Feb. 13 - at Ole Miss - L
Feb. 17 - Auburn - W
Feb. 20 - Missouri - W
Feb. 23 - LSU - L
Feb. 27 - at Tennessee - W
March 2 - at Alabama - L
March 5 - South Carolina - W

Without him, I see 18-13 (7-11).

If they have 20 wins going into Nashville, depending on their RPI, they MIGHT be on the bubble. If they could go 2-1 in Nashville, 22-12 MIGHT get them into the tourney in one of the play-in games in Dayton, where they will have already played that year.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

WarPig88

Quote from: hogsanity on August 24, 2015, 03:06:48 pm
The thing is you refuse to even acknowledge the problems the team is facing, and you act like those problems should be expected for a 5th year coach coming off the best season in 2 decades. And then you act like anyone that does see those problems has some personal ax to grind to the coach.

I do see the same problems. I am just not going all chicken little about them.

I know this is hard for you, but if Hannahs can score and Whitt can score, this team will be better than folks like you expect. Right now, it appears that Beard is going to make it back. If that is the case, then we will have a deeper rotation at the guard spots than we have had in MA's entire time here.

Guard play is what makes MA's system go by the way. So your doom and gloom garbage is not the given you think it is.

HoopS

I will tell you what I didn't expect in his 4th year. For 2 players to feel they've been developed so well that they'd declare for the NBA. I do wish we would have known about it earlier but that's just how these things play out. The players themselves didn't even know for sure so it was impossible for anyone without superhuman powers to see the future.

If Beard indeed plays, then I can see 18-23 wins by the end. But I'm not willing to beat on that. I am willing to say we will not be below .500. Bookmark it and rub my face in it if in wrong.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on August 25, 2015, 03:00:35 pm
I will tell you what I didn't expect in his 4th year. For 2 players to feel they've been developed so well that they'd declare for the NBA. I do wish we would have known about it earlier but that's just how these things play out. The players themselves didn't even know for sure so it was impossible for anyone without superhuman powers to see the future.

I get that they were telling the coaches that. But I think anyone of reasonable intelligence can understand that it's the head coach of Power 5 program's job to know better than to take a potential lottery pick at his word that he's coming back until the early entry deadline has come and gone without that player entering the draft. We see what happens when you take these kids at their words. You get burned when the money becomes real and the emotion of the season wears off. You just have to be smarter and more prepared that. Plenty of JUCO kids they could have been on after the early period ended. The playing time created by Portis and Qualls should have been an easy sale. Tired of hearing this kind of excuse-making for the staff. Pure naivete, IMO. How many kids in Portis' shoes end up coming back? Very few. There maybe two for this 2015 draft (Kris Dunn and Jakob Poelt). Year before, there was one (WCS).

Also, you didn't expect that Portis would go pro early?? Are you kidding me? It was pretty much the majority opinion that his sophomore year would likely be his last the second he chose to come back after his freshman season.

HoopS

August 25, 2015, 03:37:18 pm #54 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:15:06 pm by HoopS
I've  read your takes for months now. Still disagree. No biggie.

But I didn't say I didn't expect Portis to go. I said I didn't in Mike's 4th year expect to have 2 players go pro. You somehow cherry picked out of that that I didn't expect Portis to leave early.

Doesn't matter. We don't agree on how things have transpired and I'm good with that.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: -Blu on August 19, 2015, 10:14:08 pm
Also FWIW, a guy on a pay board that claims to be in the know says he's hearing Beard will be back, but suspended a few games.  Don't know how credible that guy is or not.

Hopefully Beard will get a second chance. Maybe this guy has a credible source.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HoopS

August 25, 2015, 03:39:43 pm #56 Last Edit: August 25, 2015, 04:13:42 pm by HoopS
 :razorback:

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on August 25, 2015, 03:37:18 pm
I've  read your takes for months now. Still disagree. No biggie.

But I didn't say I didn't expect Portis to go. I said I didn't in Mike's 4th year expect to have 2 players go pro. You somehow cherry picked out of that that I didn't expect Portis to leave early.

Doesn't matter. We don't agree on how things have transpired and I'm good with that.

