Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

espn never shows Arkansas any love!!

Started by I mustache you a question, April 06, 2017, 01:11:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

I mustache you a question

"I have 2 weapons; my arms, my legs and my brain." – Michael Vick

PorkSoda

went you field a worse defense than if they hadn't even bothered to take the field, then you don't get much love from the stat crunchers.

"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

rhames

Yeah. 6 wins is most certainly possible

How many should they have said??
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

rhames

We hope our oline is better. We don't know that.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Seebs

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on April 06, 2017, 01:50:02 pm
OL is better (with possibly best C in nation) 5th year Senior QB, 2 RBs as good as anyone in the country. We have a chance to have outscore just about anyone, even if that's not our style. We'll win more than 6. Screw ESPN.

Good. Now analyze the defense.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

hogcard1964

It'll be in the 6-8 range again.  He has 6 or 7 locks on the schedule.  However, if he chokes away an early one again that he shouldn't, it could be as low as 6 for a total.

None of this is really a stretch.

phadedhawg

meh...until our defense proves it has improved 6 wins is an understandable prediction.

hogatheart

When ya win games and you don't finish dead last in ypg allowed, you get respect. It's not given, it's earned. Win games!! WPS!!

Poker_hog

I'd rather go 4-8 than have yet another 6-7 win type year.  I'd rather go 10-2.  It's time for cbb to get it done or move on. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

hogcard1964

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 06, 2017, 02:28:23 pm
I'd rather go 4-8 than have yet another 6-7 win type year.  I'd rather go 10-2.  It's time for cbb to get it done or move on.

Going forward, he'll never lose below six while he's here.

Sed76

Seriously, why care what ESPN or anyone else predicts in freaking April?

bennyl08

Quote from: rhames on April 06, 2017, 01:59:01 pm
We hope our oline is better. We don't know that.

We don't know if Austin is going to regress so much we wish Tretola was our full time quarterback.

We don't know if Whaley will put on 50 pounds of bad weight this offseason and be ineffective.

We don't know if Ragnow will be benched in favor of Raulerson at center and not even start a single game this coming season due to him no longer being good enough.

We don't "know" if any of those things will happen or not. However, we do know what happens on average. We do know that players on average improve from one year to the next and only a rare few don't. We do know that our coaching staff has a history of developing players and helping them improve from one year to the next as well. Yes, we don't "know" that our OL will be better next season. That is true. However, we don't have any evidence to suggest that they won't be any better and heaps of evidence that they will be.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Cambridge Hog

Quote from: Seebs on April 06, 2017, 01:59:25 pm
Good. Now analyze the defense.

Start analysis:

Could it be any worse than last year?

End analysis

Al Boarland

A bit lower than my low end prediction of 7 wins (high-8 ), but it's hard to look at this tough schedule and find the wins. You just have to hope for a couple upsets.

ZERO

Quote from: Poker_hog on April 06, 2017, 02:28:23 pm

This has been my outlook. In my opinion, 9-4 is about the worst thing that could happen. Good enough to say it's improvement and buy more time. 9-4 isn't normally bad, but when it's your personal best in five years with no guarantee of ever matching or topping that, that's not quite good enough.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

GoHogzzGo

Just win baby. I don't sweat about what ESPN preseason data thing says.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

Poker_hog

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 06, 2017, 02:31:46 pm

It'll happen.  A few key injuries is all it'll take.  Until that happens he'll have a job here. 
Sometimes wrong, but never in doubt

Vantage 8 dude

So....he'll NEVER lose below six while he's here. Bold prediction; be careful of absolute statements 'cause they have a way of making you look as dumb as you might be.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: ZERO on April 06, 2017, 02:47:07 pm
This has been my outlook. In my opinion, 9-4 is about the worst thing that could happen. Good enough to say it's improvement and buy more time. 9-4 isn't normally bad, but when it's your personal best in five years with no guarantee of ever matching or topping that, that's not quite good enough.
9-4 is the WORST thing that can happen?  Now I think I've heard everything on here.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 06, 2017, 03:02:16 pm
9-4 is the WORST thing that can happen?  Now I think I've heard everything on here.

Many believe CBB is the second coming of the Nuttster so they foresee him having the same knack to do just good enough.

I disagree. I believe he is the right man for the job. That he can take us to a consistent winning tradition. Not by luck like Dale or by offensive wizardry like the angry curmudgeon, but by design.

