Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't act like nothing has happened

Started by Biggus Piggus, May 03, 2016, 10:33:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Biggus Piggus

I'm excited to see this upgraded roster play some basketball. I'd watch 'em play pickup games.

The best Arkansas basketball teams in history had loads of basketball skill. This team has accumulated a lot of skilled players. The team is talented and diverse enough that we should enjoy sitting back and letting them play. Give them a chance to surprise us.

I'm pleased that Mike Anderson has shaken up his coaching staff and has stepped up overall recruiting activity. He seems to be really going for "it" now. A strong flow of in-state talent is the bedrock for this move. MA isn't settling for Arkansas-born players alone, but they make a great base for elevating everything.

MA already has done things I did not expect to see. I don't want to go back to the position we were in during late Nolan days. We had a subset of fans who hated Nolan, wanted the Hogs to lose so Nolan could be fired, were disappointed when anything good happened and did everything they could to diminish the significance of good developments.

I guess we fans starting thinking we had something to do with firing coaches back when Nutt was football coach. Banners, T-shirts and darn. Well, let's just sit back and see how this plays out. MA really is fighting to improve the Razorbacks. I can see it, and it took a lot to persuade me. Next season is going to be good, I'm guessing.
[CENSORED]!

010HogFan

We really just need one good year *and an uneventful offseason* to turn things around. That's all it could potentially take. I am optimistic about next season.

Hog Fan from Camden

Great post!  I hope we can get on a roll with the in-state talent coming up.  The only question I have is, Can a developmental coach like MA survive this era of players jumping to the NBA and transferring, not to mention the one and done players?  Some fans will never like or accept MA not matter what, just the way it is. 

The_Iceman

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on May 03, 2016, 10:59:55 am
Great post!  I hope we can get on a roll with the in-state talent coming up.  The only question I have is, Can a developmental coach like MA survive this era of players jumping to the NBA and transferring, not to mention the one and done players?  Some fans will never like or accept MA not matter what, just the way it is. 

That is actually a good question. With the NBA, Europe, D-League, and the Transferring, it is becoming harder to be a development coach.

LA Football fan

I thought the hire was a good one at the time and was hoping that Mike was the answer to returning this program to being nationally recognized again.  I cannot lie that his results have been underwhelming to me up to now but I am not wanting him to fail.  I thought recruiting was his achilles heal up to now but he has seemingly improved his hit rate lately so I give him props for hard work and landing some players that could be difference makers next year.  I have said before that there are some really good instate players coming through the next few years that if Mike can land the majority of them, he would have a chance to make a run of NCAA tourney's and solidify his coaching resume here.   Adding Scotty is a start but I am in wait and see mode like most fans to see if recruiting and on court success will improve or not.  I will say that he has given HIMSELF a chance with the roster that will be on the floor to have a good year next year and remove the heat that has built up for firing him.  Only an SEC title or NCAA title will obviously quiet his most ardent detractors but I believe MOST fans are like me in that they like Mike and want him to succeed because that will mean the program is also succeeding.  I still believe it is make the NCAA tourney next year or he is gone though but I firmly believe he has finally accumulated the talent on the roster that should get him there.  Early season success is really going to be important to build momentum and give the newcomers the confidence they are going to need to compete on the road in the SEC.  I am pulling for him to be successful next year because I think long term stability is very important in landing high level talent here.  Go Hogs and Go Mike!   

rude1

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 03, 2016, 11:08:49 am
That is actually a good question. With the NBA, Europe, D-League, and the Transferring, it is becoming harder to be a development coach.
I believe it can be most certainly done, but the key is you can't whiff on recruiting classes, you have to consistently bring in at least one or two high caliber players every year to be the backbone of the program to create consistency, if not you see what happened last year just by losing a couple of the best players.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: The_Iceman on May 03, 2016, 11:08:49 am

Most of them are. Kermit Davis, for example. He was the youngest D-I head coach when he was promoted at Idaho a long time ago. That was a lucky break, because he had been on the staff of Tim Floyd (in his first head coaching job). Floyd made Idaho competitive, and Davis inherited a good setup.

