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Hire Another Mediocre Coach

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackAlways

Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

bphi11ips

Bret Bielema was about as big a name as we could have hired in 2013.  Wait a bit and see what happens. 
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Porkchop#1

I admit I liked those 10 & 11 win seasons a lot better than what we've been getting.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm
Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

What was LSU thinking when they hired Saban? You never know until the coach gets here.

GunnerHawg70

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
Georgia - Mark Richt

Normally I would kinda snarl and say let it go, CBP days are long behind us but I see what you did here and have to say I agree with you.  The only thing I can say is CBP was mentioned usually as an offensive mastermind or snake in the grass or wolf in sheep's clothing.  Even the media figured CBP was a goner before the motorcycle fiasco and I'm inclined to believe he would've left for another school primed to make a National Championship run not just skirting on the possibility of finishing 2nd in the SEC West because Bama and Saban owned CBP...52-0 x's 2   :-\

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 04:07:58 pm
Bret Bielema was about as big a name as we could have hired in 2013.  Wait a bit and see what happens.

I think you and I have different definitions of "a bit"......this is year 5 ?  He lost with Bobby's players....now losing with his!!

PorkSoda

While I expect it will be 2 more  years before we are in a position to make a move, I agree, if we do decide to get a new coach, it needs to be an upgrade or its pointless. 

keep in mind, CBB was a 'name' coach when we hired him, and people couldn't believe he would leave Wisconsin for lowly Arkansas. 

So I'm thinking that it will be time to roll the dice on an up and comer.  bring them in cheap and let them earn higher pay through incentives.   

but whatever we do, Long needs to do in depth research, bring in analysts, whatever he has to do to find someone with that IT factor.  If they don't have IT, then move on to the next one.

Its time for a new strategy.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 04:11:15 pm
While I expect it will be 2 more  years before we are in a position to make a move, I agree, if we do decide to get a new coach, it needs to be an upgrade or its pointless. 

keep in mind, CBB was a 'name' coach when we hired him, and people couldn't believe he would leave Wisconsin for lowly Arkansas. 

So I'm thinking that it will be time to roll the dice on an up and comer.  bring them in cheap and let them earn higher pay through incentives.   

but whatever we do, Long needs to do in depth research, bring in analysts, whatever he has to do to find someone with that IT factor.  If they don't have IT, then move on to the next one.

Its time for a new strategy.
Ill through in 1 more item....a coach that runs a little more open offense. Ground and pound won't work for us.

RazorPiggie

I'm sorry but if you take the name out of it and said we hired a coach that just went to 3 straight BCS games and won almost 75% of his games at a P5 school. Not many people are going to turn that down.

Wildhog

lol, I'm suspicious of any "big name" that wants to come to Arkansas.  They're either an overrated coach or have serious baggage.

Find a hungry up-and-comer.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on September 19, 2017, 04:13:40 pm
Ill through in 1 more item....a coach that runs a little more open offense. Ground and pound won't work for us.

I don't care if we are running the wing T as long as we win. I don't understand why people want an open offense. Just win.

Wildhog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:16:25 pm
I don't care if we are running the wing T as long as we win. I don't understand why people want an open offense. Just win.

I think people feel like that's the best way to maximize the talent that we're able to recruit. 
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

kaki

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
Georgia - Mark Richt

Why all the crude/tough guy talk?  Neither impressed with your contribution to the board or your style.  I am sure when Coach B was hired, Long thought, I can make a great hire or I can hire Coach B.  We all know how easy it is to hit a Coaching home run, so shame on Long for not hitting the long ball.

bphi11ips

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on September 19, 2017, 04:11:07 pm
I think you and I have different definitions of "a bit"......this is year 5 ?  He lost with Bobby's players....now losing with his!!

See the Research Project thread.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: kaki on September 19, 2017, 04:18:33 pm
Why all the crude/tough guy talk?  Neither impressed with your contribution to the board or your style.  I am sure when Coach B was hired, Long thought, I can make a great hire or I can hire Coach B.  We all know how easy it is to hit a Coaching home run, so shame on Long for not hitting the long ball.