Could I be wrong? Yep. He better get the defense fixed and win. Or he will be gone and we will be watching ties again.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

hogcard1964

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on April 06, 2017, 03:19:22 pm
Many believe CBB is the second coming of the Nuttster so they foresee him having the same knack to do just good enough.

The Nutter Butter would be upset with that comparison.   :D

PorkRinds

Quote from: ZERO on April 06, 2017, 02:47:07 pm

Aysm? I'd do backflips for 9-4.

FraggleHog

Calling the Hogs from DFW

rhames

Who is Austin Allen going to throw to?

I think overall the offense will be fine. Definitely the identity of the team

That defense though.......ewww

Hey Super

Does Luke Ford have any interest in LSU? I feel like he's all hog but just wanted to see if someone knew something I didn't. Article mentioned LSU offering him in an attempt to poach.
As the ancient Tibetan philosophy states...... "Don't start none ... won't be none"<br /><br />
Quote from: Seebs on July 23, 2011, 02:33:26 pm<br />Please do not allow facts to get in the way of a good freak out<br />

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: hogcard1964 on April 06, 2017, 03:26:53 pm
The Nutter Butter would be upset with that comparison.   :D
And you don't think CBB would be highly offended by the same comparison ???  ::) Come on, get real!

theFlyingHog

Quote from: Cambridge Hog on April 06, 2017, 02:37:07 pm
Start analysis:

Could it be any worse than last year?

End analysis
Well they could let me play safety and my nieces play corner

010HogFan

Quote from: rhames on April 06, 2017, 03:47:49 pm
Who is Austin Allen going to throw to?

That defense though.......ewww

I for one am excited about the receivers this year. We Stacked.

lahawg1

With what we lost and our performance last year they may be optimistic (at 6 wins) about this year

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: lahawg1 on April 06, 2017, 05:01:41 pm
With what we lost and our performance last year they may be optimistic (at 6 wins) about this year
Of course it can't be at all possible that we actually improve in various areas this coming season. Nah, that'd be seen as being way too optimistic for much of this crowd.

Bigmac2

The most pertinent information I got from the article was that ARod and JLo was was at a steakhouse in Little Rock and you guys want to discuss the non pertinent information. Why?

Vantage 8 dude

I most certainly agree with those who express the sentiment that frankly a rating in the SPRING never outranks one that occurs during and after the season.

PorkSoda

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 06, 2017, 05:05:49 pm
Of course it can't be at all possible that we actually improve in various areas this coming season. Nah, that'd be seen as being way too optimistic for much of this crowd.
sure, but the FPI is a computer generated poll based on statistics.  It doesn't take human subjectivity into account, and at this point is based primarily on last years stats.  which if you haven't checked, are not good.
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: PorkSoda on April 06, 2017, 05:46:40 pm
sure, but the FPI is a computer generated poll based on statistics.  It doesn't take human subjectivity into account, and at this point is based primarily on last years stats.  which if you haven't checked, are not good.
Past results are NEVER a guarantee of future performance. Besides, call me a "homer" but I believe that we're honestly making progress from the standpoint of talent, etc. While in many ways last year was at times a disaster, I'll settle for my outlook that things might actually be a little better. Besides, isn't Spring the time when we hear that "hope springs eternal" ??? Obviously NONE of us will know for certain until the end of November, a LONG time off at this point.

Buff

Quote from: rhames on April 06, 2017, 03:47:49 pm

Yeah but when Bret was hired, we all knew this would be the case....

PorkSoda

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on April 06, 2017, 06:15:34 pm
Past results are NEVER a guarantee of future performance. Besides, call me a "homer" but I believe that we're honestly making progress from the standpoint of talent, etc. While in many ways last year was at times a disaster, I'll settle for my outlook that things might actually be a little better. Besides, isn't Spring the time when we hear that "hope springs eternal" ??? Obviously NONE of us will know for certain until the end of November, a LONG time off at this point.
yeah, just pointing out that because its a data driven poll, its going to project us poorly because our data was poor.  It has nothing to do with whether ESPN loves or hates us or whether we expect improve or regress.

That said, its worth just as little as every other "too early poll" because *cough* "Its too early"

arlhog

I'm not sure what the problem is.  What was said that's not true?  You want some love, go earn it.  I can count 6 very losable games this next year.  After the way we finished last year that might be a stretch.  If this team wants love they need to go out and shut people like this up on the field.  Whining about it on a board like this is useless.

sowmonella

What is wrong with you and why are you posting on a Razorbacks fan site?
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Hawgar The Horrible

Young men are busting their collective asses in hopes to improve, yet some of you want them to fail because you don't care for their head coach.

