Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mostly impressive showing from the hogs....

Started by SPAL, September 30, 2017, 02:38:45 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SPAL

We finally had some wideouts step up. Our running game took a step forward and we have some exciting talent in the backfield. Allen looked spot on minus the pick that he forced. O'Grady looks legit.

Defense looked soft like they didn't wanna get beat deep. I never understood that approach. But, they have a legit QB and good talent at WR..  Give them credit, they are pretty good on timing routes. We stuffed the run when they did try. Didn't seem to get enough pressure from rushing 3 and too many soft spots in the zone.....we gotta correct one or the other.

Special teams were solid.

LRHawg

Mostly agree, although with the kick out of bounds and mediocre tackling I wasn't real impressed with special teams. I mean, they didn't run one back so there's that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 30, 2017, 02:38:45 pm
We finally had some wideouts step up. Our running game took a step forward and we have some exciting talent in the backfield. Allen looked spot on minus the pick that he forced. O'Grady looks legit.

Defense looked soft like they didn't wanna get beat deep. I never understood that approach. But, they have a legit QB and good talent at WR..  Give them credit, they are pretty good on timing routes. We stuffed the run when they did try. Didn't seem to get enough pressure from rushing 3 and too many soft spots in the zone.....we gotta correct one or the other.

We faced a QB who typically gets the ball out early, so much more difficult to get pressure on him. We will likely see more of that from SEC teams in the future with better receivers, so we need to find a better way to create pressure. I will say however, that when we wanted to create extra pressure, we did. We need more of that. Are we holding back our pressures for the SEC schedule? We will see.

Perfect we aren't. Not where we need to be. Should have scored more than 50 on these guys and limited them to 14 or less, but we are improving overall. That said, Allen still doesn't look just right. Not sure what it is be he isn't the same QB from last year. Did the receivers from last year make him look better? Maybe? Good news is that we seem to have more receivers coming forward this year, or do we? Jordan Jones had 4 for 84 yds, Stewart 4 for 71, Nance 6 for 58 and O'Grady 3 for 38.

Need to get our TE's more involved.
Go Hogs Go!

TDHawgs

Improvements from the WR's for sure... not sure the O Line did any better or the defense though.

elksnort

The offense look pretty dadgum good. The defense has to step it up for the upcoming games

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Polecat

Arkansas born and raised. 1999 UA alum

sowmonella

Good win. A couple of those NMS guys (QB,WR)have a chance to play on Sundays.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

Kevin

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hogwild

Looked good all around, play like that next week, eliminate the turnovers and we stand a good chance.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: sowmonella on September 30, 2017, 03:26:22 pm
Good win. A couple of those NMS guys (QB,WR)have a chance to play on Sundays.

You may be right, but it seems to be the mantra after every game!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

SPAL

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2017, 03:01:40 pm
We faced a QB who typically gets the ball out early, so much more difficult to get pressure on him. We will likely see more of that from SEC teams in the future with better receivers, so we need to find a better way to create pressure. I will say however, that when we wanted to create extra pressure, we did. We need more of that. Are we holding back our pressures for the SEC schedule? We will see.

Perfect we aren't. Not where we need to be. Should have scored more than 50 on these guys and limited them to 14 or less, but we are improving overall. That said, Allen still doesn't look just right. Not sure what it is be he isn't the same QB from last year. Did the receivers from last year make him look better? Maybe? Good news is that we seem to have more receivers coming forward this year, or do we? Jordan Jones had 4 for 84 yds, Stewart 4 for 71, Nance 6 for 58 and O'Grady 3 for 38.

Need to get our TE's more involved.

This is a good point for the most part. My issue is when the guy had all day to throw it. I understand not getting pressure on a 3 step drop and put, but it seemed to me, more times than not, the guy had time to watch plays develop 15 yards down field. That's concerning to me.

I think we have the horses, I'm just not sure about the scheme.

Tusks

sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

sowmonella

Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

hawgmasta

Quote from: sowmonella on September 30, 2017, 04:16:13 pm
We only gave up 11 rushing yards.

