Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

LSU beats Houston by 3

Started by Hogs49ers, December 13, 2017, 10:43:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogs49ers

I think seeing LSU beat Houston really shows how big of a fluke our game was and we literally played our absolute worst with no energy against Houston's very best, they literally could not miss (not having much energy on defense did not help matters.)  LSU did get them at home which helped their cause, I am pretty sure they would lose at Houston, as would a lot power 5 teams across the country.  I think we will sweep LSU this year though. 

LSU is definitely improved over last year (not too difficult), but I still think they will finish in the bottom 3 of our conference.  I think this win tonight by LSU just further shows how difficult it is going to be in the SEC this year from top to bottom, the team that realizes they literally cannot take any nights off the soonest should come out on top.

SCREW Vandy!

3kgthog

Somehow I don't feel better. An average LSU team squeaked by a Houston team that beat the brakes off the Hogs. Greaaaat.

HogFoo

fluke loss.   it was a trap game for the Hogs.  Not gonna worry about it.  I think, as the guys broadcasting were saying, it could help the Hogs, especially Mike to put motivation into the guys.  No off games!   no loafing!  Hogs were flat as a tire with a nail in it that game!  Houston was hotter than a frog on a skillet.   It was at their "place'' as well.  If we played them in Bud walton, i have no doubt we'd beat their brakes off if we played again!  i also wouldnt doubt if we played again, that we'd be their brakes off at their home!  It would have benefited us to have played a mid week game to stay in the mindset instead we took like a week off.. houston had played a midweek game.. they were hungrier than we were that game.   So, yeah, the loss doesnt bother me.  well it does, because it was the perfect storm that allowed them to beat us.   but it doesnt bother me because i dont see that type thing happening again the rest of the season.  it may tarnish us if the loss ends up being a bad loss with Houston taking a nose dive and hitting the bottom of the barrel.   Thats the only way it could hurt us.  But, i doubt it.  Hogs are gonna be justttt fine!
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

alohawg

I agree, hogs would wear 'em  out at Bud Walton. Total fluke game.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

hogginbama

Quote from: Hogs49ers on December 13, 2017, 10:43:45 pm
I think seeing LSU beat Houston really shows how big of a fluke our game was and we literally played our absolute worst with no energy against Houston's very best, they literally could not miss (not having much energy on defense did not help matters.)  LSU did get them at home which helped their cause, I am pretty sure they would lose at Houston, as would a lot power 5 teams across the country.  I think we will sweep LSU this year though. 

LSU is definitely improved over last year (not too difficult), but I still think they will finish in the bottom 3 of our conference.  I think this win tonight by LSU just further shows how difficult it is going to be in the SEC this year from top to bottom, the team that realizes they literally cannot take any nights off the soonest should come out on top.

Is this year's rally cry gonna be "they played their best game of the year and we played our absolute worst" each time a team that beat us gets beat by someone that we imagine is worse than we are? It could be that Houston is better than us and LSU is better than both Houston and us.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

RealHog

Watched the game. A lot of 50/50 calls went LSUs way, and the whole LSU team runs with Waters. We're a better team than LSU and Houston, was a function of bad game by us and great game by Houston at home. Houstons a good squad and would beat LSU 8/10 on neutral floor.

JayHog

Even our National Championship team that returned all 5 starters the following year... we started off that following year by getting the brakes beat off us against Coach Cal's UMASS Team.
But we still went on to have a great year and made it back to the championship game again.
So, it happens.

BannerMountainMan

We would've beat em by 20 at home 😂😂
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Hogs49ers

Quote from: hogginbama on December 14, 2017, 12:04:31 am
Is this year's rally cry gonna be "they played their best game of the year and we played our absolute worst" each time a team that beat us gets beat by someone that we imagine is worse than we are? It could be that Houston is better than us and LSU is better than both Houston and us.

Lol no...I think UNC beat us straight up and are a better team than us, but Houston?? Seriously, come on man!!!  This has nothing to do with being a homer.  Can you honestly tell me with a straight face that they are the overall better team??  Yes they were a better team that day, but I came to the conclusion that "they played their best game of the year and we played our absolute worst" because every other result from each of our records shows that we are the superior team, so that makes this game look more like an anomaly rather than the norm. 

