Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Anderson: Is this the standard for our program?

Started by Porked Tongue, March 16, 2018, 10:00:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogsanity

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:12:15 pm
I just think Coach A gets too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit for all the good things he's done and accomplished.

Really? He hardly gets any blame for anything. Gets out-recruited? Well everyone else is cheating. Loses to a team like LSU ( twice ) - well LSu is just a bad matchup or we caught them on a hot night. Gets rolled in someone elses gym - well the refs just would let us play our game. Mike never gets blamed for anything.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Cargill A. BullHog

I just think this may be the wrong time to judge Coach A.  The tough loss is fresh on our minds.  People will dwell on the 2 losses to end the season, and not all the big wins Coach A got us during the season.  Next year will be an improvement because he'll have young eager players who are ready to buy into the fastest 40 philosophy.  WPS
I love my Razorbacks, Coach A, Coach M, Coach VH and all the players and fans.

daprospecta

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 01:22:41 pm
Believe what you want, but to put the blame on the players and say they never bought into his masterful coaching is a weak and lazy argument.
I don't think that is what he means.  Mike does not get credit for any player from Arkansas staying home and choosing the hogs.  Mike does not get credit for wins, it's normally because somebody on the team got hot.  When we lose, all Mike's fault.  If our defense is lacking, all Mike's fault. 

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 03:10:49 pm
I don't think that is what he means.  Mike does not get credit for any player from Arkansas staying home and choosing the hogs.  Mike does not get credit for wins, it's normally because somebody on the team got hot.  When we lose, all Mike's fault.  If our defense is lacking, all Mike's fault.

Yeah, its like when things go right, its because of our great talent, but when things go wrong its because Coach A cant scheme. 

Coach A is the same coach whether he has talent or not, the results vary due to the level of committment and level of talent that is on the court.

steveaustin69

He shouldn't. This is the absolute bare minimum expectation, and he doesn't even get that done every year.

daprospecta

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 19, 2018, 03:24:09 pm
So, if we win or lose it is because of the players.
I think you've missed the context.  The narrative seems to be if things go right, it had nothing to do with Mike.  If things go wrong, it's all because of Mike and here are a million reasons why.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 03:27:04 pm
I think you've missed the context.  The narrative seems to be if things go right, it had nothing to do with Mike.  If things go wrong, it's all because of Mike and here are a million reasons why.

You do realize the guy you're siding with and attempting to back up is obviously trolling, right?

Go look at his previous posts:

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on February 23, 2018, 03:38:06 pm
Im not sure I follow what youre saying.

Im saying that Coach A is a force for good in the universe and that many Hog fans, including me, are super proud of his integrity.

daprospecta

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 03:30:12 pm
You do realize the guy you're siding with and attempting to back up is obviously trolling, right?

That's not who I responded to.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 03:32:09 pm
That's not who I responded to.

Um. Are you slow?

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 01:12:15 pm
I just think Coach A gets too much blame when things go wrong and not enough credit for all the good things he's done and accomplished.

Quote from: jst01 on March 19, 2018, 01:22:41 pm
Believe what you want, but to put the blame on the players and say they never bought into his masterful coaching is a weak and lazy argument.

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 03:18:04 pm
Yeah, its like when things go right, its because of our great talent, but when things go wrong its because Coach A cant scheme. 

Coach A is the same coach whether he has talent or not, the results vary due to the level of committment and level of talent that is on the court.

Quote from: Arkansas Traveler on March 19, 2018, 03:24:09 pm
So, if we win or lose it is because of the players.

hogsanity

Depends on who's narrative you are talking about. Guys like Letsroll, FCJ, Shadow fall in the " if it goes right it is because of Mike, and if it does not it is everyone elses fault ( players, refs, cheating coach on the other team, etc ).
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Porked Tongue

Not to get too deep, but Mike tries to cover up his inability to coach half court by getting cheap baskets.  He habitually sacrifices glasswork on the defensive end for an opportunity at an any easy basket.

He predicates everything around getting easy baskets.

More and more, they are harder to find and that is partially due to tighter whistles but nevertheless it shows the reliance on other teams to make mistakes or pocket their whistles.

You see it all the time where true structure trumps talent.  Talent is obviously a huge need but talent shouldn't be confused with athleticism either.  Athletes on a basketball court can only take you so far. 

Playing together with screens, movement, rotation and more is beautiful thing.  Right now, our beauty is only in monster dunks.

