Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

BB might have $15mm buyout but Jeff Long doesn't....

Started by Hoggle, September 23, 2017, 02:51:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

rlamb

The BOT should fire Long and go to Dallas and get on their knees
and beg Bill Montgomery to be our AD for at least 5 years to
"right the ship".

Hogwild

Quote from: Smalltownhog95 on September 23, 2017, 03:03:37 pm
I was thinking this the other day. Fire Long. Wait our year on Bret. Fire him next year and have our new AD in place.
agree

Farmer Hogget

Congratulations on starting such an original topic!  LOLOLOLOL

I love Jeff Long and I look forward to many more years of his leadership in Arkansas athletics!

moses_007

September 24, 2017, 05:02:00 am #53 Last Edit: September 24, 2017, 05:12:05 am by moses_007
Quote from: The Great Hambino on September 23, 2017, 08:04:59 pm
Can we demote Bielema, put Enos or Rhodes in charge, and then officially fire him after the buyout lowers?
No we can't because Bielema has a contract that says he's our head football coach. He can't be demoted.

Hoggie17

I never liked the way Long handled the firing of CBP.  He never tried to keep CBP because he had the letter from CBB in his hip pocket. I was happy every game that CBP coached.

I think Long should be fired for several reasons that I won't get into on this post. Bring in a new AD let him get the feel of the job before CBB is gone. The momentum to fire CBB will continue to mount unless he starts winning big time. CBB can't do that.

hogfan58

We are the 13th most profitable football program in the country, ahead of Aggie, Florida and USC. We made $38 million in PROFIT last year. We have the $$ to buy Bert out if we want to.

Make it two-fer and show Long the door as well for putting that buyout in his contract.
I'm asking you as fans, don't give up on those players, don't give up on us, it's our program, it's the state of Alabama program...it's not one individuals program, so hang in there...

Hoggie17

Quote from: Farmer Hogget on September 24, 2017, 03:21:14 am
Congratulations on starting such an original topic!  LOLOLOLOL

I love Jeff Long and I look forward to many more years of his leadership in Arkansas athletics!
You want to lose at football many more years in football.  I like people that stand for up their friend, college football is not run by our friends nor should it be, it is
run by competent people.  Which means more to you our football program or your friend.  Just because he would not be the AD at Arkansas he can remain your friend for life.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogfan58 on September 24, 2017, 06:36:02 am
We are the 13th most profitable football program in the country, ahead of Aggie, Florida and USC. We made $38 million in PROFIT last year. We have the $$ to buy Bert out if we want to.

Make it two-fer and show Long the door as well for putting that buyout in his contract.

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

moses_007

Here is Bielema's original buyout in his 2013 contract with Arkansas.  After his second season, when he went 7-6 and beat Texas in the Texas Bowl, Long extended his contract through 2020 and increased the buyout significantly.  Long should have left the original buyout part of the contract alone.  Had he done that, Arkansas would only owe him $3.2 million if he is fired on Jan. 1, 2018..... NOT $11.4 million.

HoggyCat

Can we demote Bielema, put Enos or Rhodes in charge, and then officially fire him after the buyout lowers?

Rhoads is the reason we're running this terrible 3-4. Well, that and Bert had zero clues about what to do so he jumped on the first suggestion he could get, which was from a coach that was fired....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

Lanny

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 08:24:16 am
Here is Bielema's original buyout in his 2013 contract with Arkansas.  After his second season, when he went 7-6 and beat Texas in the Texas Bowl, Long extended his contract through 2020 and increased the buyout significantly.  Long should have left the original buyout part of the contract alone.  Had he done that, Arkansas would only owe him $3.2 million if he is fired on Jan. 1, 2018..... NOT $11.4 million.
The buyout is comparable to several head coaches.  The money is out of control but I do agree increasing the buyout after a 7-6 season was a mistake.
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

moses_007

Quote from: Lanny on September 24, 2017, 08:28:27 am
The buyout is comparable to several head coaches.  The money is out of control but I do agree increasing the buyout after a 7-6 season was a mistake.
Long isn't much of a businessman, or he wouldn't have made this mistake.  Now had Brett gone 10-2 in 2014, it might have been justified.

STLhawg

So why is the buy-out so lopsided?  When BP was here the cost for us firing him was about equal his penalty for deciding to leave.  With BB it is $2M if he leaves but $15M if we fire him.  Does Long agreeing to that smell of collusion to anyone else?  Maybe BB and Long have the same agent.

hogcard1964

Quote from: HoggyCat on September 24, 2017, 08:28:25 am
Rhoads is the reason we're running this terrible 3-4. Well, that and Bert had zero clues about what to do so he jumped on the first suggestion he could get, which was from a coach that was fired....

Rhoads has to go.

ricepig

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 24, 2017, 08:57:07 am
Rhoads has to go.

He will when the entire staff is let go after the 2018 season without 16 regular season wins in 2017 & 2018.

Farmer Hogget

Quote from: Hoggie17 on September 24, 2017, 07:15:47 am
You want to lose at football many more years in football.  I like people that stand for up their friend, college football is not run by our friends nor should it be, it is
run by competent people.  Which means more to you our football program or your friend.  Just because he would not be the AD at Arkansas he can remain your friend for life.

