Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A couple of observations from viewing the 1987 Texas Game yesterday

Started by WizardofhOgZ, June 25, 2017, 11:03:54 am

Previous topic - Next topic

WizardofhOgZ

I rarely watch anything on the LHN, but it was added to my line up of channels a couple of years ago. Scanning for something to watch last week, I noticed that a replay of the 1987 gut-wrenching loss to Texas was going to be shown at something like 3 AM in the morning one day - so, I set the DVR to record it.

Now, I know many of you have NO interest in re-watching a game we have lost. I understand that decision, and respect it. For myself, if it's a game I originally watched that I have not seen for 20-30 years, I generally am interested in reviewing it. I'm that way with old movies too - something about transporting me back to that "time and place" that appeals to me.

Anyway, I did record the game, and watched it yesterday (2 hour version with some action omitted). I had remembered that game primarily for the way it ended - with Texas scoring a TD on literally the last play of the game, after we had led the entire way - and the fallout from it that ultimately led to Hatfield moving on.

I also remembered that we had a difficult QB situation (due to injuries and inexperience) that led to Hatfield's decision to not throw any passes in the second half (which led to the following 'joke' that made the rounds in Arkansas over the next few weeks: Q - "Why did it take 6 hours for the players and coaches to bus home to Fayetteville after the game?" A - "Because Hatfield would not allow the bus driver to pass").

What I had forgotten is that on the very first play of the game, Greg Thomas threw a perfect long pass to Derek Russell that he dropped at the 8 yard line. He would have scored a TD had he simply held on to a pass that hit him exactly where you'd want a pass to land.

The other thing I had forgotten - and not that it makes any difference one way or the other - is that Lee Corso was the color man for that game. Due to his health and advancing age, Lee today is just a shell of the opinionated person he used to be. He had quite a few 'hot sports opinions' during the game.

One last thing, and it is an impression more than anything else. I hadn't forgotten, but had not thought about how much I enjoyed watching James Rouse run in a while. He often gets overlooked when people talk about the great running backs at Arkansas, and it is true that injuries kept him from realizing his full potential over his entire career. That said, he was productive for many games, and had outstanding acceleration for a man of his size.

The impression is that Devwah Whaley reminds me of James, to some degree. Rouse was considered a "big back" in his day, but he and Devwah are/were about the same size and speed. Both have a little more 'wiggle' than you might expect for a runner of that size, and very good speed.

Bacons Rebellion

That counterplay handoff to Rouse killed many an opponent.

RedSkiesAtNightHog

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 25, 2017, 11:03:54 am
I rarely watch anything on the LHN, but it was added to my line up of channels a couple of years ago. Scanning for something to watch last week, I noticed that a replay of the 1987 gut-wrenching loss to Texas was going to be shown at something like 3 AM in the morning one day - so, I set the DVR to record it.

Now, I know many of you have NO interest in re-watching a game we have lost. I understand that decision, and respect it. For myself, if it's a game I originally watched that I have not seen for 20-30 years, I generally am interested in reviewing it. I'm that way with old movies to - something about transporting me back to that "time and place" that appeals to me.

Anyway, I did record the game, and watched it yesterday (2 hour version with some action omitted). I had remembered that game primarily for the way it ended - with Texas scoring a TD on literally the last play of the game, after we had led the entire way - and the fallout from it that ultimately led to Hatfield moving on.

I also remembered that we had a difficult QB situation (due to injuries and inexperience) that led to Hatfield's decision to not throw any passes in the second half (which led to the following 'joke' that made the rounds in Arkansas over the next few weeks: Q - "Why did it take 6 hours for the players and coaches to bus home to Fayetteville after the game?" A - "Because Hatfield would not allow the buss driver to pass").

What I had forgotten is that on the very first play of the game, Greg Thomas threw a perfect long pass to Derek Russell that he dropped at the 8 yard line. He would have scored a TD had he simply held on to a pass that hit him exactly where you'd want a pass to land.