All you got to do is watch what we do out of timeouts and at the end of shot clocks or halftime buzzers.  Then watch other teams score in a heartbeat out of a set play.

Every thing comes down to making shots.  I agree on that. But we rely on turnovers that are not coming and half court sets that rely exclusively on a tough 3 or one-on-one dribble drive. 

We just play ugly an for us ugly costs us most of the time when it matters most.

HF#1

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 19, 2018, 04:14:01 pm
Not to get too deep, but Mike tries to cover up his inability to coach half court by getting cheap baskets.  He habitually sacrifices glasswork on the defensive end for an opportunity at an any easy basket.

More and more, they are harder to find and that is partially due to tighter whistles but nevertheless it shows the reliance on other teams to make mistakes or pocket their whistles.

You see it all the time where true structure trumps talent.  Talent is obviously a huge need but talent shouldn't be confused with athleticism either.  Athletes on a basketball court can only take you so far. 

Playing together with screens, movement, rotation and more is beautiful thing.  Right now, our beauty is only in monster dunks.

All you got to do is watch what we do out of timeouts and at the end of shot clocks or halftime buzzers.  Then watch other teams score in a heartbeat out of a set play.

Every thing comes down to making shots.  I agree on that. But we rely on turnovers that are not coming and half court sets that rely exclusively on a tough 3 or one-on-one dribble drive. 

We just play ugly an for us ugly costs us most of the time when it matters most.

Yep. In short we play a pick-up game style while others play real basketball. Chess vs Checkers. It is really exposed when we play teams like Butler, UNC, etc.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

dsims2k3

I find the term street ball derogatory. It's uptempo. If CMA coaches "street ball" then does that mean Chad Morris  coaches back yard football? It goes both ways.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

steveaustin69

Quote from: dsims2k3 on March 19, 2018, 04:44:58 pm
I find the term street ball derogatory. It's uptempo. If CMA coaches "street ball" then does that mean Chad Morris  coaches back yard football? It goes both ways.

Funny for two reasons:

1) You're the only person who has used the term "street ball."
2) The fact you actually take offense is comical

daprospecta

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 03:37:51 pm
Um. Are you slow?

Are you slow? I responded to a specific post. I could care less what the OP of the post I responded to said.

daprospecta

There are many ways to skin a cat. Just because it doesn't look good to you does not necessarily mean it is not working.  UVA is very and I mean a very sound program with fundamentals out of the ass and got beat by UMBC.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 04:53:47 pm
Are you slow? I responded to a specific post. I could care less what the OP of the post I responded to said.

"You're siding with a guy that's trolling"

"No, I'm not. I responded to someone else."

"Well, yes, but you tried to explain the troll's point of view to that someone else."

"Doesn't matter."

dsims2k3

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 04:51:46 pm
Funny for two reasons:

1) You're the only person who has used the term "street ball."
2) The fact you actually take offense is comical
Pick up ball/street ball

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

daprospecta

Quote from: HF#1 on March 19, 2018, 04:15:52 pm
Yep. In short we play a pick-up game style while others play real basketball. Chess vs Checkers. It is really exposed when we play teams like Butler, UNC, etc.
So our pickup basketball works against the same team that beat UNC this weekend.  WVA runs a similar style of play and they are in the sweet 16.  Maybe this "pick up game" style isn't so bad.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 05:00:07 pm
So our pickup basketball works against the same team that beat UNC this weekend.  WVA runs a similar style of play and they are in the sweet 16.  Maybe this "pick up game" style isn't so bad.

Ah. Hanging your hat on the success of other programs.

Mike apologists just throw dung and hope something sticks.

OkieBack

Quote from: GuvHog on March 17, 2018, 09:56:12 am
Jeff Long was Mike Anderson's safety net. As Long as Jeff Long remained the AD, Mike's job as Head basketball coach was secure.

Late last year that safety net was cut down and things have changed. He isn't likely to be fired this year but if things don't improve greatly, it will eventually happen and possibly sooner than some think.

With that said, and considering folks say the talent level isn't jumping up with the next class of recruits...this is why I focus on probably replacing one of the assistants to make the team more fundamentally sound.  But if assistants are like family and Mike makes no attempt to better the situation, then if the hammer falls upon him it will be his own doing.  He is being warned in so many words this year.  If he gets fired, his whole family gets fired.