My friend?  Son, let me tell you something. . .I'm and old cantankerous man.  I have zero friends.  But Jeff Long is an outstanding Athletics Director.  There is no doubt about that fact.  Unfortunately, too many of you are angry because he made the only decision he could make and fired Bobby Petrino.  So, no matter who the coach is in any sport, they are going to be a bad coach, no matter what the does, it will be because he's trying to bring glory to himself, not the Razorbacks.  You're all so blinded with hate, you can't see reality!  Some folks need to grow up and stop acting like children. 

potus

if we were able to FIRE Long today it would still take us years to dig ourselves out of this mess!  We've got to hire an AD, no matter what it cost, that has a record of hiring successful head coaches and it's imperative that we start today.  This is going to be a helluva an under taking digging out of this, but the sooner we get startyed the sooner we get done!!!

STLhawg

Quote from: Farmer Hogget link=topic=637960.msg10981897#msg10981897But Jeff Long is an outstanding Athletics Director.  There is no doubt about that fact.
So why is the buy-out so incredibly lopsided?  Why did Long agree to pay BB $15M to fire him but only have a $2M penalty for BB if he decided to leave in his FIFTH year?  For BP those figures were about the same (which is logical).  So this contract with BB just doesn't smell right.

For the record, even if BP hadn't been fired I think he still wouldn't be here now -- he would have likely jumped ship to Louisville IMO (because its easier to win there and their AD would give BP more freedom). 

BoynamedWooPigSooie

As university employees they both can be re-assigned to other positions at the university.

Bert would be cleaning the crappers in Hotz Hall as far as I'm concerned.

and Jeffie Boy can work in the women's soccer accounting office.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

moses_007

Quote from: STLhawg on September 24, 2017, 03:06:06 pm
So why is the buy-out so incredibly lopsided?  Why did Long agree to pay BB $15M to fire him but only have a $2M penalty for BB if he decided to leave in his FIFTH year?  For BP those figures were about the same (which is logical).  So this contract with BB just doesn't smell right.

For the record, even if BP hadn't been fired I think he still wouldn't be here now -- he would have likely jumped ship to Louisville IMO (because its easier to win there and their AD would give BP more freedom). 
Ask Jeff Long why he did this, since he is responsible.  I suspect he put such a high buyout on us firing Bielema was to show coach that we were behind him 100 percent, win or lose, for the entirety of the contract. 

The truth is, you never know how a coach is going to pan out at your university, regardless of how good his record is at another program.  He could have won three national championships at Wisconsin and still not pan out here.  Putting this kind of enormous buyout on a coach since this is always unknown handcuffs you from firing him earlier than the end of the contract unless you have multi-millions lying in the bank.

How Bielema got to two or three Rose Bowls with Wisconsin is beyond my comprehension.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogcard1964 on September 23, 2017, 03:02:30 pm
Firing Long right now doesn't help us in the coming weeks.  Firing Bielema does.

...but yes, Long caused this mess.  Get him out also.
do it nebraska style, fire long mid season.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

put him on paternity leave
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

ricepig

Quote from: BoynamedWooPigSooie on September 24, 2017, 06:55:48 pm
As university employees they both can be re-assigned to other positions at the university.

Bert would be cleaning the crappers in Hotz Hall as far as I'm concerned.

and Jeffie Boy can work in the women's soccer accounting office.

Nope, don't know about Long's contract, but Bielema's says he has to mutually agree to any other assigned duties along with being HC. So, no janitor work.

ricepig

Quote from: moses_007 on September 24, 2017, 09:58:48 pm
Ask Jeff Long why he did this, since he is responsible.  I suspect he put such a high buyout on us firing Bielema was to show coach that we were behind him 100 percent, win or lose, for the entirety of the contract. 

The truth is, you never know how a coach is going to pan out at your university, regardless of how good his record is at another program.  He could have won three national championships at Wisconsin and still not pan out here.  Putting this kind of enormous buyout on a coach since this is always unknown handcuffs you from firing him earlier than the end of the contract unless you have multi-millions lying in the bank.

How Bielema got to two or three Rose Bowls with Wisconsin is beyond my comprehension.

The Board of Tustees have to approve any salary beyond the state line item amount, so plenty of blame to go around.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 24, 2017, 09:17:55 am
He will when the entire staff is let go after the 2018 season without 16 regular season wins in 2017 & 2018.

I've asked your thoughts before, can't remember if you'd given your thoughts on 4 or 5 wins this season, does that change the equation?..

ricepig

Quote from: Dominicanhog on September 25, 2017, 07:08:41 am
I've asked your thoughts before, can't remember if you'd given your thoughts on 4 or 5 wins this season, does that change the equation?..

I'd say 4 definitely does, maybe even 5. My thoughts don't matter, I'm just repeating what some who make these types of decisions had previously said.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: ricepig on September 25, 2017, 07:27:23 am
I'd say 4 definitely does, maybe even 5. My thoughts don't matter, I'm just repeating what some who make these types of decisions had previously said.

I know, I just respect and appreciate the insight..