Didn't expect it as far back as when? Because we already a 5-star guard in B.J. Young signed when he was fired and guys like Archie Goodwin, Bobby Portis, and Kevaughn Allen coming up the pipeline as highly, highly rated in-state guys that you'd figure the Hogs would have a shot at. There were some fans that thought Madden and/or Mickelson might go pro early at the time Mike was hired. The probability was fair from the start. No one saw Qualls developing like he did, but there was more than enough to suggest this could happen. It could happen again soon, too, when you start talking about Malik Monk, Jimmy Whitt and Daniel Gafford. Maybe even Ted Kapita in that mix. It's a good thing, though. You want that. But you have to be better-prepared than the staff was this time.

HoopS

I did not expect us to have 2 players declare early the same year. I expected Portis to. But A couple years ago if you said Portis and ____ would declare early, I would not have guessed Qualls. He is a product of good development and high level potential.

hogsanity

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 04:35:38 pm
.  It's a good thing, though. You want that. But you have to be better-prepared than the staff was this time.

It is a good thing IF you can keep replacing them with similar players. That is true anywhere, not just at Arkansas.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

HoopS

I want to ask you something now.

What's your goal here in Jump Ball?

WarPig88

Didn't expect it as far back as when? Because we already a 5-star guard in B.J. Young signed when he was fired and guys like Archie Goodwin, Bobby Portis, and Kevaughn Allen coming up the pipeline as highly, highly rated in-state guys that you'd figure the Hogs would have a shot at. There were some fans that thought Madden and/or Mickelson might go pro early at the time Mike was hired. The probability was fair from the start. No one saw Qualls developing like he did, but there was more than enough to suggest this could happen. It could happen again soon, too, when you start talking about Malik Monk, Jimmy Whitt and Daniel Gafford. Maybe even Ted Kapita in that mix. It's a good thing, though. You want that. But you have to be better-prepared than the staff was this time.

The thing that none of the people who hold your point of view ever want to talk about is what 2 guys were you going to cut if those 2 don't go? Which by the way, they were telling the coaches they weren't going to do.

So who were you going to renege on? A new recruit? A member of the team?

Who?

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 25, 2015, 05:34:50 pm
The thing that none of the people who hold your point of view ever want to talk about is what 2 guys were you going to cut if those 2 don't go? Which by the way, they were telling the coaches they weren't going to do.

So who were you going to renege on? A new recruit? A member of the team?

Who?

The situation would have taken care of itself organically. Look around college basketball today. Hundreds of transfers every year because kids get unhappy and pack up and leave. Some rash, some deserved. We saw it with Babb. He left despite the fact that Qualls went pro (I realize his transfer was announced prior but let's read between the lines a little here). So there's one down. Do you really think Keaton Miles, who's already graduated and hasn't played any meaningful basketball in 2 years, wants to stick around and ride the pine again? I wouldn't think so. He's already graduated. That one's easy. There's just no spot for him. You'd be doing that kid a disservice by entertaining the thought of him being on the team if Portis and Qualls both come back. There would be no hurt feelings in that situation. Happens all the time.

But that whole scenario is only if you over-sign in the early period, which I do think is fine if you have a player very likely to go pro. But let's say they don't over-sign and they just continue to recruit kids who are unsigned after the early period. You just explain to those kids that you thought you'd have a spot open up but an NBA player decided to defy logic and come back to school. These kids know how it is, especially the ones who are still unsigned late. They're likely to be recruited by multiple schools in that same situation of needing a guy to come in if they lose a pro player or they feel strongly they'll have a transfer. It isn't all that complicated. It all comes back to preparedness and the ability to recruit effectively on a consistent basis.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 06:32:22 pm
The situation would have taken care of itself organically. Look around college basketball today. Hundreds of transfers every year because kids get unhappy and pack up and leave. Some rash, some deserved. We saw it with Babb. He left despite the fact that Qualls went pro (I realize his transfer was announced prior but let's read between the lines a little here). So there's one down. Do you really think Keaton Miles, who's already graduated and hasn't played any meaningful basketball in 2 years, wants to stick around and ride the pine again? I wouldn't think so. He's already graduated. That one's easy. There's just no spot for him. You'd be doing that kid a disservice by entertaining the thought of him being on the team if Portis and Qualls both come back. There would be no hurt feelings in that situation. Happens all the time.