It will be interesting to see if CMA heeds the wake up call (exiting to Butler) or if he continues on his current path.  Thing is, if the Hogs only go 15-15 next year...what is his excuse?  He surely can't say he has recruited better players?  And how long does he get the "young players developing" free pass?  No, my opinion has changed significantly since the Butler loss.  CMA will be under the gun in 2018 and if he is smart...he knows it and will recognize it with actions.  If he is going to make the program better I prefer he feel the heat now and bust some chops getting things fixed. 

Porked Tongue

Name a highly successful program that plays the style that Arkansas thinks it plays.

Captain Morgan

The highest standard so far is beating Wofford. We still can hang our hats on that victory.  :puke:

Breems

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 19, 2018, 05:26:32 pm
Name a highly successful program that plays the style that Arkansas thinks it plays.

I feel like this is a trap, but what is West Virginia?
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

Mjs84

Quote from: hogsanity on March 19, 2018, 01:48:08 pm
Really? He hardly gets any blame for anything. Gets out-recruited? Well everyone else is cheating. Loses to a team like LSU ( twice ) - well LSu is just a bad matchup or we caught them on a hot night. Gets rolled in someone elses gym - well the refs just would let us play our game. Mike never gets blamed for anything.

This should be displayed on the front page of jump ball.   Truer words have never been spoken.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 19, 2018, 05:28:14 pm
The highest standard so far is beating Wofford. We still can hang our hats on that victory.  :puke:
Seaton Hall?🤔

Mjs84

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 19, 2018, 03:06:12 pm
I just think this may be the wrong time to judge Coach A.  The tough loss is fresh on our minds.  People will dwell on the 2 losses to end the season, and not all the big wins Coach A got us during the season.  Next year will be an improvement because he'll have young eager players who are ready to buy into the fastest 40 philosophy.  WPS

Lol..Next year?  Where have I heard that before?

Mjs84

Depends on how 3ffective it's been.  Last 7 years, not so much!

Mjs84

Quote from: OkieBack on March 19, 2018, 05:23:14 pm
With that said, and considering folks say the talent level isn't jumping up with the next class of recruits...this is why I focus on probably replacing one of the assistants to make the team more fundamentally sound.  But if assistants are like family and Mike makes no attempt to better the situation, then if the hammer falls upon him it will be his own doing.  He is being warned in so many words this year.  If he gets fired, his whole family gets fired.

It will be interesting to see if CMA heeds the wake up call (exiting to Butler) or if he continues on his current path.  Thing is, if the Hogs only go 15-15 next year...what is his excuse?  He surely can't say he has recruited better players?  And how long does he get the "young players developing" free pass?  No, my opinion has changed significantly since the Butler loss.  CMA will be under the gun in 2018 and if he is smart...he knows it and will recognize it with actions.  If he is going to make the program better I prefer he feel the heat now and bust some chops getting things fixed.

There is no wakeup call.  Mike has been hitting snooze for the last 7 years!

OkieBack

Quote from: Mjs84 on March 19, 2018, 09:12:14 pm
There is no wakeup call.  Mike has been hitting snooze for the last 7 years!

All things in time, my friend.  I'm just saying CMA won't be given the eternal free pass like you think.  After 8 years eventually someone higher up is going to ask "is this the best we can do?" 

I"m all for giving CMA a fair shake but you can't perpetually fall on the "young players developing" excuse.  Eventually those young players need to grow up and start dominating if they really are that good.  If they aren't that good or they want to run off to the NBA, then that's on the head coach and his assistants.  Mike may be hitting the snooze button on the wake up call like you say, but eventually his boss is gonna storm in that bedroom and tell him to get out of the house.  The real heat on CMA begins now. 

rljjr

I appreciate everything Mike has done for Arkansas as an assistant and as head coach. However, the warm nostalgia of the Richardson era is gone, and the Anderson scheme has taken us as far as it can. Anderson gets credit for stabilizing the program and bringing it back to some semblance of a winner, and for that I say thank you. It's not unreasonable to look at his record and results and realize he's right in his winning wheelhouse. He will have my respect and thanks for what he's done. But he's also gone as far as he can (from historical trends and analysis) and it's time to take a look at finding the next coach to get us over the hump and continue moving upward.

hogsanity

Quote from: daprospecta on March 19, 2018, 05:00:07 pm

Well, worked against them at home, when they were missing at least one major player. At their place, not so much.

