Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Resistance to Basketball Facility?

Started by razorpride89, September 04, 2013, 12:47:01 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

razorpride89

According to Tom Murphy on twitter (‏@TomMurphyADG) he said this: Jeff Long, lobbying for BB practice facility, said he's never had an issue on which he's received more resistance from the fan base.

Why would there be resistance to something Coach A wants?

HawgAdvocate

Securing donation $$$ to complete all of phase II, not just the BB facility.

Back to back seasons with one road win doesn't get 'big money' checks written as quickly as Jeff would prefer.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

UNCLE BACK

Folks are disgusted with the last decade of Razorback Basketball, Season tickets are down and people are not wanting to give extra... I can't really blame the people. I think this year is very important to the future of our program. 

ricepig

The resistance is in people not writing checks, it's all about the money.

poloprince

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 04, 2013, 12:51:55 pm
Securing donation $$$ to complete all of phase II, not just the BB facility.

Back to back seasons with one road win doesn't get 'big money' checks written as quickly as Jeff would prefer.

This isn't a win/ losses issue.
$PoLoPrInCe$

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: poloprince on September 04, 2013, 01:28:23 pm

Winning is what got Bud Walton Arena built.
Winning is what got Razorback Stadium expanded.
Winning is what got the Fred Smith Football Center, the new weight room, & the elevated practice fields built.

Winning builds interest. Interest sells tickets and bring in donations. It's always been about winning. It always will be.
"The supreme benevolent force of Hogville, who is impervious to pervasive form of confirmation bias, which is inherent to ALL human beings" - intelligence 4/4/16
I used to argue with HA about how Pel ran the basketball team.  I've since learned to like and respect him.  In fact, I'd go as far to say that HA is well connected or extremely perceptive. - Porkatarian, 11/7/12

The_Iceman

If we would have been a solid Top 25 team over the last decade, the practice facility might already be built.

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on September 04, 2013, 01:28:23 pm

More garbage from you.

Of course it is. If we were in the tournament every year, contending for Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, Long would already have all the money he needs for this thing. Why pump money into something that you think it's going to pay off? Hog fans have reason to be skeptical.

Hawg Red

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 04, 2013, 01:32:04 pm
Winning is what got the Fred Smith Football Center, the new weight room, & the elevated practice fields built.

Winning builds interest. Interest sells tickets and bring in donations. It's always been about winning. It always will be.

Boom. Goes. The. Dynamite.

poloprince

Auburn has a nice facility and they havent won in bball  since Chris porter. It goes far beyond winning. 
$PoLoPrInCe$

Hawg Red

Quote from: poloprince on September 04, 2013, 01:37:11 pm

Auburn has a nice facility and they havent won in bball  since Udonis Haslem. It goes far beyond winning.

Udonis Haslem played for Florida.

You're looking for Chris Porter.

poloprince

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 01:38:27 pm
Udonis Haslem played for Florida.

You're looking for Chris Porter.

Yeah that's him, thanks friend.
$PoLoPrInCe$

Smithian

Auburn has a nice facility and they havent won in bball  since Chris porter. It goes far beyond winning. 
That came with a new arena.

The UofA has put money into basketball with both coaching salaries and occasional face lifts to Bud Walton. I also think they redid locker rooms recently. For a major project like a practice facility it will either take more time to gather the funding or it will take winning. If this program has a top 25 caliber season that leads to future excitement then you'll see concrete being poured this time next year.

We on this board may be excited about the future of Razorback basketball, but for many people that isn't the case.

Justifiable Hogicide

Quote from: UNCLE BACK on September 04, 2013, 01:04:34 pm
Season tickets are down and people are not wanting to give extra... I can't really blame the people. I think this year is very important to the future of our program. 
Mike Anderson needs to start winning if he wants people to open up their checkbooks for his basketball program.

HawgAdvocate

Ahem

-Blu

That point make sense, but people still failed to answer the question why we're the only school in the conference without a practice facility.  We have haven't been the worse basketball program in this conference in the last decade, their have been lots of other schools worse than us.  Most mid-major schools even have a practice facility, it's really kinda embarrassing that we don't know have one and it's 2013.

This is now the second coaching staff that has been pressing hard for one, and still having problems getting it done.  I don't understand how people expect us to be an elite level program and not have the resources to do so.  That's like a parent telling their kid they want them get straight A's and be at the top of their class, but refuse to buy their kid a computer and give them internet at their house.  So, the kid is restricted to do research and get homework done during school hours.  It's possible they could still do very well, but you give them the resources that everybody else has and they will be able to excel so much easier.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 04:06:48 pm
That point make sense, but people still failed to answer the question why we're the only school in the conference without a practice facility.  We have haven't been the worse basketball program in this conference in the last decade, their have been lots of other schools worse than us. 

