Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the missing piece

Started by hhicNaychaBoi, February 16, 2015, 10:21:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Cresthog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 09:19:34 am
You know what's pathetic?  "Fans" who used Mick to push their anti-Anderson agenda on this board.  I have no feelings one way or the other on Mick the person.  Mick the player is getting some karma if you ask me.  And if he doesn't care about hoops, no coach is gonna change that!  But, jump ball will blame that on Anderson too.

Just let him go and enjoy the team.

He'd probably be contributing about as much as Kinglsey this year anyway. And Kinglsey has way more upside overall with his athleticism.

Just let him go. There's a thread about him every 2-3 weeks, I don't get it.

He certainly wasn't Rotnei.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 17, 2015, 09:27:04 am
“He’s a face-the-basket forward that can shoot the three,” Darien Mickelson said. “He runs the floor great. He’s most effective when he catches the ball. Any system that does that, there’s a lot of really good schools out there that the bigs touch the ball every time down the floor.” - See more at: http://m. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/blog/robbies-hog-blog/mickelson-leaving-arkansas-basketball-program.html#sthash.qrnEfDB1.dpuf
There was another piece on ESPN site where his dad was taking jabs at Anderson.  But, you've stumbled across a bigger issue!  I thought according to jump ball, Anderson MADE Mick put on weight.  Anderson's quotes say the exact opposite.  This is priceless!

The_Iceman

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 17, 2015, 09:27:04 am
"He's a face-the-basket forward that can shoot the three," Darien Mickelson said. "He runs the floor great. He's most effective when he catches the ball. Any system that does that, there's a lot of really good schools out there that the bigs touch the ball every time down the floor." - See more at: http://m. [[[Stop spamming your site, Eric.]]] .com/blog/robbies-hog-blog/mickelson-leaving-arkansas-basketball-program.html#sthash.qrnEfDB1.dpuf

LOL! He's lucky to touch the ball at all now!

hogfan10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 07:32:49 am
A stretch 3 you say.  Are you serious?    How can someone who can't dribble, has no lateral quickness, can't defend in space or consistently hit a jumper be a 3?  Question...he's been at KS as long as he was here.  Why hasn't a "good coach" been using him? That was all he needed right?  A good coach and the right system.  KS is woefully thin lengthwise.  Why is Self not playing him at all most nights?  I purposely look at the KS boxscore to see Mick's stats.  You know why?  Because all I heard on here is Mick was a stud who needed a better coach.  It was just another shot at Anderson.  Wish him much success as a student.  Can't say I'm surprised at the athlete part tho.  Had been telling y'all for two years he was only playing cause he was tall.

Currently being able to dribble is not a requirement for playing the 3 at Arkansas. Personally I think his skillset/demeanor etc. is best suited for somewhere between a 3/4. I think he chose the wrong team for his abilities (Kansas also wants him as a 5), a better choice for him would have been a team that already had an established 5, and that plays at a much slower pace.

By the way, what did the kid ever do to you? It appears to be your mission to degrade him any chance you get.

Swinesong1

http://m.espn.go.com/ncb/story?storyId=9179875&src=desktop&rand=ref~%7B%22ref%22%3A%22https%3A%2F%2Fwww.google.com%2F%22%7D

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 17, 2015, 09:38:24 am
Currently being able to dribble is not a requirement for playing the 3 at Arkansas. Personally I think his skillset/demeanor etc. is best suited for somewhere between a 3/4. I think he chose the wrong team for his abilities (Kansas also wants him as a 5), a better choice for him would have been a team that already had an established 5, and that plays at a much slower pace.

By the way, what did the kid ever do to you? It appears to be your mission to degrade him any chance you get.
I keep telling you that anyone who insists Mick is a 3 has zero credibility with me.  You really should get with the other dude who believes this and talk hoops.  I can't and won't discuss hoops with you!