Davis went 50-12 in two seasons, aTm hired him away. In his first season, Davis got caught paying a talent scout to help recruit a player who was looking to transfer from Syracuse. Pretty minor infraction these days, but back then it was blown up into a big deal, and Davis quit after one season.

Davis's career was on the rocks until he spent a number of years on John Brady's staff at LSU. In 2002, Middle Tennessee gave him a chance to be a head coach again. He was around .500 for his first NINE seasons there. MTSU won 123 games in the past five seasons.

At some schools, they will accept that you're a good coach and leave you alone. Must be nice.
[CENSORED]!

Atlhogfan1

Feels like we are somewhat at a starting point which IMO is a good thing.  These first 5 seasons didn't go in some ways like most of us probably thought whether we went in with doubts or completely bought in.  Some good and some disappointments.   Perhaps it would be good if we did forget much of what has happened and give the staff a somewhat clean slate along with each other.

The developmental coach thing as far as player movement isn't as big of a question for me.  It seems like another fallback explanation to why he may not succeed.  Retention of the right players can certainly be important.  I still think the recruiting question remains.  The aggressiveness perhaps has change which may change the results at some point.  Hopefully the current signees are finally fits as in some with an ability and willingness to play both ends of the court well. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Kevin

he has had a good spring. recruiting seems to be picking up
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

WilsonHog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 11:25:06 am
At some schools, they will accept that you're a good coach and leave you alone. Must be nice.

I miss those days in all sports. A casualty of our social-media dominated society, I suppose.

PharmacistHog

I'm just in "wait and see" mode.  I don't have any expectations one way or the other. 
Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 03, 2016, 12:02:04 pm
I miss those days in all sports. A casualty of our social-media dominated society, I suppose.

Social media just makes it more visible and "louder".  "Some schools", actually most every program, should have different standards and expectations.  If we are suggesting we ignore(or take the wait and see approach as Pharm suggests) the basketball program until something good happens consistently, okay. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 03, 2016, 11:45:43 am
Feels like we are somewhat at a starting point which IMO is a good thing.  These first 5 seasons didn't go in some ways like most of us probably thought whether we went in with doubts or completely bought in.  Some good and some disappointments.   Perhaps it would be good if we did forget much of what has happened and give the staff a somewhat clean slate along with each other.

The developmental coach thing as far as player movement isn't as big of a question for me.  It seems like another fallback explanation to why he may not succeed.  Retention of the right players can certainly be important.  I still think the recruiting question remains.  The aggressiveness perhaps has change which may change the results at some point.  Hopefully the current signees are finally fits as in some with an ability and willingness to play both ends of the court well. 

One thing is for sure, whether the developmental coach thing is an excuse or a valid reason, MA has to win this year or he will have to go.  He also needs to put together more than one year of success on the court and recruiting wise.  I'm rooting for him but he still has to do his job to keep my support.  In the mean time as an Arkansas fan, I will not continuously take shots at any head Razorback coach.  If he succeeds, great, it not time to go.  In 5 years, I have seen things that I like and don't like but I don't know the answer yet!   

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on May 03, 2016, 12:28:40 pm
One thing is for sure, whether the developmental coach thing is an excuse or a valid reason, MA has to win this year or he will have to go.  He also needs to put together more than one year of success on the court and recruiting wise.  I'm rooting for him but he still has to do his job to keep my support.  In the mean time as an Arkansas fan, I will not continuously take shots at any head Razorback coach.  If he succeeds, great, it not time to go.  In 5 years, I have seen things that I like and don't like but I don't know the answer yet!

I didn't want to use the word excuse.  Some of Mike's success has been influenced by transfers in and 2 year JC players including at UAB and Mizzou.  Our team and program in the very short term should be positively affected by both as well.  I think he has done okay in this transient era with less than 4 year players impacting his teams.  He has set up some of his attrition and roster turnover by signing players like Wagner and Jenkins, JC transfers and taking transfers.  Not saying it was good Babb or Whitt left.  Just suggesting with this staff's history of less than 4 year players, the strength of 4 year player development may not should be at the top of the list of questions going forward. 