But that whole scenario is only if you over-sign in the early period, which I do think is fine if you have a player very likely to go pro. But let's say they don't over-sign and they just continue to recruit kids who are unsigned after the early period. You just explain to those kids that you thought you'd have a spot open up but an NBA player decided to defy logic and come back to school. These kids know how it is, especially the ones who are still unsigned late. They're likely to be recruited by multiple schools in that same situation of needing a guy to come in if they lose a pro player or they feel strongly they'll have a transfer. It isn't all that complicated. It all comes back to preparedness and the ability to recruit effectively on a consistent basis.

No it wouldn't. If organically means that the coaches have to invite people to leave, then you are right. But we only had one "organic" spot open up and it was filled. Truth is, we had 3 guys leave and brought in 2 more. One with only a year to play which really was a good deal given there wasn't more than a couple of guys we had a shot at there were worth investing 4 years in late. The other looks like a kid that would have had some good offers after a year of prep school. So I really don't get all the Chicken Little stuff or the coach was negligent stuff. Obviously they put in some amount of work.

Now, you mentioned the early period. Facts about the late period. None of the top players in the country are going to wait for something to "open up" at the U of A. Never have. This isn't Kentucky, Carolina, Duke, Kansas, Arizona, etc.

So that is a BAD plan if that's what the plan needed to be.

If you are really objective about it, there really isn't much more that could have been done. There weren't a lot of kids left in the spring that were in play.

Hawg Red

There were plenty of quality players available in the spring, both of the rep and grad ranks. Fact. We went after some of them.

There is no "chicken little" in anything I've said, but it's 2015. If you have a kid that you know is a likely first rounder, you recruit to replace him or that spot on the roster. If, in the unlikely even he decides to stay, the situation will work itself out. Maybe you have to find a kid a good landing spot (Anderson's done here before). It happens. It's a two-way street here. Kids can up and decide to transfer or go pro, and sometimes, but less often than the amount of instances where kids decide to leave, the program has to find a situation that works best for both parties. Sometimes that involves the kid going somewhere that he can play. I don't see a problem with that if it's done the right way. We don't live in a perfect world. If we did, situations like this would never happen.

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 07:13:43 pm
There were plenty of quality players available in the spring, both of the rep and grad ranks. Fact. We went after some of them.

There is no "chicken little" in anything I've said, but it's 2015. If you have a kid that you know is a likely first rounder, you recruit to replace him or that spot on the roster. If, in the unlikely even he decides to stay, the situation will work itself out. Maybe you have to find a kid a good landing spot (Anderson's done here before). It happens. It's a two-way street here. Kids can up and decide to transfer or go pro, and sometimes, but less often than the amount of instances where kids decide to leave, the program has to find a situation that works best for both parties. Sometimes that involves the kid going somewhere that he can play. I don't see a problem with that if it's done the right way. We don't live in a perfect world. If we did, situations like this would never happen.

Very naive approach to recruiting. Talent is more concentrated than ever before due to prep schools and the significance of summer ball.

Your "approach" would make quite a few enemies in a short manner of time. If we get to where we want to go and have teams with multiple guys of potential pro players, then your approach will burn bridges so fast you can forget about recruiting those kids friends and getting the support of their coaches.

I don't see ANYONE in college basketball using your approach quite frankly.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 25, 2015, 07:40:46 pm
Very naive approach to recruiting. Talent is more concentrated than ever before due to prep schools and the significance of summer ball.

Your "approach" would make quite a few enemies in a short manner of time. If we get to where we want to go and have teams with multiple guys of potential pro players, then your approach will burn bridges so fast you can forget about recruiting those kids friends and getting the support of their coaches.

I don't see ANYONE in college basketball using your approach quite frankly.

I'm the one who is naive? Brother, I pulled back the curtain on you and you can't accept it. College basketball doesn't get to over 700 transfers in a single season by just players deciding to transfer. That's why I said it has to be done the right way, and Anderson has done that before. He did it with Dee Wagner. I'm sure he's done it with others before. I don't think it made him any enemies. He's also over-signed before (2013). If you're not seeing what I'm talking about, you just plain aren't looking.