Arkansas (7-2 against #4 SOS):

- Best Wins: #24 OU (Neutral Site), #33 Minn (Home)
- Worst Losses: #7 UNC (Neutral Site), #37 Houston (Away)

Houston (8-2 against #231 SOS):

- Best Wins: #31 Ark (Home), #149 St. Louis (Away)
- Worst Losses: #210 Drexel (Home), #122 LSU (Away)

So again, can you honestly tell me they are the overall better team and would beat us more than 5 times out of 10?  This is why I say this game was a fluke, not really sure how you could not agree with that based on everything we know to this point.
SCREW Vandy!

bigred223

Only someone who hasn't watched any of these teams play throughout the year would come to that conclusion. We beat Minnesota pretty bad the other day, but I wouldn't say we are much better than them when they play their best if at all. Houston was our worst performance of the year and hopefully it stays that way.

HoopS

I went to the game vs UH and I think the gym was a big factor. Our shooters never could adjust to the backdrop.

Pinto

You guys are talking like LSU is a bad team. We don't have a guard as good as Tremont Waters to absolutely take over a game like LSU does. Houston is a very solid team and we played very bad basketball that night

Pinto

Not to mention LSU's big had a career day meanwhile Dan was in foul trouble. Hopefully we're done with the bad starts now that Dan is starting

Adam Stokes

December 14, 2017, 07:54:49 am #13 Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 08:27:17 am by Adam Stokes
Our game with them should've been close, it wasn't a fluke that we lost, it was a fluke that we lost by 30.

That block by their tiny PG at the end of the game was legit. Either way, LSU was the underdog and pulled off the upset. Because we play LSU twice and have a couple common opponents they affect our RPI more than any other team, I'm glad to see them get the W.

ShadowHawg

Simple as this. LSU was at home. Our game was on the road. Houston would beat LSU in Houston. Had they just grabbed that last rebound, they would have beaten LSU in red stick.

NWAHog479

Houston and LSU both looked pretty solid to me... Both should/could be tourney teams.

cardsNhogs

Quote from: alohawg on December 13, 2017, 11:30:49 pm
Yes we would beat them bad at BWA and that is what should give you reason for concern. The fact that we played so poorly on the road. NCAAT selection committee will put lots more emphasis on road wins now. We must play better than that on the road.   

Danny J

We're gonna lose 2, 3 and Maybe 4 more games like Houston just like we do every year. It doesn't mean we aren't a good or even very good team. It just means we are not elite ad in final 4 or national title contenders. The style of play and simply just the way the ball bounces. All I am looking for is A...beating UK and B...getting a 6 seed or higher and let's see what happens.

HF#1

Houston was the most "let down" game ever. It was a fluke bad night, not any indication of what this team is or can be.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

Pinto

Quote from: HF#1 on December 14, 2017, 10:16:38 am
Houston was the most "let down" game ever. It was a fluke bad night, not any indication of what this team is or can be.

Def wouldn't say ever

Hogs49ers

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 14, 2017, 07:54:49 am
Our game with them should've been close, it wasn't a fluke that we lost, it was a fluke that we lost by 30.

That block by their tiny PG at the end of the game was legit. Either way, LSU was the underdog and pulled off the upset. Because we play LSU twice and have a couple common opponents they affect our RPI more than any other team, I'm glad to see them get the W.

Yes, good call, I completely agree with both points you made Adam.  Definitely not a bad loss, and really only a fluke bc of the score (but the score is what is making people think that Houston is the clear better team and my goal was to let them know that is most definitely not true.)  And yes, LSU winning that game was better for us and the entire SEC, I do not think people realize how big these OOC wins are for the entire SEC and some of these wins could be the difference from getting 4-5 teams in like in years past versus getting 6-7 teams in this year.
SCREW Vandy!

bville_hog

We do need to figure out how to play strong on the road.

BannerMountainMan

Quote from: bville_hog on December 14, 2017, 11:42:10 am
We do need to figure out how to play strong on the road.
2nd most SEC wins on the road the last years.
"Michael Qualls with the dunk at the buzzer, it goes and Arkansas wins, it goes and Arkansas wins"

Dwight_K_Shrute

The transitive property in basketball is worse than it is in football and by worse I mean applies less.

In this instance the setting wasn't even the same.  It was a road not a home game for Houston.