Kevin

bottom line, mick's skills set did not ever fit coach anderson's system. they should have parted ways when cma got the job.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

southarkhog06

So I guess its ok to bash kids that arent here anymore.
I get that he was the banner for the anti-MA crowd, but that wasnt his fault. I dont remember him or his family ever saying a negative word about the team or coaching staff, and he certainly didnt steal any equipment. He is not elite and he chose to transfer from a becoming elite school that his style didnt fit to an already elite school that he wasnt good enough for, thats not exactly a cardinal sin.

hogfan10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 09:41:58 am
I keep telling you that anyone who insists Mick is a 3 has zero credibility with me.  You really should get with the other dude who believes this and talk hoops.  I can't and won't discuss hoops with you!

For some reason you have the impression that I care about you're opinion, I don't.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Cresthog on February 17, 2015, 09:34:09 am
Just let him go and enjoy the team.

He'd probably be contributing about as much as Kinglsey this year anyway. And Kinglsey has way more upside overall with his athleticism.

Just let him go. There's a thread about him every 2-3 weeks, I don't get it.

He certainly wasn't Rotnei.
I'm pretty sure I didn't start this thread.  Haven't started one on Mick since the beginning of season.  However, if someone chooses to continue to post nonsense concerning him, I will speak on it.

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 17, 2015, 09:48:40 am
For some reason you have the impression that I care about you're opinion, I don't.
[/quoteSo we're clear then?  I think you know nothing about hoops and you don't care.  Now will you please stop?

hawgsmellgud

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 16, 2015, 11:48:38 pm
Mickleson was a skinny little kid when he got here.  He was a 3 that was asked to play a 5 with his back to the basket because we didn't have anyone else that could do it.  He beefed up, lost confidence on his outside shot and he became miserable. 

Not really his fault, he was asked to do something he wasn't really built for and it wasn't Mike's fault because Hunter was recruited by another coach that didn't have anyone that could play on the block when Mike arrived.

A 3!?!?!?!?! No way! Not ever, just because he didn't want to get dirty on the block does not mean he was a 3. He was a 4-5 Gasol like player, never a 3. No way no how.
"I've never been a numbers guy," Mallett said. "If you play the game for yourself, don't play. I don't want you on the team. There's one goal we've got here. If you're not trying to reach that goal, don't come to Arkansas."

Letsroll1200

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 17, 2015, 09:38:24 am

Hunter was not and will  never play the 3 position.

hogfan10

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on February 17, 2015, 10:01:33 am
Hunter was not and will  never play the 3 position.

Nor did I say he would, but thanks for chiming in; we now know where you stand on the issue.

azhog10

Mickelson playing the 3 in the jumpball forum is like everyone over in MMQB trying to convert any and everyone into a MLB.

hogsanity

IMO, he was yet another case of hometonwheroitis, and it was fueled by the AAU circuit, especially Coach Crawdad, I mean Crawford. Had he been from another state, he would not have been recruited here by either Pel or MA, but either would have been crucified for not recruiting him since he was in state.

Now, he would have done fine in Pels system, but he was never going to be a good fit anywhere for MA. 
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 17, 2015, 10:16:24 am
IMO, he was yet another case of hometonwheroitis, and it was fueled by the AAU circuit, especially Coach Crawdad, I mean Crawford. Had he been from another state, he would not have been recruited here by either Pel or MA, but either would have been crucified for not recruiting him since he was in state.

Now, he would have done fine in Pels system, but he was never going to be a good fit anywhere for MA.
But y'all keep going back to how he wasn't an Anderson system player!  He's no longer here.  He's been under a "better" coach and system and isn't even getting off the bench!

PonderinHog

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 17, 2015, 09:36:25 am
LOL! He's lucky to touch the ball at all now!
Well, he's wide open over there on the wing bench!  Why don't they get him the ball ???

rtr

This thread is not as productive as passing gas.
The more smites the more intelligent I get.

jgphillips3

Quote from: azhog10 on February 17, 2015, 10:05:14 am
Mickelson playing the 3 in the jumpball forum is like everyone over in MMQB trying to convert any and everyone into a MLB.