The other thing I had forgotten - and not that it makes any difference one way or the other - is that Lee Corso was the color man for that game. Due to his health and advancing age, Lee today is just a shell of the opinionated person he used to be. He had quite a few 'hot sports opinions' during the game.

One last thing, and it is an impression more than anything else. I hadn't forgotten, but had not thought about how much I enjoyed watching James Rouse run in a while. He often gets forgotten when people talk about the great running backs at Arkansas, and it is true that injuries kept him from realizing his full potential over his entire career. That said, he was productive for many games, and had outstanding acceleration for a man of his size.

The impression is that Devwah Whaley reminds me of James, to some degree. Rouse was considered a "big back" in his day, but he and Devwah are/were about the same size and speed. Both have a little more 'wiggle' than you might expect for a runner of that size, and very good speed.

Great memories!  Thanks for the post.  If only the youngsters could understand the pain and suffering inflicted on Arkansas by many a lesser Texas team! 

My Dad never got over 1969 until his death at the age of 85.  However, on his last trip to Austin in 2003, he got to watch Matt Jones and the Hogs crush the Longhorns, and he loved it!  He was a proud Razorback that day walking out of Royal-Memorial Stadium!

1highhog

Quote from: RedSkiesAtNightHog on June 26, 2017, 04:43:20 pm
Great memories!  Thanks for the post.  If only the youngsters could understand the pain and suffering inflicted on Arkansas by many a lesser Texas team! 

My Dad never got over 1969 until his death at the age of 85.  However, on his last trip to Austin in 2003, he got to watch Matt Jones and the Hogs crush the Longhorns, and he loved it!  He was a proud Razorback that day walking out of Royal-Memorial Stadium!

Precious memories.

Tejano Jawg

Wiz, while I don't seek out games like this, I'm not afraid to fight through them if they happen to be aired. For example, other than the really good documentary about the Big Shootout, I had never seen that game until about 2 years ago—thanks to our Longhorn Network. (That game is another topic, and I won't start it here.) Also, on the subject of 'pain', I had never seen a replay of the 1998 Tennessee game until about 4 or 5 months ago. I planned on turning it off before the fumble, but ended up watching the whole damn thing.

The details of the 1987 UT game, that you point out, are interesting—Corso, Hatfield's way too conservative tactics, the comparison of Whaley/Rouse (man, he was a stud), etc.

Also, it's a microcosm of so many Texas games in my football watching lifetime. The losses were so sickening, and many games—like this one—would have had a different outcome had just a play or two been different.

The comment by Red Skies sums it up—pain and suffering at the hands of Texas, especially when we were the better team. Enduring excruciating losses is simply part of a Razorback fan's emotional baggage.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Tejano Jawg on June 27, 2017, 12:09:04 pm
Wiz, while I don't seek out games like this, I'm not afraid to fight through them if they happen to be aired. For example, other than the really good documentary about the Big Shootout, I had never seen that game until about 2 years ago—thanks to our Longhorn Network.

I don't want to wander too far down that painful street here either.  However, I must point something out because it has bothered me for the last 17 years or so.

I had tried to get a copy of the Big Shootout since I first heard that it was occasionally replayed in Arkansas on the eve of subsequent Texas-Arkansas games in the latter 80's.  Keep in mind that this was before the ESPN Classic or internet era.  Eventually, I located someone who taped it (VHS) in Arkansas and sent it to me.  First time I watched the replay I was stunned how faithful my own memory was to the way the game played out.  To be sure, there were minor details I had forgotten (or, didn't notice in the high intensity of the moment way back in 1969, as we were shouting at the TV in real time).  But, for the most part, every gleeful and painful moment was seared into my memory all those years ago.

The problem I have is that - like most game replays you see these days - ESPN has condensed the game to fit their 2 hour broadcast window (inclusive of SEVERAL commercials).  Part of what they cut is one of THE key sequences of the game. 