Sure it does. Football has been king since 1999, and has received all of the 'money love' since HDN took over and had his surprising first season. Razorback basketball has been disappointing and/or in turmoil over the past 15 years.

We change coaches every four/five years, hit the reset button, and donors remain in 'wait & see' mode. If a primary donor wanted to help fund one, there's no one stopping them from writing a check.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 01:36:21 pm
More garbage from you.

Of course it is. If we were in the tournament every year, contending for Sweet 16s and Elite 8s, Long would already have all the money he needs for this thing. Why pump money into something that you think it's going to pay off? Hog fans have reason to be skeptical.

That backwards mentality is what has the state of Arkansas in the bottom half of almost everything.
Thank goodness for Mississippi. Practice facilities aren't a reward for winning.
Quote from: Boston RedHogs on October 23, 2013, 06:39:15 pm
I am always ready for Hog Ball!

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

dsims2k3

And what has the inconsistent football program won in the past 15 years? 2 Cotton Bowls???

The football season has no bearing on my excitement for basketball season to begin. 

I know I'm in the minority, but I rank Hog basketball above Hog football every day of the week and twice on Sundays. Has a lot to do with the era in which I grew up, but for me personally there is just nothing better than watching the Hogs run up and down the court!
Woo Pig Sooiee!  Can't wait for the season to tip off.  I'm hoping for a much more competitive team this season.

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: dsims2k3 on September 04, 2013, 04:51:43 pm
And what has the inconsistent football program won in the past 15 years? 2 Cotton Bowls???

You must be too young to recall the first few years in the SEC. Don't forget the Sugar Bowl, the Citrus Bowl, and the Capitol One Bowl...among others.

azhog10

I don't think it will ever happen but certain things were promised and told to Coach A when he came here about the facilities. I hate to see him leave if these things don't happen. It's obvious to this staff how important a practice facility is and if we can't give them one, it will send the wrong message to the Coaches about the vested interest in the program.

That said, HA and others have it right. Donors aren't going to put up big money for a losing product. Not that this team is losing in a sense that the program stinks. However, it's not getting to the playoffs and basketball already has a big past in the minds of many around here. So the question will be, can CMA get this team winning in a way that pleases the donors so they can give money to help CMA get this program where he wants. Almost a cart before the horse scenariou, but sometimes you have to carry the load for a mile or two before you get the help you need.

Smithian

Quote from: azhog10 on September 04, 2013, 05:07:11 pm
I don't think it will ever happen but  certain things were promised and told to Coach A when he came here about the facilities.I hate to see him leave if these things don't happen. It's obvious to this staff how important a practice facility is and if we can't give them one, it will send the wrong message to the Coaches about the vested interest in the program.

That said, HA and others have it right. Donors aren't going to put up big money for a losing product. Not that this team is losing in a sense that the program stinks. However, it's not getting to the playoffs and basketball already has a big past in the minds of many around here. So the question will be, can CMA get this team winning in a way that pleases the donors so they can give money to help CMA get this program where he wants. Almost a cart before the horse scenariou, but sometimes you have to carry the load for a mile or two before you get the help you need.
Arkansas is paying him and his staff massive money. If he can find another program to pay him as much and give him his facilities, then maybe he should go!

That will never happen.

dsims2k3

Quote from: Smithian on September 04, 2013, 05:16:35 pm
Arkansas is paying him and his staff massive money. If he can find another program to pay him as much and give him his facilities, then maybe he should go!

That will never happen.

with the way schools are paying for athletics, don't think it can't. Then the U of A can go find another Sun Belt coach if they are not serious about supporting the hoops program. 

Hog_One_Stop

Mike needs to become best friends with Rob Walton think he might help him out

-Blu

Quote from: HawgAdvocate on September 04, 2013, 04:43:46 pm
Sure it does. Football has been king since 1999, and has received all of the 'money love' since HDN took over and had his surprising first season. Razorback basketball has been disappointing and/or in turmoil over the past 15 years.

We change coaches every four/five years, hit the reset button, and donors remain in 'wait & see' mode. If a primary donor wanted to help fund one, there's no one stopping them from writing a check.

I guess we're the only lucky school in the SEC that have donors that think like that.  Cause Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, TAM, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Vanberbilt, have all had about the same level of basketball success as us over the past decade.  Only teams that have been consistently good in SEC over the past 10 years in probably Florida, Kentucky, and maybe Tennessee and LSU. Everybody else has been sub par.

