Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

JLS "Smiley's" Full year of non recruiting same as one year death penalty?

Started by hogninja, July 16, 2017, 10:45:48 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogninja

Would anyone agree that the lack of 1 year of active recruiting before CBB came here could have been a Big setback?  I haven't seen a serious discussion about this on this subject. ???

B501

http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/Commits

i dunno man he managed to get some good players including sprinkle, deatrich wise, philon, keon hatcher and jonathan williams

not to mention the legend vin ascolese  ;)

factchecker

Quote from: b501 on July 16, 2017, 11:19:06 pm
http://arkansas.247sports.com/Season/2012-Football/Commits

i dunno man he managed to get some good players including sprinkle, deatrich wise, philon, keon hatcher and jonathan williams

not to mention the legend vin ascolese  ;)

That class was signed before Petrino was fired.  Signing day is in February and the wreck happened in April.

The impact of non-recruiting happened during the 2012 season leading up to the 2013 signing day.  The 2013 signing class was pretty impressive once you realized that Bielema only had a couple months to piece it together.

Key players from 2013 signing class:

Alex Collins
Hunter Henry
Denver Kirkland
(Imagine if we got these three back for their senior season)
Austin Allen
Brooks Ellis
Dan Skipper
Martrell Spaight
De'Andre Coley
Drew Morgan

Pretty good walk-on group as well (I think all ended up or are currently on scholarship):

A.J. Derby
Sam Irwin-Hill
Karl Roesler
Kevin Richardson
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Großer Kriegschwein

This is my non-signature signature.

B501

Quote from: factchecker on July 16, 2017, 11:35:40 pm
That class was signed before Petrino was fired.  Signing day is in February and the wreck happened in April.

The impact of non-recruiting happened during the 2012 season leading up to the 2013 signing day.  The 2013 signing class was pretty impressive once you realized that Bielema only had a couple months to piece it together.

well hell that class is even better than the 2012!

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogninja on July 16, 2017, 10:45:48 pm
Would anyone agree that the lack of 1 year of active recruiting before CBB came here could have been a Big setback?  I haven't seen a serious discussion about this on this subject. ???

First, I think it probably has been debated to death in the past but maybe you missed those threads.

Second, you serious man or are you just another CBB supporter trying to find an excuse? 

Third, seriously stop with the excuses and let's get serious about fielding a winning program, which I have no doubt CBB and players are. 

Fourth, almost everyone on this MB agrees that CBB has two more years to "get it done" barring a total collapse. 

Fifth, nobody expects a total collapse.

rhog1

The NCAA should start giving schools a year or two of JLS as head coach in lieu of punishment for serious offenders. I bet we would have a lot less cheating.

LRrazorback

There really wasn't a drop in recruiting from the transition/mess. Because of the timing, JLS didn't really have to recruit.  He inherited a team with very good talent and so did CBB.  The narrative is CBB took over a dumpster fire when in reality he took over a pretty talented team, particularly if you look at NFL draft picks.

hogcard1964

Quote from: LRrazorback on July 18, 2017, 08:34:47 am
There really wasn't a drop in recruiting from the transition/mess. Because of the timing, JLS didn't really have to recruit.  He inherited a team with very good talent and so did CBB.  The narrative is CBB took over a dumpster fire when in reality he took over a pretty talented team, particularly if you look at NFL draft picks.

Can't be true.

Cinco de Hogo

The problem with the 2012 and 2013 team was moral.  That whole mess really did a number on those kids and CBB had his hands full getting them back.   

While Petrino had to shoulder 100% of the blame, Longs decision certainly didn't do those kids any favors.  In their rush to push Petrino out the door they didn't consider the players at all.  Maybe that's right in an adult world maybe other measures could have been taken.  One thing is for sure, it's over and done.

LRrazorback

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 18, 2017, 08:45:29 am
The problem with the 2012 and 2014 team was moral.  That whole mess really did a number on those kids and CBB had his hands full getting them back.   

While Petrino had to shoulder 100% of the blame, Longs decision certainly didn't do those kids any favors.  In their rush to push Petrino out the door they didn't consider the players at all.  Maybe that's right in an adult world maybe other measures could have been taken.  One thing is for sure, it's over and done.
Moral?  Were you there?
I'd say the exact opposite. I would think the players finally don't have to live under authoritarian rule and moral would be through the roof.  Unfortunately, moral on the football field doesn't win, strict authoritarian does.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: LRrazorback on July 18, 2017, 08:51:52 am
Moral?  Were you there?
I'd say the exact opposite. I would think the players finally don't have to live under authoritarian rule and moral would be through the roof.  Unfortunately, moral on the football field doesn't win, strict authoritarian does.

Probably both, and yes I was "there" (or maybe that should be "here")just as much as you were. 

Polecat

Smiley did a good job Getting His Piss Hot on the recruiting trail
Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

DeltaBoy

Yes and that hire is enough for me to see Jeff Long fired.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 19, 2017, 12:28:39 pm
Yes and that hire is enough for me to see Jeff Long fired.

