Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

It doesn't look like the Adidas FBI case is going away. Federal judge refuses

Started by k.c.hawg, February 15, 2018, 10:46:03 am

Previous topic - Next topic

k.c.hawg

to drop charges against 3 men that were seeking dismisal on the basis it shouldn't be a federal crime. According to the article it appears some of the big boys aren't going to be sleeping well. I know Kansas has been talked about and they have been on a slippery slope with several top recruits in the last several years.

Regardless what happens with the criminal cases, sources with knowledge of the FBI investigation told ESPN this week that the clandestine probe could result in potential NCAA violations for as many as three dozen Division I programs, based on information included in wiretap conversations from the defendants and financial records, emails and cell phone records seized from NBA agent Andy Miller. His office was raided on the same day the FBI arrested 10 men, including four assistant coaches, in late September.

"It's not the mid-major programs who were trying to buy players to get to the top," a source told ESPN. "It's the teams that are already there."

Miller, the president and founder of ASM Sports in New Jersey, relinquished his NBA agent certification in December. He represented NBA stars such as Kevin Garnett, Kristaps Porzingis, Kyle Lowry and Serge Ibaka.

The sources told ESPN that many of the alleged incidents involve illegal cash payments to prospects and their families, as well as players and their families receiving tens of thousands of dollars from agents while they were still playing in college. In some cases, according to the sources, NCAA head coaches were aware of the payments, while others didn't have knowledge of the schemes.

"At some point, the NCAA is going to see this stuff," the source said. "What are they going to do? They can't sit on their hands. If one kid is getting punished at USC for taking money, then the kid taking money at another school has to be punished, too."

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/22452439/judge-denies-motion-dismiss-federal-charges-men-basketball-corruption-case-former-adidas-executives-sports-agent
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

nwahogfan1

If laws or rules were broken then they must be punished.  The love of money and winning by coaches and fans must be harnessed. 

I think summer ball must be restricted to regional or state and we must try to keep illegal money out. 

FineAsSwine

Wow! Dozens of D1 programs? Geez. NCAA probably won't do anything though, I have completely lost faith in the ability of the NCAA to police college athletics.
Hogs up! Covid down!

cram224

What is worse, fake classes (see UNC) or paying players? I think fake classes because an entire college had to be involved. A bad apple can pay and receive a payment or bribe. If UNC gets nothing then nothing happens with pay to play.

outlawhogeywells

Remembering this is an fbi investigation. Not an NCAA investigation. This means probably criminal. NCAA won't be able to play favors with elite programs.

Fan701

At first I thought this was going to be a big deal when the story broke last fall, but then I saw that Bruce Pearl is in the running for coach of the year, and I realized that coaches who follow the rules are just chumps.  Sad.

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: cram224 on February 15, 2018, 11:03:22 am
What is worse, fake classes (see UNC) or paying players? I think fake classes because an entire college had to be involved. A bad apple can pay and receive a payment or bribe. If UNC gets nothing then nothing happens with pay to play.

I agree with this.  You can have one rogue booster screwing stuff up and it could be hard to detect unless a player comes forward or someone tells something (Thanks Herrod Divorce Case).

Need a lot more coordination and cooperation from many levels to pull off widespread academic fraud.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

k.c.hawg

Quote from: cram224 on February 15, 2018, 11:03:22 am

They are both bad but essentially there are elements of money laundering and tax evasion involved in this. People getting these $200,000 payments aren't reporting it as income, adidas is writing the money off as legal deductions. Kids are often being sold and not ever realizing much if any of the money that is changing hands.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

jjdlc

Wait, their argument for droping the charges was that it shouldn't be a federal crime?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahha

Danny J

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 15, 2018, 11:08:10 am
Remembering this is an fbi investigation. Not an NCAA investigation. This means probably criminal. NCAA won't be able to play favors with elite programs.
2 huge differences once the FBI is involved...A...subpoena power through grand jury and B...if you lie to FBI that's a felony neither of which the NCAA has the power to do. Been wanting to see real law enforcement involved with summer and college recruiting for years and years and I bet Nolan is smiling somewhere.

sickboy

Quote from: jjdlc on February 15, 2018, 12:26:55 pm
Wait, their argument for droping the charges was that it shouldn't be a federal crime?  HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAhahahahha

Step one: Admit you committed crime.
Step two: Seek dismal of crime by pointing out that said crime is not a crime in the eyes of a higher court.
Step three: Go to jail because you're a moron.

k.c.hawg

Two schools I have looked at their classes on signing day and said WTH......TAM and Mississippi St are both Adidas.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on February 15, 2018, 11:08:10 am