It was more of a pep talk. Get fired up. Otherwise take a bath in mediocrity.

GunnerHawg70

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:14:05 pm
I'm sorry but if you take the name out of it and said we hired a coach that just went to 3 straight BCS games and won almost 75% of his games at a P5 school. Not many people are going to turn that down.

Hahahaha!!!  C'mon bro, this is HV you're communicating with...Did you really thing your common sense and spot on post was going to resonate with HV?!?! I'm with ya buddy if no one else will roll with your positivity. :)

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: GunnerHawg70 on September 19, 2017, 04:22:11 pm
Hahahaha!!!  C'mon bro, this is HV you're communicating with...Did you really thing your common sense and spot on post was going to resonate with HV?!?! I'm with ya buddy if no one else will roll with your positivity. :)

Sometimes the IT factor is bigger than common sense. See American presidential elections since 1960.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:17:40 pm
I think people feel like that's the best way to maximize the talent that we're able to recruit. 

If that's what we have to do then I'm fine with that but there's more than one way to skin a cat.

Pistol Pig Maravich

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:26:26 pm
If that's what we have to do then I'm fine with that but there's more than one way to skin a cat.
If you take away the Bama beatings during Bobby's tenure....at least when we lost we did it with some excitement. This past weekend was the most uninspired boring crap I have sat through in a long time. TCU is good....but not that freaking good...on our home field no less.

King Kong

CBB's resume was far from Medicore prior to coming here.

Has it worked out? No. Really there isn't anyway to know if they are going mediocre or not. Saban wasn't super impressive at MSU.

Les was just okay at OSU. Meyer was great at some small schools. But for every Meyer there is a Darrell Hazell or Dave Doeren.

Richt was just an OC no way to know if he would have been good or been a Lane Kiffin type HC.

Spurrier was always great but you have to get lucky that a guy like that goes pro and the timing works out.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on September 19, 2017, 04:13:40 pm
yeah, 'ground n pound' is a total ego thing for CBB.  its not a result of selecting the most effective offensive strategy.  We need someone who is a strategist, not someone who is married to a particular style.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: King Kong on September 19, 2017, 04:32:37 pm
CBB's resume was far from Medicore prior to coming here.

Has it worked out? No. Really there isn't anyway to know if they are going mediocre or not. Saban wasn't super impressive at MSU.

Les was just okay at OSU. Meyer was great at some small schools. But for every Meyer there is a Darrell Hazell or Dave Doeren.

Richt was just an OC no way to know if he would have been good or been a Lane Kiffin type HC.

Spurrier was always great but you have to get lucky that a guy like that goes pro and the timing works out.

When Petrino was hired, you just knew. You just knew. I cant explain it, but you just knew.

I want to have that kind of confidence again.

PorkSoda

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:16:25 pm
I care, because the wing T isn't going to win. 

PorkSoda

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:36:10 pm
When Petrino was hired, you just knew. You just knew. I cant explain it, but you just knew.

thats true.  when CBB was hired, I hoped it would work out.  but when CBP was hired I had no doubt that we were going to be a very good football team in a couple years.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:25:08 pm
Sometimes the IT factor is bigger than common sense. See American presidential elections since 1960.

Agreed with you OP, but who you going to hire? Those guys aren't coming here. I want CBB out after the season but the coaching search will be difficulty even if we swallow or negotiate the buyout.

Or sweep our conference schedule and play in Atlanta  ;) I can dream

Most frustrating thing for me is how down the SEC is and we can't take advantage. Could be number 2-3 in conference right now if we could capitalize.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

WilsonHog

Do any of you really think we landed Petrino because he thought we had one of the best jobs in the country? C'mon. It was a marriage of convenience. He wanted out of Atlanta, and we were the best option at the time.

Bielema came here because he wanted to test himself in the SEC. It is rare for coaches to make the kind of move he made, because there is too much parity in the money to be made. So, tell me again why a top of the line, established head coach is going to come to a job that has been middling at best for a generation?

