Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Resistance to Basketball Facility?

Started by razorpride89, September 04, 2013, 12:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Red Tusk

Quote from: poloprince on September 04, 2013, 01:37:11 pm

Auburn has a nice facility and they havent won in bball  since Chris porter. It goes far beyond winning.

Yes I agree.  The key there was Cliff's sweater vests.  I really think Mike should try this out.
If you can accept losing, you can't win.-Vince Lombardi

'Why don't they make the whole plane out of that black box stuff.'-Steven Wright

Wsherrer

You ask the question of what will go on at BWA if the basketball operations is moved to the practice facility. Why wasn't the same question asked on the FB side? What happens at Razorback Stadium/ Broyles Complex when the football operations center is opened? I am not saying your question isn't 't legitimate but it is just as legitimate on the pigskin side.

mizzouman

Quote from: HognitiveDissonance on September 07, 2013, 12:50:40 pm
Make that a bunch. Practice facilities are stupid and a colossal waste of money. You should practice where you play, and there aren't THAT many conflicts of space to justify it.

Having said that, keeping up with the Joneses is an important thing in recruiting and that alone might be sufficient reason to do it, regardless of how stupid it is.
A practice facility has never helped a team make it to the final 4. Hell, we've had 2 very nice ones since 1972 and we have never made it to the final 4. :)

But we suck anyway.

dsims2k3

Quote from: mizzouman on September 08, 2013, 09:54:24 am
A practice facility has never helped a team make it to the final 4. Hell, we've had 2 very nice ones since 1972 and we have never made it to the final 4. :)

But we suck anyway.
Nor has it taken a team to a BCS bowl or the CWS.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: azhog10 on September 04, 2013, 05:07:11 pm
Certain things were promised and told to Coach A when he came here about the facilities.
I hate to see him leave if these things don't happen.
Nobody else is going to pay him the giant salary that Arkansas does with his record.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 10, 2013, 05:46:10 pm
Nobody else is going to pay him the giant salary that Arkansas does with his record.

Missouri was ready to offer him two million dollars a year if he would stay. probably would have matched arkansas offer if they thought it would have done any good. but mike wanted to come home so the tigers offer was irrelevant at that point.

If you want to count Missouri as a nobody that's fine with me. I feel the same way. They don't matter. My point is though, that the someone else saw similar value in MA that justified his current salary.

azhog10

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on September 10, 2013, 05:46:10 pm
Not saying they would RIGHT NOW. But when he took the Arkansas job, there was at least one team willing to pay him quite a bit of money. He will make more money than any other Arkansas coach has that's been forced out I can guarantee you that. If he ever leaves Arkansas his salary will be much higher than Pelphrey's when he left, and much higher than Stan Heath got at USF.

azhog10

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 06, 2013, 10:30:51 am
More than the last coach, yes. At some point, you have to admit that losing (i.e. not playing in March) has taken its toll and it's nothing personal against Anderson.
I don't disagree. Add the overhyped recruiting class that he walked in to when he first took the job and it compounded things. But I think it doesn't take much to admit that his lower star players have outperformed many of the higher star players that Pelphrey had committed when Anderson took over. So I think a lot of our questions or comments will be answered this year.

azhog10

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 06, 2013, 09:27:59 pm
Irrelevant. All D1 baseball programs deal with the same antiquated scholarship situation.
This statement isn't true. I've been drilled over and over that there are certain schools with the ability to give their baseball players full scholarships. Vanderbilt is one that comes to mind.

Hawg Red

Quote from: azhog10 on September 11, 2013, 12:33:25 pm
I don't disagree. Add the overhyped recruiting class that he walked in to when he first took the job and it compounded things. But I think it doesn't take much to admit that his lower star players have outperformed many of the higher star players that Pelphrey had committed when Anderson took over. So I think a lot of our questions or comments will be answered this year.

Who exactly are you talking about?

-Blu

September 11, 2013, 01:27:59 pm #210 Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 03:15:31 pm by -Blu
Quote from: Hawg Red on September 11, 2013, 01:06:08 pm
Who exactly are you talking about?

I believe he's referring to Anderson's first class that he actually recruited the Qualls, Bell, Wagner, Williams, Harris, Gulley (to an extent) vs the Pelphrey recruited class Young, Madden, Mickelson, Abron.

I agree with him to an extent, the freshman class last year didn't out produce that Pelphrey "Highly" touted class, but they really underachieved, and the class full of 3 stars that Anderson brought in really showed a lot of promise last year, mainly in Qualls and Bell at the end of the season.  And I think most people that really keep up with hog basketball can agree the 2012 class is proving to be a much more valued class in rebuilding this program.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on September 11, 2013, 01:27:59 pm
I believe he's referring to Anderson's first class that he actually recruited the Qualls, Bell, Wagner, Williams, Harris, Gulley (to an extent) vs the Pelphrey recruited class Young, Madden, Mickelson, Abron.

I agree with him to an extend, the freshman class last year didn't out produce that Pelphrey "Highly" touted class, but they really underachieved, and the class full of 3 stars that Anderson brought in really showed a lot of promise last year, mainly in Qualls and Bell at the end of the season.  And I think most people that really keep up with hog basketball can agree the 2012 class is proving to be a much more valued class in rebuilding this program.

Oh.

Way to early to be having that debate, IMO. I'll talk about it when the time comes. Not saying I don't think that will be the case, but I also don't see anyone in 2012 class having the impact B.J. Young had.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 11, 2013, 01:58:52 pm
Oh.