Hey now!  Wait, are you trying to say Mickelson could play MLB?!  Transfer back Mick!

Cresthog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 09:51:56 am
post nonsense concerning him, I will add to it.

FIFY.

I agree the 3 comment was absurd. but I think people overreact about what his dad said.

I think Anderson probably assisted him to move on as well.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Cresthog on February 17, 2015, 11:10:28 am
FIFY.

I agree the 3 comment was absurd. but I think people overreact about what his dad said.

I think Anderson probably assisted him to move on as well.
Care to share what I said about Mick that's nonsense?

hogsanity

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 10:19:46 am
But y'all keep going back to how he wasn't an Anderson system player!  He's no longer here.  He's been under a "better" coach and system and isn't even getting off the bench!

So that proves what? There are lots of good players that MA would not recruit because they are not the type of player he wants, but they go on to have good careers.

HM went to KS for who knows what reason(s) a school typically with very highly recruited players on their bench because they have so many of them. His getting quality time playing there was a gamble from the start.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogsanity on February 17, 2015, 12:17:21 pm
So that proves what? There are lots of good players that MA would not recruit because they are not the type of player he wants, but they go on to have good careers.

HM went to KS for who knows what reason(s) a school typically with very highly recruited players on their bench because they have so many of them. His getting quality time playing there was a gamble from the start.
Make yourself believe whatever you want.

hogsanity

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 12:26:44 pm
Make yourself believe whatever you want.

What is there to believe other than the facts. He played for the Hogs for two years then left. He had some good games and bad games while here, but his production dropped off as it went along. He transferred to KS, and is doing nothing there so far. Why? There are better players in front of him.

mhuff

Quote from: Hankweb on February 16, 2015, 10:31:41 pm
It's not Mickelsons fault that he didn't do well at Arkansas! Mike Anderson ruins/can't develop big men.
-sarcasm off-

Not saying MA can develop big men. But Hunter Mickelson was not a big man. He never moved his feet well enough to get into position for whatever reasons. He was like that in h.s. as well. I was pulling for him ,but he never changed.

Pork Twain

No hard feelings towards Mick, he just received bad advice.  Rot on the other hand, was a little punk or at least his dad was.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

chiefhawg

We're looking for some place that uses the big man and can use his skill set of running the floor and being able to step outside and shoot," Mickelson said. "Just trying to put him in a better position to succeed."

This sounds a lot like how Bobby Portis is being used. That being said, so far it is working out fine for the Razorbacks. If Hunter would have stayed, who would not be here? Maybe Miles.

passinghog

Quote from: chiefhawg on February 17, 2015, 01:19:41 pm
We're looking for some place that uses the big man and can use his skill set of running the floor and being able to step outside and shoot," Mickelson said. "Just trying to put him in a better position to succeed."

This sounds a lot like how Bobby Portis is being used. That being said, so far it is working out fine for the Razorbacks. If Hunter would have stayed, who would not be here? Maybe Miles.

I wonder if I called HM lazy, would that be considered taking a shot at him? Everything we've seen so far seems to show it'd be an accurate statement. HM wouldn't have had the impact Bobby Portis does because no way did he or does he work as hard as Bobby. If you're not willing to put in the work, in the weight room and on the court, there's no place for them at Arkansas. Our 2 best players put in the work in the gym to get their games to this point. He probably made the better choice to move on, just probably chose the wrong program in KU. Maybe should've went to say a Buffalo, Canisius, Northwestern or somewhere in Utah.

JIHawg

Anderson got more out of him than Self has.  He messed up by transferring.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Kevin on February 17, 2015, 09:44:42 am
bottom line, mick's skills set did not ever fit coach anderson's system. they should have parted ways when cma got the job.
I have the opposite opinion. It seems the big man who can run the floor is the best fit for Anderson's 'system'(I hate that word). In other words, not a traditional 'post-up on the block type of big man', but a guy who can run, is athletic, can post up or face the basket, etc. I believe Mickelsen was the perfect fit for this program, and I liked him as a player. He had his moments and I wish he would have stayed.