After we scored the first TD of the game - right after Texas fumbled on their second snap - we kicked off to the Horns again and they started a slow drive up the field.  Shortly after they crossed midfield, Street tried his first pass of the game, a deep ball that safety Terry Stewart intercepted about our 8 yard line.  We then went on a long drive of our own, converting key 3rd downs with unexpected runs by Montgomery and passes to Dicus.  On a first down from the Texas 26, Montgomery faded back and threw a strike to Dicus, who was all alone and caught the ball about the Texas 5, then glided into the EZ.  The TD would have put us up 14-0 still in the first quarter.  Texas was clearly dazed, and Razorback Stadium exploded in euphoria.

However, in the frenzy of the TD celebration, the officials conferred briefly and then started trotting back with the ball, marking off a 15 yard penalty for "offensive interference" against us.  No further explanation was given, and the game moved on.  Texas sacked Montgomery a play or two later for a big loss, and we ended up punting.

For all those years, I never knew what that penalty was about.  After all, it was clear (from the replay of the TD catch) that there was no interference - either way - on Dicus.  He was wide open, and there was no contact. 

It was only during the lead up to the Y2K game vs. Texas in the Cotton Bowl that I found out what had happened.  In an article in the Dallas Morning News a day or two before that Cotton Bowl game, one of the Texas defensive backs - a son of one of their defensive coordinators (Campbell) - explained how the call came down.

Apparently, the original call on that play was a running play for us.  Bill Montgomery said that the coaches had told him to check the Texas defense for a particular "look" when they ran that running play.  If Texas was aligned that way, he was to audible to a pass to Dicus.  Montgomery said when he came to the line of scrimmage, checked the defense and saw that look, his heart skipped a beat, because he knew they had an excellent chance to score a TD.  He called the audible, and hit Dicus for the TD - just as expected.

However, due to crowd noise, John Rees - who was split out wide to the left (Dicus was flanked in the slot, well inside Rees) - did not hear the audible.  Therefore, he took a couple of steps and engaged in some light "chicken fighting" with DB Campbell near the East sidelines, 15-20 yards away from where Dicus caught the ball.

After the TD catch, as the extra point team was coming on the field for the PAT, Campbell walked up to one of the officials and said "hey . . . he blocked me.  That's pass interference".  Campbell admitted he was shocked when the official (who should have told him to shut up and go to his sideline), listened and said "you're right"; and then threw his flag. 

If you watch the version on ESPN Classic or the Longhorn Network, they go directly from the Stewart interception to the beginning of the second half, completely ignoring this HUGE sequence in the game.  And they show NONE of the second quarter - when we continued to stuff the Longhorn's wishbone.

Here is the ENTIRE game replay.  Drag the cursor to the 34:00 mark to see the Stewart interception, and the long TD drive that I discussed above.

Really good post. The disappointment after the last play of that game was terrible.

EastexHawg

I was headed to Nashville for a convention that day in 1987.  I stopped off to watch the game with my dad.  I KNEW what was going to happen at the end.  You can't throw away so many opportunities to put a rival away and let him keep hanging around that long without paying the price.  I was literally standing at the front door with my hand on the doorknob when Tony Jones caught the pass.  I didn't even wait for my dad to go into a tirade, I just walked out the door, got in my car, and drove to Meridian, Mississippi without saying a word to anyone.

Wildhog

Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Karma on June 27, 2017, 04:05:44 pm
Really good post. The disappointment after the last play of that game was terrible.

Coming, as it did, just a few weeks after (Jimmy Johnson's) Miami had decimated us on that same field, the mood quickly changed from disappointment to anger and finger pointing.  Even back to back SWC titles in the next two years could not assuage the masses . . . yet another among many dark chapters that long-time Hog fans have had to endure.