As for WVA, they play more D in 3 minutes than the Hogs would play in an entire game, and they do so with their feet, not by reaching and grabbing and slapping all the time. And, if you look at the Sweet 16, WVA is the exception, not the rule.

Except it is not even uptempo. The Hogs routinely found themselves having to force things with the shot clock under 5 seconds. They often found themselves having to defend in the half court for 20-25 seconds as well.

Another thing that people seem to forget, the overall tempo of colleg basketball has been sped up by continual lowering of the shot clock. When Nolan 1st came to the hill the chot clock was at 45, and still may have been turned off in the last 5 minutes of the game. Was lowered to 35 in 93, and then to 30 a few years ago.

With the lowering of the shot clock, and the increased use of pressing/trapping in all levels of school play, more and more players could handle the ball, reducing the effectiveness of trying to speed up an opponent. Add in improved 3 pt shooting and the style of play Mike clings to with loyalty beyond reason really is not that effective anymore.

porkinsons disease

nailed it ^^^^
This hiding behind he has a great recruiting classcoming in crap is just another excuse for this man. you could give this man M. Johnson and Larry Bird togather and he still would not win. he is a pitiful coach who can,t coach a lick.-fcj 1/22/2011

Sivad

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 20, 2018, 08:25:25 pm
1A. Wofford
1B. Seton Hall
The absolute High Water Marks of the NolAnderson 7+ Year Nostalgia Tour.
Sad.

Captain Morgan

Quote from: Sivad on March 20, 2018, 11:46:41 pm
The absolute High Water Marks of the NolAnderson 7+ Year Nostalgia Tour.
Sad.

Its embarrassing to think how well people are using their pom poms for something that's not happened since 1996.  :puke:

99toLife

Quote from: Captain Morgan on March 21, 2018, 02:30:34 pm
Its embarrassing to think how well people are using their pom poms for something that's not happened since 1996.  :puke:

it's sad and pathetic. 

hogsanity

What is really sad is that the standard for the program has been being set by the Mike PR team for going on 8 years. That standard is " we need Mike as HC, it is great having Mike Home, Mike IS Arkansas basketball ".  Everything, including on court success, is secondary to them being able to look at the sideline and see Mike.

OkieBack

Quote from: 99toLife on March 21, 2018, 02:38:42 pm
it's sad and pathetic.

This fodder is fun, but its all speculative and overrated.  Thank God that the only ones who control their own destiny are CMA and the players he has recruited.  The thing is...if CMA comes out with this new string of players and they flop then all here on this site will be WAILING to get rid of Mike.  It will become deafening. 

However, if this group of Freshmen come in here and play lights out and get into the NCAAT or Heaven forbid win a game or two in the tourney...all the naysayers will disappear into the woodwork because they won't have a single thing to hang their hat on.  I'm still 50/50 on CMA, but I have to admit we are going to see some difference faces on the court next year with different skills.  And don't be surprised if it doesn't pay off for old CMA.  He better hope it does.  The alternative won't be pretty.

Kevin

Quote from: hogsanity on March 21, 2018, 02:47:00 pm
What is really sad is that the standard for the program has been being set by the Mike PR team for going on 8 years. That standard is " we need Mike as HC, it is great having Mike Home, Mike IS Arkansas basketball ".  Everything, including on court success, is secondary to them being able to look at the sideline and see Mike.

this
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Cargill A. BullHog

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 19, 2018, 03:30:12 pm

I'm just an old man who loves Coach A and the Hogs.  Not really sure what "trolling" means, unless were talking about fishing or guarding bridges.

hogsanity

Quote from: Cargill A. BullHog on March 21, 2018, 03:44:07 pm
I'm just an old man who loves Coach A and the Hogs.  Not really sure what "trolling" means, unless were talking about fishing or guarding bridges.

Very telling that you mention your love for Coach A 1st and the Hogs 2nd.

Cargill A. BullHog

Oh, I see.

Ok, I'm just an old fellla that loves the Hogs and Coach A.   Is that better? 

The thread is about Coach A though, he needs our support.  He's already working on next years plan, and I expect to see the new version of Fastest 40, this time with energetic, talented, young players who will buy into the winning system.

Go Hogs

Porked Tongue

If it was ANYONE besides Coach Anderson, that head would have rolled already.  Mike's got 9 lives worth of patience from so many people it truly eliminates any pressure to win.

If a coach isn't getting pressure to win(more than he has), then it might as be rec ball.