DeltaBoy

As the Late Al Davis said " Just Win Baby"
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

FaytownHog

LSUFan

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 11:25:06 am
Gone are those days, except at the University of Elephants.
I ain't saying you babysitting, but my kids are all over your couch.

Quote from: JIMMY BOARFFETT on August 17, 2015, 02:46:52 pm
Sometimes, I think you're a wine-o who found a laptop in a dumpster.

Dwight_K_Shrute

I'm excited, but then again I enjoyed watching this team play this past year.  With the exception of a handful or less where they just laid an egg they were in every game, fought their a**es off and in my opinion achieved above where the level of roster talent said they should. 

I was disappointed in the final record but if .500 is your low water mark after a bad year in recruiting and players leaving early that's not too bad.  Other teams totally implode or go in the tank. 

What do you want to see a team do even if they aren't going to make the dance?  Improve over the course of the year and never quit.  I believe they did both.

What do you want to see a coach do when he has made some mistakes such as in recruiting?  Learn from them and then work his a** off to correct them.  It appears MA has done that as well.  Going after very high level Juco talent to bridge the gap due to the dip in recruiting and supplement that will good 4 year players.

He's really set up the program for hopefully an immediate bounce back and then also sustained success as the instate talent pool improves. 

I'm very excited, now just tweet that you are coming back Moses and let's get to work.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on May 03, 2016, 04:20:06 pm
I'm excited, but then again I enjoyed watching this team play this past year.  With the exception of a handful or less where they just laid an egg they were in every game, fought their a**es off and in my opinion achieved above where the level of roster talent said they should. 

I was disappointed in the final record but if .500 is your low water mark after a bad year in recruiting and players leaving early that's not too bad.  Other teams totally implode or go in the tank. 

What do you want to see a team do even if they aren't going to make the dance?  Improve over the course of the year and never quit.  I believe they did both.

What do you want to see a coach do when he has made some mistakes such as in recruiting?  Learn from them and then work his a** off to correct them.  It appears MA has done that as well.  Going after very high level Juco talent to bridge the gap due to the dip in recruiting and supplement that will good 4 year players.

He's really set up the program for hopefully an immediate bounce back and then also sustained success as the instate talent pool improves. 

I'm very excited, now just tweet that you are coming back Moses and let's get to work.

Not wanting to look in hindsight but not sure how they improved end of season.  5-6 from Feb on. 

They may not have quit.  Just limited in what that they could do.

I don't know if it has been mistakes in recruiting but rather the result of ability and effort.

Going after JC talent has been this group's m.o. since they got together.  Barford was a nice accomplishment.  Cook changing from Nevada was good.  Macon is a Hog.  Timing plays a big role in coaches' and programs' success.  The timing this season worked out with Macon to go along with the Barford achievement.

The staff has set this up or the timing and willingness of in state players to come to the program?

chiefhawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 10:33:31 am
I'm excited to see this upgraded roster play some basketball. I'd watch 'em play pickup games.

The best Arkansas basketball teams in history had loads of basketball skill. This team has accumulated a lot of skilled players. The team is talented and diverse enough that we should enjoy sitting back and letting them play. Give them a chance to surprise us.

I'm pleased that Mike Anderson has shaken up his coaching staff and has stepped up overall recruiting activity. He seems to be really going for "it" now. A strong flow of in-state talent is the bedrock for this move. MA isn't settling for Arkansas-born players alone, but they make a great base for elevating everything.

MA already has done things I did not expect to see. I don't want to go back to the position we were in during late Nolan days. We had a subset of fans who hated Nolan, wanted the Hogs to lose so Nolan could be fired, were disappointed when anything good happened and did everything they could to diminish the significance of good developments.