DEVIL DOG HOG

"I love college football. It's the time of the year you can walk down the street with a girl on one arm and a blanket on the other, and nobody thinks twice about it." DUFFY DAUGHERTY

GO GREEN!

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 04:51:16 pm
Do any of you really think we landed Petrino because he thought we had one of the best jobs in the country? C'mon. It was a marriage of convenience. He wanted out of Atlanta, and we were the best option at the time.

Bielema came here because he wanted to test himself in the SEC. It is rare for coaches to make the kind of move he made, because there is too much parity in the money to be made. So, tell me again why a top of the line, established head coach is going to come to a job that has been middling at best for a generation?

Ding ding

We have to get lucky with convenience again or play the hot shot up and comer lottery.

The_Iceman

Bret is not a bad coach. He just hasn't gotten the job done. His hasn't solved his kicker problem, and he doesn't have the dominant OL he needs to succeed. Bielema doesn't need just a good O-line, he needs a great one. We haven't had that in 2 years.

We should have had 10 wins in 2015 and 9 in 2016. Easily. But we didn't because he blew it. That's the sad thing. He is good enough, he just didn't get it done.

King Kong

I think we all want that. But outside of hiring Chip that isn't happening

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 04:58:15 pm
Bret is not a bad coach. He just hasn't gotten the job done. His hasn't solved his kicker problem, and he doesn't have the dominant OL he needs to succeed. Bielema doesn't need just a good O-line, he needs a great one. We haven't had that in 2 years.

We should have had 10 wins in 2015 and 9 in 2016. Easily. But we didn't because he blew it. That's the sad thing. He is good enough, he just didn't get it done.

That is exactly what separates the below avergage, good, and great. Saban, Meyer, Fischer, they all have close games. They just win them more often, execute better, finish smarter, finish stronger.

CBB doesn't do those things well. Which makes him just another coach. Really like him on a personal level, as a coach he is average.

EulessHog

I think when the focus of fans is on the buyout and how we find a great coach before the current coach leaves, you've lost.

CBB never had control of his players (2nd half of last two games of 2016).  He leaves it all to his mediocre assistants and looks surprised when the players don't perform.  If any of his assistants are worth their salt, they see the writing on the wall and exit quickly.  Bielema is about the money and his family.  The Razorbacks just get in the way.

Hopefully, someone with ties to the state will ante up the bug bucks to buy his large rear end out. 
Go Hogs Go!

Jek Tono Porkins

Quote from: The_Iceman on September 19, 2017, 04:58:15 pm

I agree. He would be successful in another situation. If Kirk Ferentz hadn't received a contract extension through 2026 (at which point he will be 71 years old) I would say that Bielema might be willing to leave Arkansas for Iowa in a move that would be good for both parties. He'd be back in the Big Ten where his style translates into more victories and we'd be free of a buyout problem. Darn the Iowa AD.
I have known the troubles I was born to know
I have wanted things a poor man's born to want
And in all my dreams and memories I go running
Through the fields of Arkansas from which I sprung

DoctorSusscrofa

Every HV poster should be required to put up a deposit when we hire a new coach. Their evaluation of the coach's ability should be registered with the deposit. Every poster who gets it wrong should lose their deposit and have their wrong prediction published in a statewide paper.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

Ex-Trumpet

Wait, so the goal is to not hire a mediocre coach?
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

ArkansasI

I felt the same way.

When Bret was hired I was mostly dumbfounded...  I believed him to be a fine coach, but he simply wasn't on my radar.  I was praying for Chris Petersen - viewed Chris as the "Good Bobby".  Bret was announced and I was like, "Did somebody shoot his dog in Madison?"

Strange thing is - Razorback fans don't seem to have fully engaged with Bret.  It's a real shame, too - we would have welcomed him just about any other time in our history.  Here's a guy who came from an excellent program where he enjoyed great success.  He espoused bravado at a time we greatly needed it.  He sounds good in interviews (post-practice, before and during games; not so much post-game).  And he's the son of a pig farmer - how has he not further endeared himself to us?