....and with the cash payments, you can bet the IRS will be quite interested in those on the receiving end of the money, as well.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

cram224

So how can tax fraud turn into penalties from the NCAA for these schools? Guilty coaches will face jail time. However does that mean schools will forfeit games and be withheld from the NCAAT? I can see the NCAA weasel out of this deal.

mykidsdad

Quote from: cram224 on February 15, 2018, 04:33:19 pm
So how can tax fraud turn into penalties from the NCAA for these schools? Guilty coaches will face jail time. However does that mean schools will forfeit games and be withheld from the NCAAT? I can see the NCAA weasel out of this deal.

tax fraud would be public knowledge as they would have to either have plead deal or a trial. Regardless it would come out and if the media does their job would put pressure on the NCAA to inforce its rules.

cram224

I still think a school having a fake class is way worse than a coach that has tax problems. Think how many McAA we could have gotten if we sold them on the chance that, come to our school and you will get A's and not have to go to class.                                                                                                                      No lawyer here but, if the shoe company's claimed the money was normal business expense. The coaches could claim they thought the money was nothing more than reimbursement for expenses when they were promoting the company's shoes. Money going to pay players if proven I wouldn't think is a criminal crime. Just an NCAA violation.

razorback1829

Quote from: cram224 on February 15, 2018, 07:12:20 pm
I still think a school having a fake class is way worse than a coach that has tax problems. Think how many McAA we could have gotten if we sold them on the chance that, come to our school and you will get A's and not have to go to class.                                                                                                                      No lawyer here but, if the shoe company's claimed the money was normal business expense. The coaches could claim they thought the money was nothing more than reimbursement for expenses when they were promoting the company's shoes. Money going to pay players if proven I wouldn't think is a criminal crime. Just an NCAA violation.

Total bs, but at least all the other students took the class.. saved their a$$.

k.c.hawg

A large portion of what the FBI has is not going to result in federal charges. At the same time they busted the Adidas agent and assistant coaches, they raided the offices of a high level agent and seized all of his files. In it, they say there is documentation of years of payments from agents to players and players families which will have made the palyers inelgible. Alledgedly also a lot of wiretaps that have coaches and shoe company officials trying to arrange payments that may have never happened. And in some cases, payments that did happen thus Tricky Rick getting fired at Louisville.

Supposedly the FBI is going to turn these files over to the NCAA to try and get the NCAA to clean up the shoe/aau element in the game.

(notOM)Rebel123

The families that received the payments & didn't report them would be on the hook with the IRS, not the school.

From Tusk Till Dawn

<iframe seamless="seamless" style="width: 100%; border: none; display: block; max-width: 420px; height: 360px;" src="https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/embed/f5c1ae48-aa40-45ec-84c0-ed918e47562a?autoplay=false">; </iframe>

mykidsdad

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on February 15, 2018, 08:17:44 pm
The families that received the payments & didn’t report them would be on the hook with the IRS, not the school.

tax evasion got al capone, I am sure that it can put some of these family members away as well - that or turn in coaches that gave it to them.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: mykidsdad on February 15, 2018, 08:50:08 pm
tax evasion got al capone, I am sure that it can put some of these family members away as well - that or turn in coaches that gave it to them.

Exactly

BroyledNutts

I'd be curious to see if any of the FBI investigation discovery reveals the NCAA itself has been complicit by covering up, slow playing, losing evidence, etc for high profile teams that generate licensure profits for the NCAA ... or if they actually have had evidence for some time of certain high profile programs involved in payments and violations, and have chosen to ignore the evidence to assist said programs in covering up the violations ... putting an outward face to the media of concern and investigation, and inwardly destroying evidence as fast as possible.

Talk about the ultimate "Lack of Institutional Control" ....

twistitup

Didn't it get Gotti too? Tax evasion, racketeering, etc?
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

FineAsSwine

I smell trouble for a certain MState legacy. #Karma
Hogs up! Covid down!

Hawgndaaz

Quote from: BroyledNutts on February 16, 2018, 01:16:53 am
I'd be curious to see if any of the FBI investigation discovery reveals the NCAA itself has been complicit by covering up, slow playing, losing evidence, etc for high profile teams that generate licensure profits for the NCAA ... or if they actually have had evidence for some time of certain high profile programs involved in payments and violations, and have chosen to ignore the evidence to assist said programs in covering up the violations ... putting an outward face to the media of concern and investigation, and inwardly destroying evidence as fast as possible.

Talk about the ultimate "Lack of Institutional Control" ....

The NCAA gets north of 80% of their revenue from March Madness.

Its the sole reason they don't go after the basketball schools.