But you're also not really listening to what I'm saying. How many times is the hot shot NBA prospect really going to come back to school? Not often. You have to play those odds. Only then do you need to find a landing spot for someone what can't keep up if the star player decides to come back. And if you don't want to be put in that position, cast a wide net early and I guarantee you'll have guys that you're recruiting that are available late. I'm sorry, but the Arkansas Razorback would hardly be the only program to offer a scholarship when they don't technically have a spot open and they wouldn't be the only school to have to find a place for an end-of-the-bench player land if they really needed the spot (which won't happen very often like you're trying act like I'm saying). People want to live in this little fantasy world this stuff doesn't happen, but it absolutely happens. And if you do it the right way and do right by a player, it will not come back to haunt you.

TheRazorback500

Back on point, If Beard comes back, I think we could win 18-20 if we can develop good team chemistry and an offensive rhythm that takes advantage of our one real strength-some good shooters and playmakers. Whitt, Beard, Bell, and Hannahs on the floor together along with Moses would seem to be a pretty good offensive lineup.
Without Beard, 15 or 16 may be it. I'm usually an optimistic fellow, but we're going to be severely shorthanded without him. I only hope Thompson, Kouassi, and/or Doobie can step up and help us. 

:razorback:

Do you wanna get Rocked?

WarPig88

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 08:16:41 pm
I'm the one who is naive? Brother, I pulled back the curtain on you and you can't accept it. College basketball doesn't get to over 700 transfers in a single season by just players deciding to transfer. That's why I said it has to be done the right way, and Anderson has done that before. He did it with Dee Wagner. I'm sure he's done it with others before. I don't think it made him any enemies. He's also over-signed before (2013). If you're not seeing what I'm talking about, you just plain aren't looking.

But you're also not really listening to what I'm saying. How many times is the hot shot NBA prospect really going to come back to school? Not often. You have to play those odds. Only then do you need to find a landing spot for someone what can't keep up if the star player decides to come back. And if you don't want to be put in that position, cast a wide net early and I guarantee you'll have guys that you're recruiting that are available late. I'm sorry, but the Arkansas Razorback would hardly be the only program to offer a scholarship when they don't technically have a spot open and they wouldn't be the only school to have to find a place for an end-of-the-bench player land if they really needed the spot (which won't happen very often like you're trying act like I'm saying). People want to live in this little fantasy world this stuff doesn't happen, but it absolutely happens. And if you do it the right way and do right by a player, it will not come back to haunt you.

You aren't even talking about 2 transfers per team. You think that is a significant number? There are over 300 schools many of which change staffs, get in trouble, etc and lose multiple players as a result to contribute to those numbers. Not to mention kids that flunk out or are disciplinary problems.

The notion that you oversign to anticipate previously unknown departures is beyond fantastical. You've only exposed your own pig headedness on the subject.

So you would have over signed at OSU when Smart stayed? He was a lottery pick!

Point is, it happens and you just have to be wrong once to make a ton of enemies. How many enemies did MA make?

You are a static thinker. Life is dynamic.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 25, 2015, 08:16:41 pm

+1 this is the exact scenario we should have been operating under, and if everybody returned plus our 3rd commitment, Mr. miles let me find a school that fits you. There would have been 0 fallout now or in the future. This is what I posted in Feb. When I said Qualls and BP were gone.

Hawg Red

Quote from: WarPig88 on August 25, 2015, 09:15:42 pm
You aren't even talking about 2 transfers per team. You think that is a significant number? There are over 300 schools many of which change staffs, get in trouble, etc and lose multiple players as a result to contribute to those numbers. Not to mention kids that flunk out or are disciplinary problems.

The notion that you oversign to anticipate previously unknown departures is beyond fantastical. You've only exposed your own pig headedness on the subject.

So you would have over signed at OSU when Smart stayed? He was a lottery pick!

Point is, it happens and you just have to be wrong once to make a ton of enemies. How many enemies did MA make?

You are a static thinker. Life is dynamic.