Fayettechill14

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 17, 2015, 12:52:55 am
Well, not for Mike.

When he was recruited it was thought that he could run the floor. Play outside.  Shoot outside.  He wasn't bad athletically as he could block shots in his freshman year.

He's 2 for 11 from beyond the arc for his career. Not really an outside player. Kind of a 4 in a really slow offense. Problem is he never drew fouls. Shot 40 free throws in two years here. Won't cut it for a low-post guy.

RazorAg

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 07:41:24 am
That's rewriting history!  All that was being said on here was Mick would be better at KS 'cause he would get good coaching and was in a system that would suit his "skill set".  Please be honest and stop this nonsense!

Hey, man.  I've never spoken for this board once in all of my years posting on here.  I also never said that he was getting bad coaching here, would get better coaching at KU, or would do better at KU.

Don't tell me to be honest when I'm not being dishonest.

I saw the same things you saw and are pointing to in this thread, and I'm on your side - it was fuel for Mike Anderson hate.  I never thought Hunter would thrive at KU; was surprised that Self wanted him.

He's a mid-major player.

jkstock04

That class of kids as a whole was perhaps the most over-rated bunch in the history of Razorbacks athletics, in any sport....and concerning our media and fan base that is saying A LOT.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: jkstock04 on February 18, 2015, 07:35:13 am
That class of kids as a whole was perhaps the most over-rated bunch in the history of Razorbacks athletics, in any sport....and concerning our media and fan base that is saying A LOT.

It really was.  And it started with Crawford two years earlier, when he started touting that class as the best thing since sliced bread.  They were going to arrive, and collectively resurrect Arkansas BB.  We heard it for over a year.  One of them didn't qualify academically, and I can't even recall who that was.  But he was going to go the JC route, and then come back to join that class and they were going to beat up on the world. 

It was without a doubt a hype machine that fizzled out right up there with the likes of Tony Mandarich.  Madden has turned out to be a solid player, and Mickelson is at least suiting up at KU, which is saying a lot.  That's why I take what Crawford says with a lot of grains of salt. 

That being said, I have not seen Malik Monk play against elite competition, although I've seen the numbers he puts up doing it.  But against Arkansas BB, it's not even fair looking.  It looks like Michael Jordan came back to HS just for giggles, at the height of his greatness.  Yes, I realize that's stretching it, but if you haven't seen him play, you've missed out on something impressive. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

PonderinHog

Aaron Ross never made it to campus, right?

hogfan10

Quote from: Showtimehog on February 17, 2015, 09:33:59 pm
I wonder if I called HM lazy, would that be considered taking a shot at him? Everything we've seen so far seems to show it'd be an accurate statement. HM wouldn't have had the impact Bobby Portis does because no way did he or does he work as hard as Bobby. If you're not willing to put in the work, in the weight room and on the court, there's no place for them at Arkansas. Our 2 best players put in the work in the gym to get their games to this point. He probably made the better choice to move on, just probably chose the wrong program in KU. Maybe should've went to say a Buffalo, Canisius, Northwestern or somewhere in Utah.

I think pointing out that he is lazy is a fair comment to make, but I don't think we have any way of knowing whether he was/is lazy or not. He could have been putting in the work, but he was putting in the work to learn a knew position. I think the transition to that position just didn't click with him, for whatever reason. When HM came to the UofA, he was needed as a 5. When BP came to the UofA he wasn't. Not to mention; BP is a 1st rounder, so their skill levels are different. With that said, there are many very good college players (past, future, & present) that won't be 1st rounders, or even drafted at all. Many of my favorite Hog players were never drafted: Stewart, Bowers, Shepherd, McDaniel, Beck, Wallace, Crawford, Thurman, Hood, Reid, Davis, Balentine, etc., etc.

elksnort

That class of 5 players were over rated by too many people. I'm not blaming the guys themselves. They were just given too much hype.