No sense of urgency except when it comes to selling tickets and gathering up donations.  Heck, I'd argue Heath had a tougher road(following NR) and had essentially the same amount of success in a shorter time frame.

daprospecta

Quote from: Porked Tongue on March 21, 2018, 03:50:06 pm
If it was ANYONE besides Coach Anderson, that head would have rolled already.  Mike's got 9 lives worth of patience from so many people it truly eliminates any pressure to win.

If a coach isn't getting pressure to win(more than he has), then it might as be rec ball.

No sense of urgency except when it comes to selling tickets and gathering up donations.  Heck, I'd argue Heath had a tougher road(following NR) and had essentially the same amount of success in a shorter time frame.
No pressure? I'm pretty sure heads were rolling last year when we had that bad streak before we turned it on and went on a winning streak.  Even former players were calling him out. You guys think the sweet 16 is promised to us consistently? Jay Wright went from 2008-2014 never making it out of the first weekend and didn't even make the tourney one of those years before winning the title in 2015.  You can say "Jay Wright, had an elite 8, final four, and sweet 16 appearance before that", well CMA has an elite 8 and sweet 16 appearance before but no one seems to care about that when it comes to Mike. Here is the truth, accept it if you'd like but you are not going to get much better than CMA unless you are taking a big gamble.  After only going to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 13 years we are finally stabilizing and looking like a solid program.  You don't uproot that just because you THINK an up-and-comer MIGHT(THIS IS A HUGE MIGHT) get us to the sweet 16 or higher.

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 21, 2018, 04:43:38 pm
No pressure? I'm pretty sure heads were rolling last year when we had that bad streak before we turned it on and went on a winning streak.  Even former players were calling him out. You guys think the sweet 16 is promised to us consistently? Jay Wright went from 2008-2014 never making it out of the first weekend and didn't even make the tourney one of those years before winning the title in 2015.  You can say "Jay Wright, had an elite 8, final four, and sweet 16 appearance before that", well CMA has an elite 8 and sweet 16 appearance before but no one seems to care about that when it comes to Mike. Here is the truth, accept it if you'd like but you are not going to get much better than CMA unless you are taking a big gamble.  After only going to the NCAA tournament 3 times in 13 years we are finally stabilizing and looking like a solid program.  You don't uproot that just because you THINK an up-and-comer MIGHT(THIS IS A HUGE MIGHT) get us to the sweet 16 or higher.

Because it wasn't here. That matters. Whether you like it or not. That matters a great deal. Can always count on a Mike apologist to hang his hat on accomplishments of another program.

We made the tourney 3 times in 9 years without Anderson. 3 in 7 with him.

daprospecta

Quote from: steveaustin69 on March 21, 2018, 04:50:08 pm
Because it wasn't here. That matters. Whether you like it or not. That matters a great deal. Can always count on a Mike apologist to hang his hat on accomplishments of another program.

So if Mike was hired instead of Stan Health and went to the elite 8 in 2006, the sweet 16 in 2008 and didn't make it out of the first weekend for six straight years, do you think he would still be coaching here in 2015?

steveaustin69

Quote from: daprospecta on March 21, 2018, 04:55:25 pm
So if Mike was hired instead of Stan Health and went to the elite 8 in 2006, the sweet 16 in 2008 and didn't make it out of the first weekend for six straight years, do you think he would still be coaching here in 2015?

Yes.

Porked Tongue

Quote from: daprospecta on March 21, 2018, 04:43:38 pm
You can't predict the future.  All I can go on is the past.  Past says Mike isn't going to go any higher here.

There are many examples of other coaches who turned the corner faster and reach higher.  I don't think we're risking that much if we make a change.

You can hug on him all you want but you can't hang your hat on sustained true success here.  His average isn't far from his best when it comes to coaching Arkansas.  He's middle of the curve and it's being allowed.  It's vanilla.  I don't see how any reasonable person can be overly optimistic.  He's had talent and he's done without talent.  Results are pretty much the same.

Hell, we already are hearing how it will be better but harder to have a better record next year.  I like hamburger, but every now and then I'd like a 16 oz T-Bone.

cram224

CMA needs to win something, regular season or SECT. I would nearly bet that had Nolan not won the SECT in 2000 he would have been out quicker. After the 95 season we were in a decline. If you look at the last few years of Nolan he had the same type of team that we are seeing now. Outside of Gafford, no post presence and a roster full of 6'4" to 6'7" wing players that needs a coach to teach fundamentals.