Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

players' and coaches quotes in today's paper

Started by HognotinMemphis, October 16, 2017, 11:32:01 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HognotinMemphis

1. We're not worrying about a bowl game, we're just worrying about the next game.

2. This one by Bielema: We've got "fill in the blank" coming to town and we've got to get better in a short amount of time.  I keep telling these guys, the things you see and the things we have to do are correctable.  But as coaches, we've got to hone in better. We've got to make sure we are not asking them to do too much.  -Heard that only 20 times in last 5 years.

3. We've just got to keep fighting.

4. We've lost a lot but we've still got a lot to play for.

5. We've just got to regroup.

6. We've got to decide as players - us as players - that enough is enough.

7. I feel like we started doing some things uptempo a little bit. We got them on their heels a little bit. (yeah, a little bit. Lost only 41 to 9)

8. Bielema again: There's a lot of positive and some things we can build off of. (true, but since this is 2nd half of season now, sort of need to begin construction.)

9. I think the guys kept fighting until the clock hit 4 zeros. We finished stronger. The big thing was, don't go out like we did last week. (took only 6 games to decide to commit to playing all out for entire game. Give the team a cookie)

10. Bielema: The way we started defensively was very disheartening. (well, the way we started offensively was not any better, ole Bert. Check the score at halftime.)

11. We just can't give up stuff like that on defense.

12. Bielema: The only people who can change this are here in this room. It was a solemn, quiet locker room, but one that we'll get back and strap on and play.

Interesting to see these similar quotes from previous 4 seasons. I guess it is true that talk is not the same as walk.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

jst01

He's got about a dozen quotes he uses every time and he doesn't know what else to say. He's a great talker in the off-season when he's talking to Razorback clubs and being funny and going off script. But when its about the actual game and serious football talk, he repeats the same tired old statements over and over.

I heard Barry Alvarez interviewed on Bo's show a few months back and after hearing Barry talk about games, players and recruiting; I came to the conclusion that Bret basically forged Barry's ideas and lingo. All the way from his "uncommon men" idea to the way he talks about his "style" of football.  Bret plagiarized Barry on almost everything.

SoonerSooie

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:32:01 am
1. We're not worrying about a bowl game, we're just worrying about the next game.

2. This one by Bielema: We've got "fill in the blank" coming to town and we've got to get better in a short amount of time.  I keep telling these guys, the things you see and the things we have to do are correctable.  But as coaches, we've got to hone in better. We've got to make sure we are not asking them to do too much.  -Heard that only 20 times in last 5 years.

7. I feel like we started doing some things uptempo a little bit. We got them on their heels a little bit. (yeah, a little bit. Lost only 41 to 9)

8. Bielema again: There's a lot of positive and some things we can build off of. (true, but since this is 2nd half of season now, sort of need to begin construction.)

9. I think the guys kept fighting until the clock hit 4 zeros. We finished stronger. The big thing was, don't go out like we did last week. (took only 6 games to decide to commit to playing all out for entire game. Give the team a cookie)

10. Bielema: The way we started defensively was very disheartening. (well, the way we started offensively was not any better, ole Bert. Check the score at halftime.)

12. Bielema: The only people who can change this are here in this room. It was a solemn, quiet locker room, but one that we'll get back and strap on and play.

Interesting to see these similar quotes from previous 4 seasons. I guess it is true that talk is not the same as walk.

Not really like this is not true of every coach, of every team that is not winning every game. There is not an unlimited "script" to explain losing week after week.

From Tusk Till Dawn

azhog10

I think it's what you would hear from any 2 and whatever team that expected to have a much better record at this point. The problem isn't what they are saying. IT's that we have heard it nearly every year around this point in the season.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: azhog10 on October 16, 2017, 12:33:00 pm
The problem isn't what they are saying. IT's that we have heard it nearly every year around this point in the season.
Yes, that was my primary point. Some here are slow on the uptake.
I don't want you to agree with me because you're weak. I want you to agree with me because you know I'm right.

GolfnHog

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 12:36:55 pm
Yes, that was my primary point. Some here are slow on the uptake.

And some of you are redundant in your regurgitating of the same ole same ole. 
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

Grag T

"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

AlmaHog2011

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 16, 2017, 12:41:00 pm

You mean like watching BBs same ole same ole? Or are you just mad about us talking about it? Cause it happens over and over same mistakes.
What should we talk about?

Pigsknuckles

Looks like a buzzword bingo card. That, or the rules for a new Arkansas drinking game.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jgphillips3

ricepig

Quote from: AlmaHog2011 on October 16, 2017, 12:44:32 pm
You mean like watching BBs same ole same ole? Or are you just mad about us talking about it? Cause it happens over and over same mistakes.
What should we talk about?

BP, there currently isn't a thread in the top 10 on him........