Most national pundits couldn't understand why he'd come to Arkansas.  The SEC West was, and arguably is, the toughest conference in college football.  There are better jobs to ascend from Wisconsin.  I guarantee our next hire - whenever that occurs - will not evoke similar beliefs from the media or come from a program comparable to Wisconsin.

Bret arrived at such a bad time... we were still licking our wounds after great embarrassments - off the field and then on it.  The camel's back was broken.  And Bret's bravado was ill-timed.  We were so full of self-pity that his traditional "coach speak" caused many of us to criticize him!  WTH?

Five years later and things are not right on the Hill - doesn't take a genius to figure that out.  But I'm still rooting for the Hogs, and I'm rooting damn near as hard for Bret Bielema.  He's brought in good men to the football program that are easy to root for.  It's time we stop feeling sorry for all the crap that has happened to our football program and return to being Razorback fans.

If Bret doesn't get it done, we're going to have a helluva time finding somebody who will.  I know that there are plenty of coaches that are worth a shot, and I'm perfectly satisfied that we may need to go shopping for one.  Just not yet.  I'd like to see if we can be the kind of fans that showed up when there were just 44,000 of us.  We held on to the rope a lot harder back then.  Had a lot more fun, too.

Bebop

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:14:05 pm

Behind this rubric the truth appears: Bielema didn't build Wisconsin into what it has become, Alavrez did. In my opinion, I believe that Alavrez was more of an impact on Bielema's success than we realize

Arkansas Fan

When will you people understand that a big name doesn't guarantee success?

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: Bebop on September 19, 2017, 05:34:00 pm
Behind this rubric the truth appears: Bielema didn't build Wisconsin into what it has become, Alavrez did. In my opinion, I believe that Alavrez was more of an impact on Bielema's success than we realize

I believe Alvarez has had more of an impact on Wisconsin's overall success since he retired from the HC position than we realize.

Porkette

Our hiring of BB out of the Big 10 was a pretty simliar hire to LSU hiring Saban out of the Big 10 (and however it happened, BB did actually have a better resume).

Unfortunately for Jeff Long and for us, we just don't have a crystal to know how these things will turn out.

GO HOGS GO!

247Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 04:07:58 pm

Agree. Very frustrated with what we show on the field but anyone here says he was a mediocre coach when we hired him is ignorant. If we hired a guy today that went to the rose bowl the past 3 years, they would say home run hire.

2013 was an excellent hire.

Today it was a mediocre hire.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

daBoar

Quote from: WilsonHog on September 19, 2017, 04:51:16 pm

So, tell me again why a top of the line, established head coach is going to come to a job that has been middling at best for a generation?
That's true...........And, I think Vandy has passed us, too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Let's see...it's still pretty early to be very accurate, but what other jobs might be open after this season that could be considered more attractive than Arkansas?

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

How many good coaches bypass those schools (if offered) to come to Arkansas?
Go Hogs Go!

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 19, 2017, 05:35:21 pm
When will you people understand that a big name doesn't guarantee success?

Somehow, I have to disagree with you when it comes to college football.

Arkansas Fan

Arkansas Fan

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 06:03:57 pm
Let's see...it's still pretty early to be very accurate, but what other jobs might be open after this season that could be considered more attractive than Arkansas?

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

I guess we're in for yet another long offseason leading to a mediocre to terrible football season in 2018, then.

Hoggiedawg

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

Still not a reason to retain the crap we have.

jkstock04

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:15:59 pm
lol, I'm suspicious of any "big name" that wants to come to Arkansas.  They're either an overrated coach or have serious baggage.

Find a hungry up-and-comer.
This times a million!
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

MuskogeeHogFan

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn
8. Ole Miss

Oh yeah, let's add Ole Miss to that list as well.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 19, 2017, 06:08:56 pm
How?

Well, I mean which smaller name in recent memory has done exceptionally well on the national level in a consistent manner? James Franklin? He's 1 in a million.

Theres just a big difference between established powers and up and comers.

Some coaches have it, some dont. Its an unexplainable X factor.