Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson said it best today about the cheaters in college basketball

Started by forrest city joe, October 03, 2017, 03:20:19 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

porkinsons disease

This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

azhog10

Quote from: porkinsons disease on October 05, 2017, 11:53:14 pm
Pel cleaned up the APR so that was not an issue.
I've seen this stated a number of times but it's so patently false. Pel was far from being above board and doing things the right way.......and he still lost.

Atlhogfan1

"The APR is a four-year look at a team's classroom performance and this year's data covers the 2008-09 to 2011-12 academic years. Points are awarded for a scholarship athlete's retention and academic eligibility.

Improving Arkansas basketball's APR has been a lengthy and challenging process for a program hurt most by the single-year score of 755 from the 2007-08 academic year. The Razorbacks suffered a scholarship loss two years ago and consistently faced the possibility of other penalties like loss of practice time or postseason bans."

True. 

Where the APR may have hindered MA early is he couldn't turn the roster over to bring in his type of players.  But given it has taken to the end of season 6 or season 7 to begin to see his type of team, not sure how much difference it would have made. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

ShadowHawg

Pel cleaned up the APR so that was not an issue. 4-5 SEC teams making the tourney is the norm. Are we that far down the pecking order? Only KY and Florida (debateable) have a richer history than us. Making the tourney should not be magical,but an expectation every year

In the DECADE prior to MA we only won 38% of our conference games. Only South Carolina and Auburn were worse.

Right now, that decade is still affecting the perception of the program outside the borders of this state. This season is critical, IMO, to changing that.

So yes, our program is that far down the pecking order in terms of perception.

FineAsSwine

Pel cleaned up the APR so that was not an issue. 4-5 SEC teams making the tourney is the norm. Are we that far down the pecking order? Only KY and Florida (debateable) have a richer history than us. Making the tourney should not be magical,but an expectation every year

Pretty sure a lot of delusional Cornhuskers fans feel they have a pretty rich history and therefore should be competing for a national championship, finishing in the top 10 every year and pulling in star studded recruiting classes just because that's the way things used to be.

Well, newsflash! That don't amount to a hill of beans. Cornhusker football should tell you all about just how much things can change for a once "storied" program and how success in the distant past has nothing to do with success in today's environment.

Thank God for CMA taking a huge career risk and coming here to help the school he loves. I am so glad he doesn't hold the ignorance of a few people against the rest of the fan base. He wants to be here. I love it and I am darned happy about it. I wish him all the success in the world against the cheating slime he has to fight on the recruiting trail and against the mercenary "student athletes" who will fight for the school that pays the most.

Some people even get mad when FCJ talks about his love for CMA doing things the right way and helping this program get back on its feet. Well, I got FCJ's back on this one.

Thank God for CMA! We got lucky and got a man of integrity. People said he was lazy and didn't know how to recruit and a whole bunch of other ugly and uninformed comments. Now, the FBI has vindicated our guys approach to recruiting when some ignoramuses on here wanted us to hire a bagman as a recruiter. I really wish some of you would root for another team.

Hogs up! Covid down!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on October 04, 2017, 10:46:05 am
They dont view the ncaat as the measuring stick for Mike, just w's and l's, even though all of college basketball uses the ncaat, making it or not and staying for at least 2 weekends as a measuring stick. Nope, for Mike just pile up some wins, and let the warm fuzzy memories of 1994 wash over everyone.

So Mike is at a disadvantage because he won't cheat, if so, good for him. But the football coach should be doing what even though his program appears to be clean too? That is the hypocrisy of the Mike Anderson PR crew here in jump ball. FCJ will come to mmqb and rail about BB being a failure, but 2 ncaat's in 6 years is a blazing success in basketball.

Joe isn't the only one that does things like that, there's that guy named Hogsanity that come to Jump Ball....