AlmaHog2011

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: jst01 on October 16, 2017, 11:41:51 am
He's got about a dozen quotes he uses every time and he doesn't know what else to say. He's a great talker in the off-season when he's talking to Razorback clubs and being funny and going off script. But when its about the actual game and serious football talk, he repeats the same tired old statements over and over.

I heard Barry Alvarez interviewed on Bo's show a few months back and after hearing Barry talk about games, players and recruiting; I came to the conclusion that Bret basically forged Barry's ideas and lingo. All the way from his "uncommon men" idea to the way he talks about his "style" of football.  Bret plagiarized Barry on almost everything.
Too bad he didn't plagiarize Barry's overall success on the field.  >:(

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: jst01 on October 16, 2017, 11:41:51 am

here's a big one he uses all the time:  "nothing on that film that cant be corrected."   Yeah, right.  Okay will CORRECT it then.

smb

I like the one we are probably asking our players to do too much. Ok now try that on your assistant coaches and your self!
GeorgiaHOG

jgphillips3

Quote from: smb on October 16, 2017, 01:27:11 pm
I like the one we are probably asking our players to do too much. Ok now try that on your assistant coaches and your self!

Do you think Saban, Urban, Dabo or any other championship coach would ever say that drivel?  Damn it, I don't want a coach to ask them to do too much, I want the coach to demand they do too much, to expect more of them than they can ever expect of themselves and to excel in football and life.

Atlhogfan1

Thoughts HorninMemphis on your Horns losing and putting Ehlinger back in after he sustained a head injury?
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 16, 2017, 01:29:47 pm
Do you think Saban, Urban, Dabo or any other championship coach would ever say that drivel?  Damn it, I don't want a coach to ask them to do too much, I want the coach to demand they do too much, to expect more of them than they can ever expect of themselves and to excel in football and life.

Yes. Dabo says a lot of goofy darn and coachspeak.
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog N Bama

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on October 16, 2017, 01:24:24 pm
here's a big one he uses all the time:  "nothing on that film that cant be corrected."   Yeah, right.  Okay will CORRECT it then.
Like teaching the punter he is to PUNT not throw! OMG!

jabberjawls

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 11:53:10 am
Stop posting. No one cares what you think about quotes.
Can we get you to stop posting??

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: GolfnHog on October 16, 2017, 12:41:00 pm
When the team and coaches are redundant, so are the fans.

PorkRinds

twistitup

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 11:53:10 am
Stop posting. No one cares what you think about quotes.

I care. This board is for opinions - all opinions

You can stop posting if you like.
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

PorkRinds

Quote from: twistitup on October 16, 2017, 03:03:51 pm
I care. This board is for opinions - all opinions

You can stop posting if you like.

I simply said the exact same thing to his thread that he did to mike recently. Get your panties out of a twist.

Grag T

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 03:10:46 pm
I simply said the exact same thing to his thread that he did to mike recently. Get your panties out of a twist.

You sound awfully angry lately... that is not what hogville is all about.  We are a civilized and generally optimistic lot, above such things.
"Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live;  it is asking others to live as one wishes to live.  Unselfishness is letting other people's lives alone, not interfering with them.  Selfishness always aims at creating around it an absolute uniformity of type."  - Oscar Wilde

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grag T on October 16, 2017, 03:13:09 pm
You sound awfully angry lately... that is not what hogville is all about.  We are a civilized and generally optimistic lot, above such things.

Don't care. If you don't like it use the ignore feature.

Grag T

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 03:19:33 pm
Don't care. If you don't like it use the ignore feature.

Now now, don't be such a poop.  I believe you are letting this place get to you.  Great people rise above any circumstances that Hogville can throw at them.  Rise my friend!

nchogg

The heck with quotes we have all seen them before. This is a Coaching problem. I would like to see our OC decide what plays to call and the HC only intervene if he is not getting the job done. And can remember when Coach Smith did not get a raise because our wide receivers can't be in the right place and took him 2 plus years to get them there and look where we are now with them back to square 1. I think Coach Rhoads will get the job done on defense. There are assistant coaches on both sides of the ball that are not getting the job done and it's up to Coach B to see that they get the job done like most winning coaches do. We have a good OC and DC but they can only get their job done with the right supporting staff. It's up to our HC to get the right staff in place to get it done. Now I have had my say.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grag T on October 16, 2017, 03:25:06 pm
Now now, don't be such a poop.  I believe you are letting this place get to you.  Great people rise above any circumstances that Hogville can throw at them.  Rise my friend!

The guy literally said the same thing in response to a thread I posted. If you've got an issue with me responding in kind, That's a you issue. Hogville doesn't impact my mental status in any way.

Grag T

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 03:40:55 pm
The guy literally said the same thing in response to a thread I posted. If you've got an issue with me responding in kind, That's a you issue. Hogville doesn't impact my mental status in any way.

You misinterpret my noble intentions.  Hogville is a gathering of great minds, sharing great thoughts amongst great brethren (and occasional sistren).  Be the light my upstanding pork rinds, rise to the greatness that you were meant for my good fellow!