Way to early to be having that debate, IMO. I'll talk about it when the time comes. Not saying I don't think that will be the case, but I also don't see anyone in 2012 class having the impact B.J. Young had.

BJ was a good player, if he could have been a little more mature, and bought into what CMA was trying to do, and actually tried on defense, there's no doubt we would have been a lot better team.  But, I agree it's too early, we'll be able to tell ALOT about this class and how good they are actually going to be after this year.  I'm really looking forward to watch Alandise Harris play.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 06, 2013, 10:21:40 am
And responding to and debating with someone whom you know to be an idiot makes you what???
Married ???

Oklahawg

Quote from: azhog10 on September 11, 2013, 12:35:27 pm
This statement isn't true. I've been drilled over and over that there are certain schools with the ability to give their baseball players full scholarships. Vanderbilt is one that comes to mind.

NO.

Schools must play by the same rules regarding scholarships. But, the rules start/stop with the number, that bizarre 14.7 number (or whatever it is)...not how they are broken down and disbursed.

Some schools may choose to offer a full ride to a great player, but most do not. How schools package that with other aide? I have no clue, or even if it is possible.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

OnTheHillHogFan

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2013, 05:22:07 pm
NO.

Schools must play by the same rules regarding scholarships. But, the rules start/stop with the number, that bizarre 14.7 number (or whatever it is)...not how they are broken down and disbursed.

Some schools may choose to offer a full ride to a great player, but most do not. How schools package that with other aide? I have no clue, or even if it is possible.
Private schools can lower their academic requirements for academic scholarships so players can get them in baseball. This is why Vandy is able to keep a lot of players that are drafted high out of HS.
Quote from: JaketheSnake on November 07, 2012, 10:28:17 am
Shoot the Obama deer... the ones that come for the free corn.
Quote from: ReddieHawg on November 06, 2013, 09:38:24 am
Do you happen to have any rapping skills? I think we could set you up with DJ Khaled and you could make a song entitled, "All I Do Is Bitch"

azhog10

Quote from: Oklahawg on September 11, 2013, 05:22:07 pm
NO.

You would be wrong. Check with Vandy's baseball team and you will find more than 14.7 scholarship players.

Swinesong1

September 11, 2013, 09:35:42 pm #217 Last Edit: September 11, 2013, 09:52:45 pm by Swinesong1
Quote from: azhog10 on September 11, 2013, 08:17:45 pm
You would be wrong. Check with Vandy's baseball team and you will find more than 14.7 scholarship players.
Not to continue derailing this thread (Hogville tradition) and I certainly wasn't invited into this conversation, but it's hard for me to believe that if the NCAA establishes a school can only give "x" number of ATHLETIC schollies, that ANY school can go against that and give however many they want.  Think about this for a minute....you can only have 13 players on basketball schollie.  But AR says "screw that", we're awarding 16 scholarships.  Not happening.  I'm talking athletic, not any other.  If they want to say it's an academic schollie (wink, wink) so be it.  But, you cannot under any circumstance exceed the number of NCAA mandated athletic scholarships awarded each year. Vandy very well may have 100 players on athletic scholarship but they had better equal out to 11.7 (see attached) total athletic scholarships awarded. 
Added this for reference:
http://scholarshipstats.com/baseball.html

azhog10

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 11, 2013, 09:35:42 pm
Not to continue derailing this thread (Hogville tradition) and I certainly wasn't invited into this conversation, but it's hard for me to believe that if the NCAA establishes a school can only give "x" number of ATHLETIC schollies, that ANY school can go against that and give however many they want.  Think about this for a minute....you can only have 13 players on basketball schollie.  But AR says "screw that", we're awarding 16 scholarships.  Not happening.  I'm talking athletic, not any other.  If they want to say it's an academic schollie (wink, wink) so be it.  But, you cannot under any circumstance exceed the number of NCAA mandated athletic scholarships awarded each year. Vandy very well may have 100 players on athletic scholarship but they had better equal out to 11.7 (see attached) total athletic scholarships awarded. 
Added this for reference:
http://scholarshipstats.com/baseball.html
I agree. However Vandy is able to do things a little differently with their academic money for baseball players. Fair or not.

Cure

Arkansas should have a practice facility. Can't consider it a top program top to bottom without one. Practice facilities mean quite a bit to student athletes and anybody who has ever had access to one will tell you that.

24/7 access will get you the gym rats and you don't have to worry about sharing the facility as you would with BWA.

The Arkansas facilities are currently pretty bad in comparison to other programs. I would suggest checking them out. Some universities have better recreational facilities on campus than the Arkansas' basketball team.

Doesn't bode well for recruiting either.
Team Economics
From Keynes to Friedman, we know what's up.

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: Cure on September 11, 2013, 11:57:32 pm
Arkansas should have a practice facility. Can't consider it a top program top to bottom without one. Practice facilities mean quite a bit to student athletes and anybody who has ever had access to one will tell you that.

24/7 access will get you the gym rats and you don't have to worry about sharing the facility as you would with BWA.

The Arkansas facilities are currently pretty bad in comparison to other programs. I would suggest checking them out. Some universities have better recreational facilities on campus than the Arkansas' basketball team.

Doesn't bode well for recruiting either.
amen to all of this, especially the last paragraph. There are definitely some nicer rec centers. At least the Hogs don't have something as crappy as the HPER. Most schools I know our size that aren't commuter schools in big cities have more than one rec center AND a practice facility. I think I'd rather see us get a practice facility before another HPER though.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!