In fact it's pretty common for folk who are more fans of one coach or team to do that.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: FineAsSwine on October 06, 2017, 09:50:45 am
Pretty sure a lot of delusional Cornhuskers fans feel they have a pretty rich history and therefore should be competing for a national championship, finishing in the top 10 every year and pulling in star studded recruiting classes just because that's the way things used to be.

Well, newsflash! That don't amount to a hill of beans. Cornhusker football should tell you all about just how much things can change for a once "storied" program and how success in the distant past has nothing to do with success in today's environment.

Thank God for CMA taking a huge career risk and coming here to help the school he loves. I am so glad he doesn't hold the ignorance of a few people against the rest of the fan base. He wants to be here. I love it and I am darned happy about it. I wish him all the success in the world against the cheating slime he has to fight on the recruiting trail and against the mercenary "student athletes" who will fight for the school that pays the most.

Some people even get mad when FCJ talks about his love for CMA doing things the right way and helping this program get back on its feet. Well, I got FCJ's back on this one.

Thank God for CMA! We got lucky and got a man of integrity. People said he was lazy and didn't know how to recruit and a whole bunch of other ugly and uninformed comments. Now, the FBI has vindicated our guys approach to recruiting when some ignoramuses on here wanted us to hire a bagman as a recruiter. I really wish some of you would root for another team.

Don't disagree with you but one thing I would point out that different between Husker football and Arkansas basketball is, if you could get them all you could be nationally relevant in basketball just off Arkansas players.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on October 06, 2017, 10:02:38 am
Don't disagree with you but one thing I would point out that different between Husker football and Arkansas basketball is, if you could get them all you could be nationally relevant in basketball just off Arkansas players.

When CMA got here there wasn't nearly as much Arkansas talent to build a team off of, just one or maybe two really good targets a year. That talent level has quickly risen over the past few years in terms of depth and we are loading up.

CMA gets credit for making local kids see us as a destination spot. We missed on a few who made "business decisions" but other than that, CMA is knocking it out of the park with our local kids.
Hogs up! Covid down!

Little Lady Back

Well said, Fine!
#NolanRichardsonCourt

hogsanity

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

FineAsSwine

Quote from: hogsanity on October 06, 2017, 11:10:28 am
Do you feel that way about the AD as well?

I think we did make a great hire with the AD. He got us Petrino which I think was a great coup but Petrino mucked that up. He got us a successful Big 10 coach who looked like a great fit at the time. CBB hasn't had the success we wanted to see on the field yet but I don't want to see a change there unless we just bottom out this year and I don't see that happening, especially in a weak SEC this year.

Jeff Long wants to win but he also wants to do it in a way that doesn't besmirch the reputation of the UA. I think he has a fiduciary duty to do things that way whether we fans like it or not. I'm not mad at Jeff, its hard to build a program quickly unless you have a lot of built in advantages or you break rules.

People talk a lot of smack about CBB not having the Oline ready to compete but Florida State and Jimbo Fisher have the same problem with a team loaded with all stars.

It takes longer to build at Arkansas. I've seen it play out over decades. I'm not a newby. Even if CBB doesn't get it done. I'm still good with JL.
Hogs up! Covid down!

porkinsons disease

Not sure where anyone was expecting a national championship from a coach that sat next to a great coach 23 years ago. Some of us "ignorant" fans just would like to be in the conversation on selection sunday. So far, that has not happened more often than it has. It is what it is. Coach Anderson is a very nice man that has shown to have integrity. These days that seems to be more than enough.Go Hogs
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Slater

Quote from: hogsanity on October 03, 2017, 04:25:49 pm
Really? I don't think we have ever heard that from you before.

And before you start, go look at my posts and you will see I have said MANY TIMES there has never been a hint of scandal around Mike Anderson, and that is a very good thing.

Some of us like winning the clean way, free of scandal, cheating, fraud. Why bash a real fan for liking CMA? 
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

LR_Matt

Heard MA's quote on the radio during commercial. On the next segment they were taking about beard and the counterfeit money then some other legal trouble of players. So, I'm confused, is he full of it or does he actually believe he's clean. I mean, if Calipari is responsible for Rose's SAT or whatever then CMA is responsible as well. 