Well how much difference can home vs away really make?  Well...in 1993 MSU beat Ark in Starkville 80-76 in OT.  The Razorbacks won the return game in Fayetteville by a score of 115-58 a 57 point difference that I believe still stands as the worse loss in MSU history.

Point is $h!t happens in basketball.  Houston beat us worse than NC did.  Does that mean Houston is better than NC? 

Wally Hall felt compelled to tweet the score last night.  I replied to him and asked "are you going to start tweeting all SEC scores or are you just being a passive aggressive jack a$$.  Because that's all it is if you are using the outcome of that game to try to imply anything about the Razorbacks.   
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

Hogs just had a off night against Houston.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Hawg Red

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 14, 2017, 03:12:15 pm
Hogs just had a off night against Houston.

It's amazing to me that so many don't see that. It's so simple. Detractors want to cling to that performance to show that the Hogs can't get it done on the road or whatever. Silly. Program record for SEC wins set last year. Went to PK80 and showed very, very well. Went blow-for-blow with UNC (again) for much of the game before Macon went out with an ankle injury. Every performance this season has been consistent, for the most part, except for that one game against Houston where it was clear pretty early on that the Hogs just didn't have their heads in the game. One game. Had no problem taking down a good OU team in PK80. Again, did not back down from a much more talented UNC team with a HOF coach. Beat the brakes off UConn -- their worst loss in 40 (!!!) years. Put the boots to the then #14 Minnesota Golden Gophers.

If the Hogs were the #1 team in the country, a loss to Houston (the way they lost also) would be a big deal and would expose them. The Hogs aren't the #1 team in the country. They're a so-far good team on the road in a funky-looking gym after a week off from traveling back from the other side of the country against a should-be solid team looking for a shot in the arm after some down performances. That's college basketball for you. That happens all the time. There are higher-ranked teams with worse losses (from an opponent standpoint) than the Hogs.

MushroomCloudHog

Houston just had a great night against us...and we were flat. If we played 10 times we would win the majority of the time.

Porkyswine

Mike has a history of playing very poor on the rd.

razorback1829

Quote from: Porkyswine on December 14, 2017, 04:36:29 pm
Mike has a history of playing very poor on the rd.

#FakeNews. Has been debunked.

ICEman

We beat Houston at home by the same margin they beat us in that low-rent dump that they are calling their home court.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Adam Stokes on December 14, 2017, 07:54:49 am

it was a flat out fluke that we lost...we play that team in a situation that really means something, we beat their brains in....our guard play makes us formidable for ANY team in the country when we are playing well...we get hot at the end of the year our guards could carry us to the Final Four
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

USChog

Lol rally cry? We lost to a superior UNC team and then had an off night against UH. What other losses are you talking about?

Youngsta71701

Be gone...
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

Chorizo Hogriguez

Quote from: alohawg on December 13, 2017, 11:30:49 pm

yes, thank you

SemperHawg

Houston shot 51% as a team including 48% from behind the arc as a team at home against us, including shooting 23 FT's

Against LSU they shot 44% over all as a team and 37% from beyond the arc while only attempting 14 FT's

The Davis kid who averages 13.2 a game went off for a career high 28 on us.

Flukey loss on the road against a team that was laying for us and got hot.

HognitiveDissonance

1)Arkansas is a better team than Houston
2)As I said before, this was Houston's Game of the Year. This was their marquee non-conf matchup at home, and they really, really needed it for NCAA purposes
3)Thus, they made every shot they looked at.
4)Arkansas didn't show up and made Houston look even better than they played

Conclusions:
This wasn't a referendum on Arkansas's ability to play on the road, as a whole. Overall, the road records have jumped significantly in the last few years. I believe they had 6 SEC road wins last year, and 5 in 2015. It's been trending upwards. So no one can really say the Hogs are road kill anymore.

A valid criticism is that there is a pattern of a no-show performance, typically the first major road test of the season. We still tend to have 1-2 games each year where we get completely dressed down, and that's bothersome. It's no shame to lose on the road, but to get embarrassed is another, when the opponent is not better than you. It's like we have to re-invent the wheel each year to remember how to play on the road. Which I expect them to do.

alohawg

Great finish to the lsu-sfa game, back and forth with tigers losing on a blown layup at the buzzer.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc