Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

The Ghost Of Nolan

Started by TexArkHogFan, February 06, 2017, 05:52:57 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexArkHogFan

What we have here is a hall of fame coach that led Arkansas to it's only National Championship who still resides in Fayetteville.  Every one knows the mess that was created when he left.  It is no secret that he loves Mike Anderson and treats him like  family.  He also wanted Mike hired when he left and was really happy when he returned.  So, I wonder how much his feelings will play into whether Mike is retained or not.  Is Jeff Long afraid to incur the wrath of Nolan if he is let go.  Inquiring minds want to know.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

The_Iceman

None. If Mike is let go, it will be because he failed to make the NCAA Tournament five out of six years at Arkansas. A worse percentage than Stan Heath.

Nolan's feelings will have little to do with it. It will be a business decision.

cosmodrum

Frankly, Nolan is smart enough to know Mike isn't getting it done.
Go away, batin'

Breems

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 06, 2017, 06:02:14 pm
None. If Mike is let go, it will be because he failed to make the NCAA Tournament five out of six years at Arkansas. A worse percentage than Stan Heath.

Nolan's feelings will have little to do with it. It will be a business decision.

This.

People act like Arkansas is the only school in the world that has employed a coach with previous ties to the school. It happens all the time, and they are fired if they don't do well. It's business.
Proud member of the "Left Before Halftime" football club.

Quote from: Breems on January 27, 2011, 08:42:29 pm<br />SCREW VANDERBILT<br />

swineology

Nolan has not Jack Shite to do with the firing of Mike

Props to Jeff Long for fixing want Frank, Franked up

hog.goblin

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 06, 2017, 06:02:14 pm

It will take 6 out of 7.  Mike will be here next year regardless of what happens.  But next year it's dance or go home.

Hoggish1

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on February 06, 2017, 05:52:57 pm
What we have here is a hall of fame coach that led Arkansas to it's only National Championship who still resides in Fayetteville.  Every one knows the mess that was created when he left.  It is no secret that he loves Mike Anderson and treats him like  family.  He also wanted Mike hired when he left and was really happy when he returned.  So, I wonder how much his feelings will play into whether Mike is retained or not.  Is Jeff Long afraid to incur the wrath of Nolan if he is let go.  Inquiring minds want to know.

Ha, ha...

Hoggish1

Quote from: TexArkHogFan on February 06, 2017, 05:52:57 pm

Quick fix:  Rehire Nolan and let him have Mike as his top assistant...

PonderinHog

Quote from: hog.goblin on February 06, 2017, 07:05:01 pm
It will take 6 out of 7.  Mike will be here next year regardless of what happens.  But next year it's dance or go home.
Hell, might as well let him get his twenty five year pin.  What's two more years?

hog.goblin

Quote from: PonderinHog on February 06, 2017, 07:44:11 pm
Hell, might as well let him get his twenty five year pin.  What's two more years?

24 months.  It will fly by.  But he'll be in the dance (next year) so he's here through 2019/2020 if you ask me (assuming the recruits come in).

Now, whether he can do something memorable with those years is the big question.

hobhog

Next year is going to be hell....

East Clintwood

Quote from: hobhog on February 06, 2017, 08:05:27 pm
Next year is going to be hell....

And the one after that, and the one after that  .  .  .  .
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

HogCzar1

I agree Mike will be back. But, if he is, then in no way do I see him having to make the NCAA's next year. I would argue that it's even less likely next year that we make it. We will be sitting right where we are now saying that Reggie Perry's class will get us to the tournament.

PonderinHog

Quote from: HogCzar1 on February 06, 2017, 08:57:47 pm
I agree Mike will be back. But, if he is, then in no way do I see him having to make the NCAA's next year. I would argue that it's even less likely next year that we make it. We will be sitting right where we are now saying that Reggie Perry's class will get us to the tournament.
And we'll be right...one of these years...   ;D

TexArkHogFan

It's always a  business decision but sometimes a little monkey business plays into it.  When Nolan wore out his welcome he wanted Mike to be his replacement but Mike was unproven as a head coach and wasn't considered.  However, the powers that be felt they needed to hire a black coach or all hell would break loose, it did anyway, so they hired Heath whose experience as a head coach was, if I remember correctly, Kent State.  We all know how that went.  Next came Pel, who did have some success on his resume.  When he was fired he was totally pissed because he didn't feel he had enough time to turn us around.  No coach, or coach who has close ties to someone, ever feels it is justified when they are let go.  Nolan didn't start making amends and coming back to the games until Mike was hired.

So, I don't think a "business decision" will make it palatable to either Mike or Nolan when and if he is let go.  They can't see the forest for the trees.  I loved Nolan when he was hired and stuck with him early when he went thru the death of his daughter and he proved me right by taking us to the Promised Land.  I really started following Hog basketball when Sutton was hired.  He was a darned good coach but when he took the Kentucky job and said "he would crawl all the way to Kentucky" for that job, I for one said, "start crawling".  But he was still a good coach and took us to places we hadn't been before.

I was against hiring Mike when Nolan left and I had mixed feelings when he was hired.  I know a lot of people at Missouri were glad to see him go because his teams showed the same tendency as they do now, losing games they were not supposed to lose.  He did have some success at Missouri and UAB but nothing that I would call great,  Better than what we had though so I was willing to give him a chance.  But he has proven that he will never ever get us to where we need to be and is not the right man for the job.  You can't convince me there are not good, young up and coaches that would not die for this job.  We just have to convince the right man to come our way.  I wanted Buzz Williams when they hired MA and he ended up going to Va Tech.  No way in hell Va Tech is a better job than Arkansas so something wasn't right when we ended up with Mike.  I don't know, maybe a change needs to be made along with the coaching change.  Long made his mark when he fired Petrino, which needed to be done,  but he got a lot respect for the way he handled it.

The Hog facilities are great but empty seats will make a building decay.  When you can't explain why something is the way it is, maybe there is something going on other than a "business decision" because if it was a business decision, we'd be going bankrupt.
There are all kinds of Lions, Tigers and Bears in college football.  But there is only one Razorback.  Beware the Tusks!!! They are coming

root_hawg

Will b here a lomg time... until he decides to retire

TexArkHogFan

Quote from: root_hawg on February 07, 2017, 06:26:18 am
Will b here a lomg time... until he decides to retire

Would that be a business decision?

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Rock City Razorback on February 06, 2017, 06:20:16 pm
One would hope so. But Long does seem to let emotions affect his decisions.

Emotional? Do you have proof of this? What decisions were made emotionally?
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

GuvHog

Quote from: swineology on February 06, 2017, 06:38:30 pm
Nolan has not Jack Shite to do with the firing of Mike

Props to Jeff Long for fixing want Frank, Franked up

Wha5t the heck did Frank screw up that Jeff Long fixed?? It sure isn't the Football or basketball programs because Jeff Long has screwed them up royally.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!