Nice. I don't think our defense was especially pumped up this game but still did this.

swineology

Very little QB pressure. SEC games will be tough unless something changes

HotlantaHog

About as expected. There is no doubt at all Hogs can manhandle teams that have clearly inferior talent. Playing against SEC level talent is another challenge ...no doubt Hogs will beat Missouri, but the rest of the schedule still looks reasonably daunting. South Carolina will be a good test.

Tusks

Yeah this was a 'sisters of the poor' game, that shouldn't be forgotten. 

They have 3 legit chances to win a SEC game this season and the first one is next weekend.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Hogs run wild

September 30, 2017, 04:37:20 pm #18 Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 06:58:17 pm by Hogs run wild
we all have our agendas huh sirpigs?
We all got a chicken duck woman thing waiting for us.

Youngsta71701

Passing D still sucks. It makes me sick to watch this soft coverage. No pride and fight whatsoever. Just let them do whatever they want and go wherever they want.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

SoonerSooie

I think we can see quite an impressive group of wide outs beginning to emerge. Happened last week a couple of times, and several times today, with very impressive speed and catches. Cause for a bit of optimism.

Jonbo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 30, 2017, 03:01:40 pm
That said, Allen still doesn't look just right. Not sure what it is be he isn't the same QB from last year. Did the receivers from last year make him look better? Maybe?

I attribute his recent tentativeness to having been virtually murdered so often since taking over at QB. Seems to me it began sometime after mid-season last year, his effectiveness peaking at mid-season. He's still a pretty good QB, in my opinion, and will hopefully regain his previous sparkle.

SPAL

It seems to be the issue is scheme related, but it also doesn't appear to be a vintage Rhodes defense. It seems like has been more aggressive in his past.

31to6

Quote from: LRHawg on September 30, 2017, 02:42:22 pm
Mostly agree, although with the kick out of bounds and mediocre tackling I wasn't real impressed with special teams. I mean, they didn't run one back so there's that.
Our kick coverage team seems slow. I have no evidence other than the yardline we have reached when they field the ball, but I wonder if we have enough speed on the field covering kickoffs.

Oklahawg

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on September 30, 2017, 06:17:04 pm
It seems to be the issue is scheme related, but it also doesn't appear to be a vintage Rhodes defense. It seems like has been more aggressive in his past.

Its almost exclusively prevent defense. Make teams have laborious drives, making them anxious or prone to mistakes, and add in the chance for a T/O. We seem to be pretty decent at CB and ILB but ordinary at OLB and undermanned at safety. This is about speed and tackling, but also game smarts - a career of being "bust up a running play" safety is too much for good coaching to completely undo with our safeties (it appears).

I also suspect they want to master the prevent and are worried that too many blitz packages leave them prone to gaffes in the back end. Remember, they do not have several years of repping the schemes in spring + fall practices. Only so many nuances will go in this first year.

Coverage units were good today. I think many of us are guilty of presuming that a kick that doesn't boom out of the EZ is a bad kick, or that they'd prefer all kicks to boom out of the EZ. They are using the improved team speed to try and pin teams deep. As big as a touchback is to fans, the momentum and emotional boost provided by a big coverage play is even bigger to players.

As for the OL, it is the slowest to be developed of any unit on the team. And, teams will know that is your weakness and go after it. This is no different than when Mallet and Wilson would be blasted for several weeks as the OL struggled to gain all the nuances of the system. I want to see growth over the season, and do not expect miracles game to game.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

NotSoFastMyFriend

Quote from: tusked on September 30, 2017, 04:27:52 pm
Yeah this was a 'sisters of the poor' game, that shouldn't be forgotten. 

They have 3 legit chances to win a SEC game this season and the first one is next weekend.
3 "legit" chances or 5? I count USCe, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou and now LSU.

SPAL

Quote from: Hogs run wild on September 30, 2017, 04:37:20 pm
we all have our agendas huh sirpigs?

Yes. The agenda here is finding positive things to talk about. If you can't do that, find one of the numerous other threads to be an idiot.

devildoghawg

Defense played vanilla on purpose.  Didn't want to take any chances getting gashed on a long pass so we gave them cushion.  The run was non existent.  Honestly starting to think we might win more games than originally thought after TCU. 
Quote from: kingofdequeen on July 25, 2013, 06:21:48 pm
If you've got a dumba** son, do you love him any less?  no.  you just overlook his faults b/c you love him.  At least that's what my dad does.