I guess we fans starting thinking we had something to do with firing coaches back when Nutt was football coach. Banners, T-shirts and darn. Well, let's just sit back and see how this plays out. MA really is fighting to improve the Razorbacks. I can see it, and it took a lot to persuade me. Next season is going to be good, I'm guessing.
Some of your best work. Thanks

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on May 03, 2016, 12:06:07 pm
Social media just makes it more visible and "louder".  "Some schools", actually most every program, should have different standards and expectations.  If we are suggesting we ignore(or take the wait and see approach as Pharm suggests) the basketball program until something good happens consistently, okay. 

The money at stake is SO much greater, it's natural that fans/boosters are less patient.
[CENSORED]!

JenksHawg

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 10:33:31 am

did I miss something? 
And when did he start signing top notch in state talent?

hamARchy in the USA

Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me 6 straight years, shame on me.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 03, 2016, 07:44:04 pm
Fool me once, shame on you.  Fool me 6 straight years, shame on me.

MA's been here 5 seasons

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 03, 2016, 07:47:54 pm
MA's been here 5 seasons

This thread is about what's going to happen from here.

HogBreath

Now you fellars just need to settle down a little and give Coach Anderson a chance to get his players in here..I know its been a long five years, but it sounds like he's seen the light and ready to get serious about this basketball stuff.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 03, 2016, 07:56:23 pm
This thread is about what's going to happen from here.

Yet, your post spoke of the unforeseen.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 06:37:49 pm
The money at stake is SO much greater, it's natural that fans/boosters are less patient.

Agreed especially when it is added to the emotional piece. 

ArkansasI

Hard to argue against a little optimism. It's refreshing. The pessimist in me wonders if all the guys we're looking forward to watching are going to be eligible.

I don't have a problem with Mike's coaching. In fact, his players seem to care about him and play hard.

My criticism is his apparent inability to build a program with high end talent. Mike doesn't recruit against major programs. He has a nice looking class coming in. I hope that becomes the rule, rather than the exception.

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 03, 2016, 08:18:18 pm
Yet, your post spoke of the unforeseen.

I foresaw the future 5 years ago.  I foresee it now.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 03, 2016, 08:29:24 pm
I foresaw the future 5 years ago.  I foresee it now.

Even a Moses and Aaron Ross can't change what you have foreseen?

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on May 03, 2016, 08:37:47 pm
Even a Moses and Aaron Ross can't change what you have foreseen?

The #1 issue with the Razorback program isn't with the players.  It's with the head coach.  The program will continue to underachieve until a change is made at the top. 

Swinesong1

Thank god for the baseball team!  They are helping us get over the dreadful basketball season.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: hamARchy in the USA on May 03, 2016, 08:50:27 pm
The #1 issue with the Razorback program isn't with the players.  It's with the head coach.  The program will continue to underachieve until a change is made at the top. 

Let's correct this statement. More like: The program will continue to win at a rate that is not as good as some yahoos want it to be. Eventually, a change will be made at the top, and the same thing will happen again.
[CENSORED]!

hamARchy in the USA

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 09:06:17 pm
Let's correct this statement. More like: The program will continue to win at a rate that is not as good as some yahoos want it to be. Eventually, a change will be made at the top, and the same thing will happen again.

The program is as poor as it is because some yahoos are allowing it.

wavybone

I think this team's floor will be the NCAA tournament. Their ceiling could be the Elite Eight.

SuperSid4Ever

Quote from: wavybone on May 03, 2016, 11:26:46 pm
I think this team's floor will be the NCAA tournament. Their ceiling could be the Elite Eight.

I prefer this kind of optimism.  WPS!!! :razorback:

HoopS

We won 27 games and the roster was set up to have another very good season but for two NBA declarations. Of course there was a down season due to that. And we've quickly reloaded and we will see how well we blend this group together. NCAAT is the expectation. I believe we do that and we see our program become what we hoped it would. Or he will be gone. Simple as that.