Boston RedHogs

Not to mention the track/baseball indoor facility

The real Hogules

I was about to make the exact same point about programs like an Auburn, who currently have a practice facility and have been every bit as disappointing as our Hogs have been AND never been to the Championship game, much less won it all.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

Hawg Red

Are the bottom programs in the SEC paying their head coach 2 plus million dollars a year?

HawgAdvocate

Quote from: The real Hogules on September 04, 2013, 07:26:02 pm
I was about to make the exact same point about programs like an Auburn, who currently have a practice facility and have been every bit as disappointing as our Hogs have been AND never been to the Championship game, much less won it all.

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 06:31:34 pm
I guess we're the only lucky school in the SEC that have donors that think like that.  Cause Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, TAM, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Georgia, and Vanberbilt, have all had about the same level of basketball success as us over the past decade. 

But we're not Auburn, Alabama, Miss State, Texas A&M, South Carolina, Ole Miss, Georgia, or Vanderbilt. We're Arkansas.

We don't have the same donors. Our athletic department funding doesn't come from the same place(s) as theirs do. We have better facilities in certain programs than these other schools currently have.

Apples to oranges. Why don't we have a basketball practice facility? Bottom line, it hasn't ever been paid for. Blame whomever you want to blame. The fact remains the same.

Boston RedHogs

I get what HA is saying, but given our programs history and tradition, there is absolutely zero reason to be the only program in the SEC without a facility.

It's indefensible.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 07:47:58 pm
Are the bottom programs in the SEC paying their head coach 2 plus million dollars a year?

No, but they don't average 14,000 in attendance either.

If Auburn can afford to pay Barbee 1.5 Mil a year, and he only gets 6,000 in attendance, and has a 47-97 record.  We should be able to get CMA a practice facility if he averages 14,000 in attendance (20th in the nation) and has a record 53-45 record at Arkansas.  I'm sorry there's no logical explanation to argue against us not having one and everybody else does. It's a necessity if you expect us to be able to recruit and train elite talent.  Jeff Long and both Mike Anderson realize this, that's why every time a mic is put in front of them they press the issue.  Only in Arkansas and Mississippi do people think you can get full results by doing things half way.

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 08:01:59 pm

If Auburn can afford to pay Barbee 1.5 Mil a year, and he only gets 6,000 in attendance, and has a 47-97 record.  We should be able to get CMA a practice facility if he averages 14,000 in attendance (20th in the nation) and has a record 53-45 record at Arkansas.  I'm sorry there's no logical explanation to argue against us not having one and everybody else does. It's a necessity if you expect us to be able to recruit and train elite talent.  Jeff Long and both Mike Anderson realize this, that's why every time a mic is put in front of them they press the issue.  Only in Arkansas and Mississippi do people think you can get full results by doing things half way.

I don't believe anyone has actually made the argument that we should not have one. Being able to see why we donors of a program that used to be very successful (thus probably have higher expectations) might not be so quick to fork over cash given than the program's been mediocre or less than mediocre the last 10 or so years isn't the same as saying we shouldn't have one.

Everyone believes we should have and need one. Some of us understand why we don't.

Hawg Red

Bottom line: The money needed isn't being offered.

Why is that?

Probably because we aren't winning. Really doesn't matter if the other 13 SEC teams have a practice facility or not, does it? We don't and we're having trouble getting it going.

Swinesong1

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 08:01:59 pm

Very sensible post!  What successful, progressive thinking company "waits" for something good to happen BEFORE they move forward?  None!  The lack of a practice facility is a joke!  Would it make a difference in recruiting?  Maybe, maybe not but to have a "until we win, you're not getting one" mentality is suicidal.

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 08:06:43 pm
Everyone believes we should have and need one. Some of us understand why we don't.

That doesn't make sense, If everybody believed we need one, we would have one.  Isn't the hold up because a lot of donors believe we don't need one, thus not willing to donate funds for it?  At least that's what I thought.

mizzouman

September 04, 2013, 08:17:48 pm #35 Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 09:09:52 pm by mizzouman
This facility is a done deal. Folks are waiting to see what appens this year. MA will get the Hogs into the NCAAT and the money will flow. Don't worry

Boston RedHogs

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 08:15:02 pm
That doesn't make sense, If everybody believed we need one, we would have one.  Isn't the hold up because a lot of donors believe we don't need one, thus not willing to donate funds for it?  At least that's what I thought.

If true, then Long, CMA, and co. haven't been successful in selling donors on the need for the facility.