Jeff is going anywhere. He explained the situation to his bosses. They got jobbed by Slappy. No sense in reliving it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 19, 2017, 12:32:12 pm
Jeff is going anywhere. He explained the situation to his bosses. They got jobbed by Slappy. No sense in reliving it.
If he really got snowed by Smile  he now where as smart as his supporters claim here.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: DeltaBoy on July 19, 2017, 12:41:20 pm
If he really got snowed by Smile  he now where as smart as his supporters claim here.

Huh?

Slow down and youse Anglish.

rhames

The problem with the 2012 and 2013 team was moral.  That whole mess really did a number on those kids and CBB had his hands full getting them back.   

They did consider the players. The players wanted John l
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rhames on July 19, 2017, 01:01:06 pm
They did consider the players. The players wanted John l

Not eggzactly what I meant but you are right after the fact. 😎

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Moral?  Were you there?

Moral?  Were you there?

I think there's something to this all.

While the moral on the field may have been low, at least the morales the players expressed were high.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

rhames

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 19, 2017, 01:03:02 pm
Not eggzactly what I meant but you are right after the fact. 😎

I would argue I'm right before the fact, and you are after since it was such a disaster haha.

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: rhames on July 19, 2017, 01:06:12 pm

I would argue I'm right before the fact, and you are after since it was such a disaster haha.

What I meant was they didn't consider the players before they fired BP.  I know what the players said after they fired him but if they hadn't it would have been business as usual.  BP would have been coaching in his style with players he recruited for that style and after four years that's exactly what the players were used to and expected.               

They got Smile!

rhames

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 19, 2017, 01:11:50 pm
What I meant was they didn't consider the players before they fired BP.  I know what the players said after they fired him but if they hadn't it would have been business as usual.  BP would have been coaching in his style with players he recruited for that style and after four years that's exactly what the players were used to and expected.               

They got Smile!

I understand that but I think Robert's actions were so severe that Jeff really didn't have an option to ask "what effect could this have on the players?" IE firing him

He was already too deep in the ditch for redemption. Pun intended.

mizzouman

That actually brings up something interesting.  I would like to see the NCAA, as part of a punishment, tell a school they cannot sign anyone in an entire class. 

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: mizzouman on July 19, 2017, 01:49:14 pm
That actually brings up something interesting.  I would like to see the NCAA, as part of a punishment, tell a school they cannot sign anyone in an entire class.

There is another thread that thought should have been posted in. 😉

gchamblee

Quote from: rhog1 on July 18, 2017, 07:51:02 am
The NCAA should start giving schools a year or two of JLS as head coach in lieu of punishment for serious offenders. I bet we would have a lot less cheating.

gchamblee

You spelled "starting a bunch of freshmen" wrong.

gchamblee

Finding a coach in April is easy.

Cinco de Hogo

mizzouman

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 19, 2017, 02:01:46 pm
There is another thread that thought should have been posted in. 😉
I know but this thread kinda triggered that thought.

colbs

While there were some really good players inherited overall there wasn't a ton of talent leftover.  A lot of holes.  It was almost like a snowball effect during the JLS year.  Not only did BB lose a year of recruiting, the perception of the program took a hit.  After that one season Arkansas was thought as a mid to low SEC program.  Then the next season it didn't help any going 3-9. 

Whether you want to admit it or not that year hurt the program pretty bad.  Saying that it's year 5 and It's time for BB to take the next step here.  I really don't blame him for the first season but the last couple and this coming one I think he deserves the full blame or credit.  Until last year he improved every year.  So we are about to find out pretty soon if he's a 7-8 win coach or if he can take the next step and get to 9-10.

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

Al Boarland

gchamblee

twistitup

How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

hogcard1964

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on July 19, 2017, 12:32:12 pm

Li'l Jeff has been jobbed by a few coaches, hasn't he?

gmarv

Quote from: colbs on July 19, 2017, 03:17:55 pm
While there were some really good players inherited overall there wasn't a ton of talent leftover.  A lot of holes.  It was almost like a snowball effect during the JLS year.  Not only did BB lose a year of recruiting, the perception of the program took a hit.  After that one season Arkansas was thought as a mid to low SEC program.  Then the next season it didn't help any going 3-9. 

Whether you want to admit it or not that year hurt the program pretty bad.  Saying that it's year 5 and It's time for BB to take the next step here.  I really don't blame him for the first season but the last couple and this coming one I think he deserves the full blame or credit.  Until last year he improved every year.  So we are about to find out pretty soon if he's a 7-8 win coach or if he can take the next step and get to 9-10.
I agree with this.It is time cbb proves he is worth keeping,I hope he does I like the man.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: colbs on July 19, 2017, 03:17:55 pm

There could be an argument made that we should have won 9 to 10 each of the last 3 years. So short of AA and Whaley going down this season, this needs to be a 9 win season regardless of who we play or where we play them. Now if we only win 8 and we are right in the games of the 4 that we lose, like 31-28 vs. Alabama, and we play as a team, don't step on our pee-pee's and don't choke away any leads, I guess I could live with 8. That's my position on this year.
Go Hogs Go!

theFlyingHog

How can any of you argue anything if you don't know the difference between moral and morale?