I'm saying you over-sign when there is a VERY good chance you are going to lose someone. Portis falls into that category. Unless, of course, you have a ton of scholarships available. We won't be in this position with Monk (if we get him) because it's already going to be at least a 6-man class (if Anderson can fill every spot). Anderson did this in 2013 by signing Portis and Kingsley when we only had one open spot, but everyone knew Powell and Young were likely to go pro despite neither officially making that proclamation until the season was over. Not every class and situation is the same. There is no blanket rule.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on August 25, 2015, 04:55:39 pm
I want to ask you something now.

What's your goal here in Jump Ball?

To post my opinion. What other goal should there be on a message board?

People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

TomBigBeeHog

Full bball schedule released. Football kicks off next week. Bball practice starts in couple of months. Summer heat is winding down. Last tomatoes gathered from garden.

Man, what a blessing to be from Arkansas.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

HoopS

Quote from: hogsanity on August 26, 2015, 08:26:10 am
To post my opinion. What other goal should there be on a message board?

I just notice a few folks repeating opinions daily. I know you didn't post for a while. I was actually asking Hawg Red. I just wonder about the motivation. It just blows me away that I saw these same posts months ago and now again today. Almost verbatim.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on August 26, 2015, 09:12:11 am
I just notice a few folks repeating opinions daily. I know you didn't post for a while. I was actually asking Hawg Red. I just wonder about the motivation. It just blows me away that I saw these same posts months ago and now again today. Almost verbatim.

Same thing as the people I'm arguing with, who are also posting the same things they did months ago (you have no problem with that, though). Just voicing my opinion, like hogsanity said. You just don't like what I'm posting and are having a tough time dealing with it.

But let's not act like this is something I'm repeating over and over again every day. I've talked about it yesterday and today. Before that, it's been a while. And I didn't even it bring it up in this thread. We'll gloss over those facts, though.

HoopS

Easy now. I didn't say any of that.

Those who repeat the same on the other side I ask the same. But you and I were in a conversation; hence why I asked you.

I've watched you and -Blu go back and forth for a long time. Perhaps you've taken some time off but I know I did too and when I finally read again, guess what? Same song. Same singers. And nobody has budged an inch.

On either side. So I asked the question.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on August 26, 2015, 09:29:29 am
Easy now. I didn't say any of that.

Those who repeat the same on the other side I ask the same. But you and I were in a conversation; hence why I asked you.

I've watched you and -Blu go back and forth for a long time. Perhaps you've taken some time off but I know I did too and when I finally read again, guess what? Same song. Same singers. And nobody has budged an inch.

On either side. So I asked the question.

What else, is there to post about? Practice is still almost 2 months away. Beard is in limbo. We know how much of the production from last year left. We know what we have seen out of Durham, Bell, Watkins and Kingsley. There are unkowns in the new comers. Some of us think this season will be pretty poor, and we feel that really should not happen in a coach's 5th year. Others think a down year is acceptable, and that Mike really is not accountable for much of what has gone on ( I agree the whole beard incident is not on him at all ).

HoopS

I think we can look at how the roster can be used and things we'd like to see in development. Now we have a schedule to look at. I know we've talked about it.

But look, I don't care what you guys talk about. I just know that what's done is done and no amount of rehashing the chain of events will make a difference. There are differences of opinions and both sides makes good points. For the 1,000th time. I'm just curious if there's an end point. It would be nice to see things shift to the future. Nobody here is changing their stance.

But message boards are indeed for discussion and I support that. Just wish the discussion would eventually shift to more future and that's why I posted in this thread.

To each his own though. Was just curious.

hogsanity

Quote from: HoopS on August 26, 2015, 10:55:42 am
I think we can look at  the roster can be used and things we'd like to see in development. Now we have a schedule to look at. I know we've talked about it.

But look, I don't care what you guys talk about. I just know that what's done is done and no amount of rehashing the chain of events will make a difference. There are differences of opinions and both sides makes good points. For the 1,000th time. I'm just curious if there's an end point. It would be nice to see things shift to the future. Nobody here is changing their stance.

But message boards are indeed for discussion and I support that. Just wish the discussion would eventually shift to more future and that's why I posted in this thread.