Look, I get that major donors are disheartened over the last 10-15 years.  That said, you can't let recent shortcomings dictate and hinder future success by drying up resources and putting the UofA at a competitive disadvantage vs the 13 other schools in the league.

It would be one thing if we've never experienced success at a high level at this institution.   That's not the case.  We know we can get there again because we've already been there.  What we can't do is wait for mid-90s success for turn of the century / millennial investment.

Bill and Ted summed it up best:
"We can't have a triumphant video until we have Eddie Van Halen."
"Well, we can't get Eddie Van Halen until we have a triumphant video"

Chicken and egg, I know; but we can't wait because the only thing we can be sure of at this point is that the lack of a practice facility puts us, and our coaches, at a significant disadvantage that all the good looks and personality will never overcome.

Kevin

How about donors are tired of being hit up for money constantly.
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Hawg Red

Quote from: -Blu on September 04, 2013, 08:15:02 pm

Everyone as in fans. Don't be dense.

No one on here is making the argument that we shouldn't have one, like you said.

Hawg Red

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 04, 2013, 08:13:46 pm
Very sensible post!  What successful, progressive thinking company "waits" for something good to happen BEFORE they move forward?  None!  The lack of a practice facility is a joke!  Would it make a difference in recruiting?  Maybe, maybe not but to have a "until we win, you're not getting one" mentality is suicidal.

So you're questioning the successful businessmen that would be putting up the money?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Kevin on September 04, 2013, 09:31:46 pm
How about donors are tired of being hit up for money constantly.
Is that not the purpose of being a donor?  Get off the donor list if you don't want to be "hit up" for money constantly.

Hawg Red

Blu, Swinesong1, others - Why is Jeff Long meeting so much resistance in getting this done?

If proving you are worth the investment isn't the reason, what is?

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 09:46:56 pm
So you're questioning the successful businessmen that would be putting up the money?
What does that have to do with Razorback sports?  Whether we want to believe it or not, it's a business.  To stand stagnant in the business world while your direct competition is moving forward is not a wise business decision.

Swinesong1

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 09:49:15 pm
Blu, Swinesong1, others - Why is Jeff Long meeting so much resistance in getting this done?

If proving you are worth the investment isn't the reason, what is?
The great big pink elephant in the room is there is backlash from hiring a Nolan connected coach. 

FATHAWG08

It's time for the people of Northwest Arkansas to step up and get it done. The U of A have lost big time donations in Central/South Arkansas namely  Stephens, (what a fine Arena UALR has now) because of the attitude that is becoming of that part of the state. The reason we still have footbal in LR is because of one thing donations from Cemtral/ South Arkansas. As soon as the U of A gets everything built then the games are gone. The U of A still needs the money from us. Northwest Arkansas can't support The U of A by itself but they want the U of A to itself. Good Luck!!
I love off season Football!!

-Blu

Quote from: Hawg Red on September 04, 2013, 09:46:56 pm

You are correct.  I'm questioning the reasoning because it makes no sense. 

I'm confused on your view about this Hawg Red, you say we need it and should have it, yet you are defending why we don't have one, there's no logical defense.  If we want to be an elite level team we need to give our players and coaching staff the resources to do so.  It's like your trying to be on both sides of the fence, either you think we need one or you don't.  That's like being on a jury and saying "Yea, I know the guy is innocent" but I can see why he could be mistaken for guilty and thrown in jail.  Either you think he's innocent or not.

-Blu

Quote from: Swinesong1 on September 04, 2013, 09:53:38 pm
The great big pink elephant in the room is there is backlash from hiring a Nolan connected coach.

ding ding... I didn't want to be the one to say it.

mbgrulz

There is ABSOLUTELY no intelligent argument against getting a practice facility.

BWA is great, but its 20 years old and doesn't do the job of serving both programs adequately.

mbgrulz

Winning helps, but...one could argue

Barn Hill being a dump got BWA built
Not being the same as the Mississippi schools (50K capacity) got RS expanded
We got the the Fred Smith center going after a 7-5 season IRRC.

Petrino got it going in year 3 after 2 average years (1 without a bowl). CMA has a chance to be pretty good in year 3 after 2 average years. CMA took over a program in MUCH worse shape.

DOGALUM

Auburn is a horrible example.   

Auburn didn't fall from the top like we did.   Auburn has never been to the top like us.   THAT is what makes the difference in the minds of the donors.   If you've never been there.....you don't know what you are missing.....and crappy teams don't seem quite so crappy as they do to us.   

I assure you  that if Kentucky had the same run that we have had......after over a decade of it their donors would demand more out of the team to open their wallets up too.   
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!