ShadowHawg

Quote from: LR_Matt on October 08, 2017, 03:37:09 pm
Heard MA's quote on the radio during commercial. On the next segment they were taking about beard and the counterfeit money then some other legal trouble of players. So, I'm confused, is he full of it or does he actually believe he's clean. I mean, if Calipari is responsible for Rose's SAT or whatever then CMA is responsible as well.

Are you serious?

azhog10

Quote from: zuko on October 08, 2017, 06:54:06 pm
Look, let's not get carried away with what Mike Anderson says. He's been blaming everybody but himself because he really doesn't have a successful program and he's been allowed to be at it too long. Aren't his people there via scholarships which are given for the players to come to play for Arkansas. So, do you think the fans just want to sit back and watch basketball players graduate without winning any conferences or  going on to play after season tournaments.?
Where have you been?

elksnort

Without reading anymore, I will say that CMA's team left me feeling much better about the basketball program by taking the eventual national champions down to the wire.

And yes, I was very critical of CMA. I think he has finally turned the program around. Barford and Macon could end up being his "revolutionary war heroes" if the winning continues.

Crossing this over the sports, I will say that basketball does not take as long or should not to build, but I really think CMA might have them in the right direction. As for CBB, I see zero hope that he is the answer.

azhog10

Remember the survey or thread that asked which program you had more confidence in? Overwhelming majority felt better about football. My how quick things have turned.

elksnort

Quote from: azhog10 on October 11, 2017, 03:24:35 pm
Remember the survey or thread that asked which program you had more confidence in? Overwhelming majority felt better about football. My how quick things have turned.
I agree with you. And I am "guilty" of having a perception change of this.

CMA has won at every one of his coaching stops. CBB'S product looks like garbage, in spite of having enough talent to at least to much better than they are doing.

And I will add that in basketball you get about 30 chances a year to show what you got. Of course with football, this number is around 12. So there's this.

azhog10

Quote from: elksnort on October 11, 2017, 03:47:17 pm
I agree with you. And I am "guilty" of having a perception change of this.

CMA has won at every one of his coaching stops. CBB'S product looks like garbage, in spite of having enough talent to at least to much better than they are doing.

And I will add that in basketball you get about 30 chances a year to show what you got. Of course with football, this number is around 12. So there's this.
Agree, you also get a week to prepare for each of those games. In basketball most times you are lucky if you get two days once the season gets rolling.

Youngsta71701

Quote from: hogsanity on October 05, 2017, 02:23:18 pm
yet just two seasons ago, when they missed the post season you continually pointed out they were just off a ncaat appearance What have you done lately only applies if it fits your agenda to proclaim Mike the greatest basketball coach ever.

Better? No. Equivalent based on the sport? Yes.
I'm still trying to find out when I said Mike was the greatest basketball coach ever? What I did say and will continue to say is that Mike is a much better coach than you will ever give him credit for because for some reason you just don't like him and refuse to give him credit for anything good while at the same time giving him blame for any and everything that goes bad. And I also believe Mike is a good fit for Arkansas. Believe it or not fit matters. Ask your football coach ;).
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Youngsta71701

Quote from: LR_Matt on October 08, 2017, 03:37:09 pm
You do know there is a difference right? Calipari knew all about Rose's SAT scandal. Do you think CMA told Beard and Williams to spend counterfeit money?
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Science Fiction Greg

Quote from: hogsanity on October 05, 2017, 02:23:18 pm

Better? No. Equivalent based on the sport? Yes.

This alone is more than enough to completely dismiss any opinion you have about a basketball coach.
I spend all my time playing Trackmania, and various board games. You might remember me as Corndog7 or PossibleOatmeal.
Twitter sucks now. I deleted my account. I mostly just use TikTok now.