Hunter might have done well to have gone to ASU, but it's his life, not mine.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 17, 2015, 09:41:58 am
Dude, your just being a richard.

He's gone.  People have opinions.  Some of them are wrong.

Some of yours are wrong, I promise, even if you were right on this.

Get over yourself before you get busted out for something dumb you've said.
All Gas, No Brakes!

The_Iceman

Quote from: elksnort on February 18, 2015, 09:26:13 am
That class of 5 players were over rated by too many people. I'm not blaming the guys themselves. They were just given too much hype.

Hunter might have done well to have gone to ASU, but it's his life, not mine.

I think a smaller school like Butler or Creighton might have fit him better.

Kevin

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2015, 11:09:59 am

Exactly, what I think
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Iwastherein1969

Quote from: Kevin on February 17, 2015, 08:56:51 am
hunter is a stretch 4  should have gone to a creighton or butler type program
that's an optimistic assessment...what I remember about the "missing piece" is during his time under CMA is that he was most often in "no man's land"..in other words he couldn't keep up...notice how Portis runs the floor, well, we never saw that with "the missing piece"...."the missing piece" should have went to UCA, Henderson St, SAU and at the very best, ASU..."the missing piece" was in over his head at the UA and is "rolling in the deep" at KU....I feel for the kid...chalk this up to yet another parent with eyes on the NBA when that was NEVER going to happen
The long Grey line will never fail our country.

Swinesong1

February 18, 2015, 12:08:09 pm #93 Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 12:27:59 pm by Swinesong1
Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 18, 2015, 11:03:05 am

The Hogs doing well really has you upset huh?  You seem to have your share of stupid posts too.  But, go for it!  If I'm wrong, so be it.  But I guarantee you, I won't continue to try and make you believe wrong is right.

FATHAWG08

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 16, 2015, 11:48:38 pm
Mickleson was a skinny little kid when he got here.  He was a 3 that was asked to play a 5 with his back to the basket because we didn't have anyone else that could do it.  He beefed up, lost confidence on his outside shot and he became miserable. 

Not really his fault, he was asked to do something he wasn't really built for and it wasn't Mike's fault because Hunter was recruited by another coach that didn't have anyone that could play on the block when Mike arrived.
Mickleson defending the 3 would have been worst than him playing the 3!
I love off season Football!!

hogfan10

Quote from: The_Iceman on February 18, 2015, 11:09:59 am

Agree

hogfan10

Quote from: FATHAWG08 on February 18, 2015, 01:25:50 pm
Mickleson defending the 3 would have been worst than him playing the 3!

I imagine he can defend the 3 just fine, he is 6'10" or so, isn't he? That alone would make it difficult for the shooter. Now, if the shooter decides to dribble instead of shoot from 3, that probably would create problems for HM defensively.

hogfan10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on February 18, 2015, 12:08:09 pm
The Hogs doing well really has you upset huh?  You seem to have your share of stupid posts too.  But, go for it!  If I'm wrong, so be it.  But I guarantee you, I won't continue to try and make you believe wrong is right.

Really? You seem to be obsessed with people acknowledging your greatness as a basketball aficionado.

Deep Shoat

Quote from: Deep Shoat on February 18, 2015, 11:03:05 am

Upset?  Not even a little.  I am thrilled with the results so far.  I don't know yet if they are reproducible, but we'll find out.

As for the rest, I was referring to your general jerkiness throughout this thread.  Not that post, in particular.
All Gas, No Brakes!

Swinesong1

Quote from: hogfan10 on February 18, 2015, 01:38:47 pm
Really? You seem to be obsessed with people acknowledging your greatness as a basketball aficionado.
How ironic!  You seem to be obsessed with following me.