Grag T

Okay I can't do this sarcasm anymore.  Pork I'm just having fun messing about today  ;D

parallaxpig

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 16, 2017, 01:43:55 pm

You would think special teams coach would discuss that--oh wait never mind.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

PorkRinds

Quote from: Grag T on October 16, 2017, 03:48:56 pm
Okay I can't do this sarcasm anymore.  Pork I'm just having fun messing about today  ;D

Fair enough. I'm just having fun throwing his statements back at him.  ::hornsdown::

31to6

Quote from: Hog N Bama on October 16, 2017, 01:43:55 pm
The only thing a punter should do in that situation is run out the back of the EZ.

MushroomCloudHog

You know we are desperate when we are going "uptempo". I honestly can't see how this continues much longer with our program becoming more and more of a joke.

Paul

Quote from: MushroomCloudHog on October 16, 2017, 05:16:31 pm
You know we are desperate when we are going "uptempo". I honestly can't see how this continues much longer with our program becoming more and more of a joke.
. I thought it worked well

twistitup

Quote from: Paul on October 16, 2017, 06:21:06 pm
We have no identity, NONE

He came in claiming hi tempo O was dangerous, now he runs it?

Who is CBB?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

31to6

Quote from: Paul on October 16, 2017, 06:21:06 pm
I think it worked well by accident. About the only way to go up tempo is to put the QB in the gun. I think CK has more experience there than under center and, if your OL is porous, not having the QB turn his back on the defense to drop back helps him see the rush and get the ball out quicker...

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 16, 2017, 03:40:55 pm
Poor snowflake.

Pig in the Pokey

too funny that Bert now LIKES the hurry up offense, in mid 2017, he's seen the light smfh
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 16, 2017, 11:22:52 pm
Poor snowflake.

You're the guy that's been melting and crying in multiple forums. Your butt won't be sore forever.

Ragnar Hogbrok

"Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats." ― H.L. Mencken

Hogville prediction formula:

1.  Insert bad news prediction. A loss, a recruit going elsewhere, a coach leaving, etc.
2.  Tag "hope I'm wrong," on the end.
3a.  Enjoy a correct prediction.
3b.  Act like you're relieved you're wrong and celebrate with everyone else.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 17, 2017, 08:34:21 am
You're the guy that's been melting and crying in multiple forums. Your butt won't be sore forever.
Is that so? Tell me which forums I have cried in like you did in this one. Hahahaha. Poor little lying snowflake.

PorkRinds

Quote from: HoginMemphis on October 17, 2017, 09:05:54 am
Is that so? Tell me which forums I have cried in like you did in this one. Hahahaha. Poor little lying snowflake.

Here and politics, crybaby.

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: jgphillips3 on October 16, 2017, 01:29:47 pm

Look I can take a donkey over to Oaklawn.  I can feed him the best food, get him the best trainers, work him within an inch of his life. On race day I can yell and scream and demand that he run faster, but at the end of the day he's a donkey and he can't do what I want just because I demand it.  Now it's not his fault for being a donkey, but it is my fault for bringing a donkey to race with thoroughbreds. I don't care if you are Dabo, or Nick Saban, or whoever, you can't demand a kid run faster, I mean you can but he wont be able to do it.

If you overload a player with a lot of technique, which is important, and you give them more assignments than they can handle on the field you are setting them up for failure and that isn't what a good coach does.  A good coach does push and motivate and get players to play beyond what they believe they can do. The coach's job is to recognize the potential in the player and push them until they reach that potential.  With the right coach and the proper motivation a player can play to the peak of their ability, but they can't play beyond it no matter who their coach is.     

nchogg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 17, 2017, 09:42:10 am
Look I can take a donkey over to Oaklawn.  I can feed him the best food, get him the best trainers, work him within an inch of his life. On race day I can yell and scream and demand that he run faster, but at the end of the day he's a donkey and he can't do what I want just because I demand it.  Now it's not his fault for being a donkey, but it is my fault for bringing a donkey to race with thoroughbreds. I don't care if you are Dabo, or Nick Saban, or whoever, you can't demand a kid run faster, I mean you can but he wont be able to do it.

If you overload a player with a lot of technique, which is important, and you give them more assignments than they can handle on the field you are setting them up for failure and that isn't what a good coach does.  A good coach does push and motivate and get players to play beyond what they believe they can do. The coach's job is to recognize the potential in the player and push them until they reach that potential.  With the right coach and the proper motivation a player can play to the peak of their ability, but they can't play beyond it no matter who their coach is.   
Good point.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: PorkRinds on October 17, 2017, 09:08:57 am
Here and politics, crybaby.
Your definition of crying and everyone else's is quite different. You're very odd.

HognotinMemphis

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on October 17, 2017, 09:42:10 am

As the old saying goes, you can lead a donkey to a football coach, but they can't both be jackasses.