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: HoopS on May 04, 2016, 07:19:41 am
We won 27 games and the roster was set up to have another very good season but for two NBA declarations. Of course there was a down season due to that. And we've quickly reloaded and we will see how well we blend this group together. NCAAT is the expectation. I believe we do that and we see our program become what we hoped it would. Or he will be gone. Simple as that.
If Qualls had stayed and Williams remained on the team, we would have more than likely made the NCAAT this year.  Not an excuse just what happened.  We need to win now, no more ifs or close calls or played good, we need to win.

The Hogfather

If we keep Moses and add Ross, I will be shooting for the stars.  I think we'll have a very good team.  A very good mix of talented upperclassmen (Kingsley/Hannahs/Ross), strong supporting vets (Thompson/Watkins/Beard/Thomas), very talented JUCO players (Barford/Macon/Cook), some young, talented guys who should be able to help us right away (Bailey/Hazen/Jones?) and some young, talented guys who will be able to sit and develop if needed/can help right away if they develop more rapidly than expected (Bailey/Hazen/Jones?).

Scott7703

I agree that steps have been taken to move in the right direction but the weakest link is still on staff. Talent has definitely been upgraded though and if Kingsley returns we should have a really solid group. If Thompson continues to develop look out.

hogman99

Quote from: Scott7703 on May 04, 2016, 11:03:49 am
I agree that steps have been taken to move in the right direction but the weakest link is still on staff. Talent has definitely been upgraded though and if Kingsley returns we should have a really solid group. If Thompson continues to develop look out.

All good points. It is time now to see if the staff can actually coach them.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on May 03, 2016, 09:06:17 pm

So we should be happy with Mike taking them to 1 NCAAT in 5 seasons? Are those who think it should have been 2 or 3 just asking too much?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Hog Fan from Camden

Quote from: hogsanity on May 04, 2016, 11:34:36 am
So we should be happy with Mike taking them to 1 NCAAT in 5 seasons? Are those who think it should have been 2 or 3 just asking too much?
I'm a MA supporter (to a point) and I want to see at least 3 NCAAT in the next 5 years starting with next year.  That's not to much to ask for, I don't think!

yocdaddy

We didn't sign any of the top 7 in state kids this year....I guess they are referring to a couple commits down the road.

I'm not ready to start printing championship shirts just yet.  JUCO guys don't translate early...I see a year of ups and downs ahead.  I guess the standard of excellence should be 1 tournament in 6 years. 

I'll pass on the excitement
"More people would learn from their mistakes, if they weren't so busy denying them."  --Harold J. Smith

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Hog Fan from Camden on May 04, 2016, 11:57:03 am
I'm a MA supporter (to a point) and I want to see at least 3 NCAAT in the next 5 years starting with next year.  That's not to much to ask for, I don't think!

Five for five is doable. It is possible but although not probable. but since we are wishing, might as well go all in haha.

WilsonHog

"Happy?"

No, you shouldn't be happy. I'm not happy; I don't know anyone who is. I do, however, know many fans who are not "happy," but who can take an objective, measured, position on the subject.

hogsanity

Quote from: WilsonHog on May 04, 2016, 01:43:58 pm
"Happy?"

No, you shouldn't be happy. I'm not happy; I don't know anyone who is. I do, however, know many fans who are not "happy," but who can take an objective, measured, position on the subject.

I was referring to biggus little line about "The program will continue to win at a rate that is not as good as some yahoos want it to be."

So, does thinking they should have been to 2 or 3 NCAAT the last 5 years make someone a yahoo?   I do not think it should have been 5 or even 4, but it should have been at least 2 and probably 3. Seems reasonable to me.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Biggus Piggus

Once you have mulled the same question over again in your head for the 1,000th time, I expect you to base your opinion on forward-looking expectations. And yours will be hopeless, and who knows - you might be right. But I see changes happening and like it.
[CENSORED]!

Nipsey Mussle

Hogsanity on Hog basketball: Here let me take an overview of only the negatives and pretend there's no specifics that exist in this entire world.

Hogsanity on Hog football: Here let me look at all the specific reasons for things happening in the world and only look at the positive.