Inhogswetrust

That last play happened right in front of where we were sitting in the NEZ.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Jim Harris

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on June 25, 2017, 11:03:54 am

there's nothing literally about it, it WAS the last play of the game. It was so last that they didn't even have an extra point.
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

Hogs7672

I was at that game, maybe most disappointing Hog game. Coach Hatfield always started his Sunday show with a Bible verse, wasn't that Sundays verse...Jesus Wept..?  OK it is summer.. ;D

Tejano Jawg

Wiz, your story (in post #5) of the Dicus' nullified touchdown is a trip. Never knew about that. And you're right about that drive, it was incredible. More evil voodoo vs the Horns.

Before ever seeing this game, I'd heard about a few things—a missed call or two (against Texas, what else is new?) and Broyles not choosing to kick a field goal in the second half. So your offensive PI call just adds to the list.
Between McAfee being obnoxious and Corso decomposing before our eyes I can't even watch GameDay anymore. —Torqued Pork

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Jim Harris on June 28, 2017, 02:21:16 pm
there's nothing literally about it, it WAS the last play of the game. It was so last that they didn't even have an extra point.

Jim, if you do some research, I believe you'll find the use of the word "literal" there is appropriate. 

Accepted synonyms (words that mean the same thing) for literal are "actual", "not figurative" and "unexaggerated".   To say something "literally happened" means that it happened just as described - that one is not embellishing or exaggerating.

So, when I wrote "I had remembered that game primarily for the way it ended - with Texas scoring a TD on literally the last play of the game", I was emphasizing that it wasn't just late in the game - it was on the last play.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/literal

Jim Harris

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on July 01, 2017, 02:47:04 pm
Jim, if you do some research, I believe you'll find the use of the word "literal" there is appropriate. 

Accepted synonyms (words that mean the same thing) for literal are "actual", "not figurative" and "unexaggerated".   To say something "literally happened" means that it happened just as described - that one is not embellishing or exaggerating.

So, when I wrote "I had remembered that game primarily for the way it ended - with Texas scoring a TD on literally the last play of the game", I was emphasizing that it wasn't just late in the game - it was on the last play.

http://www.thesaurus.com/browse/literal

As a copyeditor seeing this, I would have cut literally. That's what I mean. Nothing personal. Copyediting never is, at least when I do it. (I can cite some who see have approached it differently, almost making articles theirs.)
"We've been trying to build a program on a 7-8 win per season business model .... We upgraded the Business Model." -- John Tyson

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Jim Harris on July 06, 2017, 10:45:26 am
As a copyeditor seeing this, I would have cut literally. That's what I mean. Nothing personal. Copyediting never is, at least when I do it. (I can cite some who see have approached it differently, almost making articles theirs.)
I understand, but the problem is that you never know who your audience is.  If I were writing a newspaper story on the game, or a supporting game day feature about the game/play, I would not have included it. 

I know that, technically, including "literally" isn't required in that post.  But, it does add emphasis - and that was intentional.  I also know that many people are not sure whether a writer is being literal or figurative when they make a statement like that (about an old game).  Indeed, some will say something happened "on the last play of the game", when - in fact - it happened very near the end, but was not - literally - THE last play.  Adding "Literally", as I did, leaves no doubt.

For example, there are a lot of people who will swear that we had Texas beat in 1969 until (a) Texas completed a TD bomb on fourth down (it was not a TD pass); (b) they completed that bomb to Cotton Speyrer (it wasn't to Speyrer - it was to seldom used TE Randy Peschel); and/or (c), Texas scored on the last play of that game (there were still over 3 minutes left when they scored).  When reading something on a fan board about a game that's almost 50 years old (not a newspaper account of a game played yesterday) - adding "literally" can clarify things.  This was one such example, and - with respect - is preferred in a case like this.  After all, the goal is go have more readers come away with a clear understanding of what is written, than to scratch the itch of a single copywriter.  It's a stylistic thing.