I hope you all suffer a slow and painful death.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

kodiakisland

If gun control worked, Chicago would look like Mayberry, not Thunderdome. http://heyjackass.com/

TNRazorbacker

Completely reasonable prediction. Defense consistently horrible.  Losing lots off an O line that was already shaky.

ZERO

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on April 06, 2017, 03:02:16 pm

Yeah, that thing called context is important here. It's just like the poster above me said; shjt or get off the pot. The man has a losing record over a four year period. That would get him fired at most respectable jobs in the nation. 9-4 is awful because of the timing and circumstances. We had a shot at a satisfying 9 wins last year. Instead, we blow a 17 and 24 point third quarter lead in back-to-back games and quite literally give away two blowout wins. The year before we had a chance for a good 10 win season and lost to Toledo and a vastly inferior Texas Tech, who we didn't have to punt against a single time the year before at their house.

These things and other trends lead me to believe a 9-win season could possibly be either his ceiling or extremely rare. I don't want him to win just enough to say "hey look, I CAN do it!" and buy him another two or three seasons. What happens if he wins 7 games the next two years after that? 9 wins every four or five years is something we can do at least a little better than.

Quote from: PorkRinds on April 06, 2017, 03:34:58 pm
Aysm? I'd do backflips for 9-4.

I don't know, are YOU shjtting me? You're gonna do gymnastics over a 9 win ceiling in five years, regardless of the consequences it could have for his tenure here? Yeah, I'm the unreasonable one.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

bennyl08

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 06, 2017, 10:47:10 pm
Completely reasonable prediction. Defense consistently horrible.  Losing lots off an O line that was already shaky.

Consistently horrible? I guess if you use a weird definition of consistent...

Losing lots? We are losing only one player from last season who wasn't even our top OL player, he was a RT who was playing LT due to his experience at the time bringing more to the OL than a multitude of other options we have that were more athletic. Those players are all more experienced this year and by all accounts, there is no reason that we should expect our OL to do anything but get better.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Obviously ESPN is not the problem, just look at all the negativity in this thread from 'Hog fans'.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

rhames

April 07, 2017, 06:48:25 am #44 Last Edit: April 07, 2017, 09:14:59 am by rhames
Also the 6 wins is from theIr analytics models

So not really any room for espn to hate on arkansas.  This is just based on the numbers.

rhames

Quote from: 010HogFan on April 06, 2017, 04:59:12 pm
I for one am excited about the receivers this year. We Stacked.

Stacked is a subjective term

There are a lot of bodies with little experience. Hopefully they come out unafraid.

jjdlc

Its not surprising to see that number, there are a lot of question marks on this team.  The OL should be better, but we don't know that yet.  We lost a very good group of veteran WRs last season, there is a ton of talent in the group coming up, but we haven't seen them in game situations much yet, same goes for TEs, Cantrell is the only one with any much playing time, and due to the OL issues last year, we didn't really get a chance to see him in the passing game a whole lot.  RB and QB are mostly known quantities, and that is a good thing, it's a strong basis, if the other groups come together, the offense could have a banner year.

The defense is still a huge question mark, it's hard to imagine them getting any worse than last year, but we really don't know how much they'll improve, if at all.  New DC, DL, and 2nd LB coach, and an entirely new scheme, not usually a recipe for a great season, but could still be a huge improvement over last.  If the offense performs anything like last year, minus the 2nd half collapses, even a moderate improvement on the D could get us a couple more wins.  We'll just have to wait and see though.

Nashville Fan

Fans are idiots. It took AL 11 years and the best coach in modern college football to turn AL around. AR is not AL and CBB is not Saban. Thank you God on both accounts. If you don't build things right from the bottom up, it will crumb after the first FOI request or motorcycle accident. Fact is 99% of coaches will never win a NC. To expect one even from an AL teams is delusional. A winning season is fair.
Pittman or Bust!

hogcard1964

Quote from: TNRazorbacker on April 06, 2017, 10:47:10 pm

To an extent this is correct.  You're not going to get too much of a variation.  He's going to win 6-8 games per year and that's about it.  Nobody should expect anything more.

hogsanity

Quote from: Sed76 on April 06, 2017, 02:33:00 pm
Seriously, why care what ESPN or anyone else predicts in freaking April?

So they can keep up the myth that everyone is out to get the Hogs.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE