Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Portis did not say he was coming back

Started by JonClaudeVanHam, March 22, 2015, 09:40:25 am

Previous topic - Next topic

colbs

Quote from: TheOtherColombia on March 22, 2015, 10:56:00 am
Go ahead and call me a hater or butt hurt Missouri fan or whatever else you want to call me, but BP needs to go the NBA.  MA, I think we all agree, is a system coach and the system isn't geared toward developing big men.  BP has tons of potential and needs NBA coaching and strength training.  Repeating as SEC POTY isn't going to be easy and there is always the potential for injury or even regression if he stays.  I don't think he would regress at all, but it is very possible that he has hit his ceiling in MA's system.   
He did something right.  Did you see his improvement from year 1 to year 2?

Hawg Red

Kendall Marshall and Jeremy Lamb are two lottery picks that have been sent down to the D-League.

HAWGENGINEER

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 22, 2015, 09:32:42 pm
Kendall Marshall and Jeremy Lamb are two lottery picks that have been sent down to the D-League.

Correct. First round picks and some lottery picks (any pick 1-14) are sent down to the D-League and called back up all the time these days, especially by the more progressive teams.  A lot of times you'll see teams send them down to the D-League for a short stint because the players can get many more minutes on those teams while they develop their game.
"To the optimist, the glass is half full.
To the pessimist, the glass is half empty.
To the engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be." - Unknown

TomBigBeeHog

He didn't say he wasn't either. Matter of fact, he made comments that could indicate that he will most likely be back.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

WarPig88

Quote from: azhog10 on March 22, 2015, 01:26:05 pm
Very true! But scouts aren't looking at BP bc they think he has a high ceiling. It's actually bc they think he's more developed now than some of the other players in his position. However their are more with a higher ceiling in their eyes. So if BP goes and gets drafted high it's not bc what they think he will be become. But bc of what he is now.

Someone who finally gets it.

Portis is not being looked at as a potential star by scouts. He is being looked at as a role player.

Whoever said that Portis will be lucky if he has a Brewer type career was right on the money. Whoever drafts Bobby is not going to have a lot invested in him if goes where he is currently projected. They aren't going to be that interested in taking the time to develop him very much as a result.

He will need to hit the ground running and because of that, he needs to be as ready as possible BEFORE he enters the league.

Right now, scouts have doubts about his ability to rebound on the defensive end and play one on one defense. Those deficiencies will put a guy out of the league in a hurry.

Portis can earn 5 mil easy if he goes now, but he may never make more after that if he doesn't improve in the areas scouts are questioning him in.

Leaving too early could cost Portis a lot more money than staying a year too long would.

TomBigBeeHog

Quote from: WarPig88 on March 23, 2015, 12:48:13 am
Someone who finally gets it.

Portis is not being looked at as a potential star by scouts. He is being looked at as a role player.

Whoever said that Portis will be lucky if he has a Brewer type career was right on the money. Whoever drafts Bobby is not going to have a lot invested in him if goes where he is currently projected. They aren't going to be that interested in taking the time to develop him very much as a result.

He will need to hit the ground running and because of that, he needs to be as ready as possible BEFORE he enters the league.

Right now, scouts have doubts about his ability to rebound on the defensive end and play one on one defense. Those deficiencies will put a guy out of the league in a hurry.

Portis can earn 5 mil easy if he goes now, but he may never make more after that if he doesn't improve in the areas scouts are questioning him in.

Leaving too early could cost Portis a lot more money than staying a year too long would.

I am glad that Bobby has Corliss and others in the Razorback family whose opinions carry a lot of weight with him. He can trust them to advise him honestly because they love Bobby. Personally, I feel he is 90 percent sure to return for next season.
I spent most of my life drankin', gamblin', and chasing women, the rest I just wasted.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: Sharky on March 22, 2015, 01:03:53 pm
Lottery pick matters less than first round. First round contracts are set up players for success in the NBA by giving them two years guaranteed salary (thus two years of development time). Second round players don't get that guarantee.

Being IN the NBA and being GOOD and a rotation player in the NBA are two completely different things.  Can Bobby go to the NBA and get paid a great deal of money?  YES!!!!

Can Bobby go and be a rotation player on an NBA roster?  Right now, I dont know.  If he goes now and starts his "clock" so to speak to get finished with his rookie contract, he will be one year closer to getting the much bigger contract.  But he takes the chance of not being good enough to really play and he can sit the bench or maybe bounce back and forth between an NBA team and the D League. 

Bobby can go right now and sit on the bench and make $1M per year or maybe a bit more, but if he hasnt been able to crack a rotation and prove himself after 3 years, he could find himself overseas.  Its a tough decision. Its hard to tell a kid not to take the $1M-$1.5M per year he will be offered so I wouldnt dare do so, but he could also improve, mature, get stronger and be better with another year of college ball and thus enhance his chances of getting that significantly bigger contract in his 4th year.

The league is full of guys who are the #10,#11,#12 man and sit the bench and make a comfortable living. $800K--$1.5 M per year.  They move from team to team and if they are smart, they can retire and not work again.  But what does Bobby want to be? That is the question he needs to answer for himself.

k.c.hawg

The only thing BP can gain by staying in school past this year is another year of college ball and getting closer to his degree. I think it is impossible for him to improve his position in the draft by any noticeable difference. Another group of one and done's will come in and get drafted above him. They might not be as polished but they will have a higher ceiling. 21 is old in terms of the first round of the NBA. I would love for BP to stay and play, enjoy another year of college, team with Qualls and give us the best Razorback basketball we have seen since 95. If he chooses to do that I would admire that guy for being uncommon. But for people thinking he should stay for draft purposes you couldn't be more wrong. The minute he commits to another year of college he will have become a more flawed player in the eyes of the NBA.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

WarPig88

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on March 23, 2015, 12:39:33 pm

The league is full of guys who are the #10,#11,#12 man and sit the bench and make a comfortable living. $800K--$1.5 M per year.  They move from team to team and if they are smart, they can retire and not work again.  But what does Bobby want to be? That is the question he needs to answer for himself.

That is not a place a young player wants to find himself at all. Older players fill those spots as do the latest 1st rounders.

Portis is being seen as a role player. He has to be ready from jump to make a rotation based on what he can do now, because he isn't a guy that is being drafted based on projectability.

Bobby needs to be at least a Nick Collison type or he will be out of the league after his rookie contract is up.

Atlhogfan1

How can his game improve and become more NBA ready by staying vs leaving?

Will he prove he is better at defending PF's which I assume will usually be his defensive matchup at the next level?

Will he improve his back to the basket game and find a nearly unstoppable low most move?

Or does he try to expand his range even more while dreaming about becoming the next Robert Horry? 

Will the limited time with coaches and limited organized team practices be more beneficial than unlimited time working with personal trainers, NBA players and prospects in learning the pro game?  Should this wait another year?  Is going against Trey Thompson and Kingsley going to make him better?   

Is he ready for summer ball, preseason and 82 regular season games?  He won't be playing around 30 mpg. 

If he wants to return for his love of the state, university, program or to continue his education a little longer or he doesn't want to have the pro life yet or whatever, then great.  I hope he ends up making the right decision for him and his family and he ends up very happy with it.  If staying is what he wants, then stay. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

PonderinHog

Quote from: k.c.hawg on March 23, 2015, 01:18:24 pm
The only thing BP can gain by staying in school past this year is another year of college ball and getting closer to his degree. I think it is impossible for him to improve his position in the draft by any noticeable difference. Another group of one and done's will come in and get drafted above him. They might not be as polished but they will have a higher ceiling. 21 is old in terms of the first round of the NBA. I would love for BP to stay and play, enjoy another year of college, team with Qualls and give us the best Razorback basketball we have seen since 95. If he chooses to do that I would admire that guy for being uncommon. But for people thinking he should stay for draft purposes you couldn't be more wrong. The minute he commits to another year of college he will have become a more flawed player in the eyes of the NBA.
Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2015, 01:38:27 pm
How can his game improve and become more NBA ready by staying vs leaving?

Will he prove he is better at defending PF's which I assume will usually be his defensive matchup at the next level?

Will he improve his back to the basket game and find a nearly unstoppable low most move?

Or does he try to expand his range even more while dreaming about becoming the next Robert Horry? 

Will the limited time with coaches and limited organized team practices be more beneficial than unlimited time working with personal trainers, NBA players and prospects in learning the pro game?  Should this wait another year?  Is going against Trey Thompson and Kingsley going to make him better?   

Is he ready for summer ball, preseason and 82 regular season games?  He won't be playing around 30 mpg. 

If he wants to return for his love of the state, university, program or to continue his education a little longer or he doesn't want to have the pro life yet or whatever, then great.  I hope he ends up making the right decision for him and his family and he ends up very happy with it.  If staying is what he wants, then stay. 

Rocky Mountain Living

Damn, I thought Portis was coming back based on Dudley's reporting.

Wow....spreading mis-information for personal gain at the expense of Portis

If there was an Arkansas Media Hall of Fame of Media Hacks....this would seal his bid into the HOF of Media Hacks

Dudley is a hack.

AnonymousHog

This is typical Dudley.  He is horrible at reporting and a jerk off.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Rocky Mountain Living on March 23, 2015, 03:54:23 pm
Damn, I thought Portis was coming back based on Dudley's reporting.

Wow....spreading mis-information for personal gain at the expense of Portis

If there was an Arkansas Media Hall of Fame of Media Hacks....this would seal his bid into the HOF of Media Hacks

Dudley is a hack.

Dudley is a former student manager for the basketball program turned fanboy.  He tells Hog fans what he thinks they should hear and want to hear which is what is best to keep them happy for Clay Henry's business.  Leeches who have made their living off of Hog fans. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on March 23, 2015, 04:01:24 pm
Dudley is a former student manager for the basketball program turned fanboy.  He tells Hog fans what he thinks they should hear and want to hear which is what is best to keep them happy for Clay Henry's business.  Leeches who have made their living off of Hog fans. 

Thanks

I never knew that about Dudley's beginnings....when was he manager?

I never did look into joining Hawgs illustrated/scout.com. or put those two exploiters together with that website.

Regarding Dudleygate and Portis....I wonder if this is a taste of what it's like to be a member of their website?

Hawg Red

Supposedly, this is something Bobby said to Dudley off audio after the press conference.

Rocky Mountain Living

Quote from: Hawg Red on March 23, 2015, 04:12:14 pm
Supposedly, this is something Bobby said to Dudley off audio after the press conference.

Now, I want to become a member of Dudley's website.

Just Kidding.....I wonder if Hawgs Illustrated/scout.com just got a bunch of new $ub$cription$ this week!?

thirtythree

I don't know what it was, but after BP was named SEC POTY he didn't really demonstrate that. Yeah, he had some good stats, but probably should have been better considering who it was against. IMO, i think he really tried too hard to prove the title he was given because some said UK players deserved it more. I don't blame him one bit for how things turned out, but I think he does a little. I think he really wants to come back to give it another go.

If he and Qualls both come back, and with what is coming in, sky is the limit! Ecited for next season already.

HotlantaHog

Aside from the potential money, there is also question of what you want to do .... You only get to go to college once ... if you enjoy it and want to stay another year, you should.