The future, if I could see that I would have won the power ball by now, and likely not be posting here. Same thing about posting though, what is in the future to talk about? Some of us see what looks like a very down year, especially coming off 27 wins. I can look at the schedule and convince myself that if everything goes just right they have a LEGITIMATE shot at 21 wins. I said last week that if they win 22+ Mike should get COTY. The future includes counting on a Tr Fr in Whitt, a transfer that has not played in a game in almost 18 months, and a collection of guys who if you combine their scoring average from last year still does not reach 10ppg, to try to win games in a fairly tough ooc schedule, and in what should be a very improved SEC.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HoopS on August 26, 2015, 10:55:42 am
I think we can look at how the roster can be used and things we'd like to see in development. Now we have a schedule to look at. I know we've talked about it.

I post mostly about prospective recruits on Hogville. Can't get any more future than that. I'm very invested, as a fan, in the future of the Arkansas Razorbacks. I'll talk about games on the schedule when the season gets here. I've given plenty of posts/thoughts/opinions on current player development this offseason.

HoopS

Quote from: Hawg Red on August 26, 2015, 11:24:07 am
I post mostly about prospective recruits on Hogville. Can't get any more future than that. I'm very invested, as a fan, in the future of the Arkansas Razorbacks. I'll talk about games on the schedule when the season gets here. I've given plenty of posts/thoughts/opinions on current player development this offseason.
I know you have.

I won't bug you guys.  Carry on

j-mann

Quote from: MikePiazza on August 24, 2015, 03:56:24 pm
Nov. 13 - Southern - W
Nov. 18 - Akron - W
Nov. 20 - Charleston Southern - W
Nov. 26 - Georgia Tech (New York) - W
Nov. 27 - Stanford OR Villanova (New York) - L
Dec. 1 - Northwestern (La.) State - W
Dec. 4 - at Wake Forest - W
Dec. 8 - Evansville - W
Dec. 12 - Tennessee Tech - W
Dec. 19 - Mercer (North Little Rock) - W
Dec. 22 - North Florida - W
Dec. 30 - at Dayton - L
Jan. 2 - at Texas A&M - L
Jan. 5 - Vanderbilt - W
Jan. 9 - Mississippi State - W
Jan. 12 - at Missouri - W
Jan. 16 - at LSU - L
Jan. 21 - Kentucky - L
Jan. 23 - at Georgia - L
Jan. 27 - Texas A&M - W
Jan. 30 - Texas Tech - W
Feb. 3 - at Florida - L
Feb. 6 - Tennessee - W
Feb. 9 - at Mississippi State - L
Feb. 13 - at Ole Miss - L
Feb. 17 - Auburn - W
Feb. 20 - Missouri - W
Feb. 23 - LSU - L
Feb. 27 - at Tennessee - W
March 2 - at Alabama - L
March 5 - South Carolina - W

Without him, I see 18-13 (7-11).

If they have 20 wins going into Nashville, depending on their RPI, they MIGHT be on the bubble. If they could go 2-1 in Nashville, 22-12 MIGHT get them into the tourney in one of the play-in games in Dayton, where they will have already played that year.

i will see how the other SEC teams stack up  when the preseason mags come out at the end of the month

Right Now between 15-19 wins  i just dk  if they can win away from home   the good thing is that most years the SEC is sub par in basketball     

we need to peak in the conf tourney   
http://www.blueribbonyearbookonline.com/
and BTW  the best preseason Mag to get is
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

RazorPiggie

Quote from: j-mann on September 02, 2015, 10:30:49 pm
i will see how the other SEC teams stack up  when the preseason mags come out at the end of the month

Right Now between 15-19 wins  i just dk  if they can win away from home   the good thing is that most years the SEC is sub par in basketball     

we need to peak in the conf tourney   
http://www.blueribbonyearbookonline.com/
and BTW  the best preseason Mag to get is

The conference as a whole is starting to get much better players. Just look at the recruits that are coming in next year. 7 of the top 25 (24/7 composite rankings) signed with SEC teams last year and no not all were with UK. 6 of our 14 teams ended up having a top 25 class.

I expect next year to be much tougher than previous years just because the conference is getting better players than in years past. I know that's not a popular thing around these parts to say the team will struggle but it's just my opinion.