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 19, 2017, 06:30:14 pm
How can any of you argue anything if you don't know the difference between moral and morale?

See my post from above.

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on July 19, 2017, 01:04:44 pm
I think there's something to this all.

While the moral on the field may have been low, at least the morales the players expressed were high.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: theFlyingHog on July 19, 2017, 06:30:14 pm

Their is allways one ain't they, weather its you or its me.  Bad spellers or speller nazis.

BigE_23

Nobody wants to hear this...

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Surfing8 on July 19, 2017, 02:10:46 pm
Is this thread meant to somehow attribute Bielema's current struggles to John L. Smith?  lol

John White deserves a mention here somewhere. 

I think this thread is a "not so subtle" anti Jeff Long referendum. The John L year was a dark time, and a huge setback. Those here who complained loudly  about that hire have been vindicated. The uphill climb following JLS  would have been steep for anyone. Still, Coach has been here long enough to own his own problems, so I'm not going to temper my expectations of Bielema based on that one dreadful season.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

hogsanity

Quote from: Cinco de Hogo on July 18, 2017, 03:12:28 am

Fourth, almost everyone on this MB agrees that CBB has two more years to "get it done" barring a total collapse. 

Are we going to define " get it done "? Is it a NC? make the playoff? win the sec? win the secw? make a NY 6 bowl? Beat A&M?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2017, 12:54:26 pm
Are we going to define " get it done "? Is it a NC? make the playoff? win the sec? win the secw? make a NY 6 bowl? Beat A&M?

To me, "getting it done" is more a body of work rather than a single accomplishment. Eliminate the Toledo games, the Auburn beat downs, the brain farts that cost us the MS game in 2015, and the second half no shows against VT and Mizzou. Do that, and get the Aggie monkey off our backs and we are in a position to accomplish some of the bigger things. All in all, the confidence that we can be competitive with anyone on any given day goes a long way to foster fanbase approval.

hogsanity

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 20, 2017, 01:56:11 pm
To me, "getting it done" is more a body of work rather than a single accomplishment. Eliminate the Toledo games, the Auburn beat downs, the brain farts that cost us the MS game in 2015, and the second half no shows against VT and Mizzou. Do that, and get the Aggie monkey off our backs and we are in a position to accomplish some of the bigger things. All in all, the confidence that we can be competitive with anyone on any given day goes a long way to foster fanbase approval.

So " get it done " is like " winning " here. The definition floats to fit the narrative. The games you mentioned would not have put them any closer to accomplishing any of the bigger things. To do that they have to have a team that is capable of beating Bama. They may not do it, but they have to be talented enough to do so. A team that talented would not lose to toledo, or get beaten 56-3 by Auburn or collapse in the 2nd half against Mizzu or VT.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2017, 02:07:38 pm
So " get it done " is like " winning " here. The definition floats to fit the narrative. The games you mentioned would not have put them any closer to accomplishing any of the bigger things. To do that they have to have a team that is capable of beating Bama. They may not do it, but they have to be talented enough to do so. A team that talented would not lose to toledo, or get beaten 56-3 by Auburn or collapse in the 2nd half against Mizzu or VT.

A lot of moving parts here. Recruit, and coach up the best talent you can. Anticipate, and eliminate controllable errors. Win the games you should, and a maybe few you shouldn't, etc. Successful coaches and teams have learned how to win, though that formula is not readily definable. Successful coaches put their team in a position to take advantage of the available talent, and opportunities that come their way, without providing the same opportunities to the opposition. At the end of the season, the coaches and teams that have done these things well will be the ones playing for the bling.

hogmolar

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on July 20, 2017, 01:56:11 pm
So going by this explanation we must win 9-10 games a year.  There are always going to be "what ifs" in any season with losses.  There are going to be beat downs but also be games you win that you shouldn't.  There are going to be "brain farts" but also moments of excellence that lead to wins. This right here is all part of what make sports so great at any level (yes even the pros have this).  There will only be a handful of teams at the end of the year that look back and say man that was a great season and we played flawless. Those are the few that have a chance to win the national title.  All others will be spending time, looking back and pondering "man if only.."  The problem here is that people can't accept this and always want someone to blame and think that the exception (playing flawless) should be the norm.    If you take the games you listed and we play those "the way you think we should play" then we would be contending for the national championship every year. 

Pigsknuckles

I think some are taking my comments as a punch list for success. Of course that is far from the truth. Taking care of business just keeps you in the game and in a position to do great things. The only guarantee is that if you don't do these things, the best you may be able to hope for is playing in a minor mid-December weekday afternoon bowl game.

Cinco de Hogo

Quote from: hogsanity on July 20, 2017, 12:54:26 pm

I think the vast majority of fans have some kind of standard.  Very few would be ok if we never won another game.  Having said that "get it done" is very subjective.  Put your own stamp on it.