Hawg Red

The SEC is going to be really good in the near future. But, for right now, it's still in a period of transition with so many new coaches. As down as things look for the Hogs right now (and things do look rough), we should still be able to compete against schools like Alabama, Tennessee, Florida, Missouri, and South Carolina. And I don't think Georgia will be too strong next season, either. It's also conceivable that Auburn and Mississippi State could underperform as well.

What's really going to hurt the Hogs is if they can't win on the road again. We were a decent road team dating back to conference play 2014. Can that hold up without Portis, Qualls, Madden, and Beard? The key to 20 or more wins is in our road performance and the development of Kingsley and Thompson in the frontcourt. Our guards should be solid.

azhog10

There were some fans that thought Madden and/or Mickelson might go pro early at the time Mike was hired. The probability was fair from the start.
No, Madden, himself, had some notion he would leave after two years to either the NBA or Europe. Mickelson's parents thought he would go pro. No one with any basketball knowledge after watching him play college basketball for 2 minutes would have thought he was going anywhere.

I'll be happy with 16 wins. Not sure we get there. I expect there to be some changes, not sure how, in the coaching staff if we do not get to at least an NIT game and we can't get Malik in the early signing period.

hogsanity

Quote from: azhog10 on September 03, 2015, 11:40:55 am
No, Madden, himself, had some notion he would leave after two years to either the NBA or Europe. Mickelson's parents thought he would go pro. No one with any basketball knowledge after watching him play college basketball for 2 minutes would have thought he was going anywhere.

Coach Ron Crawford thought that whole class was going pro.

Hawg Red

Well, this board is filled people with no basketball knowledge. It's just true.

A lot of people heard Ron Crawford say stuff like this and took it to heart.

azhog10

Quote from: hogsanity on September 03, 2015, 11:41:57 am
Coach Ron Crawford thought that whole class was going pro.
If he said that publicly I'd love to see it. I think if he did he wasn't being honest with himself. I would hope he's a bit smarter than that.

Hawg Red

I'll be happy with 16 wins. Not sure we get there. I expect there to be some changes, not sure how, in the coaching staff if we do not get to at least an NIT game and we can't get Malik in the early signing period.

I'd hate that it might have to come to that for a change like that to be made.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2015, 11:43:02 am
Well, this board is filled people with no basketball knowledge. It's just true.

A lot of people heard Ron Crawford say stuff like this and took it to heart.
Would love to see where he said those guys were going pro after one year.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 03, 2015, 11:44:02 am
Would love to see where he said those guys were going pro after one year.

No one said after one year, but I heard him, on the radio, with my own ears, say that Hunter Mickelson would be an early entrant in the NBA draft.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2015, 11:43:56 am
It's a business and results matter. CMA has a long leash and the most important thing he was tasked to do in the first four years was to put a competitive team together but get us out of our APR hole. I think Long was okay with the slow climb assuming we didn't take a big step back. If this becomes a big step back, then I expect there to be some conversations about changes. CMA is a loyal guy, but as we've seen from football Long is willing to open the pocket book up for assistants if the need is there. He may decide the time has come to do just that.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 03, 2015, 11:43:56 am
It seemd the conversation was revolved around guys leaving one or two years early. Again, I recall Madden saying through other people that he was only here for two years, that proved to be false, and i'm not sure in what world someone would think Hunter was ready for the NBA after one or two, or three years let alone four.

HawgAdvocate

Bumping this for pre-conference season reflection.

Based on a quick run through, no one who gave their game-by-game schedule predictions had us winning less than nine non-conference games.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on August 20, 2015, 02:30:54 pm
I only see 12-13 wins I feel decent about. Quite a few games in the nebulous middle. Still way premature to know what this team might be able to do.

At this point, doesn't look like Arkansas will win much more than 12-13.
[CENSORED]!

hobhog

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 03, 2016, 07:01:20 pm
At this point, doesn't look like Arkansas will win much more than 12-13.

That would require 6-7 more wins this year......I will take that at this point.

hobhog

Quote from: hobhog on August 19, 2015, 10:04:30 pm
16 wins would be my guess. Good schedule but need some suprises out of somebody on roster as depleted as we are if expect anything more.

I thought I was being pessimistic when I posted this......